Thread: TGT Coach Mode OD (360) Slider Review

• Facebook
  • Display

TGT Coach Mode OD (360) Slider Review

So far the sliders that we have been using seems a lot better to me. If there is one concern it might be that there is to many penalties. The biggest culprit being the infamous twenty yard gain nullifying holding penalty.

Since the change my Florida Atlantic Owls have won two straight games. Bringing the winning streak to three games. The streak started with a win against South Florida using the Heisman set. The only thing that I think

needs to be followed is beating superior teams to often. Now I am not saying this is a concern but just something to keep an eye on. Commissioner Coach Kernzy has been working pretty hard to get us the best set of sliders

for our league, so I think it's important that we continue to offer feedback. Another difference that I've noticed with these sliders is the execution of certain plays. The one that comes to mind is the play action passes out

of the shot gun. Several times I've seen the Quarterback hand the ball off which actually aborts the play action. I think that this is important because EA introduced this as an enhancement in game play for NCAA 13. Prior to

switching to this varsity set of sliders I rarely recall seeing this if any. So if EA intended for the Quarterback to have the ability to abort play action passes, it seems to me that if you were not seeing this in Coach Mode then we

probably didn't have the right set of sliders for the game to be played as EA intended. This is no longer a problem which leads me to believe that we are on the right track. Below I have posted the statistical results from my last

game. I beat lowly New Mexico State 31-7. Here's how we did it. Player stats are in the spoiler.

NMSU C- FAU C-
    Score 7 31
    1ST DOWNS 9 17
    3rd down conversions 2/8 7/10
    4th down conversions 0/3 0/1
    TOTAL OFFENSE 184 367
    PASSING YARDS 161 209
    Completions/Attempts 16/29 11/17
    Yards Per Attempt 5.6 12.3
    RUSHING YARDS 23 158
    Rushing Attempts 12 38
    Yard Per Rush 1.9 4.2
    PENALTIES-YARDS 3-23 5-50
    TURNOVERS 1 1
    Fumbles Lost 0 0
    Interceptions Thrown 1 1
    POSSESSION 10:18 25:42
    Spoiler: show
    PASSING

NMSU CMP/ATT YDS TD INT
    T. Colwell 16/29 161 1 1
    FAU CMP/ATT YDS TD INT
    M. German 10/15 205 1 1
    N. Dorvilus 1/2 4 0 0
    RUSHING

NMSU ATT YDS TD LNG
    A. Mustafa 7 19 0 10
    A. Shapiro 1 7 0 7
    T. Colwell 4 -3 0 10
    FAU ATT YDS TD LNG
    M. Jackson 14 108 1 19
    C. White 7 22 0 10
    D. Fortner 4 19 1 9
    T. Moore 4 15 0 6
    C. Jackson 2 6 0 6
    N. Dorvilus 2 -4 0 0
    M. German 5 -8 1 1
    RECEIVING

NMSU CTH YDS TD LNG
    A. Franklin 3 58 1 35
    A. Mustafa 5 49 0 21
    P. Scroggins 4 45 0 14
    A. Shapiro 3 11 0 6
    G. Morrison 1 -2 0 0
    FAU CTH YDS TD LNG
    N. Dorvilus 1 48 0 48
    D. Williams 2 44 0 25
    M. Bullard 3 43 1 27
    T. Mitchell 3 37 0 22
    C. White 1 21 0 21
    D. Richardson 1 16 0 16
    Last edited by BOSSMO X; 08-11-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Freshman
    It seems that the current sliders seem a bit too easy. I personally cannot get much of a running game going (although that doesn't seem to be an issue for you, Bossmo), but outside of the redzone, it seems like the computer doesn't do a great job of defending the pass. One look at my team's stat history and you'd know to focus on the pass. Having said that, the computer consistently falls for the play action (even when I have passed 95% up to that point in the game) and can't seem to contain the ball possession, "chip away" short passes that I have been running.

