Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 11 Q&A Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

NCAA Football 11 Q&A Thread

With the TGT admins able to talk about the game starting tomorrow at noon eastern and with others planning to receive the game tomorrow, it's time for impressions. There will be two threads... one for simple Q&A along with discussion, another will be for full impression posts which will basically only be for those that have the game to actually post in.

This will be the Q&A thread... pretty much anything goes but if your question isn't answered, just sit tight. We will do our best to answer all questions but some either take more time or are too specific.

I'll copy over your questions from the early copies thread and paste them in the first reply tomorrow. I've already put together answers for most of them but a few I don't have an answer for.

For now, this thread will remain locked until noon eastern.
    Last edited by JBHuskers; 07-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.

This thread is now open.

To start, I just want you guys to give your honest opinion about the game as a whole

How are the punt, KO, and FG lengths and hang-times for the CPU?

What do or are your impressions of the DL and OL intereactions?

Question for all

Here are the questions from the early copies thread. If your question is not listed below, please repost it. However, if it's not answered below, we will do our best to answer it over the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelaw View Post
    Well if you guys do have access to online can you check to see if you can change stadiums in unranked games.
    Cannot change stadiums nor weather in online games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelaw View Post
    Also can someone post if there is any new plays in the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5.Thanks
    Unfortunately no, at least not the actual 3-3-5 & 4-2-5 formations. The playbooks did get the changes that they added in the Nickel & Dime but that's about it. Largely it seems there weren't a lot of changes made to the defensive playbooks. Certainly not the extent that the offensive playbooks saw.

Additionally, I'm sad to report that the SS2 Man Coverage bug is still in (where SS2 moves to middle of formation but assigned Slot WR). I mentioned this to them at Community Day but possibly there wasn't enough time to fix it. I've mentioned it to them again in my notes for the retail version.
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback44 View Post
    Couple quick questions JB. Does Illinois' playbook reflect the hiring of Paul Petrino, ie. is it the Arkansas playbook? Also, if one of you gets the chance, can you take a gander at the Arkansas playbook and let me know if they added a Pistol formation. If they did that then I will be the happiest guy on the internet!
    Just going off of formation listings, they're identical except Arkansas has Shotgun - Ace and Illinois has Shotgun - Split Slot. Both the Arkansas and Illinois playbooks the Pistol - Slot formation.
    Quote Originally Posted by beartide06 View Post
    I wonder if we will be able to receive conference invites as well as being hired and fired in Online Dynasties? That's my question lol.
    No. You cannot receive conference invites nor job offers or firings from online dynasty. The coaching contracts that were mentioned before are the same as they were in past versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerBlitz View Post
    Can you guys check something fairly quickly? Do TB teams still have gray undershirts or are they team colored now?

Another thing, can you say if the stats are numbered like in years past or do we still have to count downward to see what our stat ranking is?
    Looks like it's the same as previous iterations... you'll have to count down. However, one nice little addition for player stats is that straight from the Dynasty menu, they show a run down of top performers at certain stats: passing yards, rushing yards, receiving yards, tackles, sacks, & interceptions. It shows the top 5 at the position plus your player's ranking.
    Quote Originally Posted by lsutig187 View Post
    How is crowd noise in the retail version? This is a problem that has always persisted in the next-gen games. Does it sound like a real stadium or does it sound like a high school game?

Any idea if Stadium Sounds have been added to TeamBuilder teams for more than just one condition?
    My understanding is that Stadium Sounds were not touched this year so I would assume this is the same as last year.
    Another question, is there any difference in the Pistol playbooks of Ohio and Indiana from Nevada? Thanks!
    They are different. Here's a link to the NCAA Football 11 Playbooks Spreadsheet that I put together so that you can see which formations each includes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    #4 - is there any "penalty" for setting your hum DL to "aggressive". i haven't seen my d-line jump offsides yet in the demo and they always "jump the snap"

#5 - is is still nearly impossible to get a user "big hit" with the "hit stick"? - i'm actually hoping this is the case
    Once you get used to the timing, the big hits are easier, however it's still easy to miss them.
    #6 - for me there were far too many fumbles in the demo - have you seen allot of fumbles in the retail?
    Fumbles seem to be heavily dependent on momentum. If you start having too many fumbles then the gameplan running setting can definitely help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    It was brought up in another thread, but is dynamic attendance better this year?
    They're about the same this year as last. Adam Thompson had this to say previously on the subject:
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Thompson
    The problem with emptying the stadiums too much is that the empty stands look really bad and will give you a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Aglemar View Post
    I would like to know this as well. I would also like to know if EA fixed the promise "win verses rivals" for teambuilder teams this year. Last year you could make the promise, but it always failed.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Is the CPU's punting any different/better?

