Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 London Olympics Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

2012 London Olympics Discussion Thread

Hopefully, I'm not the only one that cannot get enough of the Olympics. I've been glued to the t.v. all day long watching sports I only watch once every 4 years.

Phelps looked AWFUL this morning. I think he decided to go to London

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Hopefully, I'm not the only one that cannot get enough of the Olympics. I've been glued to the t.v. all day long watching sports I only watch once every 4 years.

Phelps looked AWFUL this morning. I think he decided to go to London
    I've been watching quite a bit. I've enjoyed it and will be watching this throughout. My wife and kids enjoy pretty all of it.

Where is the nearest handball court when you need one?

Hahaha

Yeah, count me as an Olympics junkee as well. I am most looking forward to the rowing and triathalon.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Yeah, count me as an Olympics junkee as well. I am most looking forward to the rowing and triathalon.
    My wife likes gymnastics the best. Me its a tough call but I'd probably go with water polo. You gotta be in SUPER shape to basically tread water for as long as they do while some other big dude is trying to drown you.

Not sure of my favorite, I just enjoy them all. Lol

Phelps' body language has been AWFUL. I saw his interview on ESPN and a few other places and you could just tell he wasn't into it 100% and I told my wife he was going to FLOP in London. I wouldn't be surprised if he went 0 fer (other than the relays).

I play handball often.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I play handball often.
    Love me some handball!

Watched our 2nd gold this morning in women's skeet shooting. It was amazing to just watch how quick they found the target and poof gone.

I'm watching soccer right now on the Olympic Soccer channel. Belarus had a 1-0 lead over Brazil in the first 10 minutes, Brazil answered 7 minutes later and still tied 1-1 just before halftime.

Men's Bball looked pretty good against France. The ONLY way I see them losing is if someone just plays zone the ENTIRE game and USA just goes stone cold from 3.

Got to catch part of the cycling Road Race on Saturday before I flew out, but didn't get to see the end. Sounded like a, overall, disappointing race though.

Other than that, I expect I'll watch the women's gymnastics team final on Tuesday night (if I don't get the results spoiled at some point during the day), and that's about it. Normally I love the Olympics, I just have too much going on right now to devote much time to watch it. I also have a larger variety of sports that I enjoy watching during the Winter Games. While I was on the track team in HS, I've never enjoyed watching track.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Well, Brazil beats Belarus 3-1, but it was a damn close game the entire way through. Belarus went up 1-0 in the 8th minute, Brazil tied it up in the 15th minute, took the 2-1 lead in the 65th minute and scored an injury time goal just seconds before the final whistle. I was very impressed by the game Belarus played. Going up against a juggernaut like Brazil, they really took it to Brazil, at least in the first half.

WOW! What a let down for Uruguay. They were losing 1-0 to Senegal in the early minutes, a Senegal player got straight red carded (he already had a yellow in the match, but committed a big enough foul that he was straight hit with a red instead of yellow-red) only 30 minutes in, giving Uruguay the man up advantage the final 60 minutes of the match, Senegal gets a second goal just minutes later while playing with only 10 men to take a 2-0 lead and that ends up being the final as Uruguay can't score a thing despite the man-up advantage.

WTF why do we suck at badmitten. Losing to some 3rd world Asian nations? That's it new law requiring everyone to play badmitten at all BBQs until we can field a decent badmitten team.

An interesting subplot will be wither China defeats us in the overall medal count. I've long thought it is only a matter of time before China becomes the DOMINANT sports superpower.

WTF why do we suck at badmitten. Losing to some 3rd world Asian nations? That's it new law requiring everyone to play badmitten at all BBQs until we can field a decent badmitten team.

An interesting subplot will be wither China defeats us in the overall medal count. I've long thought it is only a matter of time before China becomes the DOMINANT sports superpower.
    Man, Malaysia be kicking our ass.

Correction, Malaysia done kicked our ass.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Correction, Malaysia done kicked our ass.
    Yeah I could tell about 3 minutes in this was just an ass kicking in the making. Apparently I think I heard only 1 country outside of Asia has EVER won a medal in the event.

First step: Properly spelling badminton.

1: Only one non-Asian country (Denmark) has won Gold, but Denmark, GB and the Netherlands have combined for 10% of the medals.
    2: It's only been in Olympic participation since 1996, so "EVER" is relatively speaking
    3: Denmark is the only non-Asian country to have double-digits in badminton participation in every Olympics from 96-08. So part of the problem is the field is stacked with Asian countries. EDIT: Though the field is comprised of those who qualify, so maybe it's the entire sport that is stacked with Asian countries.

EDIT 4: Why are the Asian countries so good at the "reaction time" sports (e.g. Badminton, Ping-Pong), but can't compete athletically in so many other sports? It's an interesting observation.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 07-29-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud