Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Gaming Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    It's an older game but I downloaded Imperium Romanum on Steam. Yeah it's kind of lame but it is basically a city building game with some minor military conflict. Overall I am actually having fun with it. It's a great game to play in between the kids and their naps.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    It's an older game but I downloaded Imperium Romanum on Steam. Yeah it's kind of lame but it is basically a city building game with some minor military conflict. Overall I am actually having fun with it. It's a great game to play in between the kids and their naps.
    Downloading the demo right now. For PC gaming, 2008 ain't all that bad. I still play Rome: Total War and that's from 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Downloading the demo right now. For PC gaming, 2008 ain't all that bad. I still play Rome: Total War and that's from 2004.
    Apparently Grand Ages: Rome is the updated version of Imperium (circa 2009) and had a higher rating. I guess there is more military options as well such as naval. I might download the demo and see. The trailer actually looks ppretty good.

My hard drive and video card are on their way out so I've decided it's time for an upgrade.

Western Digital VelociRaptor 250GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480 1536MB

The HDD will replace my primary disk which seems to be getting bad sectors or something. It's only 150GB, 7200RPM, 8MB Cache (secondary is 1TB) so the new drive is an upgrade in every sense of the word.

The Video card is replacing my GTX 460 768MB because it's failing as well. Awhile back while I had my case open, I dropped a pen with a metal clip that seemed to make contact to two solder points and caused a spark. Since then, I've not been able to run dual-screens without my system crashing.

Both of these should be a significant upgrade to go along with my 16GB RAM that I recently upgraded to as well.

You could get a ~150 GB SSD for about the same price as that 250 GB VelociRaptor. Just thinking out loud.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    You could get a ~150 GB SSD for about the same price as that 250 GB VelociRaptor. Just thinking out loud.
    Right, but everything that I would want to utilize that speed for is either bad for the drive (writing to the drive eventually wears it down) or would be too small to not give me the benefit. Right now all of my video edits are written to my primary (since my captured footage is on my secondary). Writing to the same location as where the media is causes the render time to slow down and writing to an SSD would obviously be fast but only shorten it's life. That said, I've been tinkering around with creating a RAMDisk... seeing as I have that 16GB, I might as well put it to use.

The other use for it would be to store games but right now, I have 315GB worth of games stored on my secondary drive.
    Last edited by gschwendt; 05-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.

FWIW, I've been hearing more and more lately that the write-limit discussion is overblown.

"Intel rates its 160GB X-25M G2 drives with a lifetime of "at least" 5 years even if you write 20GByte per day to them."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    FWIW, I've been hearing more and more lately that the write-limit discussion is overblown.

"Intel rates its 160GB X-25M G2 drives with a lifetime of "at least" 5 years even if you write 20GByte per day to them."
    I imagine my next HD will be a SSD but for now there's too much to be uncertain about.

BTW, those Intel drives, are more than twice as expensive as other SSDs
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003F8KT1O

Yeah, I was just finding info quick Wasn't actually doing research. I just know this isn't the first time I've heard that the write "limits" are being exaggerated. They're a concern for enterprise systems that expect to run hardware for decades, but for your average consumer ...

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Well, for your average consumer, SSDs seem like a bit much anyway. Plus ~$450 for 250gbs is a bit ridiculous. Anything more than $1 a gig is just too much for any type of HD storage.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Well, for your average consumer, SSDs seem like a bit much anyway. Plus ~$450 for 250gbs is a bit ridiculous. Anything more than $1 a gig is just too much for any type of HD storage.
    Pretty much all consumer drives are around that $1 per gig mark. I've been watching them come through on slickdeals & the like consistently under that (though not by much). Still though, SSDs are so new to the market that I couldn't imagine jumping on one as a primary without the plan to replace it in less than 2 years. Obviously time may tell a different story but for now, I'll wait until they decide they've nearly perfected their performance.

Reviving this thing, I came across a discussion elsewhere about a game called Crusader Kings II that came out earlier this year. Anyone play it before? It sounds extremely interesting for me (takes place from around the 1066 through 1453 or so in medieval Europe), and Steam has it for $49.99. I think I'm gonna pick it up on Friday when I get paid.

Reviving this thing, I came across a discussion elsewhere about a game called Crusader Kings II that came out earlier this year. Anyone play it before? It sounds extremely interesting for me (takes place from around the 1066 through 1453 or so in medieval Europe), and Steam has it for $49.99. I think I'm gonna pick it up on Friday when I get paid.
    It is by far the most insanely complex "dynasty simulator" I've ever seen. I tried to play it but it was just overwhelming to me. People are insane about the game (like there's a mod to change the entire game to Song of Ice and Fire land), but, for me, it's so damn complex, I don't think I could ever actually get into it.

Also, you should wait to buy it, the huge Summer Steam sale is on the horizon and I've seen Crusader Kings II on sale before so it's likely that you could get it on sale when that happens.

Supposedly this is the Summer Sale
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...r-sale-leaked/

We don’t have prices yet, but here’s what we might possibly potentially maybe perhaps you never know be in for across the first 11 days of the sale, in terms of bundled packs:
    Day 1: Anomaly Warzone Earth, The Baconing, Cave Story+, EDGE, Lone Survivor.
    Day 2: Botanicula, E.Y.E, Oil Rush, Splice, Universe Sandbox,
    Day 3: Bit Trip Beat, Braid, Bunch of Heroes, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Runespell Overture,
    Day 4: A Valley Without Wind, Atom Zombie Smasher, Blocks that Matter, Sanctum, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP,
    Day 5: Audio Surf, Gemini Rue, Greed Corp, Tiny Bang Story, Ys: The Oath in Felghana
    Day 6: Awesome, Defcon, Space Chem, Ticket to Ride, Trauma
    Day 7: Avadon, Dungeons of Dredmor, Qube, Vessel, Zombie Driver
    Day 8: Demolition Inc, Hoard, Sol Exodus, Swords and Soldiers HD, Wings of Prey,
    Day 9: Capsized, Jamestown, Revenge of the Titans, VVVVVV, Zeno Clash
    Day 10: All Zombies Must Die, Beat Hazard, Bit trip Runner, Eufloria, Machinarium
    Day 11: Hydrophobia, Orion: Dino Beatdown, Star Ruler, Waveform, World of Goo

Then ALLEGEDLY ALRIGHT ALLEGEDLY we’ll also be seeing this stuff go through the atom price-smasher:
    1C Collection Pack
    Adam’s Venture Complete Bundle Retail
    Anno 2070 Pack
    Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City and Batman Gotham City Imposters Bundle
    Bethesda Collection (BRINK, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim, Hunted)
    Bioshock Franchise Pack
    BIT.TRIP.BEAT Bundle
    BIT.TRIP.RUNNER Bundle
    Carpe Fulger Bundle (Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale, Chantelise, Fortune Summoners)
    Civilization Collection
    Command and Conquer Franchise
    Dawn of War Franchise Pack
    Dead Island Complete
    Duke Nukem Bundle
    Foreign Legion Bundle
    Kalypso Collection (Tropico, Jagged Alliance, Airline Tycoon, etc)
    Majesty Franchise
    Paradox Collection (Magicka + dlcs, Mount and Blade, etc)
    Pendulo Adventure Pack
    Railworks 3 – Summer Sale Collection
    Red Orchestra Franchise Pack (ROW)
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Bundle
    Saints Row: The Third Franchise Pack
    Sniper Elite Franchise Pack
    Square Hit Collection (Hitman, Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Quantum Conundrum, Thief)
    Stardock Collection Pack
    Strategy First Complete Pack
    Sword of the Stars Franchise
    THQ Collection (Dawn of War, Warhammer, Stalker, Nexuiz, Darksiders, Metro 2033, etc)
    Total War: Shogun 2 Pack
    Victoria Franchise
    Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Pack
    Wings of Prey

Also, to add to this, I recently got back into Terraria (gameplay trailer below). I hadn't played it since it's original iteration, but it's been updated to include a Hard Mode, numerous other bosses, and SO much more shit to build. Yes, it's kinda like Minecraft but 2d instead of 3d, but it's WAY better than Minecraft because there's actually an end to the game, bosses to kill, and just WAY more interesting stuff to build and have fun with. I've only put in about 16 hours or so, but I have people on my friend's list that have put 100+ hours into it easily.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    God, I hope some of that is correct because there are about 20 games on that list that I REALLY want to buy, though I'm disappointed to see that only one of the Ys games are on the list (supposedly the other one - Ys Origin - is a better game).

Smooth, if you don't have this game, you MUST get it as it's right up your alley (Civ in space):

Endless Space

A BORN LEADER

• Guide one of eight civilizations as you strive for galactic domination.
    • Control the entire galaxy through subtle trade and diplomacy.
    • Explore every corner of the universe to find powerful artifacts and resources.
    • Overwhelm other civilizations with your advanced technologies.
    • Destroy your enemies with massive armadas.

ENDLESS DISCOVERIES

• Explore hundreds of star systems and master the mysteries beneath the Dust.
    • Exploit different planet types, luxuries and strategic resources.
    • Confront a host of strange scientific phenomena.
    • Hire heroes to become fleet admirals or system governors.
    • Discover five hero classes and their unique ability trees and specializations.

SPACE OPERA

• Experience Endless Space with state-of-the-art graphics and interface.
    • Switch between strategic battle decisions and long-term planning.
    • Optimize each fleet for epic battles around contested stars.
    • Create the perfect combinations from dozens of unique ships per civilization.
    • Customize your ships with modules, armament, engines and special mods.

TAKE ON THE UNIVERSE

• Play against up to seven opponents and build up - or break - alliances at will.
    • Discover an innovative and dynamic simultaneous turn-based gameplay.
    • Permit instant jump-in for your ongoing online games.
    • Define your own custom civilizations and confront the ones created by your friends.

ENDLESS REPLAYABILITY

• Control every new game's scope, from a quick match-up to an endless war.
    • Generate an infinity of galaxies where every start begins a new adventure.
    • Modify the size, shape, density, age and a lot more to create your ideal galaxy.
    • Choose from different victory conditions and adapt your strategy on the fly.

CREATING GAMES2GETHER

• Track the dev team's objectives, progress and achievements.
    • Participate in the creation of the game via the GAMES2GETHER initiative.
    • Access early versions of the game and give your feedback to the dev team.
    • Discuss actual and future features and expansions with the dev team.

Trailer:

Gameplay:

Combat Gameplay:

Sweet. That definitely looks interesting. What are the system requirements? For a new game like that, I'm not sure if my laptop could handle it. I really need to get around to building a gaming dedicated desktop rig sometime, just haven't had the money to do so.

In a PC gaming related comment, I'm almost sort of glad I'm not going to be able to reboot my coaching carousel career dynasty right away on NCAA '13 (between dynasty mode bugs, waiting for sliders, still needing to finish naming OC and DC coaches), because after spending all afternoon and evening yesterday reading about Crusader Kings II while watching The Walking Dead, I have a SERIOUS itch to play some strategy games right now. I just can't decide which. I want to get back into Civilization and whoop some ass, but at the same time, I want to whoop some European ass in Empire: Total War which I haven't played in well over a year, but yet, I never got a chance to play much of Shogun 2 and get very deep into it, so I really want to play that, and but yet again, I also want to get back into Rome: Total War and finish whooping Brittania's ass, and try my luck at defeat my brethren (Brutii and Scipiones) and try to take down S.P.Q.R. and overthrow Rome.

So much I want to do at once. Damn these tough decisions.

Sweet. That definitely looks interesting. What are the system requirements? For a new game like that, I'm not sure if my laptop could handle it. I really need to get around to building a gaming dedicated desktop rig sometime, just haven't had the money to do so.
    It's a little high, but it's definitely not bad. Haven't had a chance to play any yet (just finished downloading it last night before I had to hit the sack), but I'm looking forward to blowing 3-4 hours on it after work today.

Minimum System Requirements
    * CPU: Core 2 Duo Processor or Equivalent
    * RAM: 2 GB
    * HDD: 2 GB free disk space
    * Graphics: 256 MB Graphics Memory
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9

Recommended System Requirements
    * CPU: Core i5/i7 or equivalent
    * RAM: 2 GB
    * HDD: 2 GB free disk space
    * Graphics: 512 MB Graphics Memory
    * Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
    * DirectX: Version 9

Last edited by morsdraconis; 07-10-2012 at 05:04 AM.