Page 11 of 344 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anything Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    If I see ONE more ad or trailer about the movie Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps or anymore of Gordon Gecko, I'm going to stop watching TV until Sunday. I honestly was interested in seeing it the first few times I've seen the trailer, now I hate it lol

That is all
    ESPN was sure raping us with that trailer last night.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    ESPN was sure raping us with that trailer last night.
    I know!...I think thats when I hit my breaking point, wondered if anyone else caught that onslaught

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by skipwondah33 View Post
    I know!...I think thats when I hit my breaking point, wondered if anyone else caught that onslaught
    Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. They showed it at least twice a commercial break for the entire Pittsburgh vs Miami game (which made watching that dreadfully boring game that much more boring).

I'll take Wall Street commercials (at least they change once in a while) over the Tartive Disconegia or whatever the latest craze of "do you want to sue somebody?!" commercials are. Or the Credit Card Debt commercials. They have taken over HD here to the point that they're on every HD channel. And it's always the cheap, produced by the local television studio look to them ... y'know, the kind of commercials you used to only see at 3 in the morning on the local channels. Now it's during primetime on every freaking HD channel.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Geeky/fanboi moment here ...

DustinFox37
    “@3YardsandACloud: @DustinFox37 Sunday is for recovering from another enjoyable weekend of Buckeye football.” very true..

Getting re-tweeted by Dustin Fox, who I watched for 3 years at Ohio State, is very cool is a surreal kind of way.

yeah there are some cool athletes out there that will converse with you on Twitter.....to name a few, Carl Crawford, Warren Sapp, Bubba Watson

So last night I went to see the American Carnage Tour (Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer). Great show (if you're into that sort of thing) and it was cool to see those 3 bands together again (I saw them play together on 1990's Clash of the Titans Tour at the ripe old age of 16).

Anyway, Jim Florentine is part of the tour as well. He is representing Jaegermeister and basically just introduces each band and tells everyone to buy Jaeger, lol. After the show, we were walking out and he was at the merch booth. I talked to him about Crank Yankers (I always liked that sort of thing) and was telling him that I used to watch it with my daughter (now 9). She always liked his character "Special Ed". So, I asked him if I could call her and have him leave her a message (she has call notes) and he was more than happy to do it!

I called and handed him my phone when call notes picked up. He said (in character, of course), "Hi Allison, this is Special Ed. I like Jello! Yaaaay!" LMAO! Seriously cool of him.

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    So last night I went to see the American Carnage Tour (Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer). Great show (if you're into that sort of thing) and it was cool to see those 3 bands together again (I saw them play together on 1990's Clash of the Titans Tour at the ripe old age of 16).
    Lucky bastard! I would KILL to be able to go to that concert (except for Slayer; don't really care for them).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Lucky bastard! I would KILL to be able to go to that concert (except for Slayer; don't really care for them).
    No, no, no. Slayer is a longtime favorite of mine!

It was a great show. Slayer played Seasons in the Abyss straight through and Megadeth played Rust in Peace straight through. Those are each band's 1990 releases. They both played 5 or so additional songs as well. Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna!) only got about 30 minutes so they just played a few old school songs.

I was lucky enough to see Megadeth last March too. At that time, they also played Rust in Peace straight through. I think Dave's long solo in the middle of Holy Wars is my all-time favorite solo. Both of the times I saw them in the last 6 months, he played that solo twice. Once during the song, and once at the end of the sey during a medley. So, I've seen my favorite solo played live 4 times in 6 months, not a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Awesome!
    It really was, lol. I'm still laughing thinking about it. Very cool of him. I can't wait to hear from her about it.

Saw Lisa Lampanelli on Friday night, that was one hilarious show. I thought I had row two tix, but by the time I checked out on the day they came out, I ended up with row six which was still awesome.

It was a great show. Slayer played Seasons in the Abyss straight through and Megadeth played Rust in Peace straight through. Those are each band's 1990 releases. They both played 5 or so additional songs as well. Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna!) only got about 30 minutes so they just played a few old school songs.
    I REALLY REALLY hope that Anthrax records a new album with Joey. That would be truly amazing.

Awesome that Megadeth played Rust In Peace. That's my favorite album of theirs (though their older stuff is pretty amazing musically, just not lyrically).

And I've just never been a fan of Slayer. They just aren't technical enough for me (or, at least, from the music I've heard by them).

Don't know if you've heard of them before or not, but if you like older metal you should check out Nevermore. Very much in the same vein as Anthrax and Metallica but more technical than both (which is really saying something). The lead singer, Warrel Dane, is an amazing vocalist.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I REALLY REALLY hope that Anthrax records a new album with Joey. That would be truly amazing.

Awesome that Megadeth played Rust In Peace. That's my favorite album of theirs (though their older stuff is pretty amazing musically, just not lyrically).

And I've just never been a fan of Slayer. They just aren't technical enough for me (or, at least, from the music I've heard by them).

Don't know if you've heard of them before or not, but if you like older metal you should check out Nevermore. Very much in the same vein as Anthrax and Metallica but more technical than both (which is really saying something). The lead singer, Warrel Dane, is an amazing vocalist.
    I can't say I'm familiar with Nevermore. I've got a buddy who has 5000 CDs (very conservative guesstimate) so I'll ask him if he has any of their work that I can borrow to check out.

The one 80's thrash band that got overlooked that was great (when they had Jason Newsted) was Flotsam & Jetsam. If you're unfamiliar, track down their album Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986, IIRC). That is a masterpiece and one of my 3 or 4 favorites from that era.

For me, Megadeth fell off after Rust, Metallica after Justice, and Anthrax once Joey was gone. The thing about Slayer is that they've just kept on doing what they do. They've enjoyed success without "selling out" or trying to go mainstream. They've always been my favorite band from that genre and my first listen to Reign in Blood in 1987 was what sold me on heavy music.

I can't say I'm familiar with Nevermore. I've got a buddy who has 5000 CDs (very conservative guesstimate) so I'll ask him if he has any of their work that I can borrow to check out.
    Well, they're a bit newer (started in '91 and been going strong) but, if nothin' else, look around on Youtube for them or something just to get a taste. When I say older metal, I mean older style metal as their best stuff is Dreaming Neon Black (1999), Dead Heart In A Dead World (2000), and This Godless Endeavor (2005).

The one 80's thrash band that got overlooked that was great (when they had Jason Newsted) was Flotsam & Jetsam. If you're unfamiliar, track down their album Doomsday for the Deceiver (1986, IIRC). That is a masterpiece and one of my 3 or 4 favorites from that era.
    Never really gave them much of a listen. I'll have to check 'em out.

For me, Megadeth fell off after Rust, Metallica after Justice, and Anthrax once Joey was gone.
    I completely agree on all fronts (though I still kinda like Anthrax's Sound of White Noise). Metallica is an abomination of their former selves as is Megadeth.

The thing about Slayer is that they've just kept on doing what they do. They've enjoyed success without "selling out" or trying to go mainstream. They've always been my favorite band from that genre and my first listen to Reign in Blood in 1987 was what sold me on heavy music.
    Metallica did that for me with Ride The Lightning. Ever since then, I've been hooked.

That explains why I'm unfamiliar with Nevermore. By 1991, I had moved on to death metal / grindcore with Slayer remaining a guilty pleasure. That old F & J is the closest thing to old Metallica (IMO) that you'll find.

Anyone here play The Witcher for PC?

By 1991
    By 1991, I think I had moved on from Sesame Street soundtracks ...

Well suck, I just noticed that the mini-games were removed this year. And just when I wanted to play one in order to learn a new playbook.

FO_College
    I think I like this formula RT @3YardsandACloud Jacory Harris currently 127th in my "Hayes Rating" for QB decisions http://bit.ly/d6JOEW

FO_College is the Twitter account for the college section of Football Outsiders. Since FO, in part, was the inspiration behind my creation of the Hayes Rating, that was pretty huge to see.