Thread: Ghost Recon Future Soldier

• Facebook
  • Display

Ghost Recon Future Soldier

No thread for it?

Picked it up yesterday and logged a short time with it last night. Only played a bit of SP and one game in MP. Haven't enjoyed adversarial shooter MP very much over the past couple years of various games (because I suck and don't spend hours upon hours to get good, plus I don't like the run 'n' gun stuff as much anyway), but I did enjoy the GR MP beta and the one game I played last night........

Saw whatcha and OU playing last night.

Didn't get far enough into SP to see if the game opened up, as what you did early on was fairly forced in order to teach the mechanics and buttons of the gameplay.

The single player and Guerilla mode are top notch. The competitive online, though, is pretty messed up at the moment. I played some Tuesday morning and had fun, but there's already people that have figured out how to get under the map which makes them invincible. Out of the 20 or so games I've played, I've seen someone doing it in at least 5 of them.

Then last night it was so laggy in the 3 matches I joined it was unplayable.

I played after 11pmCST last night, and it ran smooth online. That sucks about "under the map" as I saw that in the beta and would have thought it would be addressed.

I played Guerilla for about 5 minutes before going to bed, and I can see how I'll likely spend a lot more time in there than competitive.

I originally had this preordered but had something more urgent come up that I needed the extra money I had set aside, so I cancelled my preorder on Saturday morning. Still plan to buy this, maybe early June I'll pick it up as I am still very much interested in this game.

No thanks.

Well, was out at Walmart this morning picking something up, and while I was there, decided to finally get around to picked up Future Soldier. I had rented it for a day from Redbox a couple weeks ago, played a number of missions into the single player campaign and had a blast with it, so definitely a good buy. Gonna install it and fire it up here in an hour or so and kill some fuckers in campaign the rest of the even. It's 105 outside right now, so I'm sure as fuck not going to be doing anything besides sitting inside in the AC the entire rest of the afternoon and evening.

Psssh, all the Midwest people whining about the heat. No problem. I live in TX, but spent my first 23 years in the Midwest.

I really enjoyed Ghost Recon FS although it felt a little unfair farther into the SP campaign with all the toys you have that the bad guys don't. I haven't played MP online for over a week now just due to life and trying to burn through Sniper: Ghost Warrior before NCAA comes out, but the MP is most fun I've had with an online shooter in a long time.

I'm halfway through on my Elite playthrough, but I still need all the co-op achievements. I hate games that require you to play through the co-op campaign to get all the achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Psssh, all the Midwest people whining about the heat. No problem. I live in TX, but spent my first 23 years in the Midwest.

I really enjoyed Ghost Recon FS although it felt a little unfair farther into the SP campaign with all the toys you have that the bad guys don't. I haven't played MP online for over a week now just due to life and trying to burn through Sniper: Ghost Warrior before NCAA comes out, but the MP is most fun I've had with an online shooter in a long time.
    Yeah, but you're used to it. I've lived in NW Ohio all my life. Since 1987 when I was born, there have only been 4 days that temperatures hit 100 degrees or higher. A day in 1988, a day in 1995, July 21st, 2011, and today. I'm not used to this 105 degrees and 110 heat index crap. That, and even just upper 80s and 90s, I'm just plain not a fan of heat whatsoever. Give me winter and colder than a witch's left tit any day.

As for the campaign, yeah, I was noticing that Austin. I wasn't too much beyond the mission at the refugee camp and the air strip, and it was already pretty easy in some sections with the advanced technology. Still a lot of fun though and I can guarantee there are and will be missions that will be fun just to fire up and screw around in from time to time after I fully beat the campaign on all difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I'm halfway through on my Elite playthrough, but I still need all the co-op achievements. I hate games that require you to play through the co-op campaign to get all the achievements.
    You need friends

Just like I hate games that mandate all the MP achievements, especially when their MP sucks (not the case with this game, but still has MP achievements that I'm not sure I'll ever get to...)
    I started on Elite from the start. The game isn't that hard if you are a tactical player.
    COD'rs would struggle with patience and thinking though, LOL!

Yeah, but you're used to it. I've lived in NW Ohio all my life. Since 1987 when I was born, there have only been 4 days that temperatures hit 100 degrees or higher. A day in 1988, a day in 1995, July 21st, 2011, and today. I'm not used to this 105 degrees and 110 heat index crap. That, and even just upper 80s and 90s, I'm just plain not a fan of heat whatsoever. Give me winter and colder than a witch's left tit any day.
    I like both climates. Love the cold winters when I lived there and love it when it gets down in the 20s and 30s here. Love the hot summers here as well. What I don't like is stupid humidity which where I lived in the Midwest had.
    I wasn't used to the heat when I moved here. Spend some time outside and you get used to it just fine. I've lived more years in the Midwest during my lifetime than in TX.....so far.

I need to get this game. Love the Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter games back when I had a 360. Which reminds me I still want to get Rainbow 6 Vegas 2

How deep is the campaign in this game? I'm just starting mission 9, Valiant Hammer. Enjoy the hell out of the game still. Some of the mission suck. Firefly Rain comes to mind. If you don't set and time your sync shots exactly right, you're fucked with the no alert active on the mission. When you first break out onto the tarmac in Firefly Rain, fuck, that took me a couple tries because one of the dead bodies would keep getting found before I could get a second sync shot lined up to kill off the remaining 4 people.

I think there are 12 missions.

It definitely behooves you to check out the patrolling bad guys' routes via whatever recon tool you have available (the drone!) and take your time to see where they go and if they keep patrolling or settle into a spot. Also keep in mind to take out guys by themselves that are farther away and then work closer to you, i.e. take out guys in the back farthest away or up high that have a view over a wide area and then take out guys that are close by in the wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    How deep is the campaign in this game? I'm just starting mission 9, Valiant Hammer. Enjoy the hell out of the game still. Some of the mission suck. Firefly Rain comes to mind. If you don't set and time your sync shots exactly right, you're fucked with the no alert active on the mission. When you first break out onto the tarmac in Firefly Rain, fuck, that took me a couple tries because one of the dead bodies would keep getting found before I could get a second sync shot lined up to kill off the remaining 4 people.
    Yeah, this game(even though I love the campaign) has the 2 things that piss me off the most: stealth sequences that make you start over if you're caught and massive hordes of enemies at once. If you're caught on a stealth sequence, just alert the guards and make me kill them. On the flip side, I don't like going from stealth situations to having to kill 50 people.

More than anything, having to start over after alerting guards just enrages me on games.

Damn, I have no idea where I am in this game now. I think I was in the middle of mission 10 yesterday afternoon, if not towards the end of mission 9, when the freaking hurricane-wannabe super derecho plowed through here, killing the power without warning only 5 minutes into the storm. I was paused in the middle of the mission and had been paused for around 20 minutes before that as I got surprised by a National Weather Service text saying the county directly south of us had a tornado warning. So I never saved where I was.

I don't know if this game automatically saves at each checkpoint, or just saves at the end of missions and you have to manually save it for it to go to the most recent checkpoint when you resume, I'm not sure. If anyone knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    I think there are 12 missions.

It definitely behooves you to check out the patrolling bad guys' routes via whatever recon tool you have available (the drone!) and take your time to see where they go and if they keep patrolling or settle into a spot. Also keep in mind to take out guys by themselves that are farther away and then work closer to you, i.e. take out guys in the back farthest away or up high that have a view over a wide area and then take out guys that are close by in the wide open.
    Yeah, I finally was able to get past that point after a while. Killed the sniper up on the roof, then took out the two guys on the right side after the other two roaming guys moved off to their farthest distances away. Then I quickly lined up a 4 kill sync shot to take out all of the remaining guys. All in all, it took me probably over 30 minutes get from where you climb the ladder and out onto the tarmac, make your way through all the patrols and get into the hanger to set the bomb on the plane, just because I was going super slow in killing people. I was syncing up shots and letting 30K, Ghost Lead and Pepper do all the killing while I targeted guys to kill and set up the sync shots with the drone.

I think it was mission 10 I was on, the one where you have to go through taking out the artillery and fighting Russian forces, I used the drone probably 99% of the time I was in that mission. I would crouch and go active camo, fly the drone out, mark targets and set up sync shots for my teammates, and let them do all the killing, turn off the camera on the drone (but leave it flying), move forward myself and catch up with the rest of the team, reactivate my camo, and retake control of the drone and advance forward with the drone. Made short work of many of the Russian forces in the countryside and around the two artillery guns. I also like to leave the drone flying (but not controlled) when in the middle of gun fights since it highlights the bodies of people behind walls and vehicles. Makes for very easy kills with my sniper rifle when shooting people through walls that way.

Yeah, this game(even though I love the campaign) has the 2 things that piss me off the most: stealth sequences that make you start over if you're caught and massive hordes of enemies at once. If you're caught on a stealth sequence, just alert the guards and make me kill them. On the flip side, I don't like going from stealth situations to having to kill 50 people.

More than anything, having to start over after alerting guards just enrages me on games.
    Yeah, some of those stealth sequences (Firefly Rain in that first section on the tarmac for instance) piss me off because if you don't time EVERYTHING exactly at the exact perfect moment, you're screwed and you have to start all over. I probably had to restart that first section on the tarmac in Firefly Rain 10 times before I finally was able to get the kills in the right order and timed perfectly to avoid any dead bodies being seen by the others still alive.

And then, I think it was at the end of Firefly Rain where you had a bunch of people coming out of nowhere shooting at you and you have to call for aid (the "The Bird is in the air, your International Incident is on the way." line legitimately cracked me up and made me laugh out loud) and then the mission in the Norwegian Sea when you're trying to make your way to the helipad on the ship, those fuckers just never stop coming, and of course, you're getting shot from every fucking direction, no matter what you try to take cover behind. I was using sensors left and right at that part of the mission as hiding behind some of the larger objects for cover and using a combination of sensors and my sniper rifle to shoot through the metal and wood the guys up on the catwalks were using for cover was about the only way I managed to survive that fiasco.

Yeah, those times also piss me off. You and me are in complete agreement on both issues there Beatn. It is still overall a very fun campaign. Blows that shit campaign that was Modern Warfare 3 (and pretty much every other COD game since COD4) completely out of the water. I have yet to touch the multiplayer (since the beta at least), co-op or other modes (I only did just get the game on Thursday after all and was busy with work through this morning), but I have a feeling that this and NCAA 13 are both going to be fighting for my time and attention. I have had a ton of fun with this game (I was going to pre-order it until I had something more urgent come up that I needed the money for), so I think I'm gonna be playing this thing for a long time. I have not a single desire to get the new COD (even just for the campaign or non-straight up multiplayer game modes they include in it, only reason I bought MW3 was, for the most part, to complete the storyline of COD4 and MW2 and see where the hell they were ultimately going with the storyline), so this is going to pretty much be my shooter game for the year.

Alright, so I just finished up the campaign in this bad boy today. Really enjoyed the campaign (some areas also really pissed me off, but still enjoyed it), and had a lot of fun with it. I went through on Recruit my first time just learning the controls, learning the game (this is the first Ghost Recon game I've actually ever bought and played) and just experiencing and enjoying the storyline and missions. Next up will be going through on Veteran and then Elite.

Austin, Beatn, I think I'm already friends with both of you on 360. Beatn I know for sure, Austin, I think we added each other last fall for the 360 Coach Mode OD. If either of you guys want to team up and do some co-op, Guerrilla or multiplayer, just let me know, I'll be down for some action. I might wander into some MP tonight by myself, though I expect it to be ugly since I'm gonna be so damn far behind everyone else who has been playing since day one.