Page 57 of 85 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1694

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Stop stalling Smooth!!! I know you are fearing ASU. Remember what they did to you last year...

Jaymo's ASU 1 Smooths Tulsa 0

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Stop stalling Smooth!!! I know you are fearing ASU. Remember what they did to you last year...

Well, you'll have to wait until tomorrow. Currently playing some Spartan Ops in Halo 4 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Also, for the record, I have a whole bunch of new tables now among my posts on the first page. I was sort of bored late last night around 1am, but wasn't about to try and squeeze in a game.

So I ended up going back through my entire history in this dynasty and pieced together multiple tables of conference championships, national championship (empty for now), bowl games, players involved in Heisman voting, players who won national awards and players voted onto the various All American lists.

I replaced my 5th post, which was just saying a bunch of crap about me being done posting my opening tables and how I was gonna do things in this dynasty.

You can see it here: http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...ll=1#post84011

So now I'll have a specific place to list all of my (and my players) accomplishments throughout the dynasty, from the beginning to whenever the hell it ends up ending. Much easier to see a snapshot of all of it in a single post than have to go from season to season searching it out.

So it truly is now literally tables galore on the first five posts of this dynasty.
    MORE TABLES!

Two new tables have been added to my Awards and Accomplishments section in post #5. I spent the last few hours going back through all my seasons, clear back to 2011 with FIU, and creating comprehensive Game Records and Season Records tables.

I may consider a Career Records table at some point in the future, but since I'm jumping from team to team throughout the course of this dynasty, I'm not really gonna be around for full careers for a lot of kids, so things may end up skewed towards the schools that I spend the most time at, whereas Game and Season records are at least even for every player and every school in regards to potential record-holders.

So I officially have a butt load of tables. Between my Dynasty History, Coach Statistics and Awards and Accomplishments posts, I have 18 different tables (counting individual contracts hidden behind spoilers) in those three posts alone.

This is pretty amazing. Legendary dynasty, considering all the work that's been put in. Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by packersfan4eva View Post
    This is pretty amazing. Legendary dynasty, considering all the work that's been put in. Impressive.
    I appreciate it man! This has been a blast to do for the last two years, and look forward to keeping it going for more years to come.

I'm looking forward to your Central Indiana dynasty. Always great to see new dynasties and new blood showing up here in the dynasty section. Gets sort of lonely after a while when you're the only one in town. Best of luck with your dynasty and I'll be following it. It looks good already with just the opening posts, well done with the website layout, I like it!

Game Four

Game Notes

--- Off to an undefeated start to the 2019 season, it was time for our first road test of the season, as we headed southwest to take on Arizona State. The Sun Devils were off to a bit of a rough 1-2 start to the year, with an abysmal offense (their rushing offense, ranked #98 with 148.0 yards/game was their highest offensive ranking) and a partially abysmal defense (the only ranking above 100 was rushing defense, ranked #34, giving up only 144.6 yards/game). While that boded well for us, whether or not our offense and defense would be able to keep it up would be another question. We won the coin toss and elected to kick.

A 17 yard return on the opening kickoff got Arizona State lined up from their 15 yard line to start the game. The Sun Devils got the ball moving quickly as Justin Goolsby ran for 8 yards on first down, followed by a 5 yard rush from Deon Price to move the chains to the 29. Ira Shaw then dropped back on first down, throwing a 14 yard pass to Goolsby for another fresh set of downs at the 42. Our defense was able to strike back, tackling Shaw for a two yard loss, before Price took the handoff for a gain of 5 yards to leave third and 7 at the 45. Our defense would come through on its first challenge of the game, tackling Shaw for a one yard loss to bring out the punt team on fourth and 8. A 6 yard return by Eric Hayden on the 43 yard punt left us starting from our 19.

Coming out on first down, Will Oliver got us started on the ground with an 8 yard rush to begin the drive, followed with a gain of 6 outside the right tackle to pick up the first down at the 33. Keeping it on the ground, Oliver could find only little success on his third carry, stifled by the defense for a three yard gain. Looking to catch the defense sleeping, we came out passing on second down, the defense biting hook, line and sinker as Brad Stephens hooked up with Hayden along the right sideline, Hayden beating his man to the corner and racing down the field before being tackled for a 40 yard gain at the Arizona State 23 yard line. Returning to the ground on first down, Oliver fought his way to a two yard gain, followed by a rush for 5 yards to leave third and three from the 16. Putting our drive into the hands of Eric Silva, he was able to bust through the line and get the first down, making it as far as the ASU 10 yard line, before being stripped of the ball, Arizona State recovering the fumble at their 10 yard line.

Goolsby got the Sun Devils right back and running on offense with a 12 yard rush and an immediate first down at the 22. A three yard rush by Shaw was followed with a 10 yard rush by Goolsby and the chains were moved at the 34 yard line. Our defense then decided to help out with a 5 yard offside penalty, before Shaw dropped back and threw deep, connecting with Ernie Wilcox for a 32 yard strike and a first down at our 28 yard line. Shaw attempted to repeat the previous play, but Wilcox dropped the pass, bringing up second down. It quickly turned to third down as the pass intended Robert Cotton ended up incomplete. The drive would end up sputtering, as the third down pass intended for Wilcox was broken up by the safety, leaving Arizona State with fourth and long from the 28. Opting to not go for the field goal, Sparky decided to go for the fourth down conversion, Shaw dropping back to pass once more and this time able to connect with Jason Harrell for a 22 yard gain, giving Arizona State first and goal from our 6. A pass on first down was completed to Cotton for 5 yards, leaving second and goal at the one. Despite being only one yard out, the Sun Devils had themselves firmly in a pass first frame of mind, as Clinton Mason dropped the second down pass from Shaw to leave third and goal. Finally switching back to the running game, Goolsby finished off the drive by punching it in for a one yard touchdown, giving Arizona State a 7-0 lead with 3:00 left in the first quarter.

No return on the following kickoff left us lining up at our 25 yard line, looking to get back on track. Oliver started our drive with a rush for no gain, the Arizona defense suddenly going from kitten to lion. Dropping back to pass on second down, Stephens tried to connect with Joe Vaughn, but the pass sailed wide and incomplete, leaving third and long. A third down pass to Silva was initially complete, until a timely hit by the outside linebacker jarred the ball loose to bring up fourth down. We would catch our first major break of the game as Christian Johnson booted a booming 49 yard punt, the punt returned for close to 10 yards before our punt team was able to knock the ball loose on the return, the fumble recovered middle linebacker Danny Ray, giving us back possession, a new life and a new set of downs at the Arizona State 34 yard line. Calling an audible from run to pass at the line after the defense showed heavy blitz, Stephens tried to connect with Carl Barnes, but the outside linebacker was able to jump the pass and knock it down, leaving second down. Coming out straight passing on second down, Stephens was able to get another completion to Hayden, good for a 15 yard gain to move the sticks to the 19 yard line. Throwing to Barnes on first down, he was able to get his hands on the ball, before being hit and spun down by the outside linebacker to knock the ball loose. Coming out in the shotgun on second down, we would see our second straight drive die inside the red zone, as cornerback Mark Anderson intercepted the pass intended for Vaughn, returning it 6 yards to the 17 yard line.

Taking over on offense after the interception, Arizona State came out firing as Shaw tried to connect with Cotton through the air on first down, but one hand by our middle linebacker was able to break up the pass to bring up second down. That lasted all of one play as Shaw turned right around and firedx to Cotton a second time, completing the pass for 16 yards and a first down at the 33 yard line. Turning back to the ground, Goolsby rushed for three yards on first down, followed by an 8 yard rush to move the chains to the 45. Our defense finally found their backbone once again, sacking Shaw for a 9 yard loss to leave Arizona State with second and 19 from the 36. Running the ball on second down, Goolsby erased 5 yards from that sack, but an incomplete pass intended for Reggie Hall killed the drive as the Sun Devils faced fourth and 14 from the 41. A three yard return by Hayden on the 46 yard punt left us starting at our 15 yard line, only 16 seconds left in the first quarter.

Running the ball on first down, Oliver broke free up the middle, taking the handoff for a 13 yard gain and a first down at the 28 yard line. The clock would run out without another snap, bringing the first quarter to an end, Arizona State leading 7-0.

Opening up the second quarter, Oliver picked up right where he left off, taking the ball for a 7 yard gain on the ground, followed by a 5 yard rush to get the first down at the 40 yard line. Despite the defense trying to shut down the run, Oliver was still able to fight his way to a 5 yard gain, before Silva managed two yards on the second down carry to leave third and three. Switching things up this time, Stephens came out under center, but dropped back and fired off a quick pass to Robert Harper for an 8 yard gain and a first down at the Arizona State 45 yard line. Coming out in a run formation, we again got the Sun Devils to bite on defense, allowing Hayden to get separation down the right hash, hauling in the pass from Stephens and taking it to the house for a 45 yard touchdown, tying the game up at 7-7 with 6:51 left in the second quarter.

A touchback on the kickoff left Arizona State starting from their 25 yard line. It was a poor start to the drive as Shaw’s pass on first down was dropped by Price to bring up a quick second down. After an incomplete pass left third and long, Arizona State saw their punt team return after a 7 yard completion to Cotton left fourth and three on the scoreboard. A 5 yard return by Hayden on the 50 yard punt got us underway from our 22 yard line.

Coming out with a run play called, Stephens quickly called audible to a short pass as the defense stacked the box. While Marcus Mullins was able to get wide open cutting outside toward the left sideline, he was unable to get a grip on the ball and pull it in, the pass ending incomplete to bring up second down. The second down pass intended for Hayden ended up broken up by the cornerback, and we were left facing third and long. Ryan Lewis would make his first catch of the game a drive saver, hauling in the third down pass for a 16 yard gain and a first down at the 38 yard line. A rush by Oliver on first down netted 8 yards, followed by a stumbling 9 yard carry to move the chains to the Arizona State 45 yard line. Tossing the ball to the right, Silva was able to pick up three yards on the toss play, followed by a designed rush by Stephens to pick up four yards, leaving third and three. Lining up under center on third down, Stephens dropped back and launched a deep pass to Barnes, who had beaten the safety deep down the middle of the field, Barnes hauling the pass in before being dragged down by his ankles for a 36 yard gain, setting up first and goal at the two yard line. Some great blocking by the offensive line on first down opened up a gaping hole for Oliver to stroll through for a two yard touchdown, giving us a 14-7 lead with 3:37 left before halftime.

A 25 yard kickoff return got Arizona State lined up from their 23 yard line. It was a very poor start as Shaw’s pass on first down was dropped by Wilcox, followed by a two yard loss by Goolsby to leave the Sun Devils facing third and 12 from their 20. A dropped pass by Cotton on third down brought the drive to an uneventful conclusion. A 12 yard return by Hayden on the 50 yard punt got us set up on offense from our 41 yard line, 2:52 left in the quarter.

Coming out passing on first down, a quick throw to Harper resulted in a 12 yard completion and a quick first down at the ASU 47. Dropping back again on first down, Stephens was able to hook up with Hayden along the right sideline for a 26 yard strike and a new set of downs at the 21 yard line, the Sun Devils defense suddenly losing their swagger from the first quarter. Trying to dump the ball to Barnes on first down, the pass from Stephens was broken up by the middle linebacker, leaving second and 10. A pass to Vaughn on a comeback route left the cornerback with his ankles broken, Vaughn hauling in the pass for a 16 yard gain to set up first and goal at the 5 yard line. Returning to the ground, Oliver received the handoff from Stephens, rushing for a three yard gain to leave second and goal at the two. Trying to take it up the middle on second down, Oliver was stuffed for a loss of two yars, leaving us facing third and goal at the four yard line, just under one minute left on the clock. Throwing a quick pass into the end zone on third down, Hayden made his second touchdown catch of the day, diving to haul in the pass for a four yard touchdown and a 21-7 lead with 31 seconds left until halftime.

A 19 yard kickoff return got Arizona State started from their 18 yard line, just 20 seconds left on the clock. The Sun Devils were content to let the clock run out, Price rushing for a four yard gain to the 22 yard line as the final 15 seconds ran off the clock. The clock hit all zeroes without another snap of the ball, taking us into halftime with a 21-7 lead and getting the ball back to start the second half.

Opening up the second half, the kickoff sailed into the end zone for a touchback, getting us lined up at the 25 yard line to start the third quarter. Starting the second half on the ground, Oliver was able to break free outside the right tackle and pound his way to a 12 yard rush, giving us an instant first down at the 37. Another rush by Oliver resulted in a 7 yard gain, followed by a three yard carry to leave third and inches at the 47. Leaving our drive in the hands of Oliver, he was able to punch through the middle for three yards and a first down at midfield. Looking to fool the defense, we came out passing from the same formation, Vaughn able to pull down the pass from Stephens for a 13 yard gain and a first down at the ASU 37. Returning to the ground, Oliver took the handoff and fought his way up the middle for an 8 yard gain, before a pitch right to Oliver ended in disaster as Oliver was tackled for a four yard loss, leaving third and 6. Throwing over the middle on third down to Kyle Jones, he was able to pull down the pass for a 13 yard gain and a new set of downs at the 19 yard line. Oliver tried to gain some yards on the ground on first down, but was quickly stood up for a one yard gain. Turning back to the air on the next play, the pass intended for Barnes was broken up, leaving us with third and 9 from the 18. Throwing deep on third down to Hayden, the pass was ultimately broken up by the safety, leaving the field goal unit coming out. The 35 yard field goal by Derek Glover was good, increasing our lead to 24-7 with 4:54 left in the third quarter.

A touchback on the kickoff left Arizona State starting from their 25 yard line. This time around, the Sun Devils were able to get off and moving to start their drive, as Shaw connected with Wilcox for a quick 15 yard gain and a first down at the 40. A pass to Harrell for two yards was quickly followed up with a 29 yard bomb to Price and Arizona State suddenly was knocking on the door with first down at our 29 yard line. The Sun Devils wasted no time picking up another first down as Wilcox pulled down a pass for a 13 yard gain, moving the chains to the 16 yard line. A two yard rush by Shaw was followed with a rush for a two yard loss by Price to leave third and 10. That third down would end up erased as Shaw found Wilcox yet again, this time for a 12 yard pickup to set up first and goal from our four yard line. After an incompletely pass by Shaw, Price took the ball on the ground on second and goal and finished off the drive with a four yard touchdown rush, cutting our lead to 24-14 with 2:59 left in the quarter.

A 20 yard kickoff return by Hayden lined us up from our 19 yard line on our next drive. Changing things up, we came out firing on first down, the pass intended for Vaughn nearly intercepted to leave second down. Lining up in the shotgun on second down, the pass to Vaughn was broken up and knocked incomplete, leaving us with third and long. The third down throw to Lewis was again broken up to force the three and out and bring out the punt team. A 19 yard return on the 46 yard punt gave Arizona State incredible field position at our 46 yard line. Hall got the drive started with a 6 yard rush, before being tackled for a loss of four yards to leave third and 8. Our defense would hold on third down, as the pass from Shaw to Price only gained two yards, bringing out the ASU punt team on fourth and 7. The Sun Devils took a gamble on fourth down and went with a fake punt, the pass from punter Greg Payne was completed to Alex Mitchell, but our return team was able to limit the damage to just two yards, forcing the turnover on downs at our 41 yard line.

Oliver took the handoff on first down, fighting his way to a four yard gain as we at least got off to a positive start this drive. Oliver was quickly wrapped up for a two yard gain on the next carry, leaving third and four. Firing up a pass to Vaughn, the safety dove at the ball, either to intercept or bat it away, but missed, diving himself out of the play, as Vaughn hauled in the ball and with the safety on the ground, was able to turn up the field and race defense down the field before finally being tripped up just shy of the end zone for a 50 yard gain, leaving us with first and goal at the four yard line. Oliver took the ball on first down, quickly brought down for no gain to leave second and goal. That would be the final play as the clock ran out, bringing the third quarter to an end, our lead holding at 24-14.

Opening up the fourth quarter, Oliver received the handoff and went straight up the gut, driving his way forward into the defense and letting momentum carry him into the end zone for a four yard touchdown, increasing our lead to 31-14 and giving us some insurance with 8:58 left in the game.

