Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    A look at the national scene. In the Top 25, what an ending. #1 Wisconsin improves to 7-0 as they escape 5-3 North Carolina, 24-17. UNC was winning 17-10 in the early fourth quarter, before the Badgers scored with 9:11 left to play to tie it up, and then with 2:51 left in the game, they returned a fumble 20 yards to score the game winning touchdown. That would have been a great one to watch. Elsewhere, #2 Alabama (8-0) outscores Tennessee (4-4) 17-7 in the second half to win 37-21. #3 Penn State improves to 7-0 for the year, breaking open a 13-13 tie in the late 3rd quarter to beat #25 Nebraska (4-3), 20-16.

In the game of the week, #4 Mississippi State (7-0) shellacks #7 LSU (5-2), 33-0. #6 Ohio State (7-0) scores 13 points in the fourth quarter to pull away from Purdue (1-6) for a 43-28 win. #8 Boise State moves to 5-1 for the season, beating #15 Connecticut (4-2), 35-21. #9 TCU (6-2) destroyed #10 Baylor (4-4), 52-13. #22 Illinois (5-1) whoops #12 Iowa (5-2), 55-24. Miami (FL) (6-1) upsets #21 Georgia Tech (4-3), 34-28. #23 Clemson (5-2) escapes Wake Forest (3-5) 36-34 after a 2-point try by Wake Forest with 3:28 left to play fails. San Diego State (3-3) knocks off #24 USF (3-3), 35-21.

For our readers, Mors, would you look at that, West Virginia gets their second win of the year to improve to 2-7, defeating an 0-8 Syracuse team on the road 25-12. Jaymo, unfortunately it's more bad news, as Arizona State drops to 1-7 (1-4 in the Pac-12) with a 38-17 loss to 5-2 Oregon State. Looking ahead in the schedule, both teams have bye weeks next week. Arizona State's next game is in week 11 at home against 4-3 UCLA (who still has a game yet with Cal before ASU). West Virginia's off for two weeks, as their next game isn't until week 12, when they face a currently 1-5 Cincinnati (who still has games against Boise State and at Louisville). Based on that, Cincinnati will be either 2-6 or 1-7 going into the West Virginia game.

And Mors, I see now why West Virginia sucks so bad. Their defense is worse than MINE! West Virginia ranks #119 in Total Defense, #120 in Rush Defense and #117 in Pass Defense. They have a good offense, #8 Total Offense, #52 Rush Offense and #21 Pass Offense. It's just their defense is pretty much the worst in the entire NCAA. Arizona State is nearly as bad, ranking #115 in Total Defense, #114 in Rush Defense and #114 in Pass Defense. ASU's offense is ranked #29 in Total Offense, #25 in Rush Offense and #69 in Pass Offense.

Meanwhile, it's going to get very interesting in these coming weeks. Wisconsin #1, Penn State #4, Ohio State #5, all 7-0. Alabama #3 and 8-0, Mississippi State (who jumped Penn State and Alabama after week 9) #2 and 7-0. Some great games about to happen. Looking at the schedules, Wisconsin and Ohio State have a showdown in Wisconsin in week 10, Wisconsin plays at Penn State in week 12, Penn State plays at Ohio State in week 11. Alabama plays at #11 LSU in week 10 and at #2 Mississippi State in week 11. Mississippi State follows up Alabama at #9 Arkansas the next week. Add in Oklahoma at #6 (6-0) with games at #7 TCU in week 12, and at #13 Oklahoma State in week 15, this is going to be an exciting 6 weeks.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-22-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Nice win man! Way to pull it out. Sad to see that, like me, you end up just throwing the ball 50-70 times a game because of how inconsistent the running game can be with any team with a below average offensive line. It's the most disappointing thing about this game when compared to real life considering FIU has always been a run first team and, out of the shotgun almost exclusively, they've been damn talented at it during their time in the FBS.

I knew it was gonna happen to WVU. It happens to them EVERY time because of the 3-3-5 defense (which I'm sure they're still doing). The CPU doesn't know how to draft for that defense worth a fuck and hasn't since they added it to the game. You need speed at the rover position more than anything and they NEVER get the top speed guy for that position (or move him there if he's at another position). Or, worse, they play freakin' man coverage out of it 95% of the time, like a complete jackass (I'm sure you've seen something similar with FIU's 3-3-5) when it's basically a cover 2/3 defense 95% of the time.

I'm about to go play game #2 of my dynasty with these guys against Louisville. Probably gonna get throttled, but we'll see.

Well, I lost a heartbreaker against them 24-21 at their place. Had 100+ yards rushing but it's one of those instances where I throw the ball and run playaction so much, I get big gains out of the running game because they are expecting the pass so much. 3 INTs, two in the redzone REALLY killed me. Easily 6-14 points left on the board because of it. Felt good though to lose like that. I lost the game with poor passing by me (and, of course, the dumb ass CPU playing cover 0 with 4 seconds left before the half and giving Louisville a 70 yard bomb TD to tie it up at halftime (rolls eyes)).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Nice win man! Way to pull it out. Sad to see that, like me, you end up just throwing the ball 50-70 times a game because of how inconsistent the running game can be with any team with a below average offensive line. It's the most disappointing thing about this game when compared to real life considering FIU has always been a run first team and, out of the shotgun almost exclusively, they've been damn talented at it during their time in the FBS.

I knew it was gonna happen to WVU. It happens to them EVERY time because of the 3-3-5 defense (which I'm sure they're still doing). The CPU doesn't know how to draft for that defense worth a fuck and hasn't since they added it to the game. You need speed at the rover position more than anything and they NEVER get the top speed guy for that position (or move him there if he's at another position). Or, worse, they play freakin' man coverage out of it 95% of the time, like a complete jackass (I'm sure you've seen something similar with FIU's 3-3-5) when it's basically a cover 2/3 defense 95% of the time.

I'm about to go play game #2 of my dynasty with these guys against Louisville. Probably gonna get throttled, but we'll see.
    Yeah, I'm missing the days of the first season, when it was my passing game that was worthless, but the running game was beastly. Give the ball to Darriet Perry and let him go to town. But, still an incredible win that I still don't know how I managed to pull off. After Troy scored that TD right before halftime, I thought that was it. They had a 28-17 lead going into the half and then were getting the ball right back to start the second half. They'd be up 35-17 and I'd be lucky just to keep it within 14. But then, somehow, our defense stopped sucking and managed to stop the Troy offense, which considering they have the #1 passing offense in the nation, is miraculous by itself.

The only question in this win, is this a condemnation of the Sun Belt Conference as a whole? I get my butt whooped by the likes of Texas A&M, Louisville, UCF, and Washington, but am able to dominate at least half the Sun Belt (UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, MTSU, Western Kentucky), and at least compete with the other half (Arkansas State, FAU, North Texas, Troy) for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Well, I lost a heartbreaker against them 24-21 at their place. Had 100+ yards rushing but it's one of those instances where I throw the ball and run playaction so much, I get big gains out of the running game because they are expecting the pass so much. 3 INTs, two in the redzone REALLY killed me. Easily 6-14 points left on the board because of it. Felt good though to lose like that. I lost the game with poor passing by me (and, of course, the dumb ass CPU playing cover 0 with 4 seconds left before the half and giving Louisville a 70 yard bomb TD to tie it up at halftime (rolls eyes)).
    Yeah, I can't begin to count how many games I might have won in the past had I not been screwed by 2 or 3 or more interceptions. Those things really slaughter you.

I'm done playing the UL Monroe game, have everything typed up and ready to post. But before I start simulating national match-ups, something that caught my eye first, good lord what a heck of a race going on in the BCS.