The CPU always punts horribly and gives away a ton of yardage because it has no "coffin corner" logic and it generally shanks too many punts.

Has this changed at all?
    Unfortunately no. CPU punting seems to be about the same as last year. I've seen the similar shanked punts from previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Here's a question

If you use a bowl stadium from a TB team, is it still split 50/50?

Another question I just thought of. Could you just recruit several seasons at all of the different difficulties with a Powerhouse; "Middle of the Road" and a "Cupcake" and see what difficulties you feel get the most realistic results?
    That's going to take some time. Honestly we may not be able to get to that until after release simply because of the variables that you're requesting. I'll try to see if I can test it some but no promises. I will say though that using Arkansas State on the default (Varsity) recruiting level, I was able to sign some 3-star players that came in at 64OVR. I also signed a 1-star just to take a shot at a kid and he came in at 40OVR. I honestly didn't attempt any 4-star players but I noticed that the CPU competed more for the 3-stars than they seemed to in the past.
    Dreads?
    There's a $60 DLC that will be available in 365 days that is expected to have it but no promises. Honestly though, no, they're not in NCAA11. However, with the stink some of those guys are making, it might end up being next year's Formation Subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by UGA14 View Post
    Is the game an INT fest? I'm playing the demo of FSU - Florida and the game has seen 9 INTs. What's amazing is I've thrown 6 and I almost never get picked off on Heisman.
    As I mentioned with fumbles, INTs seem to come a lot based on momentum. If you force a few passes, then yeah you'll get picked. If you force it some more, you'll continue to get picked. Related to this, there's no QB Quiz at all this year so in order to build your QBs confidence back up you'll either need to start completing a lot of safe passes or sub him out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingface View Post
    I definitely am curious on how the cpu will run the ball and the type of plays they call. Sick of sack fests because the cpu can't run a proper screen pass.
    In most of my games versus lower-level teams, the CPU definitely can run the ball on you. I haven't played a whole lot of high-level teams so I haven't formed a complete opinion on those.
    As for the screens, I've still seen the QB hold onto the ball too long on screen plays but for the most part, they do seem to make a better effort to get rid of the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglemar View Post
    Another question - did choice and/or read routes make it into the Run and Shoot playbook?
    In the generic Run and Shoot playbook, I only see a handful of choice/read/option routes. They are there, but they're sparsely scattered.
    Quote Originally Posted by UGA14 View Post
    Oh here's my question: Have they FINALLY fixed the pride stickers on Georgia's helmets? They touted this years ago as something cool but they haven't worked right on Georgia since the jump to next-gen basically, that or they broke it along the way... I forgot. Just curious if the dog bones show up on the helmets similar to the buckeye logo on Ohio State's helmets...

This just if any of you guys happen to play as or against Georgia before I get the game. Not a huge deal I'm just curious.
    Spoiler: show

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    I'm curious what is done with Teambuilder teams in regards to Team Entrances. Namely, do they use the Team Entrance for the stadium? For their Playbook? Or just a generic entrance that happens to be in that stadium? Or is it altogether skipped?
    JB was one step ahead of you
    Spoiler: show

Quote Originally Posted by procops1 View Post
    please tell me the usc bowl ban is in the game.
    They didn't announce the bowl ban until after the game had already gone gold. Either way, I don't think it would have made it in though.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    To start, I just want you guys to give your honest opinion about the game as a whole
    As a whole, this game is very polished. All of the changes & additions to the game are game changers in my opinion with none of them drastically overdone. Of course there are some complaints here & there but on the whole, this game is a really big jump from NCAA 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    How are the punt, KO, and FG lengths and hang-times for the CPU?
    Kickoffs on the whole seem much better this year. I've seen kickoffs land around the 15 and others land at the goalline. Field goal lengths also seem better although might still be a bit long... I BARELY reached a 50 yarder with the Arkansas State kicker and no wind. I haven't paid a lot of attention to punt lengths but I'm bad to ask about that because I almost always go for the sideline kick and mine can go anywhere from 35 to 45 yards. Hang times I haven't paid a lot of attention to.
    What do or are your impressions of the DL and OL intereactions?

Question for all
    Very nice. You seem to really be able to tell the difference between poorly rated and greatly rated players. As well, with just a 4 man front, you can create pressure on the QB... a 3 man gives him a fair more amount of time but a blitz will pressure him quickly.

Thanks for the answers to my questions! Definitely glad to see the Pistol made it in to the Arkansas playbook.

Also, kudos for the work you put in to the playbook spreadsheet. That is going to be very helpful. I can't even begin to imagine how long that took you.

Recruit
    Thanks for the answers to my questions i am bummed about the stadium thing really wish they would bring it back maybe next year.And wow that spreadsheet will help out a ton.

