Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Gaming Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display

PC Gaming Discussion

I know the PC gamers here are few and far between but there are a few of us so why not have a thread.

To kick off... a new Source mod game was just recently released:
    No More Room in Hell
    I'm installing it now but it's an 8-player co-op which sounds like a mix between Left 4 Dead (without the versus) and Dead Island. The interesting aspects are that if you fire your gun, you'll draw more attention to yourself. As well, you have limited sprint capability and finally if you get bitten too much, you'll turn into a zombie; not sure what happens in co-op but a single player video I saw, it just restarts you.

Looks really interesting and one of the bigger reasons why PC games are better... this is absolutely free. All you have to have is a copy of Half-Life 2 or any other Source-based game.

I'm moving to PC for my first time ever .I have been a console guy.But since I travel and move ever 6 months this is the best solution for me for FPS games online.I'm trying to get DC Universe done downloaded but it is stuck at 12.1gb .I'll download that game once DC is done.I love free games!

The dude on the left looks like Walter from The Big Lebowski

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The dude on the left looks like Walter from The Big Lebowski
    Yeah, I immediately thought of you when I saw that.

So I played around a little bit... looks like it doesn't level the game based on number of people so the difficulty is the same whether you have 8 or 1. However, you almost have to have more than 1 because there are areas where it gets really dark and it appears to work best when one has a flashlight lit on the area while others have weapons at the ready. I'm also having difficulty figuring out how to complete certain missions... they have multiple missions per map that you have to complete and it varies those missions from playthrough to playthrough.

So far it's a pretty good little game (for free mind you) but I think it needs to have a system that adjusts the difficulty.

Humble Bundle has a new indie game bundle
    http://www.humblebundle.com/

As well, a "competitor" has started doing indie bundles and has their second one up now.
    http://www.indieroyale.com/

For anyone not familiar... for both of these, you set your own price and get a bundle of games. For the Humble Bundle, you can pay as little as $.01 or as much as you wish... proceeds go towards the developers as well as charities. For the Indie Royale, the earlier you are on the deal, the lower the required price is (right now it's $3.43), but you can always choose to pay as much as you want, which could lower the price for everyone else.

Pretty good deal for anyone that doesn't have a high-grade PC and wants some indie titles and also contribute to a good cause. Over the past couple of years I've gotten some really good games out of these deals... usually most are throw-aways but just about everytime I've found at least one game that I really enjoy.

I got the Gamefly PC beta program and am greatly disappointed. I guess I had unrealistic expectations that it would allow you to play current or nearly current PC games included with the subscription fee but turns out they're not really current at all. The most popular game right now is Assassin's Creed... Assassin's Creed 1. Saints Row 2 is followed behind it. I don't recognize any of the games that were released in 2011 except some Sam & Max game.

Really disappointing but like I said, I guess it was unrealistic to expect otherwise. That said, it looks like you can purchase new games, but why would I want that when I already have Steam. Unless you're going to greatly undercut Steam or have some exclusive titles that I can't get on Steam, there's no reason for me to go anywhere else.

All that said, I have an extra beta code if someone would want it, but obviously you'll need to be a PC gamer and also pointless unless you already have a Gamefly subscription (which I don't but would have with decent titles).

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Yeah. There's just no way that any place is going to get my away from Steam. Steam, with their sales, just KILLS on PC game sales. I can't remember where I read it, but if a game publisher is selling a game on Steam, they actually end up almost always doubling their sales to date by putting their game on sale on Steam.

I pretty much have all the programs installed and I ONLY buy PC games on sale.

I think I bought Civ V because I was so ready to play it and I shit you not like two weeks later it was 30% off, three weeks after that it was 50% off absolutely pissed me off.

I always had that rule but not its more like a fucking testament in my mind, no PC game buys unless its on sale, the cool thing about PC games sales is if one provider puts it on sale, you can bet another one is on the way its amazing.

Steam is the best though with the overall sales, but origin cuts better deals on some of the older EA products because its their shit.

I really need to finish my PC build though, I have been so obsessed with restoring me a car (buying the car) and I still haven't had any money do the car or PC because of fucking kids. DAMN THEM

Anyone played Sid Meiers RAILROADS. I downloaded the demo and it was kind of fun but I'm not sure if I want to drop $50 on it. I do love his CIV series though.

Has anyone ever played Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark? It's something I've had my eye on in the past, and it's dropped down to $19.99 on Steam, so it's tempting to pick it up.

