Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: 2012 NFL Offseason Talk

• Facebook
  • Display
    Hey I'm a steelers fan through and through and Wallace IMO isn't as good as brown just saying.

There is no way he is worth the kind of money he is demanding. The steelers can use that kind of money in other areas down the road.

As Skip mentioned or someone else he simply fell off the map towards the end of the season once Brown came into his own.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Greg Jennings isn't Top 5 and neither is Austin or Bowe. You're nuts if you'd take either three of those over Wallace.
    Wallace knows one route really. Go deep. That's a great route to know and have but as we said Brown goes over the middle, deep, short you name it

Greg Jennings is a better WR than Wallace IMO. Or a more complete WR, however you want to put it. Bowe lacks speed but yet he always finds the endzone. That isn't all because of his QB because let's face it Cassel is nothing to right home about..but again his route running gets him open and into the endzone. Austin still a better all around WR than Wallace. Once he can run multiple routes well as he runs deep than he'll be that Top 5 WR but right now he isn't and he won't get that type of money.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    As Skip mentioned or someone else he simply fell off the map towards the end of the season once Brown came into his own.
    Yep I said he fell of towards the end of the season. But him early and have help over the top. He's not out jumping anyone like Moss use to do. He's not going to over powering anyone either.

Brown's emergence wasn't an accident. He runs more routes than Wallace. He was one of if not Ben's favorite target and the receptor of many of Ben's big 3rd down throws.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    It wasn't one first rounder, it was TWO first rounders. NO WR is worth that much.
    Wrong again. 2 first rounders would have been if the Steelers Franchised him. They didn't. They tendered him at the highest RFA level for which the cost is ONE first rounder.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04...-mike-wallace/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I do think it's important to note that Wallace is not a holdout. He's simply unsigned. A holdout is when a player under contract refuses to show up. I know everybody likes to use that term but I personally find it unfair when it takes two sides to get a contract signed. The team may be holding out on Wallace. The Steelers have never been known to hand out big money to their people willingly. I know that is often a smart and prudent thing in the world of the NFL but it can often lead to problems like this. Especially when one blown out knee in a violent sport can dramatically affect your next contract.

I personally felt that when Ronnie Brown and Jason Allen "held out" after being drafted my Miami it was almost entirely the Dolphins fault for unreasonable contract demands. The Dolphins were the true holdouts in those situations as they simply refused to pay Brown the money a #2 draft pick got back then. I know the money was stupid but that was the system. Pay it. They also demanded Jason Allen accept a 6 year deal despite the fact the two DBs drafted right in front of him only signed 5 year deals. They weren't even fighting over money on the first five years of the contract but the Dolphins wanted to get him cheap for a 6th year and told his agent they didn't care if the guys signing around him signed five years. They would force him to do what they wanted. Both guys showed up to camp at least three weeks late and then Wayne Huizenga had the balls to bash the process and demand his next first rounder sign before training camp or get no contract. How about you look in the mirror instead?

NFL teams usually hold most of the leverage in contract talks. This is one situation with Wallace where he has a little leverage and as usual the fans jump all over the player and demand he sign for whatever the Steelers are offering. It's not that simple.

You're right, he's not "holding out". But, you're a little misguided in saying that he has the leverage.

His choices are: not play and still be a RFA next offseason; play for the $2.7M tender; sign the tender in Week 11 (to get an accrued season) and only get paid 6/16ths of $2.7M. In any of those scenarios, the Steelers could Tag him next year (though they wouldn't). The team has all the control.

I still believe he'll be signed long term. If not, at least the Steelers won't strap themselves to a stupid contract. They let Burress walk in his prime (and won the Super Bowl the next year). They also traded Holmes in his prime (and beat his Jets in the AFC Championship Game the next year). The Steelers do it the right way and that is why they are able to sustain success.

I was going to post the same about Burress and Holmes.

Ward however did stay

I understand why the Steelers don't want to commit huge money. I'm just saying it's not fair for most fans to blame Wallace for not being there. If DeSean Jackson can get a new contract at $9.4 mil a year and Vincent Jackson gets $11 mil a year, I think Wallace is better than both of those guys and should get at least as much. I don't know what Pit has offered but it has be over $10 mil a year if they want to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I understand why the Steelers don't want to commit huge money. I'm just saying it's not fair for most fans to blame Wallace for not being there. If DeSean Jackson can get a new contract at $9.4 mil a year and Vincent Jackson gets $11 mil a year, I think Wallace is better than both of those guys and should get at least as much. I don't know what Pit has offered but it has be over $10 mil a year if they want to keep him.
    Per year figures and contract totals are far less important than structure and guarantees, but I know what you are trying to say.