Game Seven

Game Notes

--- Fresh off our upset victory over Troy last week, it was back to the friendly confines of home as we welcomed Louisiana-Monroe to town. The Warhawks entered the game with a 3-3 record, 1-1 in the Sun Belt Conference, and coming off a 36-13 win against Tulane. One thing of note regarding their record, ULM came into the game 3-0 at home, but 0-3 on the road, which bode well for us. Weather would have a potential effect on the game today as it was a torrential downpour going on at kickoff. We won the coin toss and elected to kick, putting our defense on the spot to get us started off.

From the start, it appeared we might be destined for another shootout. After a 28 yard kickoff return set the Warhawks up at their own 30 yard line, Kolton Browning got the offense moving with a 13 yard pass on second and 10 to Jyruss Edwards, giving ULM a first down at their own 43. After a 7 yard rush by Edwards, Browning found Jeron Jabour for a 14 yard gain, advancing the ball to our own 36 yard line. Our defense started to make a stand, sacking Browning for a 10 yard loss on first down. Browning was able to recover 6 yards on second down to set up third and 14, which was erased with a 16 yard pass to Edwards to give the Warhawks a new set of downs at our 25 yard line. An 8 yard pass to Justin Ginyard and a 1 yard pass to Luke Russell left ULM with third and 1, to which Browning would convert himself with a 5 yard gain for first down at our 11 yard line. A 10 yard rush by Edwards gave Monroe second and inches at our 1 yard line, but they would go backwards from there, as Edwards was tackled for a loss of 4 yards, and then an incomplete pass on third and 4 from the 5 yard line brought the field goal unit out on the field. We would catch a huge break as the 22 yard field goal attempt by Chris Grant was hooked wide, ending the ULM drive with no points.

Starting on our first offensive series of the game on our own 20 yard line, our offense was fired up after the stand by our defense, and that fire proved its worth as we needed just two plays to score. After Storm Johnson got things started off with a 10 yard gain up the middle for a first down, it was Johnson who would put us on the scoreboard first, as he was able to turn the corner off the right tackle, broke through two tackle attempts by the ULM secondary, and outraced the rest of the Warhawks defense 70 yards for a touchdown, giving us a 7-0 lead with 5:39 left to play in the first quarter. That touchdown seemed to break the spirits of the ULM offense early on, as Browning was tackled for a loss of 3 yards on first down, pushing the Warhawks back to their own 16 yard line. After an incomplete pass left ULM facing third and 13, Browning made the first mistake of the game, as corner Derrick Jones intercepted Browning on a misfired pass, giving our offense the ball back at the ULM 23 yard line. We immediately put the ball back into Johnson’s hands, as he picked on gains of 5 and 6 yards to give us a first down at the UL Monroe 11 yard line. An 8 yard rush on first down got the ball down to the 3 yard line, before a 1 yard rush left us facing third and 1 from the 2 yard line. Johnson wouldn’t need the first down, instead squeezing through a gap before the defense could get to him for a 2 yard touchdown run, giving us a 14-0 lead with 3:20 left to play in the first quarter. A 14 point lead on only seven plays of offense, every one of those seven coming via Johnson and the rushing game.

Starting their next drive on the 16 yard line, the Warhawks seemed completely lost on offense now, nothing like the offense that showed up on their first offensive series, as a pass to Devontae McNeal for 1 yard would be all they would gain, as two incomplete passes brought the drive to an end and brought the punt team onto the field. An 8 yard return by Johnson on the 48 yard punt gave our offense the ball at our own 42 yard line for the next series. Living by the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mantra, Johnson again took the ball on the ground, managing to pick up 6 yards after spinning off of two would-be tackles to leave us with second and 4. The Warhawks defense finally managed to find a way to stop Johnson, tackling him for only a gain of one yard, leaving us with third and 3 at the 49 yard line, bringing about our first pass attempt of the game on our tenth offensive play of the game. The Warhawks seemed to believe that we were going to try to run again (after nine straight rushes to start the game, can’t fault them for that logic), but instead were left scrambling to chase down Dominique Rhymes, who caught a pass from Jake Medlock and picked up 42 yards before being tackled at the ULM 9 yard line. The Warhawks were still ready for our running game, as Johnson was tackled on first and goal for no gain, bringing about the return of our passing game. Unfortunately, two incomplete passes would keep us out of the end zone a third time, leaving Yusef Hagen to kick a 26 yard field goal to give us a 17-0 lead with 47 seconds left in the first quarter.

Louisiana-Monroe wasted no time in finding their way onto the scoreboard, as Tavarese Maye took the kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown, breaking four tackles along the way, to make it 17-7 with 21 seconds left in the quarter. Johnson returned the ensuing kickoff for 28 yards to set us up at our own 35 yard line with 9 seconds left on the clock. Knowing the Warhawks were finally beginning to anticipate the rush, we went instantly to the air on first down, as Medlock found Rhymes for a 26 yard gain to give us first down at the ULM 39 yard line as the clock ran out, bringing about the end of the first quarter with a 17-7 lead.

The start of the second quarter, we decided to take a chance again on the ground, and see if a couple of consecutive passes would be enough to make the ULM defense back off our run game. The ploy failed as Johnson was tackled for no gain, signaling the end of the mass success our running game had enjoyed for most of the first quarter. Johnson still made himself useful however, as on the next play, a blitz by the safety, and a failed cutback by the covering linebacker left Johnson completely uncovered coming over the middle, allowing him to catch the pass from Medlock and race down to the ULM 7 yard line for a 31 yard gain before finally being brought down. Johnson kept his offensive display going as he caught a 7 yard pass from Medlock at the one yard line, and after being stood up by three ULM defenders, was able to get just enough momentum to fall forward into the end zone for a 7 yard touchdown pass, giving us a 24-7 lead with 8:14 left to play in the first half.

The Warhawks offense seemed to finally find life of its own after a 20 yard kickoff return set them up at their own 26 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down, Edwards picked up 7 yards on the ground before Browning converted the third down with a 26 yard pass to Russell, giving ULM first down at our own 41 yard line. A 7 yard pass to Kevin Steed was followed up with a 12 yard pass to Maye, and a 17 yard pass to Ginyard to give Louisiana-Monroe first and goal from our 5 yard line. Browning would find Edwards on the next play for a 5 yard touchdown pass to make it 24-14 with 6:37 left in the second quarter. A 26 yard kickoff return set our offense up for its next drive at the 30 yard line. While ULM had been able to adjust to our running game, they had not succeeded in adjusting to our passing game, as Medlock found Rhymes for a 21 yard gain to give us a first down at the ULM 49 yard line. On the next play, Willis Wright got in on the receiving action, hauling in a 29 yard pass along the right hash marks to give us first down at the 20 yard line. An 18 yard pass to Rhymes, threaded perfectly between two of ULM’s linebackers left us with first and goal at the 2 yard line. After two rushes for no gain and 1 yard by Johnson, he was finally able to break into the end zone for his third rushing touchdown of the day, getting enough momentum to run through a tackle and fall forward for a 2 yard touchdown rush, giving us a 31-14 lead with 4:27 left in the second quarter.

The Warhawks meanwhile were not discouraged, as the trotted on the field to begin their next drive at the 22 yard line. Rushes for 9 and 5 yards by Edwards got them off and rolling, followed by a 15 yard pass to Steed to give their offense a first down at the 50 yard line. Another 5 yard rush by Edwards set up Browning for a 14 yard pass to Edwards to gain another first down at our 31 yard line. After an incomplete pass and 3 yard rush by Browning left the ‘Hawks facing third and 7, Edwards picked up another first down with an 8 yard rush down to our 19 yard line. An incomplete pass and 3 yard rush by Edwards left ULM facing third and 7 at our 16 yard line, before the defense got flagged for being offside, leaving third and 2, to which Edwards converted with a 6 yard rush down to our 5 yard line. Browning would need only one more play, running the ball in for a 5 yard touchdown to make it 31-21 with 1:52 left in the half.

