Page 25 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    You can't even be promoted from within? That seems like an unnecessary restriction. I can see going from FIU to FSU but I, personally, wouldn't limit an in-house promotion.
    Nope, unfortunately not. From the way I set up my job advancement rules, I'm not allowed to be a head coach, anywhere in the country, even at FIU, until after 6 or 7 years as a coordinator. I don't want to become a head coach and rise up the coaching ranks too quickly, so I have very strict standards and rules to keep this dynasty going slow and long.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    My gosh Smooth. Your visuals are absolutely fantastic. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your notes. If there were any justice in this world, Tiburon would hire you tomorrow!
    I accept! I actually had to cut some stuff out of that post. I usually give a run down of all the teams changing offenses, the biggest changes (Spread or Air Raid to Option, etc), but it had already taken an hour and a half to do just the coaching carousel, it was almost 11pm, and I had to get some stuff lined up for work in the morning, so I didn't have the time to keep going. I had to cut it off at coaching carousel, otherwise there would have been even more time and effort put into that post.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Add WVU cleans house. Wow. Funny enough, I could truthfully see that happening in a few years. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone knows that this setup with Holgorsen at HC isn't going to last very many years because he's going to get an offer from a bigger school sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    You must be majorly detail obsessed to have the patience to document all of the Coordinator moves.

Tulsa's a blast if you play with their default playbook.
    Alright Jeff, go ahead and call me majorly detail obsessed again.

Last year, myself and mors worked together to create a spreadsheet with all the real head coaches and coordinators for each school, as well as the alma maters for all head coaches. Well, I just took that spreadsheet, copied it and set up a NCAA 2013 spreadsheet. I then jumped back on NCAA '12, simmed my dynasty up to the preseason for the 2014 season, and spent the last two hours going through team by team, updating the coaches (HC and both coordinators) for every team and typing down the in-game alma maters for every coach.

After going through the time it took to do the coaching carousel last night, it just wasn't going to feel right not having accurate and correct coach listings in NCAA '13, so now it'll just be the matter of typing in all the coach names and setting all their "correct" alma maters in '13, once I get done downloading it on season ticket.

I had a blast doing that. There's just something about doing something like that that really appeals to me. If only I could find a job that was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post

I had a blast doing that. There's just something about doing something like that that really appeals to me. If only I could find a job that was like that.
    Yeah, that was a lot of fun. I still have the NCAA '12 spreadsheet saved in Google Docs, it's just not updated at all since we got done with it last year. The spreadsheet I just spent two hours working on is updated with coaches and alma maters at the beginning of the 2014 season in my NCAA '12 dynasty, which is where I'm picking up in NCAA '13.

+1 with both of you. While I don't have the time (well, I do, but I know there are things I need to do with that time), I would love to spend my days doing something like the work I did for my 1995 Buckeyes. While not the same as your spreadsheet, the concept is similar -- detail-oriented, realistic, fun for only but a few of us

My gosh Smooth. Your visuals are absolutely fantastic. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your notes. If there were any justice in this world, Tiburon would hire you tomorrow!
    Holy crap, don't quote it!!!!!!!!
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Okay Smooth, it's official... you are now the OC at Tulsa. Once I start my dynasty I will let you know how it goes.

Okay Smooth, it's official... you are now the OC at Tulsa. Once I start my dynasty I will let you know how it goes.
    Sweet! Appreciate it man! I'm looking forward to hearing how things go.

As for getting my dynasty running again, it should hopefully be before the end of next week. I need to still get all the coaches named and their alma maters set, and then waiting for steeler's sliders for 13.

I don't know if I'll get any work on coaches tonight. Walking Dead marathon is going until 1am before picking back up at 11:30 tomorrow morning, so I might be able to get some work in when I wake up tomorrow morning, otherwise it'll be Monday before I get to really sit down and start knocking out the coach information.

I probably won't be getting online at all today, as it's been hot as hell today, getting up to 106 just a couple hours ago and even with the AC running 24/7, the entire house feels like a sauna. It's still gotta be probably over 90 degrees in most rooms, the heat is just so oppressive. So the desire to want to even do anything besides just lay here in front of the TV is almost nil. I've been rarely getting on the laptop at all today just because it means sitting up and having the hot as hell laptop sitting on my lap, making it feel even hotter than it already is.

I gotta say, while I haven't looked in the game, I just pulled up the Teambuilder website while sitting here watching The Walking Dead. I'm gonna love these uniform options for Tulsa.

With Florida International, the only uniform option I had was changing my navy blue jersey to a black jersey. With Tulsa, I've got blue and gold helmets, blue and yellow jerseys, and white, gold, blue and yellow pants.

While I have never been one for getting worked up about uniforms (unlike ram ), having that many choices and potential combinations to mix and match for games, it's gonna be very nice to have to keep things looking fresh in games during my multiple seasons at Tulsa instead of just deciding between navy blue and black jerseys like I had at FIU.

I'm totally looking forward to this. Long time reader, first time poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin32 View Post
    I'm totally looking forward to this. Long time reader, first time poster.
    I'm glad you like it Kingpin! I'm totally looking forward to where the future takes me in this, so it should be a wild ride for both of us. Hope you keep enjoying it!