A 20 yard kickoff return got Arizona State starting at their 24 yard line and looking to close the gap. The drive got off to a good start as Shaw was able to complete a pass to Hall for an 8 yard gain, but it all unraveled after that as an incomplete pass intended for Cotton and a dropped ball by Harrell left the Sun Devils staring at fourth and two from their 32. Arizona State elected to take their biggest risk of the game and go for it on fourth down well inside their territory, but it paid off as Price rushed for 5 yards and a first down at the 37. That gain was quickly erased however on the next play as Shaw was sacked for a 6 yard loss, bringing up second and 16 from the 31. Shaw was able to make up for the lost yardage with an 8 yard pass to Mason, but the Sun Devils still faced third and 7. Goolsby, after sitting out a quarter with an injury, came back in and wasted no time in bending our defense over as he took the third down handoff outside the right tackle, go around the corner of the defense and broke free up the right sideline all the way to the end zone for a 61 yard touchdown, cutting our lead down to 31-21 with 7:30 left in the game.

A touchback on the kickoff lined us up at our 25 yard line, our insurance from the previous drive completely erased. While it was only a 10 point lead, we were going to do our damnedest to run off some of these 7 minutes left on the clock and force Arizona State into playing the rest of the game rushing their offense, and hopefully making mistakes as a result, as they play against the clock. Oliver got the drive started with a 6 yard rush, followed by a three yard gain by Silva to leave third and one. Silva was unable to get the job done, tackled for no gain on the third down play. Time for our biggest gamble of the game, we lined back up on fourth and one from our 36 yard line, Silva managing to get positive yards this time as he rushed for a gain of 6, picking up the first down at the 40 yard line, the clock nearly five minutes to play. Oliver came back into the huddle, receiving the first down handoff for a three yard gain, followed by a two yard rush to leave third and 5. Trying to throw a pass on third and 5, Stephens never had a chance to get the pass off as he was sacked for a 10 yard loss, leaving us punting on fourth and 15, though we were able to run nearly four minutes off the clock during the drive. A four yard return on the 47 yard punt got Arizona State back on the field at their 21 yard line, only 3:29 left in the game.

It was a poor start for the Sun Devils as the first down pass from Shaw was dropped by Cotton, followed by a two yard completion to Harrell that left Arizona State facing third and 8. Another pass to Harrell went for a bigger gain of 7 yards, but ASU was still short, left with fourth and one at their 30 yard line, the game essentially coming down to this one play. Wilcox would keep the Sun Devils breathing with a 9 yard rush, picking up the first down at the 39 yard line and leaving hopes of a victory slimly alive. Going back to the air, Shaw found Harrell again, this time for an 11 yard gain and a new set of downs at midfield with 2:50 left on the clock. A first down pass to Goolsby gained three yards, before an incomplete pass intended for Harrell brought up third and 7. Another incomplete pass, this time intended for Cotton, and Arizona State again was left with fourth down and the game once again essentially coming down to this one play. The fourth down pass by Shaw to Harrell was momentarily completed, before a vicious hit by Jonathan Chambers knocked the ball loose and incomplete, forcing the decisive turnover on downs and giving us possession at our 47 yard line with 2:!7 left in the game.

Oliver got us off and running from the start with a 7 yard gain, Arizona State calling their first timeout with 2:14 left. Another rush by Oliver picked up only one yard to bring up third and two at the ASU 46, the Sun Devils calling their second timeout with 2:11 remaining. Oliver was able to drive the dagger into the heart with a four yard rush, picking up a first down at the 41 yard line, Arizona State calling their third and final timeout with 2:08 left to play. Looking to really drive home the dagger, we came out in shotgun on first down, throwing up a bomb into the end zone to Hayden, who was able to initially get his hands on the ball before the cornerback knocked it incomplete to bring up second down. Returning to the ground on second down, Oliver took the ball for a one yard gain, leaving third and 9. Left with third and long, we came back out in shotgun, the pass over the middle to Vaughn complete for a 26 yard gain to give us a first down at the 15 yard line with 1:18 remaining. Despite only one minute remaining in the game, we went for the deathblow and the insult, a pass to Hayden on a slant route completed in the end zone for a 15 yard touchdown and a 38-21 lead with 1:03 remaining.

A touchback on the kickoff got Arizona State lined up at their 25 yard line, 55 seconds remaining in the game. Two quick incomplete passes by Shaw left Arizona State immediately facing third and long, before he was able to finally connect with Cotton for a big 27 yard gain and a first down at our 48 yard line with 37 seconds to go. After a dropped pass by Wilcox on first down, Shaw found Hall for a 13 yard pickup and a new set of downs at our 35, just 20 seconds left on the clock. A pass to Harrell went for another 13 yard gain and got the Sun Devils down to our 22 yard line with just 10 seconds remaining. Going back to Hall, Shaw was able to complete the pass for a 19 yard gain and leave Arizona State with first and goal from our three yard line, but just two seconds remaining on the clock. The Sun Devils wouldn’t be able to get the snap off from our two yard line before the clock ran out, sealing our 38-21 victory.

With the win, we improve to 4-0, 1-0 in Big East action. With the loss, Arizona State drops to 1-3, 0-1 in Pac-12 play. Up next, we continue our road trip with a visit to Oklahoma. The Sooners enter the game 1-1 on the year, beating #16 Wisconsin 42-34 to open their season before losing 26-23 to Rice.

Final Score
    38, 21

Stat(s) of the Game:
    Tulsa Offense - A pretty good day for Stephens, ending 15-29 for 335 yards passing, three touchdowns and one interception. Other than the interception, certainly can't argue with those numbers. Rushing, another great day by Oliver, ending with 137 yards and two touchdowns on 33 carries. Receiving, it was a game record tying day for Hayden, who ended with 145 yards and three touchdowns on six receptions. Hayden makes his second entry into the records book with three receiving touchdowns in a game. Vaughn also had a good day with 105 yards on four receptions. Overall, six receivers caught a pass, all six ended with double digits yards or better, Hayden and Vaughn were the only ones to break the century mark.

Tulsa Defense – Good and bad. Held the Arizona State offense in check on quite a few drives, but also ended up giving up 423 yards of offense, three touchdowns and a 61 yard touchdown rush. The defense has some work to do if we're going to have any hope against Oklahoma.

Tulsa Kicking – Another perfect day for Glover, going 1-1 in field goals with a 35 yard kick, and going 5-5 in PATs.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    0 21 3 14 38
    7 0 7 7 21

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    3:00 Touchdown J. Goolsby, 1 yard run (S. Willis kick) 7-0
    Second Quarter
    6:51 Touchdown E. Hayden, 45 yard pass from B. Stephens (D. Glover kick) TIED 7-7
    3:37 Touchdown W. Oliver, 2 yard run (D. Glover kick) 14-7
    0:31 Touchdown E. Hayden, 4 yard pass from B. Stephens (D. Glover kick) 21-7
    Third Quarter
    4:54 Field Goal D. Glover, 35 yard field goal 24-7
    2:59 Touchdown D. Price, 4 yard run (S. Willis kick) 24-14
    Fourth Quarter
    8:58 Touchdown W. Oliver, 4 yard run (D. Glover kick) 31-14
    7:30 Touchdown J. Goolsby, 61 yard run (S. Willis kick) 31-21
    1:03 Touchdown E. Hayden, 15 yard pass from B. Stephens (D. Glover kick) 38-21

Game Stats

Tulsa Stat Arizona State
    38 Score 21
    20 First Downs 20
    486 Total Offense 423
    41 - 151 - 2 Rushes - Yards - TD 21 - 141 - 3
    15 - 29 - 3 Comp - Att - TD 23 - 43 - 0
    335 Passing Yards 282
    1 Times Sacked 2
    9 - 15 (60%) 3rd Down Conversion 4 - 13 (30%)
    1 - 1 (100%) 4th Down Conversion 3 - 5 (60%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    8 - 4 - 1 (62%) Red Zone - TD - FG 6 - 2 - 0 (33%)
    2 Turnovers 1
    1 Fumbles Lost 1
    1 Intercepted 0
    26 Punt Return Yards 18
    20 Kick Return Yards 81
    532 Total Yards 522
    3 – 47.7 Punts - Average 4 - 47.8
    2 - 20 Penalties 0 - 0
    19:16 Time of Possession 16:44

Tulsa Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    21+ points per game in each season 42
    Win 10 games in one season 4
    3300+ passing yards each season
    65% pass completions over the entire contract 60%
    Win 6 games in one season
    15+ rushing TD in each season 10
    3200+ total offensive yards each season 1834
    3400+ total offensive yards each season 1834

Job Security Status

64%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 06-27-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Taking a look around the nation, in the Top 25, #1 Nebraska rolls along with a 42-23 win over Arkansas State. #2 Penn State holding on for a 54-48 double overtime victory over #21 Wisconsin. #3 Virginia Tech remains perfect and ruins the perfect season of Ohio with a 44-17 thrashing. #4 Auburn escapes South Caroline with a 33-28 win. #5 Notre Dame beats Purdue 45-20. #6 Arkansas gets a 42-24 win over Missouri. Ohio State gets an upset in The Shoe as they knock off #7 Iowa, 31-21. #20 LSU upsets #8 Texas 35-30.

#9 Miami picks up a 45-26 win over #11 Clemson, who is somehow ranked #11 despite dropping to 0-3 to start the season. #10 Georgia beats Vanderbilt 29-3. Maryland knocks off #12 West Virginia 34-31 in overtime. Michigan holds on to upset #13 Alabama 38-31. #14 Cincinnati steamrolls Akron 37-0. #15 NC State remains undefeated with a 42-21 win over Duke. Colorado shocks #16 Arizona 23-17. Rice shockingly improves to 4-0 with a 26-23 stunning of #17 Oklahoma.

#19 Oregon needs two field goals in double overtime to edge out Stanford and avoid the upset bid, beating the Cardinal 23-20. #22 San Diego State hangs onto their perfect record with a 20-16 win over Air Force. #24 Oklahoma State pulls out of a 17-10 win over TCU, and Troy remains perfect on the year as they edge out #25 Nevada 21-19.

For our readers, souljahbill, Southern Miss drops to 2-1 (0-0 C-USA) with a 52-27 loss to previously-winless Connecticut. Jaymo, Arizona State falls to 1-3 (0-1 Pac-12), with a 38-21 loss to yours truly. Payback is a bitch. . Mors, #12 West Virginia drops to 2-2 (1-1 Big 12) with a 34-31 overtime loss to Maryland. Jeff, Ohio State improves to 2-2 (1-0 Big Ten) with a 31-21 upset of #7 Iowa. Other teams of interest, Arkansas State falls to 2-2 (0-0 Sun Belt) with a 42-23 loss to #1 Nebraska.

In Big East action, Tulsa whoops Arizona State 38-21, Cincinnati blanks Akron 37-0, Connecticut breaks into the win column with a 52-27 thrashing of Southern Miss, SMU remains perfect as they beat Texas State 34-6, Houston stays perfect with a 38-24 win over Central Florida, Navy stays unbeaten with a 32-13 win over Memphis, East Carolina sees their perfect record destroyed as they lose 49-16 to Hawaii and Temple loses 31-28 to Eastern Michigan.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, Nebraska (38 first place votes) remains #1, Penn State (21 votes) remains #2, Virginia Tech (2 votes) remains #3, Auburn (1 vote) remains #4, and Notre Dame remains #5. Arkansas remains #6, Miami jumps two to #7, Georgia climbs two to #8, Cincinnati leaps five to #9 and NC State vaults five to #10. Texas drops three to #11, LSU leaps eight to #12, Iowa drops six to #13, Tennessee climbs four to #14 and Oregon moves up four to #15. Clemson (despite being 0-3) falls only five to #16, San Diego State jumps five to #17, Utah climbs five to #18, Oklahoma State jumps five to #19 and Alabama drops seven to #20. Rutgers enters the poll at #21, Texas Tech enters the poll at #22, West Virginia plummets eleven to #23, Ohio State enters the poll at #24 and Wisconsin (203 points) drops four to #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Arizona (from #16), Oklahoma (from #17) and Nevada (from #25). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Florida (192 points) is #26, followed by Oklahoma (187), Michigan (75), Virginia (64) and Georgia Tech (42) to round out the Top 30. One other team getting votes this week is Arizona (37).

Looking at the new Top 25 Media Poll, Nebraska (42 first place votes) remains #1, Penn State (21 votes) remains #2, Virginia Tech (1 vote) remains #3, Notre Dame (1 vote) remains #4 and Auburn climbs one to #5. Arkansas moves up one to #6, Georgia climbs two to #7, LSU jumps four to #8, Miami climbs one to #9 and Texas drops two to #10. Cincinnati leaped six to #11, Iowa fell seven to #12, Oregon climbed five to #13, NC State jumped six to #14 and Tennessee moved up four to #15. Clemson (despite being 0-3) falls only five to #16, Texas Tech jumps five to #17, Oklahoma State moves up five to #18, San Diego State climbs five to #19 and Alabama falls six to #20. Utah climbs four to #21, Ohio State enters the poll at #22, Florida enters the poll at #23, Oklahoma drops eight to #24 and Wisconsin (219 points) falls four to #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Arizona (from #13) and West Virginia (from #15). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, West Virginia (188 points) is #26, followed by Pittsburgh (186), Arizona (153), Michigan (136) and Virginia (102) to round out the Top 30. Other teams getting votes this week includes USC (66) and Arkansas State (62).

Taking a look at the Heisman race, Auburn QB J.J. Thomas is #1 (LW: #5), Notre Dame QB J.R. White is #2 (LW: NR), Iowa QB Drew Frederick is #3 (LW: #2), Arkansas QB John Rivera is #4 (LW: NR) and Nebraska HB Ronnie Mayfield is #5 (LW: NR).
    Dropping off of the Heisman Watch list this week wereTexas HB Robert Young (LW: #1), Georgia Tech HB Brandon Terrell (LW: #3) and Nebraska QB Robbie Allen (LW: #4).

Payback be a bitch.

That last, unnecessary, touchdown with 1:03 left was scored specially for you.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie

That's just mean.

You should definitely keep track of the coach for that team and whatever team he moves to should be scheduled the next time you have room on your schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post

That's just mean.

You should definitely keep track of the coach for that team and whatever team he moves to should be scheduled the next time you have room on your schedule.

Yeah, probably, but it was earned.

Yeah, that could be a fun little rivalry. And according to the 2016 Coaching Carousel (I already turned off the 360 so can't look it up right now), Arizona State's head coach is Mike Sabock (former Northern Illinois and Western Michigan OC) who came from WMU to Arizona State in the 2011 coaching carousel and then was promoted from their offensive coordinator when the previous head coach bolted for Mississippi State in 2016. To fill the then open OC spot, they hired Turner Gill who was freshly fired from Kansas.

I didn't see any Arizona State movements in the 2017 or 2018 Coaching Carousels, so Sabock and Gill should still be the head coach and OC. If Sabock remains head coach of Arizona State after this season, I might be tempted to add Arizona State back onto the schedule my first two years at whatever team I end up with.

Payback be a bitch.

That last, unnecessary, touchdown with 1:03 left was scored specially for you.
    Okay let's clear up a few things.

First off, ASU QB Shaw was playing on a broken leg, had the flu, and was tired from having just given blood 20 minutes before the game in order to help end the suffering in Sudan.

Secondly, the ref, Mr. Joe Sully graduated from Tulsa, is married to a Tulsa professor and recently admitted he cheers for Tulsa every game

Thirdly, Breaking news... Stephens, Lewis and Oliver under investigation for using HGH!

Good game Smooth.

Okay let's clear up a few things.

First off, ASU QB Shaw was playing on a broken leg, had the flu, and was tired from having just given blood 20 minutes before the game in order to help end the suffering in Sudan.

Secondly, the ref, Mr. Joe Sully graduated from Tulsa, is married to a Tulsa professor and recently admitted he cheers for Tulsa every game

Thirdly, Breaking news... Stephens, Lewis and Oliver under investigation for using HGH!

Good game Smooth.

I will say, Arizona State gave me the most statistically even game I've ever played. Dead even on first downs, 63 yard difference in total offense, 10 yard difference in rushing offense, 53 yard difference in passing offense, 10 yard difference in total yards, Arizona State had one more punt with a 0.1 yard higher average, and only a 2:16 difference in time of possession.

So statistically, it was one hell of a game. And without that last touchdown, only a 10 point margin of victory. I may need to look at possibly making Arizona State a semi-permanent name on my schedule.

I will say, Arizona State gave me the most statistically even game I've ever played. Dead even on first downs, 63 yard difference in total offense, 10 yard difference in rushing offense, 53 yard difference in passing offense, 10 yard difference in total yards, Arizona State had one more punt with a 0.1 yard higher average, and only a 2:16 difference in time of possession.

So statistically, it was one hell of a game. And without that last touchdown, only a 10 point margin of victory. I may need to look at possibly making Arizona State a semi-permanent name on my schedule.
    Oh you know that in year two I am putting Tulsa on my sched (but I'm not sure which team I am going to be yet). ASU must be revenged!

