Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Why Miami is in Trouble

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    You are not paying a sport you are paying a player. All players are under NCAA rules and regulations, to even think this could be done (paying only players who play sports that make money) is to ignore US Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."
    red tape bullshit...just like a job, the sport that generates the most, gets the most, plain and simple..and it wouldnt be that much anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    and it wouldnt be that much anyway
    Pretty generic reply. It is not like you are having to pay for any of it. Unless you are an alumni, attend games, buy collegiate clothing, NCAA branded video games, etc. When costs go up someone has to foot the bill and it won't be the University or the Players.

So let's have some fun with math and just toy with the figures.

120 schools * 85 = so roughly 10,000 athletes assuming we are only paying football players. Football is a year round sports with training, etc. So lets go with the lowest figure we can use ($7.25 minimum wage) and estimate they spend 3 hours a day on football and pay them for 7 days a week.

$7.25 * 3 hours = 21.75 a day
    365 days * $21.75 = $7938.75 a year per football player
    10,000 athletes * $7938.75 = $79,387,500 a year the colleges would have to pay out.

What about players on scholarships that do not play? Do we have incentive bonuses for players who start? Is it fair to play a star QB a mere $8K a year when some scrub is making that sitting on the bench? Should a QB or RB make more money than say and RT because their name makes more money for the school? What about kickers and punters, need I say more? Then we have to get to injuries. If a person is not on the field they are making nothing for the school. Should they not be paid for time they are not working out, lifting weights and playing in games?

Have fun with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    You can't tell me that schools don't know that these coaches, athletic directors, and boosters aren't doing this shit cause every time this shit comes out, almost everyone immediately says, "Well, duh, they're a big time program; of course they're doing this, they all do it."
    Only the cynics immediately say "Well, duh, they're a big time program". Plenty of people are oblivious (hell, half of any fan base that's accused seems to think that somebody "has it out for them," they're so oblivious). And there's a big difference between "it wouldn't surprise me" (which is what your latter statement really is) and "I know this is happening".

Would it surprise me that any co-workers I've had over the years have falsified a time card so they could get a little extra pay? No. Do I know anybody that did? Also no.
    red tape bullshit
    Doesn't matter, at all, if you think it's bullshit or not. It's the law, and any school found to be violating that (especially blatantly) would be in a ton of trouble.
    Football is a year round sports with training, etc.
    IIRC, players are permitted to get jobs during the offseason, or at least during the summer. So it wouldn't be quite year-round. But for the sake of your example, might as well consider it year-round (since you're obviously generalizing).
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-17-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Pretty generic reply. It is not like you are having to pay for any of it. Unless you are an alumni, attend games, buy collegiate clothing, NCAA branded video games, etc. When costs go up someone has to foot the bill and it won't be the University or the Players.

So let's have some fun with math and just toy with the figures.

120 schools * 85 = so roughly 10,000 athletes assuming we are only paying football players. Football is a year round sports with training, etc. So lets go with the lowest figure we can use ($7.25 minimum wage) and estimate they spend 3 hours a day on football and pay them for 7 days a week.

$7.25 * 3 hours = 21.75 a day
    365 days * $21.75 = $7938.75 a year per football player
    10,000 athletes * $7938.75 = $79,387,500 a year the colleges would have to pay out.

What about players on scholarships that do not play? Do we have incentive bonuses for players who start? Is it fair to play a star QB a mere $8K a year when some scrub is making that sitting on the bench? Should a QB or RB make more money than say and RT because their name makes more money for the school? What about kickers and punters, need I say more? Then we have to get to injuries. If a person is not on the field they are making nothing for the school. Should they not be paid for time they are not working out, lifting weights and playing in games?

Have fun with all that.
    you assume too much..it wouldnt be 120 schools only the top conferences that actually generate income...NIU and Wyoming wont be paying crap..only maybe the top 40 schools..or a sliding scale if the lower schools get anything

you assume too much..it wouldnt be 120 schools only the top conferences that actually generate income...NIU and Wyoming wont be paying crap..only maybe the top 40 schools..or a sliding scale if the lower schools get anything
    Again, would never happen and would never stand up in court. Same thing as your previous thought, hello lawsuits.

There are not enough emoticons to insert in my reply... but I shall try.

Errors
    The following errors occurred with your submission

You have included a total of 5,806 images and/or videos in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 300. Please correct the problem and then continue again.

Errors
    The following errors occurred with your submission

You have included a total of 5,806 images and/or videos in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 300. Please correct the problem and then continue again.

Your post caused my browser to fail.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Your post caused my browser to fail.
    I think your browser was trying to do you a favor and prevent you from seeing any further posts on this subject by RAM29.

Too

:fpfp::fpfp:

Errors
    The following total of 5,806 images and/or videos in your message. The maximum number that you may include is 300. Please correct the problem and then continue again.

LOL all I did was paint a possibility thats no less ridiculous than any other and of course none of it will ever happen.

your figures mean nothing..if they did pay it would be a glorified allowance anyway. But they do generate income for the schools and the NCAA should change rules for players to get money in some legal fashion..why would the legal system need to be involved? small schools would just have to accept they cant pay money to good talent anyway because they dont get the better talent as it is. The better the school-the better the money, nothing facepalm worthy about that..just another idea to work around..or they should just plain drop the stupid rules that penalize for under the table money because its obvious most big schools are giving it out anyway..as long as theres no test cheating or other illegal crap, giving a kid a financial gift shouldnt be a problem

What is ridiculous is that you lost your argument back in 1972. It has nothing to do with the NCAA changing a rule, you would have to change a law.

If only the top 40 paid their players, it would be an even bigger competitive advantage for the top schools. We'd hardly ever see an upset ever again.

And Ram, I worked in women's collegiate athletics. You absolutely CAN NOT, under ANY circumstances, pay the football and basketball players and not pay every athlete on campus. Hell, most schools have to field a BS women's team just to equal out with the football team to be in compliance with Title IX.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    If only the top 40 paid their players, it would be an even bigger competitive advantage for the top schools. We'd hardly ever see an upset ever again.

And Ram, I worked in women's collegiate athletics. You absolutely CAN NOT, under ANY circumstances, pay the football and basketball players and not pay every athlete on campus. Hell, most schools have to field a BS women's team just to equal out with the football team to be in compliance with Title IX.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly what I was about to type. If only the top 40 teams play their players, the other 80 schools may as well just shut down their football programs, because no one worth a damn would ever go to those schools. Now, of course, this being Ram we're talking about, we all know anyone who is not in the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, or SEC are a waste of time in any topic of discussion when it comes to football, but these retarded ideas would never stand up in any place in this country. Ram, you need to get the hell out of the 1970s man, this is 2011, time to start thinking of things in today's time and laws.

What is ridiculous is that you lost your argument back in 1972. It has nothing to do with the NCAA changing a rule, you would have to change a law.
    what Law? supporting sports with school funding that no one watches has nothing to do with the actual money generated by them or the under the table money given to the better players in the more popular sports. The so called law in 72 hasnt stopped the major programs from greasing the palms of the players the sports fans actually pay attention to. Schools still drop sports programs because if you cant fund something=you cant fund it and need to drop it regardless of a law...by by womens field hockey and lacrosse

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Exactly what I was about to type. If only the top 40 teams play their players, the other 80 schools may as well just shut down their football programs, because no one worth a damn would ever go to those schools. Now, of course, this being Ram we're talking about, we all know anyone who is not in the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, or SEC are a waste of time in any topic of discussion when it comes to football, but these retarded ideas would never stand up in any place in this country. Ram, you need to get the hell out of the 1970s man, this is 2011, time to start thinking of things in today's time and laws.
    no, because I already stated, theyll get the players they always get anyway..this wont change the landscape of the quality of players and how many..that will never change..all this is doing is legalizing the gifts the big schools give their players anyway

no, because I already stated, theyll get the players they always get anyway..this wont change the landscape of the quality of players and how many..that will never change..all this is doing is legalizing the gifts the big schools give their players anyway
    And again, goodbye to any and every chance or time a team outside those top 40 would ever be able to compete. Look at it this way, what would have happened if this came into effect 5-10 years ago? Boise State and TCU would have never became good and never would be competing with the big name schools for recruits and winning games against those big name schools. At the time, they would have ended up with nothing but scrubs because at the time they wouldn't be paying players, and those players would go somewhere they would get paid. As souljahbill said, goodbye upsets and it would literally be the top 40 competing for BCS game and national championships every year from here to eternity as long as something like your "bright" idea was in effect. The other 80 teams would be competing for who would get a slot in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and nothing else.