Does the shotgun read option work any better than the demo?

Quote Originally Posted by WingedHelmet View Post
    Does the shotgun read option work any better than the demo?
    I don't remember having too difficult time in the demo but it definitely works well in the retail version. You definitely have to make the right read and the run assignment blocking diagram helps you determine that. If you make the right read, you can get big yardage with either the QB keeper or the hand off.

In a user game are the squib kicks fixed? When kicked it doesnt go far enough back so you can see the returner pick the ball up

also comment on the demo to retail fixes.
    Last edited by texacotea; 07-09-2010 at 12:00 PM.

The problem I always had was any time the "right" read was the keep, the QB would stutter step for a split second, and that would allow the DE who was crashing on the RB to make the play on the QB instead.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    As a whole, this game is very polished. All of the changes & additions to the game are game changers in my opinion with none of them drastically overdone. Of course there are some complaints here & there but on the whole, this game is a really big jump from NCAA 10.
    G did you happen to play Madden in 09 and 10?

The reason I ask is because if you played 09, then 10 you could notice a HUGE step in the right direction.

I was wondering if this could be likened to that. From your words even if you didn't play Madden, it seems that NCAA has taken a similar step.

Quote Originally Posted by texacotea View Post
    In a user game are the squib kicks fixed? When kicked it doesnt go far enough back so you can see the returner pick the ball up
    Well, they're fixed but not sure it's in the way that everyone expected. The fix was to keep the camera the same as it was, but to instead have the ball bounce off of a FB or TE (the line of blockers in front of the returners). I assume this is how they intended for it to work from the beginning based on the camera. So far I haven't seen any get past that row of blockers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedHelmet View Post
    The problem I always had was any time the "right" read was the keep, the QB would stutter step for a split second, and that would allow the DE who was crashing on the RB to make the play on the QB instead.
    I don't think there's too much of a stutter step problem in the retail version but I will definitely say that a quick and smart DE can still make a play but for the most part, the DE isn't usually the one making the play when you make the right read.

I captured video footage of running the triple option from the Flexbone, Wishbone, I-Form, Shotgun Split, and Pistol but it will take a while to edit it. I probably won't have it up until sometime later this weekend. But it should help give a better indication of what you're wanting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    G did you happen to play Madden in 09 and 10?

The reason I ask is because if you played 09, then 10 you could notice a HUGE step in the right direction.

I was wondering if this could be likened to that. From your words even if you didn't play Madden, it seems that NCAA has taken a similar step.
    I didn't play 09 at all but I played 10 for a month or so. I would probably liken it to the steps that Madden 10 took if not even further. IMO this game is the first in a long time to really give you the college feel all the way around... not just Madden with different teams.

How's the coverage, both underneath & deep compared to the demo?

EDIT- Also, that Playbook spreadsheet is really NICE! Good work!
    Last edited by Kwizzy; 07-09-2010 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    How's the coverage, both underneath & deep compared to the demo?
    Realize that we haven't really played the demo in nearly two weeks. Really easy to confuse ourselves when it comes to comparing the two. However, coverage underneath is still not quite what I want it to be. I think it's mostly that the defense's hook zones are a yard or two too deep. The deep coverage definitely seem to be better than years past, however players can make mistakes. What appears to be happening in my opinion is that players often commit to a guy that's either in their zone or coming into their zone... especially if the guy is one of their better receivers. That sometimes leaves holes in the coverage because he's shading too much to a particular receiver. I don't think it's overblown the way it works but you definitely have to watch your player ratings for your defenders and put the best zone coverage guys in the right spot.

Something I've just recently been experimenting with is using Dime & Dime 326 with one as zone and one as man coverage personnel (using formation subs). Then, if I want to go with zone coverage, I can call Dime 326 or if I want to go with man coverage, I call the Dime formation.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I didn't play 09 at all but I played 10 for a month or so. I would probably liken it to the steps that Madden 10 took if not even further. IMO this game is the first in a long time to really give you the college feel all the way around... not just Madden with different teams.
    Thanks man, all I needed to know

Overall it is very good. When I was referencing the demo, then going to retail, then going back to the demo. A LOT of things were tightened up. Especially interceptions and fumbles. In the demo, I'd throw a pick almost everytime.

Additionally recruiting is just plain fun. The "Coach's Choice" only came up once every other call for me, so don't expect to get overdone with that option. Recruited on Varsity difficulty, and so far it hasn't been too easy. Granted with the online being flushed a couple of times, we didn't get to go very far on our OD's.

As you see in my Nebraska vs. Nebraska Tech video, a lesser team on All-Amercian will have some trouble. I lost 24-3, so I didn't get blown out of the water, but I had a very hard time getting momentum on offense.