After an incomplete pass on first down from our 21 yard line, Medlock found Wright for a 29 yard gain to give us a new set of downs at the ULM 49 yard line with 1:30 left. On the next play, Medlock was able to break free from one tackle attempt, before a blitzing linebacker took him down before he could get the ball released. Medlock fumbled on the play, and replays showed it was a fumble caused by the ground and that Medlock was already down before the fumble, but the attempt by Coach Cristobal to call a coach’s challenge was denied by the referee and ULM kept the ball on an extremely controversial call. After an incomplete pass on first down, Edwards picked up 8 yards on the ground before Browning found Russell for a 5 yard gain to give ULM a first down at our 25 yard line. A 20 yard pass to Centarius Donald left the Warhawks with first and goal at our 5. Browning was sacked for a 2 yard loss on first down, but quickly recovered to throw a 7 yard touchdown pass to Edwards to make it 31-27 with 29 seconds left in the half.

A touchback on the kickoff left us with just 21 seconds and the ball on our 20 yard line. With 3 timeouts still, we decided to take a chance and try to get some points before half. After a dropped pass on first down, Wright was able to get just enough separation from his defender to catch a pass for a gain of 39 yards to give us first down at the ULM 41 yard line with 9 seconds left to play. Another completion to Wright, for 29 yards, left us with first down at the ULM 12 yard line with 4 seconds to play. Coach Cristobal sent the field goal unit onto the field, but the 29 yard field goal attempt from the right hash mark was shanked sharply wide left, sending us into the locker room with a 31-28 lead.

Even though the missed field goal just before halftime ending the first half on a sour note, we still has positive outlooks as we received the ball to start the second half, starting our first second half series at the 22 yard line. Trying to get something going on the ground again, Johnson was able to pick up 9 yards on first down, before gaining another first down with a 3 yard rush out to our 35 yard line. After an 8 yard rush left us with second and 2, ULM came out in what was essentially an 8-1-2 defense, but it still wasn’t enough as Johnson was able to gain 3 yards for another first down at the 46 yard line. After a 3 yard rush on first down, we went back to the passing game. On second and 7, Johnson caught a pass coming immediately out of the backfield, in the process managing to high-step through what would have been a tackle for a 3 yard loss, instead using blocking from our receivers along the right sideline to turn it into a 26 yard gain and give us first down at the ULM 24 yard line. Returning to the ground game, Darrian Mallary picked up 8 yards on first down, before Johnson converted with a 9 yard rush to give us first and goal at the ULM 8 yard line. Johnson kept his plowing routine going, picking up 4 yards on first down to get us down to the 4 yard line. A 1 yard gain by Johnson would leave us with third and goal at the 3 yard line, before a pass attempt to Wayne Times in the right corner of the end zone ended up batted down, forcing us to settle for a 20 yard field goal to make it 34-28 with 4:48 left in the third quarter.

Despite a 24 yard kickoff return out the Warhawks’ 22 yard line, it was nothing be reverse for their offense, as Edwards was twice tackled for a loss of 3 yards, followed by an incomplete pass on third down to bring out the punt team. A 14 yard return by Johnson gave our offense a new series at the ULM 45 yard line. Johnson would only need one play to find the end zone, as another 7 man blitz by ULM was spread outside to our flanks by the offensive line, leaving Johnson with a massive hole up the middle, needing only to break a tackle by the middle linebacker before outrunning the safety for a 45 yard touchdown to give us a 41-28 lead with 3:50 left in the third. It would only get worse for the Warhawks after that. After a 1 yard rush out to their own 18 yard line, Browning fumbled the ball while attempting to release a pass, which was promptly pounced on by defensive tackle Joshua Forney, giving us the ball back at the ULM 15 yard line. Breaking his tenth tackle of the game, Johnson eclipsed the 200 yard plateau with an 8 yard rush to give us second and 2 at the ULM 6 yard line. With some assistance from the Warhawks defense, who dragged and rolled him forward in their tackle attempts, Johnson was able to pick up 4 yards to give us first and goal at the 2 yard line. Johnson would find the end zone for his fifth rushing touchdown the game the very next play, falling forward through a tackle for a 3 yard touchdown to give us a 48-28 lead with 2:38 left in the third quarter. With that touchdown, Johnson set a new school record for most rushing touchdowns in a game, breaking the old record of 4 set by Rashod Smith back in 2004 against Stephen F. Austin. That was also Johnson’s sixth touchdown for the entire game, with him being personally responsible for all six of our touchdowns for the day to this point.

ULM’s offense would again falter with little or no success. After an incomplete pass on first down, Browning would find Steed for an 8 yard gain to get the Warhawks out to their 30 yard line, but a loss of 3 yards by Edwards would force them to punt on fourth and 5. A 5 yard return by Johnson set us up at our own 38 yard line with 1:51 left in the third quarter. The ULM defense seemed all but completely defeated, as Johnson picked up 11 yards on the ground on first down to give us another first at the 48 yard line. We would cross into Louisiana-Monroe territory yet again on the next play as Johnson broke two tackles on a pitch around the left tackle, picking up 33 yards before being tackled at the 19 yard line. A 1 yard rush by Johson, a 4 yard pickup by Mallary and a 3 yard rush by Johnson would bring the final seconds off the clock, ending the third quarter with a 48-28 lead.

We started the fourth quarter with fourth and 2 at the ULM 11 yard line and Hagen kicking a 28 yard field goal to give us a 51-28 lead just seconds into the fourth quarter. The Warhawks would finally find life once again on offense. Starting at their own 21 yard line, Browning immediately connected with Steed for a 17 yard gain, followed by a 23 yard pass to Jabour to give them first down at our 38 yard line. Two dropped passes and a 1 yard pass to Edwards left the Warhawks facing fourth and 9 at our 37 yard line, until the defense gave them a free first down with a 12 yard penalty, setting them up at our 25 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down, Browning found Steed again, this time for 20 yards to make it first and goal at our 5 yard line. Browning would find Russell on the next play for a 5 yard touchdown pass, before rushing in the 2-point conversion himself, making it 51-36 with 7:29 left to play.

Mallary returned the kickoff 23 yards out to the 30 yard line, and even though there was still 7:18 left to play in the game, we went into clock killing mode, trying to run off as much clock as possible while letting our running game continue to run amuck on the ULM defense. After rushes of 2 and 4 yards by Johnson, he was able to pick up the first down with a 5 yard gain on third and 4, until left end Kentarius Caldwell stripped Johnson of the ball, giving the Warhawks the ball back at our 41 yard line with 5:48 left to play. Despite the tough situation, our defense still put up a valiant effort. Edwards got the Warhawks started with rushes of 8, 3 and 5 yards, before Browning added 4 yards to leave ULM facing third and 1 at our 20 yard line. A 13 yard pass to Russell made it first and goal at our 7 yard line. A 7 yard rush by Edwards left ULM with second and goal at our goal line. For whatever reason, the Warhawks went to the air, with Browning throwing two incomplete passes before managing to dump off a 1 yard touchdown pass to Maye on fourth and goal. The 2-point conversion was no good as Browning’s pass attempt to Steed fell incomplete, leaving us with a 51-42 lead with 4:13 left to play.

