Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: GTTV: NCAA Football 13 Gameplay Reveal

• Facebook
  • Display
    Tuesday. Keep the questions coming though. If EA SPORTS doesn't answer them on Tuesday in blogs/media, either we will try and answer or we will try and get them answered straight from the team.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Tuesday. Keep the questions coming though. If EA SPORTS doesn't answer them on Tuesday in blogs/media, either we will try and answer or we will try and get them answered straight from the team.
    Thanks Chris. Main question for me will be what I said before - How does the "have to look at the ball" interaction for the DBs work for the DBs that aren't on that particular WR? Do you actually see a difference of the DBs reaction if they are in man or zone, like you should?

Another question will be - does the throwing on the run work for throwing the ball away?

I noticed they said the DBs have to see the ball to react but didn't mention it for WRs. Does it apply both ways? I.e. can I manually or will my CPU WR make a catch w/o possibly even knowing the ball is in the air? Also the whole "light up" thing needs further clarification as many indicated above. Will the WR be able to make a catch if he isn't lit up? If so, does throwing to a receiver that is not lit up affect the likelihood a catch will or will not be made?

I like that there are more throwing options now but how do we throw a lob, bullet, etc...? I.e. how do I as a user affect the trajectory of my throws?

Are the new drop backs automatic? If so, can the user get out of the animation or do you have to do the dropback first before taking control of the QB?

Is there a rating that makes some QBs better at throwing on the run while others will struggle more with accuracy/throw power?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I noticed they said the DBs have to see the ball to react but didn't mention it for WRs. Does it apply both ways? I.e. can I manually or will my CPU WR make a catch w/o possibly even knowing the ball is in the air?
    Yes, it seems WRs need to see the ball too

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    - Both offensive and defensive players "have to see it before they can make a play on the ball."

watched the video, and I like the changes. of course, I'll need to judge it myself, but I like how the trajectory of the passes are looking. as long as I can still have user control to make catches & trigger certain spec. catch animations, I love it.

so when larry says "no more psychich db's" what exactly is he referring to? is it just regarding a db's ability to make a play on the ball when his back is turned, or does it also apply to how a db covers his receiver as well?

its still present in the game how the db's run the route of the receiver. its not as blatant as what it was in past versions of the game where a db could be 5 yards in front of his cover man, but i still see db's making a cut before the wr does (seems to only be for great db's).

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Yes, it seems WRs need to see the ball too
    Thus, the icons lighting up... With the light up though I do have a question: At some point during the play will a lit up receiver UNLIGHT? Will a less aware wr, for example, lose focus during a play and give up on it if he gets covered or finishes his route?

My biggest question will be on screen plays. How is the blocking on an HB screen play going to affect the dropback? In all previous versions the o-line just whiffs on 3 out of 4 d-linemen and allow them a free shot at the qb. No matter what dropback you put in the game, if this happens via the o-line, the qb cannot get the pass away cleanly, especially from under center. There needs to be an "engagement period" from the o-line to make a screen a run-able play.

Another is are they still working on tuning db coverage OR is LSU DB #7 just an elite cb so he's able to guess routes better than other cbs? The "psychic db" pattern here has NOT changed based on the gameplay footage because dbs are still running routes better than the wrs! That is as much, if not an even bigger problem for me is that the dbs run the route as if they were in the huddle. If a lesser db will trail routes and the better dbs just have a "sense" for them then I will be fine, but if all cbs play as Mr Matthew in game... I will not consider psychic dbs eliminated.

I do love what we see here from the qbs, especially the rollouts, as those are the most difficult thing to do in the game. As asked before, when can we take over the qb and if we throw it away, will the qb throw to the correct side of the field? I've had my qb spin around to throw the ball away to the other side of the field far too often before when he's on the run.

Only 2 more questions pertaining to this info and then I'll probably wait for Tuesday to ask more because I think my other questions could be answered in the blog. First, with the new "see the ball to make a play on it" technique, does pass interference exist? Will a db that does not see the ball run into a wr and will it be called? And secondly, do any new interactions exist between a db and a wr? If a db gets beat badly (instead of just leaving the wr WIDE open) will he grab a hold of the wr to draw a holding penalty instead of giving up a td, or anything like that?

Thanks guys, really excited to see this info.

Oh also, does intentional grounding exist?

I don't know, but I still saw corners running the route ahead of the receiver in several of the clips they showed last night. I thought it was funny because as soon as he said psychic DBs are gone, the very next clip the DB was like 3 yards ahead of the receiver running an in route.

I don't know if it was footage from '11 showing what they meant, but I hope to God they removed that. Not only does it highly disrupt the passing game, it's just plain annoying to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrah View Post
    Thus, the icons lighting up
    yes that's my take on it too. When the icon lights up, they are in the stage of their route to see/make a catch.