Beyond that, the computer doesn't seem to compensate effectively for blitzes. There are two counters to the blitz that can render it ineffective. You can either add blockers (have the HB or FB stay back to offer additional blocking) or get rid of the ball quickly via short passes (preferably to the area where the blitz originated). With the current sliders, I don't know that the computer does either consistently.

As far as offering a solution, I think we all know that there is no quick fix. This is more a matter of trial and error, and unfortunately, it is likely going to be a long term effort. In the meantime, however, I would suggest that we consider raising the difficulty level at least one level, as I think if there are going to be growing pains either way, we are better off erring on the side of making things a bit too difficult than too easy for the user.
    Last edited by PeaceWithin; 08-11-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Solid post PeaceWithin thanks. Your post will be very helpful in determining what to do next. I have to say that you might be right. Try the more cautious approach and go from there.
    As long as we keep working at it we'll find the best set. I think we"re close.

My week 8 game was very close despite the score. It was 21-21 in the 4th. The adjustments that were made slider wise were ok. At times though it felt like Heisman but I guess that's a good thing.

My Quarterback was 18-36 and at times it seemed like he couldn't hit the side of a barn. My running numbers seemed kinda high with me going for 221 on 32 carries but one of those was my longest run of the season

an 80 yarder. I also used this updated set in my other dynasty with my #2 ranked Seminoles against a bad Gator team in the swamp. We won it at the end 24-20 Florida turned it over inside the 10 with under a minute to play.

So yeah I think that the adjustments make the games a lot more competitive. My last two games didn't get decided till the end. So that made for a good challenge. Owls lead the way! All the way!

OK good deal. I'll keep checking out stats and everyone's feedback to keep tweaking.

With the new patch dropping today I'm thinking we just set the league to default Heisman and make minor adjustments weekly.
    Hopefully the patch fixes some of the issues with the game.
    I say Heisman because I really don't think any of us are going to lose much if any on Varsity or AA. I could be wrong but Heisman will give us our best challenge and allow for more realistic W/L records for everyone.
    Thoughts?

That new patch is not going to help us because most of the things addressed pertained to actually playing the game and not coach mode.

The dynasty updates are the things that will help us. As far as playing on default Heisman, well lets just say that I think it's USER suicide.

Before we just jumped to default Heisman it might be better to just go back to the Authentic Heisman set. Instead of starting from default

and then tweaking from there. That's my opinion but if everyone wants to go to Heisman default then I'll just get my hard hat on and get with

the program. In that first season we all lost about 3 games. So even though I don't gauge slider worth based on winning and losing I guess

that was about right. In the end to me it's more about the how it happened and not what happened! Owls lead the way! All the way!

Heisman sliders

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Kernzy View Post
    With the new patch dropping today I'm thinking we just set the league to default Heisman and make minor adjustments weekly.
    Hopefully the patch fixes some of the issues with the game.
    I say Heisman because I really don't think any of us are going to lose much if any on Varsity or AA. I could be wrong but Heisman will give us our best challenge and allow for more realistic W/L records for everyone.
    Thoughts?
    *Won against BYU. Tough game but i would say fair. *
    Primary issue is Bgsu QB completed 60% in 10 games as a freshman, 60% as a sophomore in real life. In 2 seasons with this league he's been 51.3 and this year is under 50%. In my 3 games against 2 really bad teams and one mediocre he couldn't hit open receivers with no pressure on him at least half dozen times each of the 1st two games. I limited pass attempts in the last game but still had 3 or 4 blatant misses. Route doesn't matter. He's missed on all types.

FAU wins a tough one back at home in South Florida after having Troy beat up on them last week. Like you coach J, coach Ken Moore is having a hard time figuring out what has happened to his

signal caller this season. FAU starting quarterback Melvin German came into the season as the Sun Belts preseason 1st team all conference quarterback. Last season he broke the NCAA's all

time single season QBR with a rating of 204. Now he's inconstant and sometimes he can't hit the side of a barn if he was leaning on it. This season he's sporting a QBR of 136.8 with 11 TD's and 13 INT's.

