Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: The Gaming Tailgate's NCAA Football 13 Retail Release Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I'm gonna have to see how default Heisman goes before I start making changes. I JYST learned how to call slide protect and change a single defensive player's assignment so I gotta take baby steps.
    This is my first ever full go around with Heisman. It plays well and isn't as cheap as it was in the past.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

I think you guys will like it. Not sure how you played at anything lower than Heisman in the past, but no matter, just have fun.

I JUST learned how to call slide protect and change a single defensive player's assignment so I gotta take baby steps.

You've been playing the series a little while, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post

You've been playing the series a little while, right?
    Since last generation. LOL! I honestly never looked at all the pre-play controls before. I R3'd that stuff immediately to get the clutter off the screen.

Anyway, just played a more even game on Heisman. I was B- Temple vs. C+ Hawaii. I have the settings set so that when I go to play now, it gives me 2 random teams and not my fav vs. rival. I won 42-25 but that included 2 KO TDs by Temple's beastly little RB (dude had 409 all-purpose yds in the game). Take away the kickoffs and I won 28-25 which is a close score for 2 pretty even teams. I'll take that.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Since last generation. LOL! I honestly never looked at all the pre-play controls before. I R3'd that stuff immediately to get the clutter off the screen.
    Honestly, I rarely use the OL slide stuff. Just lazy and impatient most likely. I probably should though because CPU blitzes are very effective this year with the sliders I'm using.

Since zones are fairly useless, I've been playing a lot of man defenses and then manually hot-routing defenders to get different blitz and/or QB spy looks as of recently.

Alright, so I played 2 more games on Heisman and I'll roll with. These sliders though, do they do anything for CPU almost insta-pressure and user non-existent pressure? Not only does the CPU have all day to pass but when they want to run, they're getting 6 or 7 yds. a pop (every is stuck ballroom dancing or laying down, admiring the view of the sky) while I'm lucky if I get 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I agree about young gamers, Rudy. I do have that hesitation as well. I'd be very curious what numbers EA has on use of difficulty level. When I was playing at that age, I don't recall there even being difficulty levels (or sliders, for that matter).
    We had difficulty levels at some point but sliders were a revelation when they came out. Can't remember when that was though.

CPU will definitely get pressure with the sliders I'm using. Have to make a decision quickly. Long plays can happen for sure if you catch them in the right call. If you see the blitz coming, you need to get rid of the ball. Helps to keep blockers in also. Don't expect to have all day on 3rd and longs for example, as they'll send pressure and long routes take time to form.
    As for defense, if you play a lot of zones, you'll get chewed up. That is one complaint I have so I'm hoping the August patch will make the zone defenders not as retarded. You'll need to blitz. Your pressure without blitzing can and has occurred for me, but it depends on the team you use. Also keep in mind that the CPU QB, if he's a runner, will start to abuse with scrambles......setting up QB spy will fix that.

As for stopping the run, it won't happen while playing zones. I've had to play man defenses and pinch down the DL if they are hurting me a lot up the middle......sometimes sending pressure. If you do want to play a zone, for example a 3rd and long, highly consider hot-routing a DL to QB spy......that will limit the QB scramble as well as help against the draw plays which the CPU will VERY happily start using and highly effectively.

As for running the ball, you'll have to work at it. Just the way it is. My starting RB went for ~175 I think in my last game, averaging over 5ypc. Have to really vary the runs, up the middle and set up the outside stuff. From different formations. If you keep running your favorite running plays, the CPU will snuff them out. I have had NO success running load options. A tiny bit of success with speed options. QB powers have been great, but again, I had a 70+ TD yesterday with that play which was beautiful, but the next time I ran it, the CPU jumped it for a just a small gain. Read options have worked pretty solid. Been running out of I, Ace, and shotgun. I use the stick to switch the side of the run pre-snap if there is a numbers advantage I can take advantage of. Once in a while, I motion extra blockers, but that doesn't work as well in the past IMO since the CPU plays a lot of man.

Austin, what's your consensus on the I-Form FB? Worth it or useless? Risk or reward? And did you see anything to my quick impression that the H formations were more effective?
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Jeff, honestly haven't played with the I-Form H formations. I've got regular I, I twins, and I tight in my playbook. I haven't seen, or been as pissed about at least, the FB be as retarded as I complained about previously but I think a big part of that might be the lower run defense slider for the CPU on the slider set I'm using. The LBs don't read and fill as quickly.