Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Olympics Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Yeah I could tell about 3 minutes in this was just an ass kicking in the making. Apparently I think I heard only 1 country outside of Asia has EVER won a medal in the event.
    Well, we own their ass in basketball, soccer (women's at least), beach volleyball, swimming, track and field. Gotta toss them a bone now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    First step: Properly spelling badminton.
    Nah. We need to DOMINATE the sport and spell it however we want!

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Well, we own their ass in basketball, soccer (women's at least), beach volleyball, swimming, track and field. Gotta toss them a bone now and then.
    Nah we need these sports b/c China is starting to catch us in overall medals. I think we have won the most medals at every summer Olympics since 1992.

Nah. We need to DOMINATE the sport and spell it however we want!

Nah we need these sports b/c China is starting to catch us in overall medals. I think we have won the most medals at every summer Olympics since 1992.
    I love your style!

Alright, so watching water polo right now between Hungary and Serbia. Question. What the hell is with the constant damn whistling in water polo? The only time I ever watch it (or see it on TV for that matter) is during the Olympics.

I love your style!

Alright, so watching water polo right now between Hungary and Serbia. Question. What the hell is with the constant damn whistling in water polo? The only time I ever watch it (or see it on TV for that matter) is during the Olympics.
    Foul call.

I LOVE water polo and we actually have a pretty good squad this year and a decent shot at a medal and might even steal a gold.

You guys probably didn't see my EDITs:
    1: Only one non-Asian country (Denmark) has won Gold, but Denmark, GB and the Netherlands have combined for 10% of the medals.
    2: It's only been in Olympic participation since 1996, so "EVER" is relatively speaking
    3: Denmark is the only non-Asian country to have double-digits in badminton participation in every Olympics from 96-08. So part of the problem is the field is stacked with Asian countries. EDIT: Though the field is comprised of those who qualify, so maybe it's the entire sport that is stacked with Asian countries.

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but (most) can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

1: Only one non-Asian country (Denmark) has won Gold, but Denmark, GB and the Netherlands have combined for 10% of the medals.
    2: It's only been in Olympic participation since 1996, so "EVER" is relatively speaking
    3: Denmark is the only non-Asian country to have double-digits in badminton participation in every Olympics from 96-08. So part of the problem is the field is stacked with Asian countries. EDIT: Though the field is comprised of those who qualify, so maybe it's the entire sport that is stacked with Asian countries.

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but (most) can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.
    Perhaps they have good reflex/hand eye coordination but lack brute force/power? We suck at ping pong too apparently! UNACCEPTABLE! I demand a stimulous package where we spend billions of $ on these sports we suck at. Benefit? It will probably create more jobs than the previous stimulous package and we actually might win some olympic medals in 2016 in Brazil.

Foul call.

I LOVE water polo and we actually have a pretty good squad this year and a decent shot at a medal and might even steal a gold.
    So what all constitutes fouls then? Because the whistles seem to blow every 5-10 seconds, sometimes almost nonstop.

Another question, what are the green and red lines for? I'm assuming the red line is sort of like a "do not pass/offside" boundary for the players.

All good points, and I have to agree with that observation. Not sure why.

Perhaps they have good reflex/hand eye coordination but lack brute force/power? We suck at ping pong too apparently! UNACCEPTABLE! I demand a stimulous package where we spend billions of $ on these sports we suck at. Benefit? It will probably create more jobs than the previous stimulous package and we actually might win some olympic medals in 2016 in Brazil.
    Or we could just lobby to get beer pong made an Olympic sport. Now THAT we would kick ass in!

Or we could just lobby to get beer pong made an Olympic sport. Now THAT we would kick ass in!
    The problem if we kick too much ass in a sport the IOC just removes it from the olympics (see softball).

Big upset there water polo is like Hungary's national past time. Although that makes me re-think how impressed I was with USA's friendly win over Hungary recently?

USA water polo on now bitches!

The problem if we kick too much ass in a sport the IOC just removes it from the olympics (see softball).
    Yeah, I'm still pissed about baseball and softball getting the boot. I am happy that Rugby is getting added in 2016, that will be a lot of fun to watch, even if it is only going to be Rugby sevens.

Well, to be fair, I don't think we've ever seen a talent gap for an Olympic sport like there was for softball. Maybe men's basketball, but only in 1992 and not before/since.

I am happy that Rugby is getting added in 2016, that will be a lot of fun to watch, even if it is only going to be Rugby sevens.
    And another sport we suck at.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Holy cow! Womens weight lifting. Just broke the Olympic Record. Wow!

Goalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

BAD 1st quarter for team USA but tied 1-1 goalie playing well keeping us in it early

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Holy cow! Womens weight lifting. Just broke the Olympic Record. Wow!
    Who? What weight class? How much?

Anyone playing fantasy olympics pick em on ESPN. Right now I have 11 points good for 94.8%

2-1! USA! USA!

3-2 USA after a "Power Play" goal. LMAO no clue what you call it after an "ejection" or whatever they call it