Oh you know that in year two I am putting Tulsa on my sched (but I'm not sure which team I am going to be yet). ASU must be revenged!
    Tulsa's gonna trounce you.

Love the career! Can't wait to find out where you land after Tulsa!

Quote Originally Posted by sublime View Post
    Love the career! Can't wait to find out where you land after Tulsa!
    I appreciate it! Glad to hear you're reading and enjoying it. Hope we'll see you stick around as a regular reader and poster.

And I'm right there with you. The anticipation of where my career may take me next after Tulsa is killing me. We're getting closer though. One-third of the season is done, two-thirds still to go (no counting potential conference championship and bowl games) over the next week or two.

I'm gonna be firing up the 360 within the next half hour or so and get some more games in. Gonna try to avoid getting violated by Oklahoma, then I'm gonna try to fit in Connecticut afterwards so I can hit the midway point of the season before calling it a night.

You have got to be shitting me! I've spent the last three fucking hours playing Oklahoma, constantly playing catch up and finally in fourth quarter able to take a lead and win 41-27, only for the fucking game to freeze at the end of the game when showing the highlight pictures. I am beyond fucking pissed right now. Just pissed away three fucking hours for nothing, and unless I feel like sitting up until at least noon (I normally am hitting the sack around 10am since I'm on a third shift sleep cycle), there's no way in fuck I get both Oklahoma (replayed) and Connecticut in today.

I'm pretty much at the point that I have no desire to even WANT to fucking replay Oklahoma. That game was nothing but aggravation for three quarters until I finally managed to pull a lead out of my ass, only for it to be all pissed away by the first fucking freeze I have ever experienced in NCAA '13. It's one thing if that shit happens early in the game or around halftime, but I just spent three hours playing the entire goddamn game, it was FINAL and I just had to wait for the post game menus to come up, and the piece of shit freezes. That does nothing but piss me off.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 06-27-2013 at 04:45 AM.

I don't know why the hell I'm even considering it, but firing the Oklahoma game back up. I'm probably gonna keep the clock moving a lot in this one just to get it over with since I'm not exactly in the mood to play Oklahoma again, so it probably won't be as good. Since I'm still pissed off at wasting three hours, instead of just deleting everything I typed and letting it all go to waste, here's a Google Doc I created with the raw text from my word document, so you can read about what a hell of a game it was that I had against the Sooners.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Game Five

Game Notes

--- Continuing our undefeated season and our three game road trip, it was time to head back west, though staying in-state this time, as we trekked down Interstate 44 to OKC and then on to Norman for a showdown with the Sooners of Oklahoma. The Sooners presented by far our toughest test of the season, with near equal ratings. Their rankings, albeit through only two games, also showed a tough opponent. The Sooners were putting up 32.5 points/game (#40 nationally), passing for over 252.5 yards/game (#36 nationally), which was 1.5 yards/game better than us. Defense was also an improvement over our previous opponents as the Sooners ranked in the mid-50s across the board defensively. We would no doubt have our hands full today. Turnovers would be a potential problem as well, as the rain poured out of the sky. Oklahoma won the coin toss and elected to kick, putting our offense to the test first.

A 19 yard kickoff return by Eric Hayden got us started from our 16 yard line. Oliver got us off to a great start, rushing straight up the middle for a 12 yard gain and a first down at the 28. Another rush by Oliver gained 8 yards, before being tackled for a one yard loss to leave third and three. Brad Stephens dropped back from under center on third down, managing to drop a pass to Hayden in between the cornerback and safety for a 25 yard gain and a first down at the Oklahoma 40. Heading back to the ground game on first down, Oliver continued to punish the defense with an 11 yard rush and a new set of downs at the 29. Oliver kept the spree of first downs going with a second straight 11 yard run to move the chains to the 18 yard line. Third time would not be the charm however as Oliver was stood up for a one yard loss to leave second and 11. Looking to catch the defense cheating, Stephens lined up under center in the same formation, but with a pass play called. The defense wasn’t fooled however as Stephens was sacked for a 7 yard loss to bring up third and 18. Taking a shot at the end zone, the pass intended for Joe Vaughn was broken up by the cornerback, ending our drive. It would only get worse as a false start penalty pushed us back to the 31 yard line with fourth and 23. As a potential hint of how horrible this day may end, the 48 yard field goal by Derek Glover was straight as an arrow. Too straight however as the four mile per hour winds failed to give it any hook, causing the kick to bounce straight off the left upright and back into the end zone for a missed kick.

Oklahoma took over on offense from their 31 yard line after the missed field goal, looking to jump on the opportunity. Claude Horn wasted little time in taking advantage of the twist of fate, rushing for gains of 5 and 7 yards to get an early first down at the 43. Another 7 yard rush by Horn was followed with a 6 yard gain to pick up another first down at our 44 yard line. David Alexander got in on the action on first down, throwing up a 13 yard pass to Pierre Smith, moving the chains further yet to our 31. Our defense was able to put up a fight however, tackling Horn for a four yard loss and forcing an incomplete pass from Alexander to bring up third and 14. It would all be for naught as Alexander dropped back on third down and lofted a bomb into the end zone to Ernest Rogers, completed for a 35 yard touchdown to give Oklahoma a 7-0 lead with 4:10 left in the first quarter.

A touchback on the kickoff got us lined up from our 25 yard line, looking to cut the deficit. Oliver received the handoff on first down, pounding his way to a 12 yard gain to move the ball to the 37. Oliver tried to repeat that gain, but he was quickly brought down for a mere two yard pickup to leave second and 8. Turning to the air to open up the defense, Stephens just barely released the ball before being drilled, the ball bouncing around in the air off a couple helmets before falling to the ground incomplete. Left with third and 8, Stephens came out in the shotgun, trying to connect with Vaughn deep over the middle, but Vaughn got held up on a defender and wasn’t in position in time as the ball sailed by and landed incomplete downfield to bring out the punt team. An 8 yard return on the 46 yard punt gave Oklahoma the ball at their 23 yard line.

Alexander tried to get the ball moving in the air to start the drive, but the Sooners had a temporary setback as Darius Lewis dropped the ball to bring up second and 10. The setback would be only very temporary as Smith was able to pull down a pass from Alexander for a 12 yard gain and a quick first down at the 35. A pair of rushes by Horn for gains of 5 and one yards set up third and four, but the Sooners would fail to convert the third down, Horn tackled behind the line of scrimmage for a two yard loss to leave fourth and 6. A 10 yard return by Hayden on the 44 yard punt got us back in action from our 26 yard line.

Oliver continued his best to put on a running demonstration, running for 8 yards on the first down carry, before being brought down for no gain to leave us facing third and two. Stephens tried to hook up with Hayden on a slant, but Hayden was unable to hold onto the ball, leaving our punt team making another appearance on fourth and short. A fair catch on the 49 yard punt gave Oklahoma possession from their 16 yard line.

The Sooners were able to come out strong this drive as Alexander chucked up a pass to Corey Bean for an 11 yard gain and a first down at the 27. The defense answered back by sacking Alexander two plays in a row, for minor losses of two yards and three yards to force Oklahoma into a third and 15 situation. The defense refused to go down without a fight, forcing Alexander into throwing an incomplete pass to bring up fourth and 15. A fair catch by Hayden on the 48 yard punt gave us the ball at our 29 yard line, just 7 seconds left in the first quarter.

A two yard rush by Oliver would bring the first quarter to an end, Oklahoma leading 7-0.

Opening up the second quarter, Stephens went into the air trying to connect with Hayden, but he was unable to hold onto the ball after a hit by the outside linebacker, leaving third and 8. The Oklahoma defense proved as difficult as ever, the third down pass intended for Ryan Lewis broken up by the safety to bring out our punt team once again. A fair catch on the 45 yard punt got Oklahoma lined up from their 23.

A pair of 6 yard rushes by Smith and Rashad Dixon got the drive started with a quick first down for the Oklahoma, moving the ball to their 36. Alexander followed that up with a 10 yard pass to Rogers to move the chains once more to the 46. After an incomplete pass intended for Bean, Rogers picked up four yards on the ground to give Oklahoma third and 6 from midfield. Our defense would win another battle, holding Alexander to just two yards on the third down scramble, bringing out the Oklahoma punt team on fourth and four. No return on the 43 yard punt left us in a very difficult position, as we came out to start from our own 5 yard line.

