Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The 2011 NFL Free Agent Bonanza

• Facebook
  • Display
    Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Also, mors, there is no way that Kolb's salary will be structured the way you suggested. All big deals are backloaded in the NFL (unless this is prohibited, and I'm unaware, under the new CBA).

With his contract having 22M guaranteed over 6 years, the cap hit for releasing him is only 3.6-something per year he doesn't play and that can be spread over a couple years depending on when he's released.

Again, I'm not saying Kolb is a savior by any means. I just don't see that his contract has catastrophic potential for Arizona. Remember, unpaid salary does not go against your cap number, just the pro-rated portion of the signing bonus since it was actually paid out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    If it's structured as you suggest (backloaded) that's just going to make the cap hit worse. While, yes, the rest of the contract remaining wouldn't be a cap hit (I don't know what the hell I was thinking there), whatever his base salary is for the year that they cut him, will be guaranteed unless they cut him before March 1st (then it would only be the bonus money). Still, $15 million or more could be against their cap if they decide to cut him (instead of getting a trade partner when they decide he sucks balls - and, believe me, he does) and that's an awful lot for a QB that, in all reality, has a high likelihood of never panning out (proven fact that, besides Brett Favre and Randall Cunningham, no 2nd round drafted QB has ever been worth a damn).

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    There is a secret team in the bid for Nnamdi too....hmmm. John Clayton does say that he believes that the deal will be done today.
    As a Redskins fan, god I fuckin' hope it's not us. I don't want him. He's highly overrated in my opinion and no where near worth the amount of money that he's going to want (probably close to $65 million).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    As a Redskins fan, god I fuckin' hope it's not us. I don't want him. He's highly overrated in my opinion and no where near worth the amount of money that he's going to want (probably close to $65 million).
    As a Raiders fan I can tell you that he's not overrated. Take hime off the Raider D and the last couple years are even worse. However, I will confess that he is HIGHLY, HIGHLY overpayed. That being said I'm sure that Schneider is interested...

If it's structured as you suggest (backloaded) that's just going to make the cap hit worse. While, yes, the rest of the contract remaining wouldn't be a cap hit (I don't know what the hell I was thinking there), whatever his base salary is for the year that they cut him, will be guaranteed unless they cut him before March 1st (then it would only be the bonus money). Still, $15 million or more could be against their cap if they decide to cut him (instead of getting a trade partner when they decide he sucks balls - and, believe me, he does) and that's an awful lot for a QB that, in all reality, has a high likelihood of never panning out (proven fact that, besides Brett Favre and Randall Cunningham, no 2nd round drafted QB has ever been worth a damn).
    They'll just cut him before March 1. If they hold on to him for 3 years the hit is around 10.8M, after 4 years it's about 7.2. If the deal is backloaded properly, his salary will be low enough in the first 3-4 years that keeping him around (even if he isn't playing at all) won't be excessively costly. Trading him wouldn't erase the bonus money from Arizona's books.

Snyder (btw) isn't making the calls at all. It's Mike Shanahan. Snyder signs the checks and that's it.

Snyder hasn't had any personnel input since before Gibbs was back in Washington in 2004. That, I can guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    They'll just cut him before March 1. If they hold on to him for 3 years the hit is around 10.8M, after 4 years it's about 7.2. If the deal is backloaded properly, his salary will be low enough in the first 3-4 years that keeping him around (even if he isn't playing at all) won't be excessively costly. Trading him wouldn't erase the bonus money from Arizona's books.
    Right. They'll still have the cap of the bonus money, but, if they don't cut him before March 1st of that season (hoping to get a trade out of him but unable to finalize one before the March 1st deadline), then the amount of dead cap money is going to be quite a bit more (since his salary for the following year would be included).

Also, the amount of spread out money for the contract can't be more than a 25% increase from one year to the next, so, while, yes, they can back load the contract, his cap number will still be somewhere in the $8-15 million range for the first three seasons.

Quite a bit of money to spend on a QB that really hasn't proven himself at all.

Snyder (btw) isn't making the calls at all. It's Mike Shanahan. Snyder signs the checks and that's it.

