Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Nike Pro Combat Uniform System

• Facebook
  • Display

2011 Nike Pro Combat Uniform System

Another college football season looms on the horizon, and once again Nike has partnered with a select number of NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision schools to create Pro Combat uniform system designs.

There are nine schools which will be wearing Pro Combat uniforms this upcoming season:

• -- September 3rd versus LSU at Cowboys Stadium
    • and -- September 3rd at the Georgia Dome
    • -- October 15th versus Michigan at Spartan Stadium
    • -- October 22nd versus Auburn at Tiger Stadium
    • -- October 29th versus Wisconsin at Ohio Stadium
    • -- November 27th versus Notre Dame at Stanford Stadium
    • and -- December 10th at FedEx Field

No date was given for a reveal of the uniforms, but last year's Pro Combat uniforms were unveiled in a special presentation on September 1st, 2010.

Though fans of EA SPORTS NCAA Football likely need no reminder, here are the schools who have previously been featured in the Pro Combat uniform system:

Last edited by Paakaa10; 07-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Army-Navy Pro Combats.

And they really need to start getting some different teams involved, or at least trying to. It's like looking at a carbon copy of teams every year.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Army-Navy Pro Combats.
    Considering the name Pro Combat, it's about time the service universities got in on the action!

And they really need to start getting some different teams involved, or at least trying to. It's like looking at a carbon copy of teams every year.
    I agree. It's funny to see a program like --which is a "traditional" program in my mind--as the only school which has submitted to Pro Combat designs all three years. I know the fans have typically been unhappy with the uniform designs as well.

It's also unclear as to whether or not will be getting a new Pro Combat design or whether they will simply be wearing the uniforms they had for the BCS National Championship Game against . The news release I read seemed to imply that the 2011 Pro Combat system debuted in that game. Given Oregon's uniform history, however, it wouldn't surprise me to see yet another design.

Aren't all of Oregon's uniforms essentially Nike Pro Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by OptionMasta View Post
    Aren't all of Oregon's uniforms essentially Nike Pro Combat?
    I kind of felt the same way, but apparently they've not been officially acknowledged in the yearly Pro Combat Uniform System until this year. Nike certainly does a lot of experimentation with Oregon anyway.

And for anyone curious about having the conference breakdown spelled out for them with regards to Pro Combat teams:

• SEC -- 4 (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU)
    • ACC -- 3 (Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech)
    • Big XII -- 3 (Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas)
    • Pac-10/12 -- 3 (Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford)
    • Big East -- 2 (Pittsburgh, West Virginia)
    • Big Ten -- 2 (Michigan State, Ohio State)
    • Independent -- 2 (Army, Navy)
    • MWC -- 2 (Boise State 2011, TCU)
    • WAC -- 1 (Boise State 2010)
    • C-USA -- 0
    • MAC -- 0
    • Sun Belt -- 0

THANK GOD Penn State does not participate in this... though I'm really ticked that we took the off-color trim off of our uni tops. They make such a big difference, aesthetically.

Quote Originally Posted by cjg225 View Post
    THANK GOD Penn State does not participate in this... though I'm really ticked that we took the off-color trim off of our uni tops. They make such a big difference, aesthetically.
    This is classic. God forbid the team spices things up a bit with a little different uniform option for one game of the season. I know there would be plenty of heart attacks in State College. Nike would probably just put numbers on the helmet or something of that nature to avoid going all crazy and stuff.

I do agree that a lot of them suck, though. And PSU has awesome uniforms.

As for Oregon I think they wear them all the time but aren't acknowledged as such.

"Group pictures" of the previous Pro Combat Uniform System designs:

L to R:

L to R:

Quote Originally Posted by cjg225 View Post
    but all they are doing is going back 20 years as opposed to something new..but frankly, I like the mono look..the neck ring was kind of clownish..they are now much more old school than theyve been in a while haha

After comparing the 2009 "class" of Pro Combats to the 2010 versions, I think the uniform system generally works better when the designers are putting together "team color" jerseys. There's a lot of "blah" to the 2009 group because so many were white uniforms. By contrast, team colors dominated the system landscape in 2010 and made for better work.

Hopefully--with most of the 2011 Pro Combat uniforms set to be worn as home jerseys--team colors will be best-represented once again.

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    but all they are doing is going back 20 years as opposed to something new..but frankly, I like the mono look..the neck ring was kind of clownish..they are now much more old school than theyve been in a while haha
    More like 30-ish years. There are photos going back into the early-mid 80s that show the white trim. And the trim was for practical reasons as much as anything else. But taking the trim off, especially from the home unis, makes a HUGE difference, I think. Without the white neck trim, the unis lose some "class." They look like $10 Dick's Sporting Goods practice uniforms.

And I know that they're technically more "old-school" now, but that isn't what I want. I want simple uniforms that are aesthetically pleasing, and, to me, the unis we've had my entire life were better than the new ones, even based on something as simple as off-color neck trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    After comparing the 2009 "class" of Pro Combats to the 2010 versions, I think the uniform system generally works better when the designers are putting together "team color" jerseys. There's a lot of "blah" to the 2009 group because so many were white uniforms. By contrast, team colors dominated the system landscape in 2010 and made for better work.

Hopefully--with most of the 2011 Pro Combat uniforms set to be worn as home jerseys--team colors will be best-represented once again.
    Maybe the best exception to that was WVU. They had a really nice away jersey that they wore for the Brawl last year.

Maybe the best exception to that was WVU. They had a really nice away jersey that they wore for the Brawl last year.
    Yeah, I'm a fan of the WVU Pro Combat from last year. Much better white uniform than what Florida got.

I also like when the Pro Combat uniforms are on the field at the same time, like Boise State-Virginia Tech to start last season or the Backyard Brawl between WVU and Pitt towards the end of the year. Glad to see that Boise State-Georgia and Army-Navy will be Pro Combat "showdowns" this year.

I think that's pretty cool too. I was pumped about the Brawl until the results came in!

Ugh, Nike should be banned from making new uniforms. Too many of them are just butt freaking ugly.

Now this is just a rumor but there are some Georgia folks saying that this is what the "top secret" pro combat unis will look like for Georgia/BSU.

What the hell is that?

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    What the hell is that?
    Apparently it was Nike's first time using the Teambuilder feature. For helmet they chose "reverse Braveheart."

That would probably be the worst helmet ever worn on a college football field.

That would probably be the worst helmet ever worn on a college football field.
    I would have to agree completely.