Oliver was able to start the drive with positive yardage, rushing for a 5 yard gain, followed by a 7 yard pickup to give us a first down at the 17 yard line and move us out of the shadows of our own goalposts. We kept pounding away on the ground, Oliver running for a four yard gain, followed by a three yard pickup by Silva, to leave third and three. Silva was able to get the first down and then some, busting through the hole and ending up with a gain of 15 yards and a first down at the 38 yard line. Oliver returned the backfield, picking up 6 yards on the first down carry, before Silva managed to get three yards to leave third and one. Oliver was able to pick up the first down on the ground, rushing for 8 yards to move the chains to the Oklahoma 45 yard line. Looking to catch the Sooners sleeping, we came out running play action pass on first down. The defense bit hook, line and sinker as Stephens fired off a pass to Kyle Jones, complete down the right sideline for a 24 yard gain and a first down at the 21 yard line. Coming out punching again on first down, we swung and missed as the pass intended for Vaughn was intercepted by middle linebacker Anthony Long, returned two yards to the 17 yard line.

Oklahoma took over at their 17 after the interception, their defense able to stem the tide of our drive. Oklahoma’s drive started nearly as poorly as ours ended, as two straight dropped passes by Smith and Bean left the Sooners suddenly looking at third and long. Smith would come through however with a 12 yard reception on the third down play, moving the chains to the 29 yard line and keeping the drive moving. A 5 yard rush by Horn was immediately erased due to a false start penalty, leaving second and 10. It would only be a minor setback as Alexander dropped back on the next play, firing up a pass to Bean for a 28 yard gain, giving Oklahoma a first down at our 43 yard line. A three yard rush by Horn and another incomplete pass again left Oklahoma with third and long, but again our defense would falter when it mattered most, Alexander completing an 18 yard pass to Rogers for a new set of downs from our 22. Horn took over on the ground again for an 8 yard gain, but he was unable to duplicate the results in the air, the second down pass intended for him falling incomplete to leave third and two. Our defense would catch a huge break as Smith dropped the third down pass in the end zone to bring up fourth and short from our 13. Our break would increase tenfold as the Sooners decided to go for it on fourth down instead of kicking a field goal, the pass by Alexander sailing long out the back of the end zone, turning the ball over on downs at our 13 yard line with 2:12 left before halftime.

Taking over at our 13 yard line after the turnover on downs, time was short with a lot of grass in front of us, forcing us into the air from the start. It would prove fatal as the first down pass intended for Hayden ended up intercepted by Long, his second interception of the game, returned 7 yards to give Oklahoma the ball at our 20 yard line with 2:07 remaining.

It didn’t take long for Oklahoma to take advantage of the interception. Despite an incomplete pass intended for Smith on first down, Alexander quickly found Bean for a 16 yard gain and the Sooners were knocking on our door once again with first and goal from the four yard line, Oklahoma calling their first timeout with 1:59 remaining Horn would punch it in on the next play for a four yard touchdown, giving Oklahoma a 14-0 lead with 1:50 left in the half.

A 21 yard kickoff return by Hayden got us set up at our 22 yard line, just 1:38 to go. Despite the last two drives, we had no choice but back into the air once more. This time we would strike gold as Vaughn managed to get the jump off the line of scrimmage and built up a 5 yard gain on both the cornerback and safety down the left sideline, jumping up to catch the pass from Stephens near midfield, causing the diving cornerback to miss him completely. Vaughn then managed to get his feet back under him and raced the safety deep into Oklahoma territory, finally tripped up by the safety at the last moment for a 71 yard reception to give us first and goal at the 8 yard line. Despite being only 8 yards out, with still limited time, even with three timeouts, running was not an option. We would finally get on the scoreboard on the first down play, Carl Barnes diving to the ground in the end zone for an 8 yard touchdown, cutting Oklahoma’s lead in half to 14-7 with 1:06 left in the half.

A touchback on the kickoff got Oklahoma started at their 25 yard line, 58 seconds remaining. It would be nowhere but backwards to start for the Sooners, as a holding penalty pushed them back to second and 20 from the 15 yard line. The Sooners weren’t ready to call it quits yet however, as Alexander heaved a deep pass downfield, caught by Smith for a 30 yard gain to give Oklahoma a first down at their 45 yard line, their second timeout stopping play with 48 seconds to go. It would only get worse as a pass interference penalty on our defense gave Oklahoma 15 free yards and a first down from our 40 yard line, 45 seconds remaining. Alexander got off a 5 yard pass to Smith, before an incomplete pass intended for Bean brought up third and 5. Our defense would fail to hold on third down, Horn rushing for 8 yards and the first down at our 28 yard line, 29 ticks left with the clock still running. Middle linebacker Anthony Clement would save our ass, intercepting Alexander at our 22 yard line to give us back the ball with 16 seconds to go.

A simple dive up the middle by Oliver for an 8 yard gain was the last play of the half as the clock ran out, taking us into halftime, Oklahoma leading 14-7.

Opening up the second half, no return on the kickoff gave Oklahoma the ball at their 25 yard line to start the third quarter. Smith opened the drive with an 8 yard rush, followed by a 9 yard sprint by Dixon to pick up an early first down at the 42. A 7 yard rush by Rogers was followed with an incomplete pass from Alexander, leaving Oklahoma with third and three. It wouldn’t take long for the Sooners to convert, Alexander connecting with Bean for a 5 yard gain to move the chains to our 47 yard line. The Sooners offense continued to abuse our defense, as Alexander found Bean again, this time for 17 yards and a first down at our 29. It was D. Lewis’ turn to get in on the action, hauling in a 20 yard pass from Alexander, setting Oklahoma up with first and goal from our 10 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down, Horn opened up back up to double digits with a 10 yard touchdown rush, giving Oklahoma a 21-7 lead with 7:08 left in the third quarter.

No return on the kickoff gave us possession at our 25 yard line, looking to get back within striking distance of a tie game. We got off to a poor start to our drive, Oliver instantly stuffed for a loss of one yard to leave us with second and 11. Coming out in shotgun on second down, the pass intended for Hayden was broken up by the cornerback, as our offensive momentum fell apart. Trying to hit Vaughn down the right sideline on third down, the pass by Stephens sailed long, resulting in another appearance by the punt team. A fair catch on the 47 yard punt gave Oklahoma the ball at their 29 yard line.

Horn started the drive for the Sooners with a 5 yard rush, but the defense bit back on second down, tackling him for a loss of one yard to bring up third and 6. The momentum lasted all of one play as Alexander hit Rogers over the middle for a 15 yard completion and a new set of downs at the 47. After an incomplete pass, the defense managed to punch back again, tackling Alexander for a three yard loss, but again the celebration was short lived as Alexander torched us with a 21 yard strike to Rogers for a first down at our 35 yard line. A three yard rush by Smith was followed with a four yard rush by Horn. Alexander tried to convert third and three on his own, and did manage three yards on the rush, but he was marked short, leaving Oklahoma facing fourth and inches. Naturally the Sooners elected to go for it, Horn picking up 5 yards on the carry to move the chains to our 21 yard line. Horn continued to tear us apart with a four yard rush and a 9 yard rush, setting up first and goal at our 8. Alexander took back over with a two yard pass to William Smith, before finding Bean in the back of the end zone for a 6 yard touchdown, turning the game into a rout as Oklahoma took a 28-7 lead with 3:19 left in the third quarter.

A touchback on the kickoff got us lined up from our 25 yard line, looking for any way to claw ourselves back into this game. Coming out throwing, Stephens was able to get the first down pass into the hands of Hayden, but he was unable to hold on as he turned up the field, the incomplete pass bringing up second down. Stephens tried to find Barnes over the middle, but a vicious hit by the safety resulted in an incomplete pass and left Barnes sidelined for the rest of the game with a broken finger. Lining up on third and long, Stephens was able to get the ball off to Oliver for a 19 yard gain and a first down. A flag came out on the play, originally thought to be holding, but instead of it was roughing the passer on outside linebacker Maurice Newsome. With the extra 15 yards tacked on to the end of the play, we went from our own 44 yard line to the Oklahoma 41 yard line without a single snap of the ball. Looking to build on the momentum and advantage, Stephens tried to connect with Hayden, but the play was broken up by the cornerback. Throwing to Robert Harper over the middle on first down, the pass was completed for a gain of 15 yards and new set of downs at the 26. Stephens threw up a rainbow on first down into the back of the end zone for Vaughn, but the pass sailed too far and landed out of bounds incomplete, bringing up second down. Going right back to Vaughn, he made an incredible catch in the back of the end zone, turning around to catch the pass in his chest and get both feet in before falling backwards out of the back of the end zone, the pass completed for a 26 yard touchdown to cut Oklahoma’s lead down to 28-14 with 2:21 left in the third quarter.

No return on the kickoff gave Oklahoma the ball at their 25 yard line. Horn picked up where he left off with pair of rushes for gains of three and two yards. Horn would then convert third and 5 with a 6 yard rush to move the chains to the 36. Horn continued to pound at our defense, running for a 5 yard gain, followed by a two yard carry to leave third and three. We would catch a break when the Sooners decided to go into the air on third and short, the pass intended for Smith falling incomplete to bring up fourth down. A 7 yard return by Hayden on the 49 yard punt gave us the ball at our 15 yard line with 47 seconds left in the third quarter, our hopes of a comeback still alive.

Lining up in the shotgun, we continued our aerial assault on the Oklahoma defense, Silva pulling in a 6 yard pass from Stephens, followed by a 7 yard completion to Hayden for the first down at the 28 yard line. Stephens tried to throw deep on first down, but the pass to Vaughn was broken up to bring up second and 10. Going right back to Vaughn, on the opposite sideline as the previous play, Vaughn was able to get just enough height on his jump to get above the cornerback and come down with the pass above the corner’s head, hauling in the completion for a massive 50 yard gain and a first down at the Oklahoma 22 yard line. That would be the last play as the third quarter came to an end, Oklahoma still holding a 28-14 lead.

Opening up the fourth quarter, we kept chucking up passes, trying to hit Hayden in the corner of the end zone, but the pass was nearly intercepted by the corner to bring up second down. Another pass to Hayden was again nearly intercepted, and our drive was suddenly in trouble. Lewis would get us back into the promised land, an attempt to jump the pass by the cornerback resulting in him taking himself out of the play, allowing Lewis to catch the pass and run into the end zone unchallenged for a 22 yard touchdown, closing Oklahoma’s lead down to 28-21 with 8:45 remaining in the game.

A 15 yard return on the kickoff gave Oklahoma the ball from their 12 yard line, less than stellar positioning for the Sooners. Horn was a little shaken on the first play, tackled for a three yard loss to push Oklahoma closer to their goal line, but the positioning was short lived, Alexander connecting with Lewis for a 14 yard gain and a first down at the 23. A second 14 yard pass, this time to Smith, moved the chains further out to the 37 yard line. Alexander kept shredding our defense through the air, completing a 9 yard throw to Smith, followed by a 16 yard strike to Bean to move the sticks into our territory at our 38 yard line. After a dropped pass by Horn on first down, he redeemed himself with an 8 yard rush, followed by a 7 yard gain on the ground to get the first down at the 23. After an incomplete pass, Horn was able to pick up four yards on the ground, before Alexander converted the third down with a 13 yard pass to Rogers, setting Oklahoma up with first and goal from our 6 yard line. Dixon came out to run the ball on first down, picking up 5 yards on the carry. He tried to punch it in again, but was instead stood up for a two yard loss, leaving the Sooners facing third and goal from the three yard line. Third time would prove to be a charm for Dixon however, as he managed to find his way into the end zone for a three yard touchdown, opening Oklahoma’s lead up 35-21 with 5:52 remaining in the game.

No return on the kickoff left us starting at our 25 yard line with limited time and lots of points to make up. With 5:44 left to play, there was no secret we were coming out passing, making our job of defeating the defense that much more difficult. It didn’t help matters that the first down pass intended for Vaughn was way off target and incomplete, bringing up second and long right off the bat. Throwing deep down the right sideline, Stephens was able to connect with Hayden over the shoulder of the safety, the pass complete for a massive 46 yard gain and a first down at the Oklahoma 29 yard line, our hopes still hanging on by a thread. Lewis was briefly able to haul in the pass from Stephens, but a hit to the back by the cornerback knocked the ball loose and incomplete. Going right back to Lewis on the opposite sideline, he was able to pull in the pass from Stephens and hang on this time, complete for a 16 yard gain and a first down at the 13 yard line as the clock neared 5 minutes to play. A quick pass to a wide open Silva, who came out of the backfield and into the flats, was completed for an 11 yard gain, but Silva couldn’t quite make it into the end zone, brought down at the two yard line to set up first and goal. Handing the ball off to Oliver on first down, he was able to punch it in on his first down for a two yard touchdown, again cutting into Oklahoma’s lead, 35-28, with 4:37 left to play.

A 16 yard return on the kickoff gave Oklahoma the ball at their 20 yard line as they looked to score some insurance points. The first down passes from Alexander didn’t give too much promise as the ball intended for Smith was nearly intercepted, ending up incomplete to bring up second down. It would only get worse for the Sooners as Horn was tackled for a two yard loss, before a pass intended for Rogers sailed long and incomplete to bring up fourth and 12 from the 18. A four yard return by Hayden on the 44 yard punt gave us excellent field position, starting us from our 42 yard line with 3:59 remaining.

Hayden came through for us right away on first down, getting the safety to shade inside on the flag route, cutting out right into the path of the already coming football, catching it at the Oklahoma 40 yard line then racing the safety an additional 18 yards down to the Oklahoma 22 yard line, tackled for a gain of 36 yards. Trying to connect with Marcus Mullins over the middle, the middle linebacker was able to disrupt the play, bringing up second down. Vaughn kept us moving forward, able to haul in the pass on the comeback route while being hit by the safety, the pass good for a 15 yard gain to give us first and goal at the 6 yard line. With 3:28 left on the clock, we turned to the ground game to try and run off a bit of clock left available for Oklahoma’s next drive while trying to drive it home. Oliver initially was only able to gain one yard on the play, but defensive tackle Mark Jackson drag Oliver down by his facemask, damn near ripping his head off in the motion, the facemask penalty resulting in half the distance to the goal, giving us first and goal from the three yard line. Oliver took the handoff on first down, but was quickly stuffed for no gain. Silva came in on second down, picking up three yards on the play but stopped just short, leaving third and goal just inches away from the goal line. Silva tried a second time to punch it in, but the middle linebacker was able to blitz through untouched and tackle him for a two yard loss. That brought the entire game down to this one play, fourth and goal from the two yard line, one minute left on the clock. Handing the ball to Silva, the defense was able to break through again, tackling Silva for a one yard loss, forcing the turnover on downs and giving Oklahoma the ball at their three yard line with 33 seconds remaining.

Horn took the ball on first down, rushing for three yards, our second timeout taken with 30 seconds to go, doing nothing but delaying the inevitable. A 29 yard rush by Dixon sealed our fate, giving Oklahoma a first down at the 35 yard line, our final timeout taken with 24 seconds to go. A false start on the first down play resulted in the Sooners moving back 5 yards, leaving first and 15. Alexander took to a knee and the Sooners ran out the final 20 seconds, securing the 35-28 victory.

With the loss, we drop to 4-1, 1-0 in Big East action. With the win, Oklahoma improves to 2-1, 0-0 in Big 12 play. Up next, we finish off our three game road trip with a visit to the east coast to take on Connecticut. The Huskies enter 1-4, 0-1 in Big East action. UConn started their year with a 35-27 loss to Texas Tech, a 31-28 loss at Rice and a 34-22 loss to BYU. They finally broke into the win column with a 52-27 dismantling of Southern Miss, before losing 38-31 at Houston.

Final Score
    35, 28

Stat(s) of the Game:
    Tulsa Offense - A rather bad day for Stephens. Went 16-36 (44%, bad) for 397 yards (good) and three touchdowns (also good), but threw two interceptions, one that killed a potentially scoring drive, and one that set Oklahoma up with the ball on our doorstep (double bad). Rushing, an okay day for Oliver, ending with 104 yards and one touchdown on 20 carries. A bad day for Silva, ending with 20 yards on seven carries and failing three straight times to score from one yard out. Receiving, Vaughn led the way with 162 yards and a touchdown on four receptions. Hayden also had a good day with 114 yards on four receptions. In all, eight receivers recorded a reception today, seven ended up with double digit yards, Vaughn and Hayden the only two to reach triple digits, Vaughn, Lewis and Barnes all recording a touchdown.

Tulsa Defense – God awful. They did manage to make Oklahoma punt 5 times, did force one turnover by way of interception and did force a turnover on downs, but giving up 35 points, 544 yards of total offense and 202 yards rushing, while allowing Oklahoma to build up leads of 28-7 and 35-21, completely erased the good those punts, the interception and the turnover on downs did.

Tulsa Kicking – No perfect day this time for Glover, going 0-1 in field goals, bouncing a 48 yard attempt off the left upright. While it ultimately wouldn't have mattered if he made it or not, as we still would have been down four at the end and forced to go for the touchdown, every field goal should be made, especially ones lined up in the middle or even with the uprights. The only bright spot today was the 4-4 in PATs.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    0 7 7 14 28
    7 7 14 7 35

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    4:10 Touchdown E. Rogers, 35 yard pass from D. Alexander (K. Hines kick) 7-0
    Second Quarter
    1:50 Touchdown C. Horn, 4 yard run (K. Hines kick) 14-0
    1:06 Touchdown C. Barnes, 8 yard pass from B. Stephens (D. Glover kick) 14-7
    Third Quarter
    7:08 Touchdown C. Horn, 10 yard run (K. Hines kick) 21-7
    3:19 Touchdown C. Bean, 6 yard pass from D. Alexander (K. Hines kick) 28-7
    2:21 Touchdown J. Vaughn, 26 yard pass from B. Stephens (D. Glover kick) 28-14
    Fourth Quarter
    8:45 Touchdown R. Lewis, 22 yard pass from B. Stephens (D. Glover kick) 28-21
    5:52 Touchdown R. Dixon, 3 yard run (K. Hines kick) 35-21
    4:37 Touchdown W. Oliver, 2 yard run (D. Glover kick) 35-28

Game Stats

Tulsa Stat Oklahoma
    28 Score 35
    20 First Downs 29
    514 Total Offense 544
    28 - 117 - 1 Rushes - Yards - TD 46 - 202 - 3
    16 - 36 - 3 Comp - Att - TD 23 - 44 - 2
    397 Passing Yards 342
    1 Times Sacked 2
    5 - 11 (45%) 3rd Down Conversion 11 - 18 (61%)
    0 - 1 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 1 - 2 (50%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    7 - 2 - 0 (28%) Red Zone - TD - FG 6 - 3 - 0 (50%)
    2 Turnovers 1
    0 Fumbles Lost 0
    2 Intercepted 1
    21 Punt Return Yards 8
    40 Kick Return Yards 31
    575 Total Yards 583
    4 – 47.3 Punts - Average 5 - 46.2
    4 - 38 Penalties 5 - 38
    18:08 Time of Possession 17:52

Tulsa Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    21+ points per game in each season 39
    Win 10 games in one season 4
    3300+ passing yards each season
    65% pass completions over the entire contract 59%
    Win 6 games in one season
    15+ rushing TD in each season 11
    3200+ total offensive yards each season 2348
    3400+ total offensive yards each season 2348

Job Security Status

64%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 06-27-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Taking a look around the nation, in the Top 25, #1 Nebraska finally meets their match, as the #24 Ohio State Buckeyes head into the cornfields and upset the Huskers 34-21. Nebraska led 21-10 midway through the third quarter, until Ohio State reeled of 24 straight points in the third and fourth quarters to get the win. #2 Penn State stakes their claim on the top ranking, beating Illinois 35-28. #3 Virginia Tech stays perfect with a 45-22 win over #16 Clemson, dropping the Tigers to 0-4.

#4 Auburn doubles up Florida 48-24. #5 Notre Dame embarrasses Massachusetts 49-0. #6 Arkansas tops Texas A&M 42-10. #7 Miami gets a 35-13 win over #10 NC State, handing the Wolfpack their first defeat. #8 Georgia escapes with a 24-21 win over #22 Texas Tech. South Florida hands #9 Cincinnati their first loss of the year, 24-10.
    #13 Iowa thrashes Minnesota 56-17. #15 Oregon steamrolls UCLA 51-17.

Colorado State knocks off #17 San Diego State 14-13, knocking another team from the ranks of the unbeaten. USC upsets #18 Utah, 28-21. #20 Alabama survives Ole Miss 38-31 in overtime. #23 West Virginia takes down Kansas 28-12. The Mountaineers were only winning 14-6 at halftime and 14-12 in the early fourth quarter, before scoring twice in the final 5 minutes to pull away. #25 Wisconsin fights off Michigan 39-35.

For our readers, souljahbill, Southern Miss improves to 3-1 (1-0 C-USA) with a 38-34 win over Tulane. Southern Miss needed two fourth quarter touchdowns to come from behind and get the win. Jaymo, Arizona State improves to 2-3 (1-1 Pac-12), with a 31-28 win over Colorado, scoring the game-winner with 1:16 left to play. Mors, #23 West Virginia improves to 3-2 (2-1 Big 12) with a 28-12 win over Kansas. Jeff, #24 Ohio State improves to 3-2 (2-0 Big Ten) with their second straight top 10 upset, this time 34-21 over #1 Nebraska. Other teams of interest, Arkansas State remains 2-2 (0-0 Sun Belt) with a bye week.

In Big East action, Oklahoma beats Tulsa 35-28, SMU beats TCU 38-21, Central Florida tops Navy 28-21, Houston edges out Connecticut 38-31, South Florida takes down #9 Cincinnati 24-10, East Carolina rolls Memphis 52-28, Fresno State beats Temple 24-17 and Southern Miss tops Tulane 38-34.

Taking a look at the new Top 25 Coaches Poll, Penn State (34 first place votes) climbs one to #1, Virginia Tech (23 votes) climbs one to #2, Auburn (3 votes) climbs one to #3, Notre Dame (1 vote) jumps one to #4 and Arkansas moves up one to #5. Miami climbs one to #6, Georgia jumps one to #7, Nebraska drops seven to #8, Texas climbs two to #9 and LSU moves up two to #10. Iowa jumps two to #11, Tennessee climbs two to #12, Rutgers leaps eight to #13, Oregon moves up one to #14 and NC State drops five to #15. Oklahoma State climbs three to #16, Alabama moves up three to #17, Ohio State leaps six to #18, West Virginia climbs four to #19 and USC enters the poll at #20. Cincinnati plummets twelve to #21, Georgia Tech enters the poll at #22, Wisconsin moves up two to #23, Utah falls six to #24 and Texas Tech (247 points) drops three to #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Clemson (from #16) (only took an 0-4 start for them to finally drop out) and San Diego State (from #17). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, San Diego State (233 points) is #26, followed by Oklahoma (182) Clemson (115) (0-4 on the season and still getting 115 points in the polls ), SMU (92) and Eastern Michigan (44) to round out the Top 30. Other teams getting votes this week includes Florida (29).

Looking at the new Top 25 Media Poll, Penn State (38 first place votes) moves up one to #1, Virginia Tech (21 votes) climbs one to #2, Notre Dame (5 votes) climbs one to #3, Auburn (1 vote) jumps one to #4 and Arkansas moves up one to #5. Georgia climbs one to #6, Miami jumps two to #7, LSU remains #8, Nebraska drops eight to #9 and Texas remains #10. Ohio State vaults eleven to #11, Iowa remains #12, Oregon remains #13, Tennessee jumps one to #14 and Oklahoma State climbs three to #15. NC State falls two to #16, Alabama climbs three to #17, Texas Tech drops one to #18, Rutgers enters the poll at #19 and USC enters the poll at #20. Oklahoma climbs three to #21, West Virginia enters the poll at #22, Cincinnati drops twelve to #23, Wisconsin climbs one to #24 and Utah (167 points) drops four to #25. Dropping out of the poll this week were Clemson (from #16), San Diego State (from #19) and Florida (from #23). Looking at Others Receiving Votes, Georgia Tech (129 points) is #26, followed by San Diego State (123), Pittsburgh (38), Arizona (8) and Clemson (4) (0-4 on the season and still getting 4 points in the polls ) to round out the Top 30.

Taking a look at the Heisman race,
    Iowa QB Drew Frederick is #1 (LW: #3), Notre Dame QB J.R. White is #2 (LW: #2), Auburn QB J.J. Thomas is #3 (LW: #1), Georgia Tech HB Brandon Terrell is #4 (LW: NR) and Arkansas QB John Rivera is #5 (LW: #4). Dropping off of the Heisman Watch list this week was Nebraska HB Ronnie Mayfield (LW: #5).