A touchback on the kickoff left us with the ball on our 20 yard line and 4:05 left on the clock. Despite the fumble last series, we put the ball back into the hands of Johnson as we attempted to run off the remaining time and leave with a 9 point win. The ULM defense was ready to try and stop us, with Johnson only managing two rushes of 2 yards each before Medlock found Johnson on a dump pass for an 11 yard gain, giving us first down at our 35 yard line with 2:38 left to play. A 14 yard rush by Johnson on first down gave us first down at our 49 yard line when ULM used their first timeout with 2:06 left to play. The Warhawks called their second timeout with 2:02 left to play after a 4 yard rush by Johnson, setting up second and 6. The fate of Louisiana-Monroe was sealed when Mallary picked up 8 yards to give us first down at the ULM 39 yard line. The Warhawks called their final timeout with 1:58 left to play, but it wouldn’t be enough. Rushes of 3, 5, and 2 yards by Mallary left us with fourth and 1 at the ULM 29 yard line with 24 seconds left. We would just left the clock run out without calling another play, giving us the 51-42 shootout victory.

With the win, we improve to 4-3 for the season, 4-0 in the Sun Belt Conference. With the loss, UL Monroe drops to 3-4 for the year, 1-2 in the Sun Belt Conference. Up next, it's a second home game, this time against Mid Tennessee State. The Blue Raiders opened up their season with a 12-7 l to Georgia Southern, then recovered with a 31-15 win over Kent State. Then they went into their current 6 game slide, losing 42-7 at #20 Iowa, 31-10 against Western Kentucky, 35-17 at North Carolina, 65-13 against Troy, 21-14 at UL Lafayette and 20-17 at Florida Atlantic coming into our game, the third of a three game road trip for them.

Final Score

51, 42

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – About as perfect a game as I have seen yet. With the exception of that bullshit fumble late in the second quarter, Medlock was practically flawless today, with no truly bad passes, racking up 308 yards on 12 passes. Johnson was just a beast. B-E-A-S-T. While he had help from that 70 yard touchdown run, he ended the game with 292 yards rushing on 37 carries for a 7.8 yard average and 5 rushing touchdowns. Add in a receiving touchdown for a 6 touchdown game, to go along with 75 yards on 4 receptions, and what a day. The most telling stats of Johnson's demolishing of ULM, 10 broken tackles and 125 yards rushing after contact.

FIU Defense – They still suck. Allowed ULM to score 3 touchdowns in the second quarter to destroy what were 24-7 and 31-14 leads (with the potential of entering halftime up by 17+) to give us only a 3 point halftime lead. Thankfully, the defense finally showed back up in the third quarter and held ULM scoreless, allowing our 17 third quarter points to be the deciding factor in a 9 point victory. If ULM scores one touchdown, even one field goal, in the third quarter, we potentially lose the game.

FIU Kicking – Hagen was for the most part perfect. 6 for 6 in extra points, 3 for 4 in field goals with a long of 28. Only miss was the 29 yard field goal attempt right before halftime when he shanked the attempt from the right hash mark way to the left and never got close the left upright of the post.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    7 21 0 14 42
    17 14 17 3 51

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    5:39 Touchdown S. Johnson, 70 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 7-0
    3:20 Touchdown S. Johnson, 2 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 14-0
    0:49 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 25 yard field goal 17-0
    0:21 Touchdown T. Maye, returned kickoff 97 yards (C. Grant kick) 17-7
    Second Quarter
    8:14 Touchdown S. Johnson, 7 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 24-7
    6:37 Touchdown J. Edwards, 5 yard pass from K. Browning (C. Grant kick) 24-14
    4:27 Touchdown S. Johnson, 24 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 31-14
    1:52 Touchdown K. Browning, 4 yard run (C. Grant kick) 31-21
    0:29 Touchdown J. Edwards, 6 yard pass from K. Browning (C. Grant) 31-28
    Third Quarter
    4:48 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 20 yard field goal 34-28
    3:50 Touchdown S. Johnson, 45 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 41-28
    2:38 Touchdown S. Johnson, 3 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 48-28
    Fourth Quarter
    8:57 Field Goal Y. Hagen, 28 yard field goal 51-28
    7:29 Touchdown L. Russell, 5 yard pass from K. Browning (2-Point Conversion) 51-36
    4:13 Touchdown T. Maye, 1 yard pass from K. Browning (2-Point failed) 51-42

Game Stats

UL Monroe Stat Florida International
    42 Score 51
    19 First Downs 21
    362 Total Offense 618
    26 - 94 - 1 Rushes - Yards - TD 44 - 310 - 5
    24 - 42 - 4 Comp - Att - TD 12 - 17 - 1
    268 Passing Yards 308
    2 Times Sacked 1
    8 - 15 (53%) 3rd Down Conversion 4 - 9 (44%)
    1 - 1 (100%) 4th Down Conversion 0 - 0 (0%)
    1 - 2 (50%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    6 - 5 - 0 (83%) Red Zone - TD - FG 8 - 4 - 3 (87%)
    2 Turnovers 2
    1 Fumbles Lost 2
    1 Intercepted 0
    0 Punt Return Yards 27
    282 Kick Return Yards 124
    644 Total Yards 769
    3 – 44.0 Punts - Average 0 - 0.0
    0 - 0 Penalties 3 - 32
    13:53 Time of Possession 22:07

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season
    Win 8 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 29 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

96%

B-E-A-S-T! THAT is exactly what Johnson is! That right there is EXACTLY what I've been waiting all season to see from Johnson, to see him unleash that ungodly amount of rushing talent and just steamroll a team. My god it was a thing of beauty. And my god our offense is bipolar. Last game against Troy, we could not do a damn thing on the ground against Troy and had to throw up 70+ pass attempts. This game, we take a whole 17 pass attempts and rush the ball 44 times, racking up 310 yards rushing, to go along with a very even 308 yards passing. Now why can't this damn offense do this EVERY game?

With games still to come against Mid Tennessee State, Florida Atlantic and UL Lafayette (along with very much expected butt whoopings from Arkansas State and #14 UCF), I'm looking forward to unleashing Johnson and seeing him go off the chain again. With MTSU have the #98 rushing defense in nation, and Florida Atlantic coming in at #94, after doing that against ULM (who ranks #86 in the nation in rushing defense), it might be time to break out the popcorn these next two games.

Defense is still going to screw us some game, most likely against Arkansas State and UCF, and possibly against either Florida Atlantic or UL Lafayette. This had the potential to become a 30+ point blowout, until the defense decided to roll over and play dead, allowing ULM to score 21 points in the second quarter and 14 in the fourth quarter to make it only a 9 point victory. Hopefully they decide to get their asses in gear before they cost us another loss.

Meanwhile, some insane stats from that game. UL Monroe punted a whole 3 times that game, we did not punt a single time the entire game. ULM was not penalized at all, we got flagged 3 times. ULM racked up 282 kick return yards, we both went 80%+ in the red zone, with ULM ending the game 83% in the red zone, us ending 87% in the red zone. What a heck of a game. Also clearly a "wide open offense" game, as the defenses clearly were not good based on those stats.

Taking a look at action on the national scene... In the game of the week, there will be a new #1 next week, as #5 Ohio State (8-0) knocks off #1 Wisconsin (7-1) on the road in Madison with a 34-21 victory. #2 Mississippi State (8-0) looks to be our new top ranking team as they defeated Kentucky (3-6) 31-14. The showdown for next week meanwhile is still on as #4 Penn State (8-0), fighting off the upset, outscores #18 Illinois (5-2) 24-6 in the fourth quarter to top the Illini 48-31. #8 Boise State (6-1) keeps their title game hopes alive with a 42-14 curbstomping of Cincinnati (1-6). #10 Washington (7-2) loses their second game, falling at home to Oregon State (6-2), 29-21, after Oregon State scores 9 fourth quarter points, including a 30 yard field goal with 43 seconds left to put the game away.

