Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sliders: Player Min Speed Threshold

• Facebook
  • Display
    I would love to hear from the EA developers on this as to what their goals/purposes were. Simply to add the "feature" but not discuss its nature nor effectiveness seems a little silly IMO. I moved mine to 45 and then 40 and saw no real difference so for the sake of argument I just put it back to 50 and I suspect that is where it will stay for now.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy38 View Post
    Did you mean (0) or (100) for Player Min Speed Threshold? Huge difference there - if it's working! In theory, setting PMST to (0) should yield the greatest separation while (100) should tighten them up.
    Toward the end, I had it at 100 Min/Max (so the difference shouldn't be as much) and was still seeing little to no separation on Heisman compared to greater separation Freshman with the same settings. The slider didn't appear to be doing anything to dictate the separation, the difficulty was.

I used this slider for Madden 09. It definitely shows who has elite speed in the league, and I always played with it on 0, so if a person had 99 speed, a person with 90 speed wasn't going to catch up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Toward the end, I had it at 100 Min/Max (so the difference shouldn't be as much) and was still seeing little to no separation on Heisman compared to greater separation Freshman with the same settings. The slider didn't appear to be doing anything to dictate the separation, the difficulty was.
    I'm not following you...if you had the PMST slider set to (100), there would be little separation between the players anyway. If the slider was set to (0), you should see even more separation between the players - if it's working properly. Maybe it's how you're wording it, but it's confusing me!

I do understand that difficulty level has an effect on player separation. Player separation gets narrower as difficulty level increases. In theory, PMST set to (0) should widen those gaps back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy38 View Post
    I'm not following you...if you had the PMST slider set to (100), there would be little separation between the players anyway. If the slider was set to (0), you should see even more separation between the players - if it's working properly. Maybe it's how you're wording it, but it's confusing me!
    He's basically saying that whether it was at 0 or 100, on Heisman there was little to no separation, whereas on Freshman there was greater separation.

I still think that the Locomotion changes nullified any impact this slider would have had. I'm very intrigued to see if Madden 11 has any PMST slider impact, because on Madden 10 it did have some impact. I'm guessing that will be nullified on Madden 11 just like NCAA.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    He's basically saying that whether it was at 0 or 100, on Heisman there was little to no separation, whereas on Freshman there was greater separation.
    Actually, there appeared to be no differential at all with the slider on down the field coverage. Apparently this slider does absolutely nothing for coverages and pretty much only affects speed out of the backfield relative to the defender and RB/QB getting separation from the line of scrimmage without being ran down by 320 pound defensive lineman.

There is a thread about this on OS with actual numbers.......

I still think that the Locomotion changes nullified any impact this slider would have had. I'm very intrigued to see if Madden 11 has any PMST slider impact, because on Madden 10 it did have some impact. I'm guessing that will be nullified on Madden 11 just like NCAA.
    Gotcha. I had a feeling this is what he meant, but wanted to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Actually, there appeared to be no differential at all with the slider on down the field coverage. Apparently this slider does absolutely nothing for coverages and pretty much only affects speed out of the backfield relative to the defender and RB/QB getting separation from the line of scrimmage without being ran down by 320 pound defensive lineman.
    I agree. PMST appears to only effect the player with the football, which is a shame. This slider had potential to be a major game changer, but in reality, it's wasted space.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    There is a thread about this on OS with actual numbers.......
    Care to link to/quote the numbers from that thread?

I'm interested but I hate their forum layout cause it takes 3 years to find something.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...tatistics.html

I ran 40 yard dash in practice mode with offense only with >90 speed and acceleration vs 80 speed and acceleration. I tested this from a standstill with a stopwatch. Real world values were gathered from the NFL combines published numbers for all LB and RB. I used LB and RB because this coverage in the flats is the main issue. I tested for Default settings and normal speed, slow speed with default threshold and 0 and 100 threshold.

See the table below:

Real
    world
    Default Slow 100
    thresh
    thresh
    HB 4.53 4.53 4.88 4.48 4.34
    LB 4.69 4.72 5.11 4.68 4.9

The results show that the default sliders are accurate for RB 40 times but not for LB though actually not very far off. Slow speed setting markedly leads to unrealistic values for both thoug it maintains the 0.2 sec difference. I do not recommend slow if you want real world values, but it maintains the balance and should not effect gameplay. The 100 threshold slider did not actually narrow the gap anymore but did improve the LB speed (I noticed acceleration was having the biggest impact; I also suspec the HB values may not be accurate, median was still 4.55). 0 threshold had a massive impact on decreasing HB time and increasing LB time widening the gap to 0.6 sec difference. Increasing the threshold value towards 100 should result in more realistic 40 times and hence linebacker coverage in the flats. Tonight I will perform testing at 60/70/80/90 to find best value with 20 measurements each.

Summary: Speed should be normal for realistic running times, Threshold slider at 50 is actually
    Here are the finished results. I finally decided to perform the test from the 35 yard line since there is no block and jump like in real 40 time and this gave close to reealistic HB and LB times. I used a LB with 80 stats for accel and speed and HB with 90 accel and 90 speed. 40 time mostly reflects acceleration so unsure of this impact on deep routes but I feel they need to adjust acceleration for this game as this stat is a bit overpowered currently.

