Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Madden getting Connected Careers & Infinity Engine (physics)

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I'm sorry, I may be the only one here who says this, but I like having injuries possible. It makes it realistic.
    I agree, but I can't see myself playing as a single player anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

It makes it realistic, yes, but it also makes the mode essentially unplayable. The fun of injuries in Dynasty games is "Oh crap, now I have to win with my backup". In RTG-like games, it goes to "Oh, now I have to just watch my team lose", because you lose all control. Continuing interest after an injury, in a My Career mode, requires a lot of investment in that team, and interest in how they do outside of your play. That's tough to get in the "My Career" modes. It works better in some than it does others.

Now, I wouldn't mind if I still get knocked out for a few plays or until the end of a game ... but missing weeks upon weeks would be a different story.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I'm sorry, I may be the only one here who says this, but I like having injuries possible. It makes it realistic.
    if you are controlling a whole team, injury realism is fine.

but if you are playing as one man, theres no way in hell i'm sitting there while a game is going on LOL

are career ending injuries still in this game?

somewhere between 2005-2008, i know I saw it once.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    It makes it realistic, yes, but it also makes the mode essentially unplayable. The fun of injuries in Dynasty games is "Oh crap, now I have to win with my backup". In RTG-like games, it goes to "Oh, now I have to just watch my team lose", because you lose all control. Continuing interest after an injury, in a My Career mode, requires a lot of investment in that team, and interest in how they do outside of your play. That's tough to get in the "My Career" modes. It works better in some than it does others.

Now, I wouldn't mind if I still get knocked out for a few plays or until the end of a game ... but missing weeks upon weeks would be a different story.
    To me, it'd be no different than sitting on the bench for portions of the game in NBA 2K's My Player or NHL's Be a Pro. Just make it so it supersims the plays that you aren't in (or you can watch if you want), and if you're out for multiple games, you can just simply sim the game from the menus. It doesn't have to be automatic in the game, just at least give us the option for injuries to potentially occur.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I agree, but I can't see myself playing as a single player anyway.

Yeah I agree with this. Plus, if I create myself and then switch to a coach, my player retires, regardless of how good he is. The whole "my player" wrapped into CCM does absolutely nothing for me. I just pray this mode does NOT come to NCAA. You lose too much in the process.

To me, it'd be no different than sitting on the bench for portions of the game in NBA 2K's My Player or NHL's Be a Pro.
    Like I said though, portions are fine. Whole games would more annoying.

Like I said though, portions are fine. Whole games would more annoying.
    Well, that would be where you would have the option to just sim the game from the menus if you wanted. It wouldn't have to be mandatory for everyone playing, just give those of us want it, the option in the game to turn it on or off and have it fully realistic like that.

Well, that would be where you would have the option to just sim the game from the menus if you wanted. It wouldn't have to be mandatory for everyone playing, just give those of us want it, the option in the game to turn it on or off and have it fully realistic like that.

I have read a lot of comments from the gamechangers and community day guys at OS and EA SPORTS and it seems clear to me now that there is a huge disconnect from what I want and what many of them want. I am 100% offline football gamer person. Hey, I have enjoyed FIFA 12 as the games are quick but with NCAA or Madden I can't commit for an hour of play (wife, young children career, etc.). For me I squeeze games in late at night or any time when I get a free hour or so, which isn't often. I LOVE the immersion I can create in my own fictional little Madden world. I want to design a custom playbook; I want to change positions of players; I want to do some minor editing of players ratings if I see a problem or two; I want to edit numbers and helmets, etc of my drafted players; I want to draft players from my NCAA teams. This is the type of stuff I want to do with Madden because this is how I enjoy the game. All I have heard from a number of game changers and a few community guys (not at this site...) is about how it is ONLINE GAMERS turn to enjoy Madden, etc. etc. etc. The discussion has focused on what online gamers have been given and not a lot of attention has been given to what OFFLINE gamers have lost. And make no mistake, what offline gamers have lost is HUGE!!!