Meanwhile, #12 Auburn (7-2) hands #11 LSU (5-3) their second straight loss with a 31-16 win at home. #13 Oklahoma State (6-1) easily handles #15 Baylor (4-3), handing the Bears their second straight loss (and third loss in fourth games) with a 38-6 whooping. #16 Northwestern (6-2) scores a fourth quarter touchdown to escape with a road victory at Purdue (1-7), winning 24-21. Duke (3-4) scores a Top 25 upset at home over #17 Virginia Tech (6-2) with a 30-27 win. #21 Connecticut (5-2) drops 15 points in the final 2:27 of the game to pull out a come from behind 41-38 win over Louisville (2-5). Florida State (6-2) makes their case for a Top 25 ranking with a 27-6 win over #22 Clemson (5-3). #25 Virginia (7-1) scores a minor upset victory over #24 Miami (FL) (6-2) with a 36-33 win.

For our readers, both West Virginia and Arizona State out of action with byes this week. Arizona State returns next week to take on 5-3 UCLA, West Virginia returns in two weeks in week 12 to take on (currently) 1-6 Cincinnati. That record will change as Cincinnati plays 2-5 Louisville in week 11.

As for my conference title hopes (sitting 4-0 in the Sun Belt Conference right now), I got a huge boost as Troy defeats Arkansas State 38-21 to knock the Red Wolves down to 2-1 in conference play. Troy is still right on my butt at 3-1 though, so I can't have any let downs. UL Lafayette and North Texas both still have a chance, sitting at 2-1 in the conference, and even Florida Atlantic is still technically alive with a 2-2 conference record.

As for the popcorn eating games, after advancing the week in game, another great week of action coming up in week 11, with the Big Ten hosting the national game of the week for the second week in a row. Fresh off their upset win over previous #1 Wisconsin, Ohio State, now the #3 team in the nation, takes on their second straight top 5 opponent, #4 Penn State, this time at home. Both teams enter 8-0, and if Ohio State wins, they will be in the driver's seat for the Big Ten Championship game. If Penn State wins, they get a date in week 12 at home with Wisconsin. Mississippi State does indeed jump to #1, taking on 4-4 Georgia in week 11 ahead of their week 12 showdown at home with #2 Alabama (8-0). The #2 Crimson Tide first go on the road in week 11 to take on #16 LSU, who is in the middle of a two game slide. Boise State remains #8 as Wisconsin only drops down to #6 after their loss to Ohio State.

Not a whole lot was changed in the Top 25 after Wisconsin's loss. Mississippi State jumps from #2 to #1. Alabama moves up 1 spot to #2. Ohio State jumps from #5 over Penn State to land at #3. Penn State remains stuck at #4. Oklahoma moves up a spot to #5. Wisconsin drops 5 spots to #6. TCU, Boise State and Arkansas all remain in the same place in #7-9. Washington drops from #10 to #14 with their loss, making way for Auburn to jump from #12 to #10 with their win over LSU. Meanwhile, I may end up playing a #10 team after all, as UCF (7-2 on the year), has climbed back up to #12 from a ranking in the 20s after their two earlier losses.

Surprise teams in the current Top 25, Northwestern at #13 with a 6-2 season, Connecticut at #18 sitting at 5-2, Illinois at #19 with a 5-2 record, Virginia at #22 with a 7-1 record. The big one, Mississippi State after going 11-2 and a #7 ranking in the first year, dropped off to 7-6 last year, and jumped right back up, sitting #1 in the nation with an 8-0 record, with games against 4-4 Georgia, 8-0 #2 Alabama, 8-1 #9 Arkansas and 4-4 Mississippi being the only thing keeping them from a 12-0 season and a berth to the SEC Championship game and even potentially the BCS Championship game.

And there is currently a moment where I right now HATE recruiting. I just lost someone I was going after, Jon Newsome, a DT, #9 DT in the nation, of 66.00, just hard committed to Florida, after I fought to get within -1 of Florida. While Florida at least offered a scholarship, the guy apparently didn't need to visit as I was the only one he made a visit to, and still signed with Florida over me and Florida State (all three of us offering a scholarship).

And now, another guy, Will Medlock (not related to Jake Medlock as Will is black), a HB, #19 HB in the nation with a of 78.00 is currently soft committed to Nevada, despite the fact that Nevada has not even so much as bothered to schedule a visit nor even offer a scholarship to the guy. I'm the only team to offer a scholarship and schedule a visit. Nevada is the top team, I'm -1 behind, the next closest is Oregon State at -960. So much for the 60 minutes I've poured into both guys every single week since I added them to my board back in weeks 2 and 3.

At least there is one bit of good news from recruiting. David Holt, the #59 DT in the nation, , of 57.00, was soft committed to Purdue last week, I poured 60 minutes into him and not only kept him from hard committing to Purdue, but actually stole him and got him to hard commit to me. So he went from soft commit to Purdue to hard commit to me in one week. A heck of a theft.

That is a very interesting top 10 list as it currently stands. TCU and Washington stand out to me as weird ones. Does Alabama play Mississippi St this season?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    That is a very interesting top 10 list as it currently stands. TCU and Washington stand out to me as weird ones. Does Alabama play Mississippi St this season?
    Yep. I'm currently in week 11 of the season, Alabama plays at Mississippi State in week 12. And as I plan to play MTSU in a little bit, I'll be onto week 12 tonight, and hopefully have week 12 played and advanced sometime Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Their defense is worse than MINE! West Virginia ranks #119 in Total Defense, #120 in Rush Defense and #117 in Pass Defense. They have a good offense, #8 Total Offense, #52 Rush Offense and #21 Pass Offense. It's just their defense is pretty much the worst in the entire NCAA. Arizona State is nearly as bad, ranking #115 in Total Defense, #114 in Rush Defense and #114 in Pass Defense. ASU's offense is ranked #29 in Total Offense, #25 in Rush Offense and #69 in Pass Offense.
    [Statgeekery]
    Well, anytime you use raw numbers, yes, teams that have horrible win-loss records are pretty likely to be at the bottom defensively. The key is to look at opponent-adjusted statistics. Too bad that would take a headache-inducing amount of effort.
    [/statgeekery]

Good stuff, Smooth! Nice wins!
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

But, you have to admit that even with a horrible win-loss record, being dead last or nearly dead last in all defensive categories is most likely based more on poor defensive performance overall and less a product of their win/loss records. With enough offense, I'm sure they could outscore opponents and win the games, while still having an atrociously bad defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    [Statgeekery]
    Well, anytime you use raw numbers, yes, teams that have horrible win-loss records are pretty likely to be at the bottom defensively. The key is to look at opponent-adjusted statistics. Too bad that would take a headache-inducing amount of effort.
    [/statgeekery]

Good stuff, Smooth! Nice wins!
    True, I am/was just using raw numbers there. Unfortunately, I have neither the time or nor the desire to put in the effort to get opponent-adjusted statistics, unless someone else would like the honors. I'm fine with just recruiting, playing the games and mention the raw statistics I can pull up in a matter of seconds for a quick look at a team's season.

And looking at it right now, this season is still a toss-up. MTSU is my only, for lack of a better word, sure victory. Florida Atlantic has played me tough the last two years, as well as it being a rivalry game, so they out fired up already. UL Lafayette, while undefeated against them the last two seasons, they too have played me pretty tough and besides last year's rushing domination against them, have put up a fight on defense. So I can see myself going 3-0, 2-1 or 1-2 against those three.

Then I have Arkansas State and UCF, who have both dominated me both years, so at least for now, I'm going into both games expecting a loss. So I'm looking at ending the season anywhere from 7-5 to 5-7. Add in the Sun Belt Conference title race, with me sitting at 4-0, Troy at 3-1 and Arkansas State and North Texas both at 2-1. So still LOTS to do and play for this season, even with just 5 games left to play.