Something I don't see here that I really wish I did is the ability for multiple players on the field to attempt to make a play on the ball when it's in the air. Take the very last clip at 14:42 for example. The USC wr goes and makes a play on the ball. Instead of diving in to knock it free or making a late dive to knock the ball away, the Ucla S and CB just avoid contact, meaning it is impossible for the wr to drop it. I don't like the look of a defender conceding the play like that, mostly because you won't hardly ever see it IRL. This is the type of play I'm talking about when I say "more wr/db interactions".

Or take the Georgia/Kentucky clip at 13:30 as another example. The db is in perfect position to make a play on the ball! All he needs to do is reach around the wr and attempt to knock the ball away. That's the play a db would attempt to make IRL. Instead, the db concedes the catch and makes an awkward tackle. On that same play, the S #48 should come over and attempt to make the tackle! He is not in a any position to make the play on the ball, but he is close enough in proximity to give an effort toward the wr.

Anyways, I'm getting nit-picky with the last example, but I want to see more of an honest effort from more than just one player at a time on the field. 3 more good things that I see:

-I am in LOVE with the sideline catches! No more catching and holding with both feet in bounds for 3 seconds.

-It really looks like we'll be able to tell the difference between qb dropbacks in their agility, which leads me to believe that making a move out of the pocket will also vary. On top of this, the D-linemen in these clips are reacting much much better without being able to latch on to a qb who is not inside their tackle range while he's throwing (I'm assuming the rollout effect and new throwing animations took care of the issue). Hopefully with the new trajectory stuff, they have added passing zone accuracy for short, middle and deep passes.

-It looks like momentum has become more of a factor. Not enough, but more. At least with the wrs (for the most part), the wr has to actually make the cut in and out of his breaks. Db's are also not (for the most part) able to stop and change directions on a dime. This is especially true when their back is turned which is GREAT to see. Hopefully this extra "cut step" has been added to runners with the ball too.
    Last edited by Jayrah; 04-13-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Is it just me or do the animations look really bad?

please, please, please, someone tell me on tuesday that the 6 qb ratings from madden made it in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I don't know, but I still saw corners running the route ahead of the receiver in several of the clips they showed last night. I thought it was funny because as soon as he said psychic DBs are gone, the very next clip the DB was like 3 yards ahead of the receiver running an in route.

I don't know if it was footage from '11 showing what they meant, but I hope to God they removed that. Not only does it highly disrupt the passing game, it's just plain annoying to see.
    This is EXACTLY what I was thinking almost word for word! Haha. I am hoping that was 12 gameplay with 13 graphics showing what they previously would do. If not, that was definitely psychic DB#7 lol.
    Last edited by beartide06; 04-13-2012 at 12:54 PM.

" DB #7 " definitely ran the receivers' route a few times during those clips lol.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    I will really be interested to see how this actually works. defensive players "have to see it before they can make a play on the ball hopefully it's not just for the DB that is on your WR, but also eliminates the other DBs that were manned up on other WRs and will peel off magically.
    2nd this

Chris, I know you can't answer anything now, but I want to ask a question that will hopefully be addressed Tuesday in the Video Blog or, if not, maybe you can answer after that. In regards to the WR icons not showing up or lighting up my question is this:

Let's say I am in 5-wide and run what EA calls Smash, or in the playbook it's called Bearcat Smash, but let's say I call that play w/ the trips side to the left and I am on the left hash. I recognize that the D is in Cover 2, thus my inside WR on the trips side - who's running a post route - should be open. The middle WR on the trips side and the inside WR on the other side are running Corner routes, so they should tie up the FS/SS. Okay... so at the snap of the ball I notice my LT getting beaten badly by the DE and I know if I hold the ball it's going to be a sack...

Can I choose to throw to the WR running the post route if I put touch on the ball and lead him to the post even though his icon isn't lit up and if so, once he makes the break for the post, will he then turn and locate the ball? This would be realistic and would be something you see in college and pro quite a bit... a QB throwing the ball to a spot, knowing his WR will get there but also avoiding a sack.

Again, I know you can't answer now, but would really appreciate an answer if they don't cover this on Tuesday. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by xMrHitStickx904 View Post
    " DB #7 " definitely ran the receivers' route a few times during those clips lol.
    Yes he did, noticed he wasn't even looking for the ball at the 1410 mark but turned and took off like he was playing it the whole time.

Having said that, I have no clue whether that was 13 or 12 that was showing there either. It is also a small sample size as well. Looking forwards to more gameplay vids that is for sure!!

Overall I like what I heard/read and look forward to seeing how it's implemented in the game. It could have a tremendous upside but could leave us all wanting more as well.

Oh it was definitely 13 just judging off the players movement and various things.

He definitely did jump a few routes turning around and catching it like he was the WR. Then on a few in Zone looked like he waited then reacted.

Anyway I know it's just a build but I knew I seen what I saw lol