Thread: NCAA championship game playoff system

• Facebook
  • Display

NCAA championship game playoff system

I am wanted to start a petition to the ncaa on getting a championship playoff system to replace the BSC - anybody interested. Please let me know. Or if you think this is impossible let me know as well.

No offense, but based on the spelling and grammar in that post, you might want someone else to write the petition.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    No offense, but based on the spelling and grammar in that post, you might want someone else to write the petition.
    smooth judgemental? never

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    smooth judgemental? never
    Well, if you "am wanted" to start a petition to get rid of the "BSC", be my guest.

Save your breath, OP. Your petition will be used for actual or virtual toilet paper, depending on your preferred petition of choice. It won't happen until the presidents want it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Save your breath, OP. Your petition will be used for actual or virtual toilet paper, depending on your preferred petition of choice. It won't happen until the presidents want it to happen.
    As for the actual topic, agreed. Sure, this talk about a +1 system being discussed by the NCAA and conferences is nice and all, but ultimately, the BCS needs to go altogether. Get an 8 team playoff going, and let everyone else with at least 6 wins continue going to bowl games like normal. It's a win-win. We get a playoff to decide the champion (decided on the field), we get multiple weeks of bowl games, and the conferences and teams all still get all their bowl game money.

Unfortunately the NCAA is run by a bunch of fucking idiots who are too stupid to see this.

Just for the sake of argument, something I just threw together within 15-20 minutes. It combines the regular yearly bowl season for teams with 6 or more wins, and then either an 8 or 16 team playoff/tournament for the top 8 or 16 teams or whatever ratings/rankings system.

In an 8 team playoff using the past season's BCS standings, this is how it would look (with neutral fields located roughly halfway between each team in parentheses):

LSU vs. Kansas State (Oklahoma or Dallas)
    Alabama vs. Boise State (Nebraska, Denver or Kansas City)
    Oklahoma State vs. Arkansas (Tulsa, Dallas or Oklahoma)
    Stanford vs. Oregon (unsure, maybe Boise State, otherwise would have to be something in close vicinity to one or the other)

And a 16 team playoff using the past season's BCS standings (with neutral fields located roughly halfway between each team in parenthesis):

LSU vs. Georgia (Alabama or Florida State)
    Alabama vs. Clemson (Georgia or Atlanta)
    Oklahoma State vs. Oklahoma (Dallas or Arkansas)
    Stanford vs. Michigan (Denver, Nebraska or Kansas City)
    Oregon vs. Baylor (Denver, Utah or San Diego)
    Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech (Tennessee)
    Boise State vs. Wisconsin (Denver or Nebraska)
    Kansas State vs. South Carolina (Louisville)

Now lets look at the schedule, since that's always something that's used to argue against a playoff (despite the fact that schools are OUT for winter breaks during the entire fucking time of the bowl season). This past season, the first bowl games were played on Saturday, December 17th, so lets use that as our starting point.

Saturday, December 17
    Playoffs - Round of 8 (8 team tournament)/Round of 16 (16 team tournament)
    First day of bowl games (both in this scenario and was the actual first day of bowl games in the past real life season)

Saturday, December 24 (date could be adjusted due to the Christmas holiday weekend)
    Final Four (8 team tournament)/Round of 8 (16 team tournament)

Saturday, December 31 (date could be adjusted due to the New Year's holiday weekend)
    Championship Game (8 team tournament)/Final Four (16 team tournament)

Saturday, January 7 or Monday, January 9
    Championship Game (16 team tournament)
    Date of this past season's actual real life BCS Championship game

Now tell me, what the fuck is so hard for the NCAA to wrap their heads around something like that and implement it? You still get ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the bowl money that the conferences and teams usually get, and you could SELL the fuck out of the playoff games for sponsors and make a shit ton of sponsorship money with each playoff game, plus you'll have extra money from multiple teams selling tickets for multiple games the deeper they go in the playoff and multiple fans and members of the public buying tickets to those games, you'll have extra sponsor money coming in, etc. You would end up with MORE money by adding those games from having a playoff than you make now, and it all still perfectly fits within the exact time frame of the current bowl season.

So therefore, I stand by my previous argument that the NCAA is run by a bunch of fucking idiots who are too stupid to see this.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 04-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beckya View Post
    Please let me know. Or if you think this is impossible let me know as well.
    Pretty sure if you look around it's going to be out there already. I don't know of a current petition, but I'm sure there's bound to be one somewhere on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Just for the sake of argument, something I just threw together within 15-20 minutes.
    If you want to see a good idea for a 16-team playoff (somewhat similar to yours), check out this one from FO's Bill C: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/var...erfect-playoff
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud