57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like it as is

3 5.26%
  • Needs some tweaks

30 52.63%
  • Want a new system

24 42.11%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting in NCAA 13 - What would you like to see?

• Facebook
  • Display
    hmmm....interesting idea. i dont think it should be limited at 5, but that was probably a random number you threw out. and thinking about it further, requesting game film could be that first step in getting him interested in your school if he isnt already, and also start the actual scouting process. maybe periodically thoughout the year, you can request more game film, which could further his interest in your school, as well as provide "updated" ratings that were scouted?

ya, that could work....

I'm hesitant to agree with the game film for two reasons. 1) That was a major part of 2k's recruiting, so I don't like even the perception that EA might be 'copying'; 2) I struggle to believe that coaches actually request game film on recruits. Seems like every recruit, even 's have services now to spam out their game film to prospective schools. Plus, like I said in my post (and yes, 5 was a random number, though I'd prefer it small, like 5-10), I would want Juniors to be as simple as possible and not add a time-sink to recruiting. One of my major pet-peeves in CH2k was having to take the time to go to each recruit and request game film, and you had to remember to do it every week, or else I'd be behind my competitors. I don't like busy work, especially in gaming.

That said, I think we're both headed down the right path ... the particulars are difficult.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

i never played ch2k so i have no clue as how they did it or the frustrations involved.

i dont know if one of us is getting caught up on another's idea, whether is just my own perception or yours with college hoops, but you wouldnt be abe to recruit juniors. so all you'd have to do every week, would be to have your coordinators unlock ratings (future idea comes to mind). maybe the highlight film/game film comes as an option that pops up every 3-5 weeks. idk....but imo, the people who do their homework should be the most successful. i dont think you would have to save some alotment of time every week; i think you could still get a fairly good idea of the recruit, even if you started scouting him in week 8 (as most likely the first half of the season, you'd be recruiting the seniors like mad).

i think that big pet peeve of yours wouldnt really transfer over, since you're not actually recruiting the junior, and all you're really doing is fighting for a spot in his top 10. obviously the goal would be to get to his #1 top school, but it wouldnt be a hugely bad thing if you started his senior year as his #6 school.

its good that we're bouncing ideas off of each other. hopefully someone from ea is reading this and goes, "(snaps fingers) these guys are on to something." lol

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    i dont think you would have to save some alotment of time every week
    Right. I'm talking about real time, not in-game. The way CH2k worked, you ended up spending almost (or more) time scouting and "recruiting" (though, similarly, you weren't really recruiting them) on Juniors and other underclassmen as you did on Seniors. So that's why my emphasis is on simple and short.

You're right that game film wouldn't be every week. In fact, I think it was a one-time only thing. But there were some things that were every week, even for juniors. It just got to be tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Right. I'm talking about real time, not in-game.
    oh, i was talking about in-game time. in order to do anything with the junior, it would have to be a part of your weekly 10 hours. idk.

been a while since i did a recruiting table, but here's another breakdown of the recruiting figures. from my offline dynasty in the year 2018.

some things to note:

out of the top 20 recruits, only 3 would have been anything besides a wr/hb

at one point, there were 8 straight 5* receivers

there were only balanced and possession type 5* receivers. no 5* speed receivers.

only the state of texas produced more than 2 5* players and had more 5*'s than california, florida, and ohio combined. (TX 7, CA 2, FL 2, OH 2)

pennsylvania, georgia, louisiana, and mississippi were the only other states producing 2 5* players.
    Last edited by baseballplyrmvp; 05-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.

^^^ This is an issue I noticed quite a bit. In my dynasties, online and offline, I noticed an extremely unrealistic amount of 5 star skill position guys on offense. I guess this was to make some of the 5 stars seem like busts. Either way, 16 or so 5 star WR's is something you would never see in real life.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    According to the breakdown by Scout, there have been several seasons since 2002 that there have been 8+ WRs available to be recruited. Granted, some of those players were junior college players, but, still, there was even a year when there where 12 WRs were available to be recruited in 2008 so it does happen but it definitely seems to happen to often in the game compared to real life (7 years from 2002 to 2012 where there were 8+ WRs available and out of those 7 years, 4 of them had 10+ WRs).

The main problem is the amount of players that don't fail to live up to their hype. Hopefully that's fixed with this year's changes to recruiting and the dynamic grades.
    Last edited by morsdraconis; 05-10-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    According to the breakdown by Scout, there have been several seasons since 2002 that there have been 8+ WRs available to be recruited. Granted, some of those players were junior college players, but, still, there was even a year when there where 12 WRs were available to be recruited in 2008 so it does happen but it definitely seems to happen to often in the game compared to real life (7 years from 2002 to 2012 where there were 8+ WRs available and out of those 7 years, 4 of them had 10+ WRs).

The main problem is the amount of players that don't fail to live up to their hype. Hopefully that's fixed with this year's changes to recruiting and the dynamic grades.
    While you make a good point, the websites around the internet vary to great extent when it comes to recruiting. Usually, I feel like scout overrates a lot of players. I am not biased either way, but according to rivals, from 2002-2012, the most 5 star WR's in one class was SIX. Those 6 5 star WR's came in 2008 with WR's such as Julio Jones and AJ Green. So, that is a HUGE difference from the 8-12 that are on scout. Even then, 16 5 star WR's is a bit overboard.

Another thing I'd like to point out is the fact that I do not think I have ever seen one 5 star JUCO on the game. All of your JUCO players are 3 stars and below, usually. However, I do agree with you that it happens far too often in the game. I also agree with you that most of those 5 star guys do not live up to their star rating. Most of the guys should be bumped down to 4 stars or even 3 stars. I know they have had hidden potentials in previous years, but 16 5 stars is still quite a bit too much.

i dont want to sound critical, because its good that the community is coming up with stuff thats closer to real life than what is currently reflected in the game.......but since weight isnt a part of the game, why take the time to change anything related to it?

if we were told that a momentum was going to start playing a far larger role in all aspects of gameplay in future games of the series, i'd be fine with them making changes to reflect weight more accurately. but since weight hardly matters at all, this idea shouldnt be any higher on the list of priorities than the typical sock, facemask, other equipment additions that make it into the game. i know thats a gameplay vs art team argument, but weight, currently, doesnt have any affect on the game. its really only there for asthetic reasons.

i dont want to sound critical, because its good that the community is coming up with stuff thats closer to real life than what is currently reflected in the game.......but since weight isnt a part of the game, why take the time to change anything related to it?
    When community members put in the grunt work effort (as seems to be the case here), it's a lot easier to make a quick change (and this should have been a relatively quick change).

should there be a slightly larger reward for successfully swaying a pitch? either flat point total or percentage based depending on swaying from what to what?

i know its too late for 13, but just throwin an idea out there......

for the recruiting pitches, what if they switched it from letter grades, in which there are only 8 currently, to ranking everyone on a 1-10 system? maybe even having it include decimals (like 's Pro Potential rating could be like a 9.9 whereas 's would be like a 1.1)?

this would help separate schools even more, as there are now 100 or so "grades" instead of only 8. it could work exactly as to how the current system works; the only difference would be that there are more levels available to be graded at.

anyone else agree?

i know its too late for 13, but just throwin an idea out there......

for the recruiting pitches, what if they switched it from letter grades, in which there are only 8 currently, to ranking everyone on a 1-10 system? maybe even having it include decimals (like 's Pro Potential rating could be like a 9.9 whereas 's would be like a 1.1)?

this would help separate schools even more, as there are now 100 or so "grades" instead of only 8. it could work exactly as to how the current system works; the only difference would be that there are more levels available to be graded at.

anyone else agree?
    It would be interesting it so. I'd be interested in seeing a potential change like that.

I'm not against any changes to the current recruiting system especially if it helps seperate the big boys from the rest of the pack. However it still would have to allow for those one or two program changers to come to my small school at the start of a Dynasty. I think returning control over the phone call back to the User will be the best part for me since I hated the slot machine with a passion. I think with the new recruiting pitches and the fact that most pitches are dynamic will only help add life to recruiting, plus having to scout prospects in 13' will make a difference. I believe all these changes will make recruiting in the game a significant upgrade over the last couple years.

They'd have to change how the point values work, but that could certainly be done. One concern IMO would be how complicated it would appear to a casual player.

They'd have to change how the point values work, but that could certainly be done. One concern IMO would be how complicated it would appear to a casual player.
    Now that you mention it, that would be a potential issue. I didn't think about that last night, and with the game becoming more and more in-depth, various controls, etc, it's getting to the point of almost impossible for a brand new player to the series to pick up a controller and play it, it could eventually reach the point that some of the more casual, maybe buy every other year or couples years, players will start to become a bit alienated with some massive changes or additions that aren't really well explained.

Since manuals no longer exist in game cases these days (I remember the old PS1 days when I bought the Final Fantasy games, those things came with manuals in them as large as 60-70 pages), it's up to the company to put an in-depth and well explaining tutorial in the game, which some companies seem to completely ignore or just put the basics in, but leave the users to fend for themselves regarding the in-depth stuff.

hell, i could do that myself. lol.......with help from all of you guys.

hell, i could do that myself. lol.......with help from all of you guys.
    Well, yeah. That was less for the effort, and more for "I don't know how long that would take". I don't know enough about how the current system is coded to know how it would have to change.