Thread: Who else remembers?

• Facebook
  • Display

Who else remembers?

Who else remembers Madden 91, Wow that was a while back, I'm not here to start a war on which game is better. Every one has there preference, but in madden 91 may have been 92, they would show box scores of other games.Then take you to live footage of close games that where ending, so you could see what happen.
    They only did this for one madden and took it out the following game, but I'd love to see it come back in a new football game at some point in time. After playing every football game ea has made, that's one thing I which they would have kept in over the years.
    Whats somethings you guys liked that are no longer in the games?

I had it on my Genesis. I even figured out an onside kick trick that worked 100% of the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tBKN...e_gdata_player

Wow that was a blast from the past, thanks. I seen a video next to this and it was madden 93 with the box scores and highlights of games.

Back in NCAA 2000 (and probably all the NCAA games of that era), changing your formation in the huddle would result in substitutions running on/off the field. So there was a risk/reward to changing your formation if you running low on the play clock. It was also a cool effect, seeing it in the background while you were picking your play.

Contrary to what some people thought when I mentioned this a few weeks ago, it was not a cutscene (and that would be totally unnecessary). Just the players that were being replaced would leave the formation, go off the screen, and then the subs would come back on the screen. Just a simple texture/model replacement.

I like it for two reasons: 1) There is now no penalty for changing from, for example, 22 personnel (2 running backs, 2 tight ends) to 00 personnel (5 WR) in the huddle, and you're able to instantly run a play. On a long pass play, it can actually be advantageous to huddle (potentially change formations) and call a play, versus running no-huddle over a 50 yard distance. That's obviously incorrect.

Similarly, you can change from 5 WR to a Field Goal unit in practically no time, and not even need an epic substitution package to do it.

2) For people that are indecisive about a play call, late in the play clock, there is a risk/reward to changing your formation. Maybe the play you want isn't in the formation you're looking at, but do you have enough time to get the right people on the field?

And it's just plain cool
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 07-04-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Freshman
    As long as it gave ample time for the defense to get their personal in.
    E.G.
    1) The offense changes personal packages.
    2) The defense is given the standard 7(8?) seconds to pick a play. (The clock is not running during this time, it is time that does not exist in RL)
    3) The ref stands over the ball for 7-10 seconds to let the defense substitute (if the offense substituted only), per NCAA rules anytime the offense substitutes the umpire is supposed to stand over the ball to give sufficient time for the defense to change personal. The clock is ticking during this period, if you substitute late in the play clock you could get a delay of game from the umpire standing over the ball.

On a seperate note: It drives me nuts that you can't sub personal during the no huddle, especially on defense. During the no-huddle offenses change personal, they usually have a group of receivers and backs standing around coach waiting to run in. The Defense is substituting too, they run off tired players and change packages, anytime the offense substitutes they are allowed more time. But you should still be allowed to race players on and off without the offense substituting.

Unlike real life, the game didn't break the huddle until both teams had picked their play and personnel had changed. So, just like it still is, but with substitutions. Slightly unrealistic, but better than instant change IMHO.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Madden 95 on the Genesis, that was the first football game me and brother ever played. We figured out, while waiting for one another to select a team, that pushing the buttons in six-digit combos would give you an old squad, or secret squad. We spent a whole night punching in every six-digit code with the A, B, and C buttons, and writing down the team you would get for whichever combo you entered. We would then have contests to see who could score the most with S. Orr from I think the EA Sports team. HB Sweep was the money play. Little brother holds the record with 195 points.

Not really something I wish they'd bring back, just an awesome memory from around the time me and my brother discovered football.