Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Reviews: How much stock do you put in them?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    What exactly happened with Kane & Lynch at Gamespot? I don't recall.

Aww JB how can you not remember that one? That just yelled at the BS that is involved into some reviews.

I personally think its mostly the hype machine that gets reviews, I have rarely seen a game that is hyped to death not get a pretty good score, but I guess its all relative when you think about it anyway.

I know I do hate gameinformer and their second opinion score, they are always done by a different person isn't that giving a first opinion on the first opinion.

Considering I don't have a lot of gamer friends except for people online, I often use reviews as a base of whether or not I want to rent or take the plunge and buy a game. Often times my mind is already made up, but for those borderline games for me, a lot of times a review of a game gives me a bit of insight from some who has already played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by oweb26 View Post
    Aww JB how can you not remember that one? That just yelled at the BS that is involved into some reviews.

I personally think its mostly the hype machine that gets reviews, I have rarely seen a game that is hyped to death not get a pretty good score, but I guess its all relative when you think about it anyway.

I know I do hate gameinformer and their second opinion score, they are always done by a different person isn't that giving a first opinion on the first opinion.
    Yeah I guess it didn't stick in my mind as much three years later. I heard Kane & Lynch was pretty bad as it is, so I guess I didn't get into the news reel for this one.

Not at all. The Second Opinion score isn't for the reviewer to come back and revisit the review (though that would be nice). It's the video game review equivalent of one dentist saying you have six cavities and another saying you have none (personal experience). The visit to the second doctor is well known as "getting a second opinion". In this case, it's a second reviewer saying how they felt about the game.

Game Informer's War for Cybertron review gives a good example of this: http://gameinformer.com/games/transf...22/review.aspx Similar scores, but fundamentally different analysis.

...I personally think its mostly the hype machine that gets reviews, I have rarely seen a game that is hyped to death not get a pretty good score...
    I totally agree that the big hype games usually get a good review rating. Sometimes these reviews for overhyped bad games have a self-fulfilling prophecy element to them. You have a publication hyping the game months before release and there's a desire to not be wrong about predicting the next big thing.

Naughty Bear, from 505 Games (publisher of Backbreaker) got a 2.5 rating from IGN. What do you guys think are the odds that somewhere this is being spun into a media bias against 505, and therefore the explanation for Backbreaker's lackluster sales?

Nothing against Backbreaker, I'm just always entertained by conspiracy theories and how they spread.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Naughty Bear, from 505 Games (publisher of Backbreaker) got a 2.5 rating from IGN. What do you guys think are the odds that somewhere this is being spun into a media bias against 505, and therefore the explanation for Backbreaker's lackluster sales?

Nothing against Backbreaker, I'm just always entertained by conspiracy theories and how they spread.
    I have a guess where.....

Well, according to IGN, a lot of 505 Games suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    Well, according to IGN, a lot of 505 Games suck.
    According to a lot of places a lot of 505 games suck. Opening 360 Metascore is 44.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    According to a lot of places a lot of 505 games suck. Opening 360 Metascore is 44.
    It certainly didn't sound like a fun game...

The concept was pretty awesome. The worst part is why it's getting bad reviews. The IGN review talks about rampant clipping issues, enemies going through the floor, all kinds of stuff you'd never expect (at least I'd never expect) to see in retail nowadays.

Well thats not totally 505's fault, considering they only published by the game. But in terms of association-wise, they don't seem to have the best judgment in what to publish.

Not at all. The Second Opinion score isn't for the reviewer to come back and revisit the review (though that would be nice). It's the video game review equivalent of one dentist saying you have six cavities and another saying you have none (personal experience). The visit to the second doctor is well known as "getting a second opinion". In this case, it's a second reviewer saying how they felt about the game.

Game Informer's War for Cybertron review gives a good example of this: http://gameinformer.com/games/transf...22/review.aspx Similar scores, but fundamentally different analysis.
    Their scores are never that different the biggest difference I think I have ever seen was 1 point, in your own example that was a big difference but dont even come back and do the review if you feel the same way as the other guy.

I need you to come back and say you know the game sucked donkey dick after about a month of continuous play time, if you are giving me pretty much the same thing just don't do it. A fresh take is ok, but not enough to me to justify having the second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    Well thats not totally 505's fault, considering they only published by the game. But in terms of association-wise, they don't seem to have the best judgment in what to publish.
    May not be their fault, but regardless their name is prominently on the box, so they will be associated with it.

I don't really care for numerical review scores. I think grades are a little better then numbers. Of course, my favorite 1-4 (or 5) stars OR qualitative scores (Great, good mediocre, Buy it, rent it, stay away, etc.).