Page 48 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerhouse OD - General Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Nah, that should be fine. I figure my dad'll be crashing around 10pm eastern most of the nights they're here, so we should be able to find time either way.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Arg if we have to lose why cant it be by 10+

I feel your pain FSU, but right now I'm flying high after JoePa's 400 win last night. I took the son to the game and he hung tough all day/night till after the JoePa speech, but I want to hear Eric's take on yesterday's afternoon, LMFAO. What a day, LOL

I've got two words: Texas Longhorns

We are on the verge of a historic collapse in terms of teams coming off a #2 finish/losing in the NC game...

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2...is-not-normal/

Let’s be frank about how bad the fall of the 2010 Texas Longhorns really is.

I am not going to make any comment about the team, its two deep, its talent, or development. I will also reserve judgment for now on how atrocious it is to put up a (likely) losing record against one of the weakest schedules that Texas has ever played. And I’m not going to reflect on how bad the losses have been, as this team has been blown out repeatedly by multiple scores.

Let’s just keep it simple and talk about wins and losses.

All I want to focus on is a simple premise: is it common for a team that is nine months removed from playing for a national title to have fallen this far?

The natural answer, whether it be from an angry Texas fan or a casual observer of college football, would be — um, no.

But why leave this observation ambiguous; let’s see if history has proven it out.

74 DATA POINTS IN THE AP POLL

Let’s begin with the formal question: how have previous runners-up (2nd place finishers) in college football performed in their very next season? Bearing in mind college football has historically had a haphazard way of selecting its national champion (especially pre-BCS), the easiest way to try and answer this question systematically is to look at the teams that finish each season in the #2 slot.

Because the AP poll, by far, has the longest track record, I compiled all of the #2 finishers from 1936 to 2009 (Texas was #2 in ’09). I then compiled the winning percentage (giving half a victory for ties) for the #2 finishers in their immediate subsequent season. For instance, 2005 USC (#2 AP) went 11-2 in 2006.

THE OUTPUT

If Texas fails to defeat either Oklahoma State or Texas A&M (which most would put decent odds on at this stage), their 5-7 record (0.417 winning percentage) would be the 70th worst performance out of 74 runners-up since 1936.

It would be the worst finish (and only sub-0.500 record) among #2 teams since Arizona State went 4-7 in 1976.

Michigan State and two service academies (Army/Navy) are the only other instances, and those happened about half a century ago.

The only “modern” comparison would be 1998/99 Ohio State, which went 6-6 in 1999 after an 11-1 season where Ohio State’s national title aspirations were thwarted by Michigan State. This is not a clean comparison, because a) Ohio State did not end up with a losing record in 1999, and b) Ohio State did not play in the national title game in 1998 (Tennessee beat Florida State). Also note that John Cooper was fired one season later (after going 8-4 in 2000).

By the way, the 74-year average (or “normal”) winning percentage has been 0.770 (about 9-3).

THE CONCLUSION

Barring a major recovery to the season where Texas can stun either the Cowboys or Aggies and win a bowl game, this particular collapse of a #2 team is of historic proportions. It is not normal to fall this far this fast. It suggests this is not a normal “cyclical” retrenchment, but something far more serious.

Yea I'm sure this is one painful season to watch football for you guys, we've all been there though at one point or another so just know it doesn't last long.

The only “modern” comparison would be 1998/99 Ohio State, which went 6-6 in 1999 after an 11-1 season where Ohio State’s national title aspirations were thwarted by Michigan State. This is not a clean comparison, because a) Ohio State did not end up with a losing record in 1999, and b) Ohio State did not play in the national title game in 1998 (Tennessee beat Florida State). Also note that John Cooper was fired one season later (after going 8-4 in 2000).
    That's actually a more decent comparison that the blog editor gave it credit for. The 1999 Buckeyes lost a lot of talent to graduation in 1998, much like Texas lost last year. Joe Germaine graduated in 1998, much like Colt McCoy graduated in 2009.

Though at least Garrett Gilbert is a quarterback ... we didn't have one in 1999.
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 11-07-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    I feel your pain FSU, but right now I'm flying high after JoePa's 400 win last night. I took the son to the game and he hung tough all day/night till after the JoePa speech, but I want to hear Eric's take on yesterday's afternoon, LMFAO. What a day, LOL
    All I can say about it is that it was definitely a first for our tailgate. Any time you can get a 40 year old to take her shirt off it's a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    All I can say about it is that it was definitely a first for our tailgate. Any time you can get a 40 year old to take her shirt off it's a good day.
    40-year old...why not go for a great day and get a 20-year old to do it.

they are in pennsylvania not texas or florida

Very true...

LOL PA isn't Texas or Florida that is for sure. Fun fun day though overall. Wish my friends hadn't jumped ship and bolted on the team though, just when PSU starts to show some leadership. Not saying this weeks game will be close, but PSU is really growing up a little bit these last couple of weeks.

Jeff you have no worries that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    Jeff you have no worries that is for sure.
    Yeah, if it was in Happy Valley I might be concerned ... and that walk-on you have is surprisingly impressive. But overall, no worries from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    40-year old...why not go for a great day and get a 20-year old to do it.
    The 20 year olds stay away from the creepy old guys.

I'm sure it was cold outside when that shirt came off....that has to count for something....

Quote Originally Posted by Papa LoneStar View Post
    I'm sure it was cold outside when that shirt came off....that has to count for something....
    Let's just say you probably could have cut glass with those things. I don't think the cold shot glass between them helped either.

Nice.

Our tailgate doesn't pull in many 20yr old's seeing how all but one is married and the ONE that isn't isn't a gamer. Back to back weeks we had him lined up and he bailed. He has been getting jabs all day via emails and I don't see them letting up in this century that is for sure. Oh and it's not Eric either, another friend. Heck my son got booted from the RV for this show, 40 degree weather and this friend has my 4 yr old out in the cold and he didn't step up and do the "right thing"

haha, still sounds like u all are a lot of fun before the game!

LOL never a dull moment that is for sure. Our 7 weekend a year is something that I'm sure we all look forward to. This MSU game upcoming is going to be all out nuts because thus far this year I don't know that I've gotten plowed yet and I'm due for a bender. Might be a ride up in the RV for Snoop in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fsuprime View Post
    haha, still sounds like u all are a lot of fun before the game!
    We definitely try and relive our youth during tailgates.