Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS4 announcement this year would be distracting - PS3 Just hitting it's stride

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    That was my thoughts exactly. MS and Sony could both wait two more years to even announce new consoles and they would still never be threatened by the WiiU.
    That is what they both thought coming into this gen. Wacky little controller, weak graphics, niche console, limited market to Nintendo fans.

Worldwide sales figures (from Wiki)

Wii – 94.97 million as of 31 December 2011
    Xbox 360 – 57.6 million as of 4 November 2011
    PlayStation 3 – 56 million as of 2 November 2011

360 needed the Kinect to make a resurgence in sales and Sony also copied with the Move. That said Wii still has a untouchable lead. They will be the first to the market with a tablet style controller, rumors are MS is looking at a similar controller. I seem to recall something about history, repeating something or another.

Sure, why would anyone be threatened by a company with hardware sales almost double the 360/PS3?
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-18-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    That is what they both thought coming into this gen. Wacky little controller, weak graphics, niche console, limited market to Nintendo fans.

360 needed the Kinect to make a resurgence in sales and Sony also copied with the Move. That said Wii still has a untouchable lead. They will be the first to the market with a tablet style controller, rumors are MS is looking at a similar controller. I seem to recall something about history, repeating something or another.

Sure, why would anyone be threatened by a company with hardware sales almost double the 360/PS3?
    I'm talking specifically for hardcore gamers, not in general.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I'm talking specifically for hardcore gamers, not in general.
    Not a big fan of breaking down gamers but if we must... Technically the most hardcore gamers have owned a Wii at some point. That is what makes them "hardcore gamers" i.e. they play the games and not the system. Close to 100 million of those Wii's sold, you would imagine a few of those are people that would be considered "hardcore." Especially considering that Nintendo has had a console out since the NES and has franchises/fanbase that have been around since the 1980's.

To me this is hardcore.

http://zeldatimeline.com/ZeldaTimeline2010b.jpg

http://www.gamefront.com/this-ankle-...-game-tattoos/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEMD28MMtNg

Anything from this dude. if you have never heard of Ulillillia, you are not hardcore.

http://www.ulillillia.us/mainindex.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/user/ulillillia

People who do speed runs, play games with house rules just to play them some more, play games just to win fictional achievement points, keep all their old games and consoles (even the boxes), etc, etc, etc.

I just play the silly things, some people take their obsession to a whole, nother, level and that is hardcore. Wanting a sports game to play more like the real thing does not make you a hardcore gamer, it makes you anal retentive.

I really don't want to see the 720 or PS4 for the next couple of years at the earliest. PS3 still hasn't developed to it's potential and so much more can be done. Plus, the big thing for me is that I am now 36 and with my kids growing up as fast as they are I just don't know if I have another console in me.

take that statement with a grain of salt as the sales numbers you listed include the holiday sales for the wii but not for the 360/ps3. i'm sure there werent 40 million 360's/ps3's sold over the holidays, but those numbers you listed are a little skewed.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    take that statement with a grain of salt as the sales numbers you listed include the holiday sales for the wii but not for the 360/ps3. i'm sure there werent 40 million 360's/ps3's sold over the holidays, but those numbers you listed are a little skewed.
    No. The Wii is the most accessible console EVER. Old people that NEVER play console games bought a Wii. There are people that just have the Wii, Wii Sports, and shit like Wii Fit with the Wii Balance Board thing.

The Wii may be shit graphically and the under the hood stuff may be basically a slightly souped up Gamecube, but Nintendo knew what they were doing. The casual game market is completely controlled by Nintendo with the Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    No. The Wii is the most accessible console EVER. Old people that NEVER play console games bought a Wii. There are people that just have the Wii, Wii Sports, and shit like Wii Fit with the Wii Balance Board thing.

The Wii may be shit graphically and the under the hood stuff may be basically a slightly souped up Gamecube, but Nintendo knew what they were doing. The casual game market is completely controlled by Nintendo with the Wii.
    Correct, but do you think those people that you're describing will have any desire to go out and purchase a new console (ie WiiU)? No. My parents bought a Wii and never use it... if it weren't for my neices and nephew coming over, it would never get used. The WiiU won't have nearly the same type of sales that the Wii had... especially considering old people hate confusing controllers.

i'm not referring to the wii's popularity....just the numbers presented by bdoughty. with the inclusion of the holiday season for only the wii, it slightly skews the numbers of how popular the wii is. i know its the most popular console.

i'm not referring to the wii's popularity....just the numbers presented by bdoughty. with the inclusion of the holiday season for only the wii, it slightly skews the numbers of how popular the wii is. i know its the most popular console.
    Okay so add a a million or so to the PS3 and 360, I took the numbers from wiki and that is what they had listed. Oh, but while you are at it, care to guesstimate how many of those 360 sales are people replacing a Red Ring console or a new PS3/360 model. etc, etc? Say what you will but Nintendo makes the most dependable console on the market and always has.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-19-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    Correct, but do you think those people that you're describing will have any desire to go out and purchase a new console (ie WiiU)? No. My parents bought a Wii and never use it... if it weren't for my neices and nephew coming over, it would never get used. The WiiU won't have nearly the same type of sales that the Wii had... especially considering old people hate confusing controllers.
    I do not disagree with that but there will still be carryover from that crowd, buying into the next new thing. They tapped the heck out of the casual market but they still own some of the most hardcore fan base out there. Just not the DudeBro gamer and sports gamer who usually falls under the DudeBro mantra.

Okay so add a a million or so to the PS3 and 360, I took the numbers from wiki and that is what they had listed. Oh, but while you are at it, care to guesstimate how many of those 360 sales are people replacing a Red Ring console or a new PS3/360 model. etc, etc? Say what you will but Nintendo makes the most dependable console on the market and always has.
    try adding 10 million or so to both the 360 and ps3. the 360 finished around 65 million consoles, and while its not a huge difference, the numbers you posted didnt show an accurate count.

as far as replacing broken consoles? who cares? btw, the 360 actually sold more consoles last year than any other console. as more games come out for the kinect and move, the 360 and ps3 will push closer and closer to the wii.

try adding 10 million or so to both the 360 and ps3. the 360 finished around 65 million consoles, and while its not a huge difference, the numbers you posted didnt show an accurate count.

as far as replacing broken consoles? who cares? btw, the 360 actually sold more consoles last year than any other console. as more games come out for the kinect and move, the 360 and ps3 will push closer and closer to the wii.
    I read the monthly NPD's at Neogaf, so I am pretty aware of who is doing what. I tried posting a few NPD threads here but there was no interest, so I stopped.

FYI Broken consoles do not add to your consumer base so the numbers are inflated. Based on the 360 having the most broken consoles, they are the most inflated. I have said, in this very thread, the 360 was blowing away the other consoles the past year.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.

Sony would be stupid not to just back out of the console wars altogether. Really, the only people that EVER buy a Sony console are the ones that hate Micro$oft enough to not buy their console.
    Yeah ... no. I'll readily admit that I'm not a Microsoft fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I would easily buy their console if it had the best games. I would have bought an original Xbox if KotOR and KotOR II had been only on the Xbox. But the fact that I'm not a M$ fan has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a PS3 owner first.

Say what you will but Nintendo makes the most dependable console on the market and always has.
    It's also the least risky console (in terms of hardware) plus, based on what I've seen, the smallest number of games sold/console, and therefore probably the least used console of the three. Don't get me wrong, I think the Wii is probably the best built of this current generation, but I also think the use cases are extremely different. My $250 Dell that I bought 5 years ago to build Visual Studio code and browse the Internet has been the most reliable computer I've had in the last decade, but I'm also not trying to stress it at all.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 02-19-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    and therefore probably the least used console of the three.
    True, but when it is used, amazing things can happen.

Spoiler: show

The response to WiiU was VERY lukewarm. Overall MS and Sony can't be worried.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The response to WiiU was VERY lukewarm. Overall MS and Sony can't be worried.
    I guess it depends where you are looking. Sports Gaming sites are not exactly a Nintendo stronghold. There 173 page thread at Neogaf (the 2nd one as the first exceeded the thread count) regarding Wii speculation. Not to mention all the Nintendo sites out there. The Wii hubs at gamespot and IGN, etc. My interest has grown because Nintendo has franchises I enjoy (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc) but could never hook me last gen and I tried. I would never even consider it for sports games, outside the occasion purchase of a Mario Golf or Tennis.