As for the dynasty, still on hold, and looks like it might be on hold for a little bit. I'm only done naming the head coaches. Still have all the OC and DC coaches to name and set their Alma Maters.

Also, it could be a little bit before some refined and true sliders will be out from . He's only in the initial stages of finding some AA sliders right now, though I'm hearing from someone else that Heisman this year isn't cheap and doesn't cheat like hell like in the past, and apparently defense and zones play somewhat decently on Heisman, so I might have to do some comparisons between whatever AA sliders steeler comes up with and the Heisman sliders someone is using and working on.

Finally, I could be sitting and waiting for a patch. There are some issues with dynasty in '13. Apparently, the Proximity to Home pitch is ALWAYS A+ for every team for every recruit, regardless of what the actual distance and proximity to home actually is for each recruit and school. Even worse, the Playing Time pitch is bugged, showing correctly whatever it is when you are calling a recruit, but when you go to set up a visit (either in-home visit or campus visit, whatever the hell it is this year), the Playing Time pitch ALWAYS shows up as a D+. So those are two issues I think I might end up having to wait to get patched as both would have big effects on recruiting (Proximity in my favor, but Playing Time completely fucking me).

So I'll have to see how things look as the week progresses, but it could be a little bit yet before this gets fired back up with the move to Tulsa.

Now that Rastas are out, you goin' to start a new thread or just continue on with this one?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Now that Rastas are out, you goin' to start a new thread or just continue on with this one?
    Actually, rastas have never been a problem. What I'm doing is basically "continuing" my dynasty from NCAA '12 to NCAA '13. I wrapped up the 2013 season with the last season of my contract at FIU, and was/am going into the 2014 season with the move to Tulsa.

So what I did and am doing, I just auto-named the rosters in '13 and am going through naming all the coaches and setting their Alma Maters to exactly what they were in my dynasty after the coaching carousel at the end of the 2013 season. I have all the head coaches and offensive coordinators and their Alma Maters named and set. I just have the defensive coordinators to do.

After I get done with the coaches, I'm mainly waiting for sliders from Steeler, though I have heard a lot about Heisman being good this year, so I may test out some Heisman sliders and see what I come up with.

Other than finishing up the defensive coordinators and sliders, the only issue will be the two dynasty problems: Proximity to Home being A+ for everyone, know matter where your school is and where the recruit lives, and Playing Time, with the grade showing correctly when recruiting the guy, but when you set up an in-home visit or campus visit (whichever exactly it is), Playing Time always shows up as D+.

So I've got to either decide if I feel like starting up the dynasty with those two problems and just deal with it until a future patch corrects it (which means I could get the dynasty started possibly as soon as this weekend, depending on how long it takes with sliders), or hold off on the dynasty until the two dynasty issues get patched (which could be a month or two). So I'll have to give it some thought. But everything is going to remain in this same thread. It's going to be like I'm just continuing my dynasty moving on from FIU to Tulsa in this thread, but I'll also be moving from NCAA '12 to NCAA '13 in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Other than finishing up the defensive coordinators and sliders, the only issue will be the two dynasty problems: Proximity to Home being A+ for everyone, know matter where your school is and where the recruit lives, and Playing Time, with the grade showing correctly when recruiting the guy, but when you set up an in-home visit or campus visit (whichever exactly it is), Playing Time always shows up as D+.
    FWIW, those problems are reportedly only in the offseason, so you may be able to start your dynasty and just not advance past the CCG until after we hear news of a patch.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    FWIW, those problems are reportedly only in the offseason, so you may be able to start your dynasty and just not advance past the CCG until after we hear news of a patch.
    Now that I did not know. I'll have to test it out this weekend and see if I can confirm that. If so, as soon as I have defensive coordinators finished and sliders set, I'll be starting immediately. Thanks for letting me know that Jeff! Appreciate the heads up.

Now that I did not know. I'll have to test it out this weekend and see if I can confirm that. If so, as soon as I have defensive coordinators finished and sliders set, I'll be starting immediately. Thanks for letting me know that Jeff! Appreciate the heads up.
    Screw that! You have PC games to play damn it!

Screw that! You have PC games to play damn it!
    I was playing PC games this morning. Have already played CKII for about 8 hours. Have absolutely no clue what the hell I'm doing, but then, I never bothered to read any manuals or starters guides, nor play the Tutorial, just jumped right in. Give it another go later today.

I was playing PC games this morning. Have already played CKII for about 8 hours. Have absolutely no clue what the hell I'm doing, but then, I never bothered to read any manuals or starters guides, nor play the Tutorial, just jumped right in. Give it another go later today.

Like I said man, I played it for like two days and had not a fuckin' clue what I was doing. It's the most complex strategy game I've ever played. I've read tutorials. I've read tip guides. I've read wikis. I still don't have a fuckin' clue how to play that game.

Like I said man, I played it for like two days and had not a fuckin' clue what I was doing. It's the most complex strategy game I've ever played. I've read tutorials. I've read tip guides. I've read wikis. I still don't have a fuckin' clue how to play that game.
    I wish my Windows laptop was working. I would totally play that game.