Snyder hasn't had any personnel input since before Gibbs was back in Washington in 2004. That, I can guarantee.
    This hilarious (and appalling) article suggests, as recently as last season, that Snyder was just claiming to back away from operations.

If Shanahan is making the calls, why would he bench McNabb one week and give him an extension the next? All so he could trade him away ASAP!? That's insane and I highly doubt Shanahan is that stupid.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/a...to-dan-snyder/

Right. They'll still have the cap of the bonus money, but, if they don't cut him before March 1st of that season (hoping to get a trade out of him but unable to finalize one before the March 1st deadline), then the amount of dead cap money is going to be quite a bit more (since his salary for the following year would be included).

Also, the amount of spread out money for the contract can't be more than a 25% increase from one year to the next, so, while, yes, they can back load the contract, his cap number will still be somewhere in the $8-15 million range for the first three seasons.

Quite a bit of money to spend on a QB that really hasn't proven himself at all.
    March 1 won't sneak up on them. They'll cut him by then, if need be.

I agree that he is unproven. I just don't see it as a potential catastrophic situation. Odds are, he'll fail. I know.

The washington city paper has a personal vendetta against the Redskins. Everything they write is a complete and utter fabricated lie full of vindictive idiot "writing".

As for the whole McFlab thing, it was Shanahan. He was the one that traded for him. As for how he handled that whole situation, McFlab's work ethic fuckin' sucks and Mike (and, more so, Kyle) got tired of his bullshit. Unfortunately, they stupidly addressed it incorrectly in the media and it pretty much ballooned from there.

As for the extension, yes, it was all to trade him away immediately as well as appease his lazy ass. Hence the reason that it was setup to pay him a huge bonus on the 1st of September but barely anything before then. We had McFlab by the balls when it came to deciding what to do with him because we could have held onto him LONG after preseason was over and cut his ass right before the season started with barely anything against our cap (something like 800k or so) or he could sit quietly, and help us make a reasonable trade for him.

Believe me, Shanahan is the man running the show, and, before that, it was Zorn (unfortunately). Shanahan wouldn't even be in DC if he didn't have full control of the franchise to do what he wanted.

A lot of that makes sense, it does.

Do you really believe that an entire newspaper is out to get the Redskins though? Is everything (all 100 or so) in that article about Snyder being a liar, theif, cheat, and an unscrupulous, heartless human being completely fabricated? Nearly every one of those "allegations" links a story from another site.

Everything there is embellished. The dude is trying to run a business. Of course there are going to be unscrupulous things done. It's America and it's a business worth billions of dollars. Name one that doesn't do unscrupulous things.

And, yes, everything that they write about the Redskins is either untrue, or taking the worst possible situation and magnifying it by 100. They have a personal vendetta against Snyder because of how he refuses them access into the Redskins locker room and created an official Redskins radio broadcast. Everyone that was an insider for that newspaper was fired.

Dude is an asshole, there's no doubt about that and, really, I don't care if he is or not. He runs his businesses well (except for the Six Flags thing, but that wasn't his fault, like the "writer" says it is) and makes a shit ton of money and, with that money, donates QUITE a bit to various foundations to help various horrible things that are happening around the country/world.

In the end, I can go through that list and disprove a good 90% of it (like charging fans $10 for parking and to go to a team practice - BOTH of those things is something that EVERY team does), as has already been done by other Redskins fans on the forum I participate in, but it's really not worth my time. As for the "proof" that they link to in all their allegations, 95% of them are linking to other articles by their newspaper instead of outside sources that have actual PROOF.

If you say so.

EDIT: I only checked through E, but only 8 of 18 links were to their own paper (hardly 95%).
    Last edited by steelerfan; 07-29-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Braylon Edwards might be opposite of Michael Crabtree in SF, now they just need someone to throw them the damn ball

So who is in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes this year? My guesses: San Fran, Washington, Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrh61988 View Post
    So who is in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes this year? My guesses: San Fran, Washington, Buffalo.
    Seattle is my top guess for now. But San Fran may suck that bad this year to be in line to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Seattle is my top guess for now. But San Fran may suck that bad this year to be in line to get him.
    nah...we'll take matt barkley if he declares.