Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Gaming Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I downloaded the Civ 5 demo last night and played a few times. The game is fun and have a few nice additiions over four. I will pick up the gold edition on the steam summer sale and then pick up the newest expansion pack. Apparently it really adds to the end of the game and makes the 20th century on far more enjoyable to play.
    Yeah, the endgame has never been the greatest part of the game. All you can do is research future tech and sit there throwing troops away against equal troops of other nations. It just slows down and you sit there trading bits of land here and there, forced to throw away entire armies or nuke people just to gain the edge.

So definitely looking forward to Brave New World and what it can and will do for the endgame.

You guys have gotten a lot farther than I have on the game, on this one I haven't even gotten that to an end game.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, I've played the hell out of Civ IV and Civ V, so I've experienced the endgame a lot.

And actually, to add to my previous post, there are two ways it has always ended for me.

You and the AI manage to end up equal in troops, and sit there throwing troops away against equal troops of other nations in a nonstop battle of attrition. Brings to mind thoughts of the never ending human meatshields of Russia on the eastern front in World War II. It just slows down and you sit there trading bits of land here and there, forced to throw away entire armies or nuke people just to gain the edge. Most times, the only way to win at that point of a game is actually nuking people. Nuke the hell out of them to gain an edge and let it carry you to a win.

Then there's the second way it has ended for me, and that is I end up jumping out to a large lead over the AI in research and military, thus I can always keep the edge on them through the length of the entire game, so when I reach the endgame, I have armies that are superior by at least a research/advancement generation or two, and have troops by the hundreds of units, as opposed to AI nations that have maybe a couple dozen cavalry to go up against my tanks. So when I hit the endgame, it's just one giant rape-fest as I steamroll every AI in the game on my way to a victory. And generally I can only play with conquest/domination as the method of victory because Science, Technology, Diplomacy and the other ways of victory end up being too easy to achieve and too simple to beat the AI with.

So I'm definitely hoping the additions that are coming in Brave New World will help to expand on the endgame and lead to a better game during that time, help keep it more interesting and make it more complex instead of either steamrolling the AIs or nuking them all to hell to stop the never ending wars of attrition and win the game.

Smooth, reading your post reminds me of Civ III. One night way back when I had an "epic" battle that last over five hours. Both the AI and myself did a war of attrition and at the end one city fell but was recaptured by the AI. For the next few nights it was non stop back and forth war declarations between myself and the AI bit in the end nothing happened. Finally I said forget and began to build the space station in order to win socially/culturally... which I did.

The end game of the Civ series has always been the same so anything that will improve that gets my vote. I look forward to your impressions of Brave New World.

Smooth, reading your post reminds me of Civ III. One night way back when I had an "epic" battle that last over five hours. Both the AI and myself did a war of attrition and at the end one city fell but was recaptured by the AI. For the next few nights it was non stop back and forth war declarations between myself and the AI bit in the end nothing happened. Finally I said forget and began to build the space station in order to win socially/culturally... which I did.

The end game of the Civ series has always been the same so anything that will improve that gets my vote. I look forward to your impressions of Brave New World.
    Exactly.

That is how it keeps ending up for me. I either roll the AI because I'm technologically, and thus militarily, superior to them, or we sit there in a war of attrition sending wave after wave of troops to their deaths as we battle over the same city or same piece of land. When it gets to that point, the only way to win is either do what you did and say to hell with it and go after a cultural victory (or some other victory) or bring out the nukes, blow the world all to hell and then roll the AI because you now possess the military advantage.

While going for the victories through building the space station or winning via vote at the UN are nice and can be a good chance of pace, I've found it to be way too easy to achieve those victories. So I usually settle for a conquest victory as at least that way I have to win on the field of battle instead of winning by having my dozen cities keep pumping out rocket/space station parts.

I still love the Civilization series and will continue to play the hell out of it for years to come, but I definitely hope Brave New World overhauls the endgame years and makes it fresh, fun and different every time you play.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Have you played the game with the Gods and Kings expansion Smooth? It has DRASTICALLY fixed the end game already and Brave New World is going to just add to that even more.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Have you played the game with the Gods and Kings expansion Smooth? It has DRASTICALLY fixed the end game already and Brave New World is going to just add to that even more.
    What makes gods and kings so much better???

What makes gods and kings so much better???
    It adds both religion and espionage mechanics to the game as well as reworking the combat and diplomacy features. It also balanced some of the tech tree stuff and adds lots of interesting playable civilizations. I wouldn't play Civ 5 with it.

I've declared war twice and I'm sure I would've lost, but both countries offered me peace without me giving up anything.

I was reading in the steam forums that Civ 5 has a lot of issues, especially with windows 8. Apparently it is prone to crashing with big maps. Have you guys seen this firsthand???

I was reading in the steam forums that Civ 5 has a lot of issues, especially with windows 8. Apparently it is prone to crashing with big maps. Have you guys seen this firsthand???
    Windows 8 is the problem I suspect. I have played many, many hours with Windows 7 and have had no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I actually haven't played it too much since finally getting Gods and Kings. When I play, I try to do it in one sitting so I usually only play when I have a large number of free hours I can dedicate to it. Since my free time hasn't allowed too much for playing Civ V, I've only gotten to play it sparingly since I got the G&K expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by SCClassof93 View Post
    Windows 8 is the problem I suspect. I have played many, many hours with Windows 7 and have had no problems.
    Yeah, I've played hundreds of hours on Vista and have never had any issues. Windows 8, god only knows what issues it might cause with games.

I have had no problems on windows 7 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    I have had no problems on windows 7 64 bit.
    Same.

Rumours the steam summer sale MAY start tomorrow. Let's hope!

That would be good and bad ...football comes out on tuesday that would hit my summer sale budget

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, I may be sitting out this summer sale. With dropping $60 on Sunday night or Monday morning (whenever Amazon ends up actually charging my card), I'm probably not gonna do much with the summer sale unless it is some seriously ridiculous deal on a game of interest that won't be seen again anytime in the next year.

I'm not sitting it out though!!! LOL I have about 20 games on wishlist I will definitely buy around 10-15 of them. I can overspend now because I get my quarterly bonus at the end of the month so the misses will not be too upset.

Shit mors has been doing some shopping!!

Looks like someone had the wrong info... now the speculation is July 11th. I have also heard some people suggest that Steam may NOT have a sale this year. I really want to pick up CIV V GOLD but its $49.99 plus the new expansion in another $29.99... a little too pricey right now.

Steam will have a sale sometime in the next two weeks. Anyone saying anything else is wrong.