As far as sliders go the games have gotten a lot tougher, which is what we wanted. The only thing that I hate is there seems to be too many holding penalties. Also did anyone notice that they fixed the

promise glitch? All of our promises are accurate now. The promises that were multiplied have been deleted. Congratulations to ZitPopper and his Washington State Cougars for cracking the top 25. They are

currently the 22nd ranked team in the country.
    Last edited by BOSSMO X; 08-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.

Freshman
    Thanks, Bossmo. My ranking won't last long though, I assure you. As you pointed out, these next three weeks are pretty tough on the Washington State schedule, and I imagine I'll fall out of the top 25 after my next game... So much for optimism, eh?

Anywho, as for sliders, if we decide to adopt any, my vote is for ILiveForThis and Authentic's. Over on the OS forums they have a pretty big write up, and no offense to any other slider makers, but these guys REALLY seem to know what they're doing. I use them in one of my single player leagues and I think they're awesome. I'm sure they were thrown out of whack by the new patch, but knowing these guys, they'll have accurate adjustments made in no time.

They seem to put a ton of time into research and are incredibly open to feedback from the community, being especially quick to address needs as they are pointed out. I'd recommend we give them time to work on adjusting their sliders to the patch, read the feeedback from the community, and then jump on their sliders. Time to go get my butt kicked by USC! 'Night

Yeah PeaceWithin those are the sliders that we pretty much have always used. The set that we use now started with their varsity set. When we first started with NCAA 13 we were using their Heisman set.

I mentioned to commissioner Coach Kernzy that maybe we should go back to that ILiveForThis Heisman set and he agreed. But like you mentioned I think it is wise to give them some time to adjust

the set after this latest patch. I see you really have it going. 15th in the country wow! Now that's up there.You'll probably be ranked higher after what you did to USC . Good job my man keep it rolling.

Owls lead the way! All the way!

I'll be inputting these http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2043853340 when I get home tonight and then advance when everyone is ready.

Authenic, says these are playing great after the patch so we shall see, here's hoping we can get a challenge and even lose the games we should lose.

Coach Kernzy I think in order to get these sliders to play as they intended you have to have the time and auto subs the same as they do. More importantly the auto sub.

I honestly think that's a big part of the of the equation. If you look at the entire list you will see that they even have the play calling set to ask coach.

If we are going to try these we need to go straight down the list. Remember they made these sliders for simulation football. A user and his play calling can cause the CPU

to many problems because of unrealistic play calling. The ask coach feature ensures that the game has a simulation style game flow. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If we want realism and a real challenge we need to go with ask coach play calling. So basically keeping their set as they have it all the way down with the exception of the

presentation stuff but hell if you want I don't have a problem with changing that either. So that's my opinion if we really want a coach mode challenge that's the way I think that we should

go. Owls lead the way! All the way!

I'm going to change the sliders to mirror what they have over there but honestly, auto subs and all that should make no difference...now if a guy is always audibling to a long pass when the CPU blitzes like it does a lot then we're going to always beat the computer. It does come down to playing sim style football and also realizing that the cpu has limitations and we shouldn't exploit them every chance we get.
    I'm thinking of implementing a rule where you can only have 1 guy in a play running a streak right or the like because that is the main issue, the CPU can get beat easily over the top with multiple guys running deep, it gets confused and can't handle it.
    I'm going to test those sliders when I get home tonight and we'll see how it goes.

Well maybe not but think about this there are some positions that never sub like OL, QB etc.. Their sliders try to mirror this. So if you are pounding the running game

and your left tackle is on red he stays in the game tired that's real ball. That type of stuff probably effects the game in ways that we can't notice but it's there. It also forces you

to play with pace to keep your players from tiring so fast. That way users have a harder time exploiting the no huddle, which they actually use as a hurry up offense in a non hurry

up situation. But I am with you on implementing the hot route rule. We should probably even think about limiting hot routes to ,two players or less. That's just a thought.

Well I'm all for following things to a tee but many of those things are out of my control so everybody would just be on the honor system.
    At the end of the day I'd like to find sliders and settings that are hard enough for everyone so that we lose the games we should and win the ones we should with a few exceptions here and there.