Thread: gschwendt's Guide to the 3-3-5 Defense in NCAA Football 13

• Facebook
  • Display

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    By far the biggest advantage is that because you don't have 4 with a hand in the dirt, I think this line says it best:
    "With 8 guys who have coverage skills, there will often be one dropping that you do not expect to drop, and a blitzer that the OL has not accounted for."

In the 425, you're always rushing at least 4 but in the 335, you might rush only 3 and drop 8 into coverage. That, combined with the fact that you now have extra variables for the offense to consider (for one, is that extra LB going to blitz or cover), you give something for the offense to consider.

While the 425 probably has the advantage a bit in run defense because you have 4 on the line, the 335 can compensate with the right LBs that can provide the run stopping while still allowing them to cover (something DL rarely ever have).
    Good points G, though I feel like (to an extent) those schematic differences are a factor in real-life that doesn't apply to the game, because of near-psychic protection and things like that. Still good points though. And dropping 8 doesn't do much good if you don't trust zone coverage (which I don't right now).

One reason I struggle with the 3-3-5 is that I'm not very good at changing it up and running exotic blitzes or plays. So part of the upside of the 3-3-5 is eliminated by my own coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    I also think it's cool how the Goal Line is different in the 3-3-5, it shows a 6-3-2 and a 5-3-3. There are some nice package subs too as far as speed and jumbo, etc.
    If memory serves, those distinct Goalline formations are in multiple PBs, including the 4-2-5 and perhaps the 3-4. In fact, they might both be in everything, I just can't remember at the moment.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud