Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yahoo: Why Miami is in Trouble

• Facebook
  • Display
    Tell em how you really feel Mors

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I'm just sick of it. It's all swept under the rug while a good 80% of the players that play in college basically have nothing afterward they graduate. They're there solely to play football/basketball and nothing else. They take some of the most ridiculous classes available so that they can skate by so that they can just play football/basketball and that's it. They get nothing from the education process because they're not there for the education. Then, when they don't make it to the NFL, they've got nothing (or, they make it to the NFL, and only last 2-3 seasons).

Why fuck around about it? Just make a damn semi-pro league like baseball (the only smart thing baseball has going for it) and stop fuckin' about.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I didn't even read any of the article. I'm just so tired of all the bullshit with college football. All of this wink wink nudge nudge shit with these programs just piss me off. You can't tell me that schools don't know that these coaches, athletic directors, and boosters aren't doing this shit cause every time this shit comes out, almost everyone immediately says, "Well, duh, they're a big time program; of course they're doing this, they all do it."

The NCAA needs to shit or get off the pot with this shit.

Shit: Actually do something worthwhile against these programs besides playing fuckin' pattycake with them and hire somebody to fuckin' police this shit better.

Get off the pot: Fuck all this "scholarship" shit. Fuck all this "higher learning" shit. Pay players as semi-professionals and get it over and done with.

I'm pretty sure that if you take into account how much schools are making off of TV markets, how much schools are making off of merchandising from these guys playing football, and how much the corrupt fuckin' bowl games are making off of these guys, they're probably making more money than the NFL is, cause it's pretty fuckin' obscene how much money is being made off of "student" athletes.
    I'm just sick of it. It's all swept under the rug while a good 80% of the players that play in college basically have nothing afterward they graduate. They're there solely to play football/basketball and nothing else. They take some of the most ridiculous classes available so that they can skate by so that they can just play football/basketball and that's it. They get nothing from the education process because they're not there for the education. Then, when they don't make it to the NFL, they've got nothing (or, they make it to the NFL, and only last 2-3 seasons).

Why fuck around about it? Just make a damn semi-pro league like baseball (the only smart thing baseball has going for it) and stop fuckin' about.

arent you required, by the school, to declare a major by your junior year though?

Random thought: I always have rooted for the service academy teams as underdogs. It is increasingly satisfying to see those teams beat larger programs.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Random thought: I always have rooted for the service academy teams as underdogs. It is increasingly satisfying to see those teams beat larger programs.
    Yes it is. While, as a Navy fan, I wouldn't shed a tear about Air Force or Army going 0-12 during a season, it's always nice to see them take down big programs. I went to the Navy-Ohio State game two years ago, and it was tough to watch Navy come fighting back and then fall short right at the end. What a win that would have been for Navy.

I think anyone with a college loan is going to start playing the worlds smallest violin right about now. You start paying the football players, then you have to start paying the basketball players, womens soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics, etc, etc, etc. Most college football teams do NOT make a profit. Now you want to add more cost to all these sports that do not make a dime and lose money? Guess who is going to foot that bill? Read sentence numero uno.

There have been numerous studies that have shown only a handful of FBS college programs make a profit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5490686

A newly released NCAA report shows that just 14 of the 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools made money from campus athletics in the 2009 fiscal year, down from 25 the year before.

The NCAA doesn't release individual schools' revenues and expenses. But Fulks confirmed that Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Texas and Tennessee are among the select group that made money. So is Missouri, which reported generating $2 million in profits from campus athletics in 2009.

The research was done by accounting professor Dan Fulks of Transylvania University, a Division III school in Lexington, Ky.

In 2009 everything was down so you will need to compare a more recent article. Things have three folded since 2009.

Doesn't change the fact that a lot of the smaller schools simply couldn't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    In 2009 everything was down so you will need to compare a more recent article. Things have three folded since 2009.
    Is that you President Obama? I thought you were busy campaigning (oops I mean "discussing economic recovery") in the Midwest while riding in a bus that was made in Canada. I would rather see your figures where things have "three-folded" since 2009. I know our debt has three-folded but not for the positive.

Have no clue why you would need newer statistics, it does not change the fact that you could not get away with paying just football players. You start adding up all the sports each school has, then add up all the players, multiply that by the amount you feel each player deserves and the post the results. I can save you some time and give you a rough estimate.

Last edited by bdoughty; 08-17-2011 at 04:02 PM.

its only a few schools, right ? LOL this is the cultural norm people. Big time college sports means big time fraud

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I think anyone with a college loan is going to start playing the worlds smallest violin right about now. You start paying the football players, then you have to start paying the basketball players, womens soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics, etc, etc, etc. Most college football teams do NOT make a profit. Now you want to add more cost to all these sports that do not make a dime and lose money? Guess who is going to foot that bill? Read sentence numero uno.

There have been numerous studies that have shown only a handful of FBS college programs make a profit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5490686

A newly released NCAA report shows that just 14 of the 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools made money from campus athletics in the 2009 fiscal year, down from 25 the year before.

The NCAA doesn't release individual schools' revenues and expenses. But Fulks confirmed that Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Texas and Tennessee are among the select group that made money. So is Missouri, which reported generating $2 million in profits from campus athletics in 2009.

The research was done by accounting professor Dan Fulks of Transylvania University, a Division III school in Lexington, Ky.
    you should only pay the sports who make money..women lacrosse wont be getting crap as they always never do anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    you should only pay the sports who make money..women lacrosse wont be getting crap as they always never do anyway
    Yeah, that would never stand a chance in court. Every D-IA college would be sued by the hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, that would never stand a chance in court. Every D-IA college would be sued by the hundreds.
    how can you sue from what you cant defend? its pointless to waste money on something you cant generate income from or for

Don Coryell was a PE major, didnt hurt him any ...its because he dropped forrestry

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that a lot of the smaller schools simply couldn't afford it.
    Its not an every school problem is it? i am not saying you should pay them just pointing out a flaw in his article to today's time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Is that you President Obama? I thought you were busy campaigning (oops I mean "discussing economic recovery") in the Midwest while riding in a bus that was made in Canada. I would rather see your figures where things have "three-folded" since 2009. I know our debt has three-folded but not for the positive.

Have no clue why you would need newer statistics, it does not change the fact that you could not get away with paying just football players. You start adding up all the sports each school has, then add up all the players, multiply that by the amount you feel each player deserves and the post the results. I can save you some time and give you a rough estimate.
    You need a newer stat because college sports has been increasing every year since 2001 or 2002. So in the sense I was being generous with the three-fold. You wouldn't be paying every player or at least paying every player the same. You have to face facts even if you split up a pot of money between all athletics you would have to put it on some sort of sliding scale where the departments that bring in the most gets the most to distribute to its players. Is it fair by todays standards probably not, but I also believe in the failures of egalitarianism. If you bring in more money you get more of the money, honestly some third string golf player should be happy with his full-cost of attendance because his sport practically brings in nothing, but the star running back by himself is bringing in millions of dollars. You cant sign a new 2 billion dollar TV deal and expect people to be happy with 100K of free tuition. If that's the case then why did the NFL players want more money? Its the exact same concept they are providing a service and they want more money because the service they are providing is bringing in more money, whats the difference, college players don't have agents, college players don't have unions.

Again I don't care whether they are being paid or not, but I understand why the kids are doing it. If you are going to post stats or articles then be ready for them to be criticized.

I didn't know you can make debt go up towards positive? Could have sworn it stops at zero, and if you want to discuss politics we can go to the off-topic forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    You are not paying a sport you are paying a player. All players are under NCAA rules and regulations, to even think this could be done (paying only players who play sports that make money) is to ignore US Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_IX

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Its not an every school problem is it? i am not saying you should pay them just pointing out a flaw in his article to today's time.

You need a newer stat because college sports has been increasing every year since 2001 or 2002. So in the sense I was being generous with the three-fold. You wouldn't be paying every player or at least paying every player the same. You have to face facts even if you split up a pot of money between all athletics you would have to put it on some sort of sliding scale where the departments that bring in the most gets the most to distribute to its players. Is it fair by todays standards probably not, but I also believe in the failures of egalitarianism. If you bring in more money you get more of the money, honestly some third string golf player should be happy with his full-cost of attendance because his sport practically brings in nothing, but the star running back by himself is bringing in millions of dollars. You cant sign a new 2 billion dollar TV deal and expect people to be happy with 100K of free tuition. If that's the case then why did the NFL players want more money? Its the exact same concept they are providing a service and they want more money because the service they are providing is bringing in more money, whats the difference, college players don't have agents, college players don't have unions.

Again I don't care whether they are being paid or not, but I understand why the kids are doing it. If you are going to post stats or articles then be ready for them to be criticized.

I didn't know you can make debt go up towards positive? Could have sworn it stops at zero, and if you want to discuss politics we can go to the off-topic forum.

three·fold/ˈTHrēˌfōld/
    Adjective: Three times as great or as numerous: "a threefold increase in debt".

Hence the term "not for the positive as in an increase in our debt would be a negative."

As for the rest of what you wrote I am a bit dazed and confused.

"You need a newer stat because college sports has been increasing every year since 2001 or 2002."
    What does that even mean? Increasing how exactly? I already have shown that less schools were making a profit in both 2009 and (now with added 2010 figures) than they were in 2008.

I posted where in 2009 only 14 of the FBS schools made a profit, down from 25 schools in 2008.
    I did find that it has increased to 22 of the 120 FBS schools in 2010.

Of course 2010 was not all good news.

The median net surplus of the 22 moneymaking athletic departments was roughly $7.4 million, while the median net deficit for the other 98 FBS schools was $11.3 million. The gap of $18.7 million is much higher than the $15.6 million difference in last year's report.

So back to this increasing thing you are talking about? Can you expound on that for me? If you are simply stating that things like money colleges make on TV revenues, etc go up, well you also have to factor in that the COSTS running a college go up too.

New buildings
    Raises in Teachers and Administrators salaries
    Insurance costs
    and on and on and on and on

That also raises the cost of tuition which makes that free education even more of a value to the athlete. Just as the food being served for free to the athlete in the lunch hall and the athletic dorms they sleep in at night.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 08-17-2011 at 05:35 PM.