Nope, never played it Smooth, but anyone that likes Rogue-likes at all needs to check out this game:

It's REALLY hard but god damn is it fun.

Any Civilization fans out there, Steam was having a weekend sale on 2K games this weekend and a day-long sale during Sunday on Civilization V. It still has 12 hours left on the sale, you can get vanilla Civ V for $7.49 and Civ 5 GotY edition for $12.49, both 75% Steam retail price. All DLC for Civ 5 is 75% off as well.

Civ 5 sucks... Civ 4 is WAY better. Civ 5 dumbed shit down.

I occasionally go through a Civ phase where I'll play the hell out of 4 for a while and then get bored of it again. Just did it recently but played 5 instead of 4 and I was HIGHLY disappointing with it. While 5 is definitely prettier than 4, it's very much dumbed down and it's quite disappointing considering how complex Civ 4 was.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Civ 5 sucks... Civ 4 is WAY better. Civ 5 dumbed shit down.

I occasionally go through a Civ phase where I'll play the hell out of 4 for a while and then get bored of it again. Just did it recently but played 5 instead of 4 and I was HIGHLY disappointing with it. While 5 is definitely prettier than 4, it's very much dumbed down and it's quite disappointing considering how complex Civ 4 was.
    Yeah, I have 5 on my PC, but 4 is definitely more fun. And the shit ton of mods out there for 4 keeps it fun. But, if there was or is someone who was looking at getting Civ 5 sometime, can't beat 75% off the price. May as well get it for cheap as well if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, I have 5 on my PC, but 4 is definitely more fun. And the shit ton of mods out there for 4 keeps it fun. But, if there was or is someone who was looking at getting Civ 5 sometime, can't beat 75% off the price. May as well get it for cheap as well if you want it.
    If my VISTA based desktop weren't acting up every other day I would be all over this. I still remember the good old days of playing Civ II for upwards of ten hours during those epic battles that would take all night. I also used to love the Civ on PS2. Revolution on PS3 had such potential but overall it's just too simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    If my VISTA based desktop weren't acting up every other day I would be all over this. I still remember the good old days of playing Civ II for upwards of ten hours during those epic battles that would take all night. I also used to love the Civ on PS2. Revolution on PS3 had such potential but overall it's just too simplistic.
    Yep, I can't even begin to count the hours I have spent over the years on Civ. I spent a TON of hours of Civ III when it first came out, then jump on Civ IV first thing. Civ IV is still a blast to play. Civ V I personally don't mind. Yeah, some of the changes they made are detrimental to the game, but I still find enjoyment out of it. I agree about Civ Revolution. I got it for 360 for cheap at GameStop a year or two ago, and still have it, but damn that was sort of a disappointment. Way to simplistic and small. Obviously there's only so much you can do with a game like Civ on a console (with the various limitations vs. that of a computer), but even the battles were just completely underwhelming because there was only so much you could do.

Strategy games like that are definitely #1 for me though when it comes to PC games. Civ III, Civ IV (with Warlords and Beyond The Sword expansions), Civ V, Rome: Total War - Gold Edition, Medeval II: Total War (with Kingdoms expansion), Empire: Total War, Napoleon: Total War, Total War: Shogun 2, Supreme Ruler 2020: Gold., R.U.S.E., Wargame: European Escalation, World in Conflict (with Soviet Assault expansion), I can't get enough of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Wargame: European Escalation,
    How is this game? I have been debating about it getting it for awhile now its been betwen this and Age of Empires Complete. Basically waiting until one goes on sale first. lol

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    How is this game? I have been debating about it getting it for awhile now its been betwen this and Age of Empires Complete. Basically waiting until one goes on sale first. lol
    I've been having fun with it. If you've played something like R.U.S.E. before, it's very different, more straight up combat, using actual tactics and strategies to win battle, but fun. I've only played a couple campaign missions so far, but have been doing a bunch of skirmishes against the CPU. It's fun to try different strategies.

One game I went with the Warsaw Pact and had like 80% Russian infantry, with some armor and artillery thrown in, keeping with the stereotypical and horribly wrong image of human wave assaults by the Russian troops. Another I played as NATO and had heavy on armor, with some artillery and helicopter backup, and just steamroll over individual or small groups of units that I find out in the field away from their base and other units.

It's gonna take some strategic thinking and planning of your resources, troop numbers and troop placements, and then plan of attack to win battles in it, you're not going to just roll right over someone or blitz someone in the first minute of the game and catch them with their pants down. So I've been enjoying it.