Real NFL statistics:
    average time LB: 4.7 sec
    average time HB: 4.5 sec
    average time WR: 4.5-4.6 sec
    average difference LB and HB: 0.2 sec

NCAA football stastics:
    Slider HB LB Diff
    \50 4.341 4.760 -0.419
    60 4.332 4.639 -0.307
    70 4.326 4.614 -0.288
    80 4.345 4.577 -0.232
    90 4.377 4.584 -0.207
    100 4.356 4.524 -0.168

You can easily see that this followed a very nice progression of about 0.4-0.5 decrease int he gap per 10 change in the slider. My 40 times are not realiable since they are estimates of times so the most important factor is the difference between the HB and LB. You can see that the NFL combine statistics would require a slider setting of 90 to be accurate. However, it is well know that college defenses are slower than NFL which is a main difference therefore the likely gap for NCAA should be around 0.250. I am going to set my sliders at 75 which will likley give a gap of around 0.250 and if my values for HB and LB were off by 0.15 (diff between real HB and my stats) the linebacker speed would be around 4.7 (4.60 + 0.15).

Summary: Slider settings between 70 and 80 should give real world 40 times to players and allow LB to cover both WR, TE, and HB. Hopefully this will improve coverage on crossing routes and flats.

Next: Will subjectively examine the impact of 0, 50, 75, 100 on flats and crossing routes against man and zone coverage.
    After subjective testing I have found the following to be true:

1. Coverage of crossing and drag routes is poor as these are almost 100% effective against man coverage.

2. Zone coverage is relatively uneffected by this though I noted less gains with LB closing more quickly.

3. This is insanely hard. LB can remain in fairly close coverage of even wide recievers downfield so big gains are remarkably reduced. Downfield passing seems extremely difficult. This can be fixed by reducing the pass coverage slider and a setting of 40 seemed to open up passing a bit more. Unfortunately this is for human. The CPU seemed to not have much difficulty finding open recievers still (on short routes). I have ultimately decided to go with a slider setting of 70.
    This is on AA. The developers have stated for several years that the game is not intended to be sim on Heisman as the CPU has unrealistic completeoin % and decision making etc... on this level. They have previously stated that AA is the level they shoot for making realistic.

No offense, but after reading through all the info I will leave the threshold at 45 (at set it at this on day one) and continue to play on slow. I'm happy with the way I have the game playing and I am getting lost in the details. I kind of wish the threshold wasn't in the game as EA has zero meaningful feedback on it.

Any consensus on this? I haven't messed with this slider at all and just curious if people think this is one area that should be left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Any consensus on this? I haven't messed with this slider at all and just curious if people think this is one area that should be left alone.
    Still have mine at 45 and at this point I don't see any reason to change it. I like how the speed is and have no complaints. My .02c

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Still have mine at 45 and at this point I don't see any reason to change it. I like how the speed is and have no complaints. My .02c
    I found some sliders with 15 as the setting is it's pretty damn good in my opinion. Speed actually means something again and it greatly helps with being able to run the ball outside again (without it being cheap).

I may experiment by lowering this a bit but I play on Slow. I think that has an effect too right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I may experiment by lowering this a bit but I play on Slow. I think that has an effect too right?
    Oh yeah, most definitely. I play on Normal so there's definitely a difference.

Oneback's sliders run with it at 15, I believe. I've had both fast players and "okay" speed players on my team. The ones that should be caught get caught, the ones that shouldn't are able to escape once they get into the open field. 15, at least on Normal, seems very good. I would think 15 on Slow would be about the same, as well.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Speed Threshold

Oneback's sliders run with it at 15, I believe. I've had both fast players and "okay" speed players on my team. The ones that should be caught get caught, the ones that shouldn't are able to escape once they get into the open field. 15, at least on Normal, seems very good. I would think 15 on Slow would be about the same, as well.
    Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. I play with my speed threshold on 15 and find it to work great. I have even played with it at 10 and like that as well. I think this helps separate the good/great teams from the average teams. I got sick of playing at 45 and seeing my bad teams (Ohio, Western Mich, SMU) keep up with or even outrun the good teams (Texas Tech, Ohio State, Michigan State). With a lowered speed threshold the separation between faster players and average speed players is noticable and an actual advantage for better teams.

My biggest complaint was the fact that my corners with 85 spd and 82 acceleration were keeping up with and defending passes on their 90+ spd 90+ acc receivers. This should not happen. Lowering the speed threshold to 10/15 opens this up and makes a big difference, especially on streak routes and in the open field.

TKO, what difficulty do you play on? I've read more on this lately and the default threshold changes by difficulty. On Varsity there is a much bigger gap than Heisman. Default 50 on AA is more like 25 on Heisman or maybe 75 on Varsity (rough numbers). I'm going to try threshold @25 on Heisman, maybe even 0, and see how it plays.