Thread: $99 XBOX 360 Console Pilot - Now Live at 16 Stores

• Facebook
  • Display

$99 XBOX 360 Console Pilot - Now Live at 16 Stores

Looks like this is officially in motion now.

http://www.xblafans.com/microsoft-in...ram-47764.html

Microsoft today launched a “pilot program” at its chain of 16 stores in the United States that will “test a new pricing model for the Xbox 360.” The console maker will exclusively carry the 4GB version of the Xbox 360 complete with a Kinect sensor for $99 up front at Microsoft stores. Buyers will be required to enter into a two-year Xbox Live Gold membership contract at a monthly cost of $15. Since this is a pilot program, the offer on the Microsoft store website notes that it may be terminated at any point in time.

It was rumored last week that the bundle’s XBLG membership would include “some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers,” but Microsoft has apparently informed Joystiq that it will not be so. The membership is apparently just standard one.

All told, the purchase will cost gamers $459 after the two-year contract is over and done with. Normally an Xbox 360 with Kinect and two 12-month subscription cards would carry an MSRP of about $100 less, which makes the pricing structure seem a bit baffling. Of course, it does offer those consumers who cannot put together three bills up front for an Xbox a chance to own one without leaning on their credit cards.

Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Like I had told someone earlier. Someone that doesn't have $300 upfront to drop on a console, is probably not going to have $100 to drop on one either.

Seems kind of dumb, but hey, if it works...

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Like I had told someone earlier. Someone that doesn't have $300 upfront to drop on a console, is probably not going to have $100 to drop on one either.
    No, but if you look at layaway and Rent-A-Center, people are really good at deluding themselves into thinking they do.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

What is the price of Live normally? Im not going to buy a 360 but it might be a good deal if you are actually saving $ and want to play online.

EDIT: Nevermind just read the final port of the quote saying M$ is going to make more $ than it would if you bought this seperately. Not a "deal" by the normal sense of the word but I suppose if you figured into account the "time value of money" its probably close to a wash.
    Last edited by CLW; 05-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.

I typically get in on sales so I pay $30-$35 a year for Live.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    The dude abides.

Yeah, it's not a very good deal. You're going to end up paying way more than shopping around and hopping on good deals.