Let me explain Wallace's situation. He is a fantastic player, a game changer. He is worth a great deal of money. The problem for him is that he is either 1a or 1b (1b IMO) at the deepest position on the roster. The Steelers have Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. He is a luxury to have and he makes the Steelers offense that much more difficult to defend.

However, they'd be fine without him. They're not in a bind, like many other teams would be, because of great depth at the position. Eventually, Wallace will sign his tender and things will move forward. There's no reason for Pittsburgh to send the message to every other player on the roster that they have changed their own rules on how, when, and who they deal with.

This gives you a little idea of how contract totals can be deceiving:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...-steelers-you/

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Let me explain Wallace's situation. He is a fantastic player, a game changer. He is worth a great deal of money. The problem for him is that he is either 1a or 1b (1b IMO) at the deepest position on the roster. The Steelers have Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. He is a luxury to have and he makes the Steelers offense that much more difficult to defend.

However, they'd be fine without him. They're not in a bind, like many other teams would be, because of great depth at the position.
    That's sort of the worst case scenario for getting a contract done. A great young player who would get a ton of money on the open market being stuck on a team that doesn't need him as much and doesn't plan on paying him crazy FA money either. It will be interesting to see how long this drags out.

Per year figures and contract totals are far less important than structure and guarantees, but I know what you are trying to say.

However, they'd be fine without him. They're not in a bind, like many other teams would be, because of great depth at the position. Eventually, Wallace will sign his tender and things will move forward. There's no reason for Pittsburgh to send the message to every other player on the roster that they have changed their own rules on how, when, and who they deal with.

This gives you a little idea of how contract totals can be deceiving:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07...-steelers-you/
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    So, looks like the Brownie bitches are about to be owned by a Steelers fan. Too fucking funny.
    The Steelers have owned us since we came back as an expansion team...might as well make it official.

Quote Originally Posted by IBI View Post
    The Steelers have owned us since we came back as an expansion team...might as well make it official.

Can Wallace put the team on his back, doe?
    #GregJennings
    Last edited by souljahbill; 07-29-2012 at 04:16 PM.

I think the 1a/1b comment was a good one. A lot of people on here not giving Wallace enough credit. When he busted onto the scene he ran one route. However last year he started to run other routes and was pretty successful the first half of the year.

Now people say he tailed off 2nd half and while this is true, what really was the cause. Personally I think it was z combination of things. Defenses became aware of him doing more than going deep and started paying a lot of attention to him. This also allowed Brown to emerge and Ben obviously started going to him. Not taking anything away from him but I think Wallace drawing all of the attention allowed him to be a threat.

One thing I completely don't agree with is we would be fine without Wallace. I don't think either of them can carry a team and without Meandenhall we definitely need them both.

Desean and Vincent got overpaid but I do think you need to give Wallace $10mil or as said structure it right.

They'd be fine without Wallace, Eric.

Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller, Saunders, Rainey. The cupboard would not be bare.

Are the Steelers better with Wallace? Of course! But would they fall apart without him? No. It's not like Cleveland, or something, where there aren't any targets.

I'm excited to see how the line comes together and how Redman carries the load while Mendenhall is out. I think the run game will be improved this year. Having DeCastro and Colon (please stay healthy) at guard will be a big lift.

They'd be fine without Wallace, Eric.

Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller, Saunders, Rainey. The cupboard would not be bare.

Are the Steelers better with Wallace? Of course! But would they fall apart without him? No. It's not like Cleveland, or something, where there aren't any targets.

I'm excited to see how the line comes together and how Redman carries the load while Mendenhall is out. I think the run game will be improved this year. Having DeCastro and Colon (please stay healthy) at guard will be a big lift.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree here. Do I think they would be good awful without Wallace, no. But I think they would miss him a lot. Yes we have a lot of depth at WR, but have a bunch of #3 WRs on your team doesn't make a great receiving crew. Like I said, they need both Wallace and Brown to be great and neither can carry a team by themselves, IMO.

Now the running game is going to be interesting. I'm not sure if Redman can carry the load the whole season, but hopefully they get creative with the other backs. I think the line is definitely going in the right direction and in 2 years could be lights out. Let's not forget to add a (please stay healthy) to Pouncey.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    a bunch of #3 WRs on your team doesn't make a great receiving crew.
    You're going to be surprised to see how well Sanders plays this year.