Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun HB Counter?

• Facebook
  • Display
    If you would, post what formations work and what ones don't. I don't think the playbook itself matters but always good to post as much detail like that as well.

Sometimes I wish I could get paid to do this...I used to do this kinda QB testing at a computer software place I used to work at for Ford Motor Company software....anyways!

I found another trick. If I put the GAME SPEED on NORMAL then the Shotgun Counter plays DO WORK from Shotgun formations in ALL playbook styles.

I was using some sliders that had the game speed to SLOW and if I leave the game speed on SLOW the Shotgun Counter plays from Spread Style Playbooks DO NOT WORK. They do work from in other styles (Air Raid, Pro, RnS, etc...).

So, it has something to do w/ the Game Speed (again, NORMAL everything works fine) and it seems to effect the Spread Style playbooks when the game speed is set to SLOW.

I hope someone can pass this along to EA and it can be used for a good cause. Anything to make the game better right?

JOB #1, fix my online dynasty and default sliders to have the game speed set to NORMAL. and oh yes, we'd like to WELCOME the SPREAD offense to UMASS!
    Last edited by gigemaggs99; 07-30-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Well ain't that a pickle?

I figure whoever at EA has access to the big long paragraph of code for the SPREAD style offenses needs to add/remove a comma here or a space there so they match the same SG formation Counter coding they have entered for RNS, Pro, AIR RAID when game speed = slow.

Good luck men! Keep fighting the good fight!

Thanks, Gus. I have my speed set to slow. I'll change it to normal next time I play and see if these plays now work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Wait ... if your play style is Spread they don't work, but they work for other play styles? Same formation? What about custom books, where there should be no difference between the formations?

That makes no freakin' sense.

Side note: Pretty cool that you used to do testing for Ford. One of my managers was ex-Ford.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Wait ... if your play style is Spread they don't work, but they work for other play styles? Same formation? What about custom books, where there should be no difference between the formations?

That makes no freakin' sense.

Side note: Pretty cool that you used to do testing for Ford. One of my managers was ex-Ford.

Steelerfan, glad I can help, everyone else always gives me help and tips here so I'm just glad for once I can give back.

As far as Ford goes, yes I used to provide technical support and QA test the "CPD" (computerized publication display) it's the "Chilton Manual" on a DVD for all their models of cars. Besides troubleshooting it over the phone with Parts and Service Managers from around the US we also had to QA it and try and break it and find issues with the monthly updates.

I haven't tried making a Custom Spread Style Playbook. I assume each "style" activates something though. That's why you still have to choose a base playbook, then it activates Kirk talking about your game at the beginning when the other guys says, "Kirk, tell us about the offense and what we should expect...." This triggers something in the programming to talk Spread, Air Raid, etc...

If I had to guess, if you put your game speed on SLOW and make a custom PB with a Spread style as the base I doubt they would work, just my guessing.

As far as the formations not being different, I think it doesn't have to do w/ the formations at all, it again has to do w/ the code for "spread" each style should have it's own code to trigger different events.

Quote Originally Posted by gigemaggs99 View Post
    it again has to do w/ the code for "spread" each style should have it's own code to trigger different events.
    Well, as far as I was aware until this conversation occurred, I knew of no connection between the "style" of the playbook and the result of the plays contained therein. You mentioned "coding they have entered for RNS, Pro, AIR RAID when game speed = slow". I would personally be very, very surprised if they had coding for that granular level, unless it was put in to fix an unrelated bug. It's certainly possible though.

I'm sure others had confirmed it, but I just did anyway. Sure enough ... Spread = whistled dead. I also confirmed that Custom Playbooks act just like their base style ... a Spread custom book fails, while an Air Raid custom book works. I also confirmed that there is only one "HB Counter" in the Custom Playbook selection, at least for the formation I was comparing (Shotgun Spread - HB Counter).

You guys that have tested it, does the play get whistled dead right from the start no matter what?

I've seen the play work and not work. From the few times that I've seen it not work, it's usually if a rusher breaks free and is unevaded to the RB.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    You guys that have tested it, does the play get whistled dead right from the start no matter what?

I've seen the play work and not work. From the few times that I've seen it not work, it's usually if a rusher breaks free and is unevaded to the RB.
    For me, when I tested it, the very SECOND the QB handed the ball off to the HB, it was instantaneously whistled dead in the backfield for a 2-3 yard loss.

Same as SmoothPancakes for me, if my game speed was set to SLOW it was as soon as I hiked the ball. If I put the game speed on Normal the play works just fine, from every formation.

If I had all that fancy video recording stuff some of you guys have I'd post videos of it. I just don't have that fancy gear.

+1. The second. No matter what I called.

I just changed my Game Speed to Normal, and now the HB Counters seem to work.

So basically then, just completely strip all HB Counters out of my custom playbook until EA fixes this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    So basically then, just completely strip all HB Counters out of my custom playbook until EA fixes this issue.
    I dunno. I think Normal Game Speed fixes it. I've been running them all day with ND and haven't had a problem since going to Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I dunno. I think Normal Game Speed fixes it. I've been running them all day with ND and haven't had a problem since going to Normal.

Well yeah, it sounds fine on normal, but I prefer slow game speed, so essentially it's still broken and unusable for me.

Well yeah, it sounds fine on normal, but I prefer slow game speed, so essentially it's still broken and unusable for me.
    I prefer Slow, too. I'm making the change to Normal so I don't have the CPU calling it against me. If it gets fixed, I'll go back.

I prefer "slow" gameplay speed as well, but I prefer the Counter actually working more...hopefully they can get it worked out. Back in the day we didn't have a game speed change option so I kinda figure if it works on Normal that's good enough for me.

Is that your final answer?

I was just about to come on here and declare this "FIXED", because I was using a Spread PB and having no issues with running counters.

Then I jumped in Practice Mode a second time to confirm, and had nothing but.

EDIT: And, apparently, I'm back on a horse that we thought we'd already

So I just played a Play Now game with Mississippi State (using team-specific Spread playbook), and ran as many counters as I could, including different formations and some formations that I had seen blown dead just minutes before in practice mode. Not a single one was blown dead.

So, experiment time. I'll run the HB Counter plays from four formations Practice Mode, each out of Mississippi State's playbook:
    • Y-Trips
    • Y-Trips HB Wk
    • Normal Flex Wing
    • 4WR Trio Str

Each play will be run against a 4-3 2-Man Under, to reduce the possible variables. I'll be using Florida State for my test, as it was their team that inspired this test.

In the following table, each HB on FSU will run each HB Counter play three times. The data in the table represents the number of successful runs (in other words, not blown dead).

Number Height Y-Trips Y-Trips HB Wk Normal Flex Wing 4WR Trio Str
    FSU #4 5'8 0/3 0/3 0/3 0/3
    FSU #8 5'8 0/3 0/3 0/3 0/3
    FSU #32 6'2 3/3 3/3 3/3 3/3
    FSU #21 6'0 3/3 3/3 3/3 3/3
    FSU #28 5'8 0/3 0/3 0/3 0/3
    Edited #4 5'9 3/3 3/3 3/3 3/3
    Edited #32 5'7 0/3 0/3 0/3 0/3

In short: 5'8 or shorter: BAD. 5'9 or taller: GOOD. (Note that when I edited a player that was being blown dead to 5'9, he suddenly worked, and a player that had been working did not at 5'7).

These results were repeatable across playbook styles, including Multiple and Air Raid.

LMAO, it wasn't until after I posted this that I went back to the previous page and was reminded of this conversation:
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I read on OS that they believe it has something to do with the height of the HB that determines if it'll be blown dead or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Yep. I tested it also and it was blown dead every time for me. Same team, same play, same player. Blown dead for me and steeler, not blown dead for snoop. Your guess is as good as mine.
    Simple. Snoop is the dirty little liar I've always believed him to be
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-18-2012 at 01:15 AM.