Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shripe's Rise to his Alma Mater (also known as the 'I Know Tables' thread)

• Facebook
  • Display

Shripe's Rise to his Alma Mater (also known as the 'I Know Tables' thread)

A recent graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has entered the Coaching Carousel for the 2011 college football season. Looking to eventually gain the head coaching position at his alma mater, he decides to join the struggling Tulane Green Wave as an offensive coordinator.

Note: I was using an All-American slider set, of which I'm not exactly great with just yet, and playing as weak teams makes it that much more difficult, given a shoddy D that had me losing by 20+ points in a few games my first season.

Slider Set (through Week 10, Year 1 w/Vanderbilt)

Current Slider Set: Stock All-American, WORK IN PROGRESS

Joining him in the second year of his two year contract, here are his goals (Year 2, Week 3, after a loss to Ole Miss in Week 2):

And the Green Wave schedule for this season:

Last edited by Shripe; 07-24-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Atta kid

Week 2: Tulane (0-0) @ Ole Miss (0-0)

The frustrations against higher ranked teams continue for Tulane, with their running game being held in check by Ole Miss. Griffin was forced to throw 48 times, completing only 17 passes for 260 yards and a touchdown against a difficult Ole Miss defense. While the 2012 recruiting class raised team ratings, the Green Wave still do not have the firepower needed to compete against the stronger teams. However, the entire coaching staff will be focused on learning from this defeat to see if they can make this season more successful than last season's 3-win disappointment.

Week 3: Tulane (0-1) vs. Rutgers (1-0)

Another disappointing game for the Green Wave. Even after simulating the second half, Tulane's offense just could not get anything going. Not that anything was expected, going up against a great team like the Scarlet Knights.

Week 4: Tulane (0-2) vs. Syracuse (1-1)
    Is there any cure for mediocrity?

Despite a largely better showing by the Tulane offense (3 interceptions notwithstanding), it still wasn't enough to compete with the firepower of Syracuse's offense. Tulane had 11 more total yards than Syracuse, but the running game was stagnant once again, leaving little choice but to force throws at times to gain yards, leading to the turnovers.

Week 5: BYE

Tulane's players rallied in this bye week, for one clear purpose: Get their heads back in the game, pull off some upsets and play like they ought to be able to in the coming weeks. The offensive coordinator specifically instructed his crew to make better plays, starting with the Battle of the Bell against Southern Miss.

Week 6: USM (2-1) vs. Tulane (0-3)

Behind a stellar effort from Orleans Darkwa, running only 114 yards but completing 4 clutch red zone TDs, and a 72 yard pass TD from Ryan Griffin, the Green Wave finally pulled off the upset they were hoping for. Notching their first win of the season, Tulane now looks to be on the right track. They still need three more wins to fulfill a main goal of their 2nd year offensive coordinator, and five more to become bowl eligible. But now we know they have the motivation to succeed, thanks to a perfectly timed bye week.

Goal update (65% job security):

Week 7: Tulane (1-3) vs Tulsa (1-3)

Goal update for new week (88% job security!):

The Green Wave pull off another great win! Yet another Conference USA upset, as they take down Tulsa by 4 points. The entire team is on a high, with the defensive squad bending but not breaking, despite another slow start by the offense. With several games left this season, perhaps even a potential bowl bid is in sight.

Week 8: Rice (0-5) vs Tulane (2-3)

Mid-Season Standings Update

Thanks to a great 13-28, 242 yard, 3 TD performance by Ryan Griffin and a strong platoon running game by Orleans Darkwa and Peyton Jason, the Green Wave notch their third straight win. Riding the wave of motivation from the bye week, they continue on their winning ways. While inconclusive last year, the hiring of their new offensive coordinator seems to be paying dividends, though the defense has also stepped up their game. As the OC comes close to fulfilling his 4-win goal, the Green Wave begin eyeing their chances at a bowl bid.

Week 8 (9) Contract Goal Update (94% job security) - No longer updating every goal, just outstanding goals

Week 9: Tulane (3-3) vs Marshall (2-5)

Box Score

We Are Tulane!