Game Eight

Game Notes

--- After holding on last week to defeat UL Monroe, our fourth win in a row, our team hit a new air and stride in practice, ready to hit the field and take on the Blue Raiders of Mid Tennessee State. We entered the game with a 4-3 record, 4-0 in the Sun Belt Conference. Mid Tennessee State entered at 1-7 on the year, 0-4 in conference play. Today would also be a huge day, as 13 recruits, out of 22 recruits that we are currently actively recruiting, were visiting for their official campus visit today. Hopefully we could have a huge day to help sway some of those recruits to sign with us. Special for today’s game, we broke out our alternate uniforms for the first time this season, wearing our black jerseys instead of our normal navy blue. It was a partly cloudy sky as the sun began to set behind the scoreboard, setting up a perfect evening of football. We won the coin toss and elected to kick, putting the beginning of the game on the shoulders of our defense.

The game almost started off in absolute disaster for the Blue Raiders, as a fumble on the opening kickoff return was just barely recovered by one of their return team members, giving them the ball at their own 32 yard line. Two passes, for 1 and 5 yards from Derrick Hicks to Christian Collis left MTSU with third and 4 at their 38, but they would go backwards with a loss of 2 yards by William Pratcher, setting up the first punt of the day. We got some help as a 15 yard facemask penalty was called on the Blue Raiders during the return, giving us first down at our 32 yard line to start. Unfortunately for us, MTSU appeared to have taken notes when looking at last week’s game film. After a 5 yard run by Storm Johnson on first down, Johnson was stuffed for no gain on second down and could only manage 3 yards on a third down dump pass to leave us punting on fourth and 2. A 49 yard punt left the Blue Raiders on their own 11 yard line to start. Everything looked in our favor after an incomplete pass and a loss of 3 yards on a run left MTSU facing third and 13 at their own 8 yard line. Then things started to fall apart, starting with the defense being flagged for offside, before Hicks found Richard Drake for a 17 yard gain on third and 8. After another offside penalty on the defense left MTSU with first and 5 at their 35, we finally caught some breaks. An incomplete pass on first down was followed with a 2 yard rush by Drake to set up third and 3, before a holding penalty pushed the Blue Raiders clear back to their 27 and left them facing third and 13 yet again. An incomplete pass on third down this time would force MTSU to punt for their second time today. A 12 yard return by Johnson gave us good field position, starting at our 37.

The Blue Raiders continued to put up a fight on defense against our running game, as Johnson was only able to gain 4 yards on first down before fighting through two tackles to pick up 8 yards on the next play to give us a first down at our 49 yard line. The Blue Raiders would make a mistake on the next play, trying to overwhelm our line with a blitz to the left side, while Johnson took the ball, blew through a hole on the right side, and reeled off 50 yards before the MTSU secondary was able to bring him down at the 1 yard line. Darrian Mallary would do the honors on the next play, pushing through a defender and using their combined momentum to fall forward into the end zone for a 1 yard touchdown run, giving us a 7-0 lead with 4:48 left to play in the first quarter. After a 17 yard kickoff return out to the 25 yard line, Mid Tennessee State went only backwards, as Hicks threw two incomplete passes and was tackled for a loss of 2 yards on a run, bringing out the punt team yet again on fourth and 12.

A 7 yard return by Johnson this time set us up at our 39 yard line. The Blue Raiders found some success stopping our run game this time, as Johnson could only get 4 yards in two rushes, leaving us with third and 6 at the 43. A 6 yard pass to Johnson wasn’t quite enough for the first down, as the official measurement forced us into fourth and inches at the 49 yard line. Coach Cristobal decided to make a statement right here, having us go for the fourth down conversion, to which Johnson was able to pick up a yard and give us a new set of downs at the 50 yard line. After calling another run play on first down, the Blue Raiders defense came out showing heavy blitz and began tightening down on the box. In response, Jake Medlock called an audible at the line, changing the play to a play action pass, and found tight end Aaron Clark open for a 28 yard gain to give us first down at the MTSU 21 yard line. Despite getting burned on the play action pass last play, MTSU again came out and stacked the box, this time to the left side, and with the run going to the right, Medlock decided to leave the play call as is. That turned out an unsuccessful call as Johnson could only pick up 2 yards before being piled on. Johnson would still come through for us though with a 12 yard pass on second down to give us first and goal at the MTSU 8 yard line. The Blue Raiders were still as ready as ever for Johnson, continuing to stack the box. Johnson could only manage one yard before being swarmed on first down, signaling that this would have to be finished through the air if we wanted a touchdown. After an incomplete pass intended for Dominique Rhymes on second down, Willis Wright came through for us, diving and catching a 7 yard pass for the touchdown to give us a 14-0 lead with 1:02 left in the first quarter.

A kickoff return out to the MTSU 22 yard line was again the only success the Blue Raiders would enjoy, as two more incomplete passes, and a 2 yard loss by Pratcher would leave Mid Tennessee State again punting on fourth and 12. Johnson called a fair catch on the 44 yard punt to give us the ball at our 35 yard line with 20 seconds left to play. As MTSU had been stacking the box on first down for the last couple drives, we deciding to come out firing this time. A 21 yard pass to Rhymes made an immediate statement as we quickly crossed midfield to the MTSU 43 yard line. Two incomplete passes, as Wayne Times and Wright were unable to haul in the ball, would bring about the end of the first quarter, a 14-0 lead for us on the scoreboard.

The start of the second quarter found us facing a third and 10 situation after two incomplete passes to end the first quarter. Rhymes would again come through for our offense, catching a pass from Medlock and fighting forward enough to get down to the 13 yard line before collapsing under the weight of the defensive players trying to tackle him, a 31 yard gain on the pass. It was then that Medlock decided to be his usual “shoot us in the foot” self, throwing an interception directly into the hands of MTSU’s safety, Brandon Newsome, who returned it 9 yards out to the 11 yard line. Despite an incomplete pass and a loss of 2 yards by Pratcher, the MTSU offense would finally find some success, as Hicks found Arthur Williams for a 25 yard gain to give the Blue Raiders a first down at their 34 yard line. That would be it for their offensive show though, as three straight incomplete passes by Hicks would grind the drive to a halt. We unfortunately would have our worst starting position of the day, as a 7 yard return by Johnson was only enough to give us the ball at our 29 yard line. Despite getting lit up through the air the previous drive, the Blue Raiders were still more than ready for Johnson, as he could only manage a single yard on first down to leave us with second and 9. Two incomplete passes by Medlock later, and we were making our second punt of the day. This one was much worse, as Hagen shorted it for only 38 yards, which was then returned 9 yards out to MTSU’s 41 yard line, their best positioning of the day. Luckily for us, the Blue Raiders would only go backwards, as Pratcher was tackled for a 2 yard loss on first down, followed by a 4 yard loss by Hicks on second down and an incomplete pass to round things out and bring back out the Mid Tennessee State punt team.

Continuing a disturbing trend, our field position continue to get steadily worse, as a fair catch by Johnson on a 43 yard punt left us starting our next series at our 22 yard line. That turned out to actually be good news, as the Blue Raiders left Times covered one and one with no secondary support. A faster Times was able to break off the line and get the inside track on corner Marquise Dixon, leaving Dixon playing catch-up. A perfectly placed pass to Times was hauled in, during which Dixon jumped and went for the knock down, missing in the process, leaving him out of position with his back towards Times, who with a minor juke move was able to sidestep Dixon and then outrace Newsome for a 78 yard touchdown to give us a 21-0 lead with 6:16 left in the first half. MTSU’s next drive got a helping hand, as the defense got flagged for defensive pass interference, giving the Blue Raiders a first down at their 31 yard line, a pickup of 7 yards. A 4 yard rush by Pratcher was the last they would get, as two incomplete passes from Hicks would force another punt.