Apparently this mode has been developed over TWO years. How it is possible the EDITING ROSTERS, CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS, PLAYING ANY GAME ON THE SCHEDULE and NCAA DRAFT IMPORTS are not included is simply beyond me. Customization is what the Madden crowd has pushed for all generation. Last year we finally get it and then boom and the next year it is ALL gone with promises about how some of it may be back in the future at some unspecified date. I just can't believe the game changers and community day people were not more outraged. But as mentioned earlier in this rant, it just seems that the way I like to play my game is NOT the way gamechangers and community day guys see how Madden should be played now or in the future.

I love playing franchise games against the cpu when I get the chance. Yes, sometimes the AI sucks but for me it's still fun regardless. When my boys are old enough I want to be able to play multi-person offline franchise with them. However, this doesn't seem to be the future trend for EA games. I just hope in the process of making everything online, "the baby doesn't get thrown out with the bath-water" (aka offline enjoyment).

I would be facinated to hear a take from any of the gamechangers/community day guys who have seen Madden 13 in action and have them share their feelings on the topic.
    Last edited by jaymo76; 06-19-2012 at 12:13 AM.

I agree Jaymo that EA seems to be catering a lot to the online crowd. I think it's a big reason why offline cpu AI has not seen a big step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I have read a lot of comments from the gamechangers and community day guys at OS and EA SPORTS and it seems clear to me now that there is a huge disconnect from what I want and what many of them want. ... I just can't believe the game changers and community day people were not more outraged. But as mentioned earlier in this rant, it just seems that the way I like to play my game is NOT the way gamechangers and community day guys see how Madden should be played now or in the future. ... I would be facinated to hear a take from any of the gamechangers/community day guys who have seen Madden 13 in action and have them share their feelings on the topic.
    I have not played Madden NFL 13 or seen it in person or been part of any of the Community Events for it. My "gaming style" is very similar to yours, Jaymo, so I completely understand your frustration and the points you're making here.

Let me point you in the direction of comments on this overall issue from Shopmaster, who has attended events for Madden NFL this year: http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/18/fa...ans-in-a-funk/

And a quick-hit quote from Shop on his take, which is what you were asking for in your post:

I have personally received a lot of nasty comments and backlash as if I made that decision to take those things out. Just to go on the record again. When I heard they were removing Fantasy Draft and NCAA Imports early in the year I was upset. I also told EA the Community would be upset also. They made the decision anyways stating they didn’t have enough time to get them in and done right.

As for my personal reaction to "Connected Careers," I feel as though a gamble is being made here. Obviously, the news of what's NOT in the mode has grabbed the headlines so far because news of what IS in the mode has been a bit hard to glean at this time, even with blogs and videos to help shine more light on the feature.

At the same time, I'm legitimately excited for what a new take on the mode has to offer. I was excited for Madden NFL 12 last year, thinking that it was going to be a breakthrough year with increased attention paid to presentation and Franchise/Online Franchise. What I found, however, was that the game still didn't offer me enough compelling reasons to keep the game in the console and play it throughout the year. I'm hoping that "Connected Careers" this year--combined with the first shot at the Infinity Engine--offers me enough motivation to play Madden NFL 13 long after release.

That doesn't justify the exclusion of certain long-time features, but at the same time--if you told me that we could have player editing and NCAA draft import but Franchise/Online Franchise would be the same as it was in Madden NFL 12, or we could have Connected Careers--I would choose the latter, just to "put my chips on" a chance for evolution in the game. It sucks that "sacrifices" had to be made to bring something new, but Connected Careers will be the first thing I load up when I get the game this year to see if the bet paid off.

With the exception of playing any game on the schedule, those lost features affect online gamers, too. I don't think they're "picking on" offline gamers.

That said, I understand the NCAA Import loss. The way they are doing the draft, and the player stories, it had to be done. Besides, for me, importing was terrible. It removed any mystery to the draft and the ratings were too transparent.

A good resource for information on Connected Careers also comes by way of Shopmaster, who has an in-depth FAQ on his site that is persistently being updated with new questions and the responses to them. I highly recommend checking it out and then adding any questions you may have:

http://mymaddenpad.com/madden-nfl-13...-careers-faqs/

Hardcore can mean different things to different people though. It speaks to passion/loyalty to the game, not any one feature.
    Just now seeing this. Very true but still if you have been a fan of the game and very passionate you would atleast I would think care about the Gameplay improvements of the game. You know like having man-lock feature back in the game as it was some odd years ago, or not seeing the same things happen in the game since 2004, etc. Or Man align working properly or Defensive assignments. I could name a number things more important than editing rosters, fantasy draft, etc that are related to Gameplay.

Hardcore gamers of NCAA talk about these things all the time in regards to NCAA. Now in a game like that I could understand the uproar of not being able to edit rosters...that to me in that particular game is Gameplay feature given that the names generic.
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 06-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    At the same time, I'm legitimately excited for what a new take on the mode has to offer. I was excited for Madden NFL 12 last year, thinking that it was going to be a breakthrough year with increased attention paid to presentation and Franchise/Online Franchise. What I found, however, was that the game still didn't offer me enough compelling reasons to keep the game in the console and play it throughout the year. I'm hoping that "Connected Careers" this year--combined with the first shot at the Infinity Engine--offers me enough motivation to play Madden NFL 13 long after release.
    I'm hoping for the same thing. I got to my third year of my Dolphins franchise and just got bored. With NCAA you are excited as you go further as the team becomes a product of your own recruiting. I thought the presentation was really good in M12 but the scouting and free agency failed imo. The long term fun of franchise just wasn't there - not even close to NCAA. I do think the story lines and new scouting and FA in Madden 13 will be a really nice improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    As for my personal reaction to "Connected Careers," I feel as though a gamble is being made here. Obviously, the news of what's NOT in the mode has grabbed the headlines so far because news of what IS in the mode has been a bit hard to glean at this time, even with blogs and videos to help shine more light on the feature.

That doesn't justify the exclusion of certain long-time features, but at the same time--if you told me that we could have player editing and NCAA draft import but Franchise/Online Franchise would be the same as it was in Madden NFL 12, or we could have Connected Careers--I would choose the latter, just to "put my chips on" a chance for evolution in the game. It sucks that "sacrifices" had to be made to bring something new, but Connected Careers will be the first thing I load up when I get the game this year to see if the bet paid off.
    Oh I agree that the mode has a ton of potential. I was hugely excited until I heard what was NOT in the game. Can you imagine how awesome this mode could be if we have editing, custom playbooks, play any game on the schedule, and import NCAA rosters included? I may never leave the couch. If I had editing I could live with all the other stuff missing for a year or so but I just don't think I can get over the editing fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I have read a lot of comments from the gamechangers and community day guys at OS and EA SPORTS and it seems clear to me now that there is a huge disconnect from what I want and what many of them want.
    I don't think there's a huge disconnect, jaymo. But there are things that are "dealbreakers" for you that won't be true for some others. I'm very much an online gamer (for me, Online Dynasty has pretty much ruined the fun I formerly had with many offline dynasties), but all of the things you mentioned are also huge negatives to me. For me, it's a tradeoff. Okay, we lost all these features. What did we gain? And is it enough? Head Coach 09 is one of my favorite sports games of this generation, so having a bunch of features from that game in Madden is quite appealing for me. (And, FWIW, Head Coach 09 is totally offline ) Is it enough? I'm on the fence.

As for your question about how something could be developed for two years and still lack certain features ... I can't speak for Madden because I know nothing about how it was developed. But from a perspective of general software product development, sometimes it's a design decision, sometimes a feature is in until something else causes a problem with it, and sometimes it's a last minute thing (that you thought would be easy) that you just can't quite get right. But, every time, no matter what, it comes down to priority. If the items you mentioned were the priority in a "successful" Connected Careers mode, they'd be in. Simple as that.

I do think that Steeler's point about the Draft and the Storylines removing the NCAA Import feature. That's clearly a design decision. And while I feel for you that the import was important, I do think the storylines about the draft picks does allow for some very interesting gameplay going forward. I'm curious to see how they do it.

Yeah Jeff, I think the storylines have a lot of intrigue as well. Working the twitter feed into the game sounds really good. I see CCM very much like FIFA 12's franchise mode and that game has a ton of upside. Really for me the big issue is editing. One thing I have always found annoying with madden are some of the silly names used for draft picks. Just imagine Jovarious Tinkle as your starting franchise QB... If somehow editing could be patched in I would be a very happy boy. Anyways, I have ranted enough about editing... complaint desk closed

P.S. Thanks for the design insights Jeff. Much appreciated (I know nothing about game designing)