And again, goodbye to any and every chance or time a team outside those top 40 would ever be able to compete. Look at it this way, what would have happened if this came into effect 5-10 years ago? Boise State and TCU would have never became good and never would be competing with the big name schools for recruits and winning games against those big name schools. At the time, they would have ended up with nothing but scrubs because at the time they wouldn't be paying players, and those players would go somewhere they would get paid. As souljahbill said, goodbye upsets and it would literally be the top 40 competing for BCS game and national championships every year from here to eternity as long as something like your "bright" idea was in effect. The other 80 teams would be competing for who would get a slot in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl and nothing else.

so, are you saying that Boise pays their players under the table now and thats why they got the talent they did ? I say no, the guys that go to Boise are the kind that cant get bribed in the first place..at least 15 out of 20 LOL

Sob stories about 2 schools getting to the elite hump or not getting there doesnt drastically change the landscape...the 20 players Boise got who can actually play, they can still get regardless of legal gifts by the LSU's of the world.

my bright idea? In case you havent noticed, they already do it ( money under the table to bribe players)

so, are you saying that Boise pays their players under the table now and thats why they got the talent they did ? I say no, the guys that go to Boise are the kind that cant get bribed in the first place..at least 15 out of 20 LOL

Sob stories about 2 schools getting to the elite hump or not getting there doesnt drastically change the landscape...the 20 players Boise got who can actually play, they can still get regardless of legal gifts by the LSU's of the world.

my bright idea? In case you havent noticed, they already do it ( money under the table to bribe players)
    Not necessarily true. If those players knew they could go to one of those top 40 schools and were guaranteed all this money every year, do you honestly believe the majority of them would have still gone to Boise State or TCU? Why go play for some run of the mill WAC and MWC school who won't give you shit, even though you'd probably get to start right away or early in your career with them, when you could go play for a top 40 in one of the BCS conferences and get money. A lot of them would have said to hell with Boise State and TCU and followed the money, like almost every human does.

Same thing with other schools. Houston, SMU, USF, Cincinnati, UConn, Nevada, Southern Miss, Utah. All schools that have had some good or great seasons the past couple years, who for the most part were bad or so-so back in the late 90s, and early and mid-2000s. They all would have fallen outside the top 40 schools. They all would have lost a lot of those players and talent that has started them on winning tracks the past few years, because a bunch of those players would have gone to a top 40 school for the money, rather than go to some "run of the mill" school, again, even if it meant the chance to instantly start, because they'd rather have the money than nothing. Something like that becoming legal and open and up front will change the face of college football forever. It really would be the top schools and the little sisters of the poor. The Top 40 and the Little Poor 80.

And regardless of whether schools are already doing it, it's illegal, and schools are paying the price now. Just look at Miami. If people thought Ohio State was going to get bent over by the NCAA, their punishment, which will probably (hopefully) be rather harsh, will be a popcorn fart to the punishment coming Miami's way if they are truly guilty of all those allegations. The NCAA is going to fuck Miami hard. Hell, Miami honestly is the best candidate since SMU to be, in discussions, considered for the death penalty. The amount of allegations, the severity of allegations, and Miami being a school with many run-ins and issues in the past, the NCAA is going to fuck them up. Hope it was worth it for them.

If people thought Ohio State was going to get bent over by the NCAA, their punishment, which will probably (hopefully) be rather harsh, will be a popcorn fart to the punishment coming Miami's way if they are truly guilty of all those allegations. The NCAA is going to fuck Miami hard. Hell, Miami honestly is the best candidate since SMU to be, in discussions, considered for the death penalty. The amount of allegations, the severity of allegations, and Miami being a school with many run-ins and issues in the past, the NCAA is going to fuck them up. Hope it was worth it for them.
    What evidence is there that the NCAA will come down hard on OSU?

I agree that they'll have to demolish Miami. Unfortunately for them, they still sucked over most of the time period during which this stuff occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by cjg225 View Post
    What evidence is there that the NCAA will come down hard on OSU?

I agree that they'll have to demolish Miami. Unfortunately for them, they still sucked over most of the time period during which this stuff occurred.
    None, but I've thought and believed since day 1 that the NCAA is going to come down hard on OSU to make an example out of them to everyone else. While Ohio State avoided the lack of institutional control charge, they still had some serious violations. The NCAA can't afford to not come down hard on OSU. This is the perfect chance for them to show that they are serious about cleaning up college football. If they let Ohio State off easy, they will entirely, 100% lose any and all credibility with the schools, the teams, the coaches, the players, the fans, and the general public.

They say their going to do everything it takes to clean up the illegal stuff going on. They got off a fair start with USC. Now is the time to show they mean business. If they don't follow through, the NCAA will expose to everyone that they are nothing more than a shell of an organization and that it is not in any way about the student-athletes, and it's the boosters and agents and whatnot running the sport and not the NCAA.