Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Kill Switch

• Facebook
  • Display
    Kill the damn internet if we are under attack, or for all I care even if the internet is the casuing wide spread paranoia during a crisis. Its the damn internet, I think we can go without it for quite awhile.

I feel old that I even remember when there was no internet. Its not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    I feel old that I even remember when there was no internet. Its not the end of the world.
    I feel old enough to remember when AOL was actually a huge thing. The first month we got it, it was on dial-up but the only number that we could dial was long distance. When my parents told me they wanted to talk to me about the phone bill, I was worried that it would have a list of all of the sites I had visited. Thankfully they were just mad at me because I ran up a $400 long distance bill. Needless to say we didn't have the internet for very long at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I feel old enough to remember when AOL was actually a huge thing. The first month we got it, it was on dial-up but the only number that we could dial was long distance. When my parents told me they wanted to talk to me about the phone bill, I was worried that it would have a list of all of the sites I had visited. Thankfully they were just mad at me because I ran up a $400 long distance bill. Needless to say we didn't have the internet for very long at that point.
    HA HA where I stayed there was only one number and it didn't work at times, so I also dialed the long distance one and got into trouble, AOL was what like 30.00/month and it was utter shit, I mean you either had the have the best patience in the world or you truly didn't have a life. Chat Rooms were the only sites that moved fast, or certain light websites like the encyclopedia site.

The internet was so questionable that you still played outside more than you fucked off on the net. Weird how that has changed now, as a kid I wouldn't want to be in the house all day.

Ah, the good old days. Darn kids don't know how good they have it nowadays.

Haha ah I remember those AOL days

I remember the days of A-O-Hell when you'd get a busy tone for nearly an hour. One time I was on the phone with a friend of mine while I was waiting to sign in ... when I got on, he instantly IM'd me, and stopped the sign in process (unintentionally). I don't think I've ever been more pissed about something realistically insignificant.

AOL 1.0 is also the origin of my JeffHCross username. Been using it ever since.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

AOL can kiss my ass. They were horrible to try to cancel after the 'free trial'. I don't recall how long it took (< 3 months) before I finally was able to get rid of those bastards. Normally I'm pretty cool with phone operators since I was a telemarketer during college, but I actually had to blow a gasket to get anywhere with them. Worse experience in my life was dealing with them.

One of my current bosses is a former AOL employee. I have to hold back from screaming at him about stuff like that.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

I love how a thread about the internet kill switch has morphed into reminiscing and general bitching about AOL.