Thread: What types of plays do you use in custom playbook?

• Facebook
  • Display

What types of plays do you use in custom playbook?

I'm trying to see what types of playbooks or plays everyone uses in their custom playbook.

For me I try to go with a pro style with some Shotgun (including wildcat), full house, 1 pistol formation, 3 I-form, 2 strong side I-form, 1 weakside, and several Ace formation.

I start to wonder if I have more of a multiple playbook...
    Last edited by Badgersfan; 07-25-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Yeah... now back on topic.

I'm using Iowa State in an OD and so I started with Louisville to get their Wild Card, then added a bunch of Shotgun & Pistol Formations to allow me to get both HBs on the field at the same time with some option with their speedy QB.

I'm having pretty good success with it so far... just have to work on finding better balance in play-calling.

I'm not bothering with the playbook till I hear theres no silly problems going on..but I would like to have a more interesting 2 tight end, 2 WR look and a subtle air raid look.

...but I still have a craving for the chips I saw earlier

I just picked Wisconsin as a base playbook and only kept the Ace formations. Then I started putting some plays back in and included the wildcat. So far after starting a dynasty with Southern Miss, I've noticed i should probably go back and take out a shotgun formation and put in some more option plays. I have a QB with decent speed, but i don't have much to give him the chance to run. Balance is another issue i have also.

I am a big fan of using a bunch of formations that have the exact same personnel in them so I can audible and keep guys in their correct positions. This year I am having a blast using the shotgun formations with a FB in the backfield right behind the guard-tackle who acts as a lead blocker on running plays. Being in shotgun, or pistol, buys me a little more time when pressure is coming, and this year you can run out of the shotgun if you can get as many blockers as defenders. I typically run just about every play as a "read block" type of setup. I read my blocks and simply run away from the unblocked backers.

I use Michigan so it helps to have the fastest guy in the game playing QB! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    I'm not bothering with the playbook till I hear theres no silly problems going on..but I would like to have a more interesting 2 tight end, 2 WR look and a subtle air raid look.

...but I still have a craving for the chips I saw earlier
    Ram, I have had ZERO issues with playbooks and thus far I have created five of them. I think the key is to NOT mass remove plays/formations. But anyways back on topic... I am loving this MUTLI PISTOL I offense I have created... almost every set I run has a FB/TE. I'm having a blast with the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Ram, I have had ZERO issues with playbooks and thus far I have created five of them. I think the key is to NOT mass remove plays/formations. But anyways back on topic... I am loving this MUTLI PISTOL I offense I have created... almost every set I run has a FB/TE. I'm having a blast with the feature.
    I intend to use in online head to head and i've heard too much of a negative survey to waste my time experimenting..right now anyway.

i have Notre Dame going pretty well. They're not currently set up to run with the QB as much as their playbook allows. Also i found a lot of repeat type plays in their shotgun formations.

i added power running formations, 6 I formations (Strong, Weak, Normal, all with Slot alternates), to my mix of shotgun packages. i plan on recruiting pocket passers, speed backs/receivers. its all about finding/exploiting mis-matches in man, and having effective checkdowns.

also i typically use crossing routes, slants, hooks and go/post routes. cant' use square -in/out routes and others that take too long to develop (circle routes, comeback, double moves ect)

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I mass removed formations because I wanted to put it back together the way I wanted it...and I think sometimes plays will disappear when selecting one but I need to test this myself a few more times

Quote Originally Posted by DuffHouse12 View Post
    also i typically use crossing routes, slants, hooks and go/post routes. cant' use square -in/out routes and others that take too long to develop (circle routes, comeback, double moves ect)
    same here for the most part because southern miss doesn't exactly have that great of a offensive line...I just don't like hooks since they never seem to work for me...my favorite passes would have to be screens, quick ins, or using streaks as quick passes if my receivers get past the defenders off the line.

I'm a One Back guy -- my playbook has 18 Ace formations. I use lots of two TE formations for power running, lots of playaction, and I throw screens and crossing routes till the cows come home.

I've tried to maintain some harmony throughout the playbook, so almost every formation has Power O/PA Power O, WR Screen, Mesh, Stick, X Follow, Inside Cross, etc.

The key to my offense is a fast TE who can create mismatches with linebackers, so that functionally I almost always have three WRs on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    I intend to use in online head to head and i've heard too much of a negative survey to waste my time experimenting..right now anyway.
    I've been using custom playbooks online since day one without any problems.

I use the West Virginia playbook as a base then a mix of shotgun and pistol 2x2 and 3x1 formations built out with air raid passing plays and a few running plays. I've also added a few ace and i formation to the playbook to help my running game out. In my first dynasty season with Arkansas State I finished 119th in rushing offense.

base south carolina for passing, flea-flicker and unconventional looking pass plays, alot of pre-snap movement the rest is heavy rush. took hours to create that o.o

I find Ohio St has an excellent playbook to start with. It's multiple so you have a lot of great sets to start.