The 44 yard punt ended with Johnson calling a fair catch, beginning our next drive at the 21 yard line, continuing the trend of progressively worse starting field position. Unbelievably, the Blue Raiders made the same mistake of leaving Times covered in man with no help in the secondary, but they caught a break as Dixon was able to this time get a hand on the ball, keeping Times from holding onto it. The Blue Raiders made sure on the next play to bring over help from the safeties on Times, but it was Wright this time who made the defense pay, hauling in a 20 yard pass to give us first down at our 41 yard line. Keeping the MTSU defense thinking pass, our run game found a breathe of air as Johnson was able to break through the line for a 10 yard gain to give us a first down at the MTSU 49 yard line. Our ground success was short lived however as Johnson was brought down for no gain on the very next play. The defense was thinking run on the next play, bringing the house on a safety blitz. Instead of leading to a sack or loss of yards, that blitz played perfectly into our hand, as Mallary was left partially open on the play, hauling in a pass from Medlock, then outrunning his cover for a 23 yard gain down to the MTSU 27 yard line before one of the corners were able to bring him down. After two incomplete passes to leave third and 10, Medlock was finally able to find Rhymes breaking open over the middle for a 20 yard gain, setting up first and goal at the Mid Tennessee State 7 yard line. Despite the Blue Raiders still playing the pass, Johnson was stood up for no gain on the first down rush, leaving second and goal and actually pushing us back a little to the 8 yard line. Johnson wouldn’t be denied on second down, hauling in a pass in the flats and fighting his way forward before falling into the end zone with some help from the defense, scoring a touchdown on the 8 yard pass to give us a 28-0 lead with 3:33 left in the first half.

Starting their next series on the 16 yard line, Mid Tennessee’s offense started to find a little bit of success again, as Hicks picked up 3 yards on a first down rush, then followed up with a 4 yard pass to Damien Murray to leave third and 3. But an incomplete pass on third down would force the Blue Raiders to once again punt the ball away. A 9 yard punt return by Johnson gave us possession at our 40 yard line and 2:39 left on the clock. In a true stacking the box sense, the Blue Raiders on first down brought the entire defense, except for one safety, up to the line of scrimmage before backing their other safety back into position at the last moment. Those two safeties would have little effect however as with all three linebackers blitzing, Rhymes was left wide open going up the middle of the field, hauling in the pass before fighting an extra 11 yards forward for a 31 yard gain, giving us first down at the MTSU 29 yard line. The Blue Raiders still proved more than ready for our running game as Johnson would only manage 2 yards on first down, before a pass intended for Ezekiel Turner was swatted down, leaving us facing third and 8. Despite coming out in a 10-0-1 formation yet again, it paid off this time for the Blue Raiders as Johnson could only manage 4 yards on a pass from Medlock, forcing us to attempt a field goal on fourth and 5 at the MTSU 23 yard line. Hagen would come through for us, kicking the 40 yard attempt right down the middle of the uprights to give us a 31-0 lead with 1:32 left to play.

Starting at the 27 yard line, the Mid Tennessee State offense this time sprang to life. After a pair of incomplete passes left third and 10, Hicks found Kevin Byard for a 22 yard gain, followed by a 12 yard pass to Collis to give the Blue Raiders first down at our 40 yard line. After another incomplete pass, Drake hauled in an 11 yard pass to give the Raiders first down at our 29 yard line. A 5 yard pass to Drake advanced the ball to the 24 yard line, after which Drake caught a 16 yard pass to give MTSU first and goal at the 8 yard line. It nearly all fell apart as Hicks fumbled the snap on first and goal, but he was able to recover, albeit for a loss of 5 yards, backing the Blue Raiders out to the 13 yard line. A pair of incomplete passes left fourth and goal with 7 seconds left on the clock. The Blue Raiders would finally get on the scoreboard as Orlando Sellers kicked a 30 yard field goal to make it 31-3 with 4 seconds left. A touchback on the kickoff would bring the half to an end with a commanding 28 point lead.

The start of the second half, we finally bucked the trend of progressively worse field position as a 19 yard kickoff return by Johnson left us starting at the 30 yard line. Finally catching a break on the ground, Johnson was able to beat the defensive end around the corner on and sprint down the sideline for a 37 yard gain, tiptoeing the final 5 yards after a tackle attempt by one of the safeties, giving us first down at the MTSU 43 yard line. Continuing to use the off tackles rushes, Mallary picked up 4 yards on first down, followed by Johnson on second down, who turned the corner, rushed forward through a gap and plowed full speed into one of the linebackers, using his momentum to send both players rolling forward, just gaining the 6 yards needed for a first down at the MTSU 33 yard line. Another attempt off the left tackle ended with only a 2 yard gain, sending us back to the air on the next play, hoping the Blue Raiders would play the run again on the next play. Exactly that happened as the Blue Raiders sent a blitz against an anticipated rush, instead finding the ball flying over their heads as Clark caught a 9 yard pass along the left hash marks for a first down at the 22 yard line. It was on the next play that Times left the MTSU defense once again burnt, as a corner blitz on the play left Times completely uncovered and wide open on an out route. After catching the pass at the 15 yard line, with the nearest defender more than 7 yards away, Times immediately turned upfield and started heading along the sideline and angling towards the pylon to keep as much space between him and the pursuing safeties. Times was able to get as close as the 3 yard line before safety James Heinz was able to close the distance and attempt to tackle Times. It would not be enough however as Heinz’s attempt to drag Times down by his outside shoulder only hindered his attempt, as Times fell down and rolled to his left, ending up facing back towards our end zone, his feet two yards deep into the end zone and the ball resting directly on the middle of the goal line for a 22 yard touchdown pass, giving us a 38-3 lead with 7:02 left in the third quarter.

Despite a 26 yard kickoff return out to their 29 yard line, and a 6 yard rush by Pratcher on first down, the Mid Tennessee State offense would end up going backwards, as they were called for holding on second and 4, Hicks threw an incomplete pass on second and 14, and then Hicks was sacked for a 7 yard loss on third and 14, leaving the Blue Raiders punting from their 18 yard line, 11 yards back from where they initially started the drive. An 8 yard return by Johnson on the 52 yard punt left our offense starting at our 37 yard line. Even though they were down by 35 points with just 6 minutes left in the third quarter, the Blue Raiders defense was still as hardnosed as they had been all game, limiting Johnson to just a pair of 1 yard rushes on first and second downs. On third down, Wright was able to get past his coverage and had nothing but a wide open green field between him and the end zone, but an overthrown pass by Medlock landed 5 yards further downfield from Wright, forcing us to punt the ball away. The Blues Raiders offense again found some minor success, as Pratchter picked up 9 yards on first down, followed by an incomplete pass from Hicks, and a 7 yard gain by Williams to give MTSU a first down at their 33 yard line. That would be as much as they would get as three straight incomplete passes from Hicks brought the punt team back out once again. Their punter at least still had some fire left in him, as a 50 yard punt ended with a fair catch, giving us the ball at our 16 yard line to start our next series.

Trying to run the ball, the defense was once again ready for us as Johnson could only manage 3 yards on first down. Despite once again managing to beat the coverage downfield, getting a couple yards behind the safeties, Wright was once again overthrown by Medlock, leaving us with third and 7. The third down pass attempt intended for Rhymes was batted by the blitzing defensive line. While it landed in Johnson’s hand at the line of scrimmage for a brief second, Johnson ended up dropping it as he was quickly hit by one of the linebackers. After a 47 yard punt by Hagen, the Blue Raiders returned it 7 yards out to their 40 yard line for their next series. Tim Rhodes got their drive underway with a 2 yard pass on first down, followed by a 7 yard rush from Pratcher to leave the Blue Raiders facing third and 1. The drive would come to an end as a pass to Pratcher on third down was dropped.