Despite 5 interceptions by Griffin and 3 returned turnovers for touchdowns by Marshall, Tulane manages to hang on for the win in overtime. The game headed to overtime after great performances by Payten Jason, with a 92 yard TD run, and Brock Sanders and Brandon Callahan with 81 and 87 yard TD receptions respectively. The offense was clicking on all cylinders, despite Griffin's ball handling issues. Thanks to a defensive stop and missed field goal in Marshall's half of the first overtime period, all the Green Wave had to do was score. And score they did, not leaving the game to their inconsistent kicker, passing in a short yardage situation for the final score. This brings their record above .500, landing the offensive coordinator's 4th win! Is a bowl bid in the Green Wave's future? We shall see, especially with their Week 10 matchup against LSU coming up!

Goal update (100% job security):

Tulane's Remaining Schedule

It's looking tough to get to 6 wins and a potential bowl bid, with Tulane's only two best chances being on the road against UTEP and Houston. Last five games coming up soon!

Tulane (4-3) vs. #24 LSU (5-3)

Box Score

[TABLE]Offensive Stats | Tulane
    Total Offense | 210 yards
    Rushing | 42 yards
    Passing | 168 yards
    3rd Down Conversions | 5-16
    Red Zone - TD - FG | 6-0-1

No big surprise, Tulane falls

The expected happened today, with the Green Wave falling to the top-25 ranked LSU Tigers. The only touchdown for Tulane was scored on a punt return, with a field goal coming at the end of the half. Surprisingly, the game was clean without a turnover from either team, but Tulane's defense just was not enough against the high-powered LSU offense. Tulane returns to .500 once again, looking at winning their next two games to become bowl eligible.

Week 11: Tulane (4-4) vs. UTEP (4-4)

Standings Update

Box Score

Stagnant Offense, Bowl Hopes Dwindling

The Green Wave offense stunk their way to a 33-17 loss, complete with 6 turnovers and a mere 21% 3rd down conversion rate. Things started off well when DJ Banks ran the game's first kickoff back for a 93 yard touchdown, but that was about all the points Tulane could muster. Griffin was off his game once again, throwing 4 interceptions and being sacked three times. Tulane must now look forward to better their 2010 record of only 4 wins before the end of the season.

Week 12: Tulane (4-5) vs. Houston (5-4)

Conference Standings Update

Box Score

More bad offense... Can Griffin break out of his slump?

Once again, Tulane's offense is limited, and its defense falters just enough to give Houston the win. Seeming doomed to stay at 4 wins, Tulane must find the strength to win out toward the end of the season.

Tulane (4-6) vs. #19 SMU (9-1)

Box Score

Green Wave OC Waving White Flag?

After today's dismal loss against another top-15 team, people are beginning to wonder whether the offensive coordinator will be offered a new contract after this season. Sure, he's gotten them upset wins, but really hasn't shown a ton of effort in some of the games. We'll see, as the Green Wave are now bowl ineligible.

Week 14: Tulane (4-7) vs. #20 UCF (10-1) - The Final Game (also known as "Why Us?")

Box Score

So much for the season

At the end of the season, Tulane finds itself out of the conference championship, without a bowl bid, and back at square one from before the new offensive coordinator walked onto campus. Chances weren't good for a win in the last two games, but it can't be good to put up only 6 points against 2 top teams. We'll see whether the OC returns after the offseason.

Final Conference Standings

C-USA Championship Game

C-USA Bowls

National Champion
    Wisconsin Badgers, def. Auburn 39-32!

Coaching Carousel

Tulane
    Extended OC Contract - 1 Year - 41% job security

Baylor
    OC - 2 Years - 44% job security - Top Candidate

NC State
    Offensive Coordinator - 3 years - 44% job security - Top Candidate

Unexpected Jobs

Southern Miss
    Offensive Coordinator - 3 years - 44% job security

Kansas
    Defensive Coordinator - 1 year - 44% job security

Middle Tennessee State
    Offensive Coordinator - 3 years - 41% job security

Decisions, decisions...

Coaching Announcement

I don't mean to burn any bridges with Tulane, but their mid-major poor-defense experience has driven me nuts. Y'know what? I'm going to go to Kansas and be their defensive coordinator for a year to prove to everyone I know what I'm doing on D. Besides, it can only be good for me, given the well-roundedness I'll need for becoming head coach, right?

Kansas' response

Uhh... We don't want you anyway. Sorry.

Coaching Carousel, Part Deux

UL Monroe
    Offensive Coordinator - 2 years - 41% job security - Top Candidate

Army
    Offensive Coordinator - 3 years - Top Candidate

Middle Tennessee State (See Above)

Decisions, decisions... Stuck with the lesser teams.