Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Article: GTTV: NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Reveal

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I'd pay $150 for NCAA '04 with updated graphics and online/achievement support. I'm not joking, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd pay $150 for NCAA '04 with updated graphics and online/achievement support. I'm not joking, either.
    There are so many people that love NCAA 04 or 06 and remastering PS2 titles like Jak and Daxter, God of War, Sly Cooper, etc. are all making money. Tecmo re-released on the PSN as well. I think there would be a definite market for something like this but maybe I'm just dreaming. Heck, every year they should package an old classic game on the new disc as part of a collector's item. Maybe for NCAA 14 they could package NCAA 04 on the disk, some extra uniforms and charge their usual $30 markup. They would make money, especially if they released the collector's item a week early.

I'd buy a PS3 just for a remastered NCAA 04 from PS2. Now, if they ported NCAA 04, made it NCAA '14 with new graphics, online support, teambuilder & some of the nice animations that this gen has given us, I'm all for it.

I really need to play 04 again. I really wonder if it's the game or my expectations have become to 'sophisticated'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go back every year and replay Dynasty mode in 04-07 on PS2.

I really truly think that 04 was the best all around gameplay. 06 gives you one heck of a challenge from the CPU thanks to the dominating IMPACT players. 05 is way more defensive (perfect pursuit angles and quick reaction of defenders) and much slower paced game than the others, but the HFA and other upgrades to Dynasty mode is why I still have fun with it. 07 has the garbage commit and jump the snap and the overpowered momentum boost, but it is the most fun to pass in hands down I feel that as soon as I start throwing the ball all over the field. In fact I noticed that in the NCAA 13 gameplay video that the defenders were playing the WR Curl route just like in 07 PS2 where the CB backpedals 4 yards then turns and looks back toward WR while still running down the field anticipating a streak (very similar to 07 where the Curl route was close to money).

Tradition Sports uploaded the NCAA segment to Youtube

My concerns:

1. 0:18 - why is the DB running away from the ball?
    2. 0:32 - LB stops running just before ball gets there and probably could have picked it off.
    3. 0:47 - what in the world is the DB doing while the ball is in the air? It should have been an easy pick.
    4. 1:07 and 1:15 - clear examples of DB running routes / cutting ahead of the receiver

Other than that, I didn't see anything that would make me feel uneasy about '13. I like they finally implemented a trajectory system as it was my number one complaint from past years. I still don't know whether 1:07 and 1:15 was intentionally set up that way...kind of sounds to me like he was using those clips as examples of what he was talking about. Hopefully that's the case.

I am absolutely baffled by #1 and #3, though.

NCAA 06... updated for PS3... name your price and I would pay it.

My concerns:

1. 0:18 - why is the DB running away from the ball?
    2. 0:32 - LB stops running just before ball gets there and probably could have picked it off.
    3. 0:47 - what in the world is the DB doing while the ball is in the air? It should have been an easy pick.
    4. 1:07 and 1:15 - clear examples of DB running routes / cutting ahead of the receiver

Other than that, I didn't see anything that would make me feel uneasy about '13. I like they finally implemented a trajectory system as it was my number one complaint from past years. I still don't know whether 1:07 and 1:15 was intentionally set up that way...kind of sounds to me like he was using those clips as examples of what he was talking about. Hopefully that's the case.

I am absolutely baffled by #1 and #3, though.
    Bolded instance really had me shaking my head. I don't care what difficulty it's on, no way that should be happening.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
    Bolded instance really had me shaking my head. I don't care what difficulty it's on, no way that should be happening.
    Looked like user control to me.

Or I would user control really quick myself to try and get it, but yeah that looks like a blown user control.

0:18 - why is the DB running away from the ball?
    This also looks like a blown user control, as I have done this myself, or I really hope it is anyway.

1:07 and 1:15 - clear examples of DB running routes / cutting ahead of the receive
    While it does seem as though they are running the route ahead of the reciever, wasn't this suppose to show throwing the ball across your body? I.e rolling right then throwing left. I wouldn't have a problem with that pick for me being stupid.

nitpicking every video always has me.......

P.S 04 had a shit ton of problems as well! Wayyyyyy to easy to run the ball especially to the outside for instance.

Shouldn't there be an icon under the defender if it's user controlled? There's no icon in ether of those clips.

It's hardly being nitpicky, either. If I said I didn't like the motion in which the QB threw the ball, yes. If I said I wasn't happy because the Oklahoma State uniforms were wrong, yes. Psychic DBs is an enormous problem so when footage is shown that makes it seem as though it is still there, or footage shown that shows DBs basically conceeding to catches, it's not being nitpicky.

Never had a problem stopping the run to the outside on '04. The absolutely only big problem '04 had was how the defense defended against bunch/tight sets, and they've never been able to get that particular thing right.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I have watched that clip about 25 times this morning. Some of the passes dropping in over the LB 's look great. In addition, the QB drop back animations do appear to be more differentiated. However, I cannot get over the claim there are no psychic DB's and then watching two clips of the DB running the route of the receiver and turning on a dime to make a pick. I really, really, really hope this is OLD footage and that on Tuesday we will see something entirely different. I can't lie though... that DB footage really concerns me a little more each time I watch it.
    In some game areas, you can see big leaps from build to build not to mention in a few weeks or months time. A lot of footage used in shows like this can be weeks or months old and is meant to show the game, not analyze. Anytime you see the same footage looped/replayed (which was 90% of the GTTV footage), it's considered 'B-roll footage' that is just to play as a backdrop, not evaluation.

I would look closely at the footage that comes out this week, most notably Tuesday's webcast. It should be relatively recent and a better gauge for what we can expect come July.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUCowboyofMD View Post
    But what exactly is the Oklahoma State pro combat uniform? In the video, it shows they have a number on their shoulder, but in real life, they don't.
    I believe they stated in Official Podcast #2 that all of Okie State's uniforms are considered Pro Combat so they picked one uni combination and put it in the pre-order perks.

Ignore the shoulder numbers in the vid. It's a bug I've been told they are aware of and should be fixed by retail. Good eye - I didn't notice that in the clip.

Shouldn't there be an icon under the defender if it's user controlled? There's no icon in ether of those clips.

It's hardly being nitpicky, either. If I said I didn't like the motion in which the QB threw the ball, yes. If I said I wasn't happy because the Oklahoma State uniforms were wrong, yes. Psychic DBs is an enormous problem so when footage is shown that makes it seem as though it is still there, or footage shown that shows DBs basically conceeding to catches, it's not being nitpicky.

Never had a problem stopping the run to the outside on '04. The absolutely only big problem '04 had was how the defense defended against bunch/tight sets, and they've never been able to get that particular thing right.
    yeah, man switching from Bunch/Tight formations have always been a problem, & in Madden/NCAA this year, it's a go-to formation. Neither man or zone defends it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I agree but my whole point about the juke move in the past was I want to be able to make people miss. A more realistic juke would be preferred IF player momentum is done right. Players make defenders miss constantly in a football game by using a simple cut and watch the defender fly by as he can't stop in time to make the tackle. That doesn't happen in EA NCAA Football. They just mirror your every move.

I'm sorry but I just can't let this area go. After feeling screwed over by NCAA 12 I would get annoyed every time I watched football on the weekends and watch offensive guys set up defenders by using their weight against them. I just felt I couldn't do that in NCAA 12 and it really hurt the fun factor while playing. I'd rather have a cartoony move than nothing that works but I would really prefer a football game where the player movement is much closer to reality (and NCAA 13 will definitely not have this from what I've seen).

Anyway, I'll have to wait and see how these trajectories really help the passing game. I'd like to hear more about timing routes and if they can be pulled off a little easier. I've always felt it's been too hard to throw those deep comebacks on the outside since they are timing routes which the game doesn't let you pull off well. Combine that with psychic DBs and WRs that don't fight for the ball and those routes were just far too risky to throw in the game.
    See I felt like the secondary defender was the issue in juke moves. I felt like 1 guy was easy to use "momentum" against, BUT the second guy was always there. The other 2 problems with the juke is that defenders don't react the way they should when a subtle move is made on them and the runners momentum is not properly done. The "you broke my ankles" move is not generally seen in football. It happens once in a while, but generally the "momentum" of any defender carries them past the point of the tackle in a juke situation. The defenders need to continue on their path and make an arm-tackle attempt (maybe fall down or get stuck with their cleats in the ground after squaring up to the tackle too late and taking a misstep). As for the runners momentum, when you let go of the left stick and sprint button, your runner should not stop on a dime. Instead he should "throttle down" for 2-3 steps, forcing the defender to slow down and THEN you should be able to cut him the other way and the difference would be acceleration rating.

That's the way I would like to see it done anyway. I'd rather have a subtle juke that only works sometimes, as opposed to a cartoony move that works everytime because you broke some ankles due to impossibility of the move. For the record, I made the "neutered" juke move in 12 quite effectively in open space. It just rarely works on multiple defenders because secondary defenders also do not react the way they should.

Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Looked like user control to me.
    That's what I thought but the wr gets user controlled last second and icon pops up. Again the issue here in the CB running the route in front of the receiver!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the simulation that plays out here is that the cb plays the first couple steps when the ball is in the air the way that he should if he were playing proper technique. He should be running with the receiver when he goes to cut off the pass, but the pass is behind him because he's so far in front of the play.

CDJ, I wish you would tell EA that the DB needs to be tuned to SLOW-PLAY the receiver. If the DB's initial step(s) were slowed down, this would fix the problem. The issue is NOT that the db makes the wrong move or does the wrong thing, it's that he does it all too soon! I also think this is something that COULD BE DONE by release. It's not a matter of the team not fixing it, because technically everything the db is doing is correct, but rather it's a matter of timing. The db and wr are based on the same ratings so if the cb has better "acc/quick/spd/" the game is allowing him to be faster at everything in the route than the receiver. That's all.

EA could fix this with 2 simple (I think) moves that wouldn't affect any other area. 1: Tune the backpedal to be a slower motion in the first 3 steps AND set a high limit (probably at 85-89) on db/s agility rating because that affects the turning ability. In those ways the db will almost always slow-play the route and yet can make up the difference if he's elite or better than the wr through the quickness and acceleration ratings.

I doubt if it was user control, there would have been an icon on that player. I don't know why for some interception attempts, that we don't have a backwards turn animation. Like, turning 180 degrees and then going up for the pick. That animation we saw was flat out bad.