A 51 yard punt ended up rolling into the end zone for a touchback. Going to the ground game, Johnson was able to pick up 7 yards on first down, but a 2 yard rush that left third and 1 was all we’d do, as Johnson got tackled for a 1 yard loss on third down, forcing us to punt. After a 44 yard punt left MTSU starting at their own 29 yard line, Hicks found Collis on first down for an 8 yard gain. A 3 yard rush by Drake gave the Blue Raiders a first down at the 40 yard line. After an incomplete pass on first down, Hicks completed a pass to Drake for 12 yards to give MTSU a first down at our 48. A 5 yard pass would get the Blue Raiders down to our 42 yard line, but two incomplete passes would force MTSU to punt the ball away yet again. The 42 yard punt from Davis went into the end zone for a touchback, giving us the ball on our 20 yard line with 13 seconds left in the third quarter. An audible at the line of scrimmage off a run play left Yakeem Griner open in the flats as he fought forward for a 10 yard gain before being driven out of bounds to give us another first down with 8 seconds left to play. The final seconds would tick off the clock before we could get back to the line, bringing the third quarter to a close with a 38-3 lead.

The start of the fourth quarter found us returning to the ground game. Despite Mid Tennessee State’s defense coming out in a 6-2-3 look as they packed the line, Johnson still was able to find a hole between the center and left guard, picking up 6 yards before being brought down. A 3 yard rush by Johnson, using his momentum to fall forward enough to get the third and final yard, left us facing third and 1 at our 40 yard line. Johnson took full advantage of a gap left unfilled by the linebackers between the center and right guard, picking up 7 yards to convert the third down. Despite the defensive tackle making contact with Johnson just two yards beyond the line of scrimmage, Johnson ended up taking both him and the middle linebacker for a ride, continuing to high step his way forward to gain 6 yards before being wrapped up and tackled. A 1 yard gain on second down, as the left guard failed to pick up his assignment, the left outside linebacker, left us going to the air on third and 3. That third down pass would end in disaster as Medlock threw too far ahead of Johnson, the pass being picked off by Heinz to give Mid Tennessee State the ball at their 43 yard line. Despite the momentum swing of the interception and great field position, the Blue Raiders would fail to take advantage of it as Hicks threw two incomplete passes and Drake was tackled for a 4 yard loss, leaving the Blue Raiders punting on fourth and 14 from their 39 yard line. Johnson called fair catch on the 52 yard punt to give us the ball at our 8 yard line with 6:11 left in the game.

It was at the start of this series that we brought in our second team offense and defense, despite some on the coaching staff wanting one last score. Mallary got our drive started poorly as he was stood up for no gain. Being so deep in our territory, we took the air on second down, backup quarterback and redshirt sophomore Lorenzo Hammonds getting his first action of the season. A brief rundown of Hammonds’ very brief periods of action last season in 2012, he went 2-12 passing with 111 yards, no touchdowns or interceptions, averaged 10.1 yards per game, had a completion percentage of 16.7, his longest pass was 72 yards and he ended the year with a 94.4 QB rating. Despite only completing 2 passes last season, Hammonds made the most of his first attempt this year, completing a 26 yard pass to Clark over the middle for a first down at our 35 yard line. Despite our desire to want to run out the remaining clock with run plays, Mallary was only able to gain 2 yards, just barely at that, on a first down run, forcing us to return to the air. With the sudden impotence of Mallary’s running abilities, those couple coaches on the sidelines may just end up getting their wish of another touchdown if we had to keep passing. Even though Wright made a great jumping catch on second down, it ultimately only gained 1 yard when all was said and done, leaving us facing third and 7. On third down, Clifford Sanchez was able to get behind the safeties, hauling in a perfect over the shoulder pass from Hammonds, then running it clear down to the MTSU 4 yard line before the safeties could catch up to him, a 58 yard gain to give us first and goal. Mallary’s attempt to score on the ground proved fruitless, as he was tackled for no gain, Mid Tennessee State’s first team defense busting right through our second team offensive line with ease. Knowing there was no way we’d be able to score on the ground with our second team against their starting defense, we elected to call a short pass with Hammonds going under center. The Blue Raiders must have mistook it for another run play, as Clark was left wide open on his out route from the tight end position, catching it at the two yard line and then heading toward the pylon, covering the final two yards before the right cornerback could react, scoring a 4 yard touchdown pass to give us a 45-3 lead with 3:21 left to play in the game.

A 24 yard kickoff return got the Blue Raiders out to their own 26 yard line to start their next series. Drake picked up 4 yards on the ground before an incomplete pass from Hicks, intended for Williams fell incomplete. It was after this play, facing third and 6, that the Blue Raiders decided to put their second team offense into the game. The change in personnel worked as redshirt freshman backup quarterback Ira Price hit Ross Thompson for a 21 yard gain to give them first down at our 49 yard line. The Blue Raiders proceeded to go backwards, as Price was sacked on first down for a 5 yard loss. A 1 yard pass to Drake on second down left MTSU facing third and 14 from their 47 yard line, when a pass intended for Drake was batted down, forcing the Blue Raiders to punt with 2:09 left to play. The 47 yard punt was caught by Johnson, who was promptly tackled for no gain at our 6 yard line, starting our next series even deeper in the shadows of our goalpost with 2:04 left to play. After a pair of 1 yard gains by Mallary, we were left with third and 7 at our 9 yard line with 37 seconds to play. Mallary came through for us on the next play as he managed to squeeze through a small gap and pick up 8 yards and gaining a first down, keeping the ball in our hands with 33 seconds left to play and allowing us to kneel out the final seconds. One kneel from Hammonds ticked off the final seconds of our 45-3 victory over Mid Tennessee State. The win also sets a new record for the biggest win in school history, as the 45-3 victory eclipses our 42-3 win over Bowling Green last season.

With the win, our fifth straight, we improve to 5-3 on the year, 5-0 in the Sun Belt Conference. With the loss, Mid Tennessee State drops to 1-8 for the season, 0-5 in conference play. Up next, we hit the road to take on our hated rivals, Florida Atlantic. The Owls enter the game with a 3-6 record, 2-3 in the Sun Belt Conference. The Owls opened up the year with a 42-17 win over Indiana State, before going on a three game slide with a 14-7 loss to Purdue, a 24-18 loss at #4 Penn State and a 36-20 loss at Rice. They got their second win of the year with a 42-25 victory at Western Kentucky, before the back half of their 5 game road trip took its toll, with losses of 59-24 at Troy and 38-22 at North Texas. They got their third win against Mid Tennessee State 20-17 before losing at home against UL Monroe 39-20.

Final Score

45, 3

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Running game had another strong game, with Johnson and Mallary combining for 181 yards on 39 carries and one touchdown. It was both a great day and a bad day in the passing game. Medlock was on fire for a good portion of the game, with Hammonds coming in during garbage time and leading us down the field for our final score of the game, both combining for 423 yards on 21-35 passing and 5 total touchdowns, but Medlock again did his best imitation of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, passing for 333 yards and 4 touchdowns, but also throwing some horrible passes on his 14 incompletions, as well as two interceptions that he pretty much laid directly into the hands of the MTSU defense. Despite being a younger and much less talented quarterback, there is hope for the future in Hammonds, who came in and ate fire, going 4-4 passing for 90 yards and 1 touchdown in his brief stint of action today.

FIU Defense – Actually did pretty good for a change, which was to be expected against a decidedly much weaker opponent like Mid Tennessee State. Allowed only 190 yards of offense and allowed only 17 completions on 50 pass attempts. Besides that breakdown right before halftime that let MTSU score that field goal, it was pretty much a perfect day for the D.

FIU Kicking – Hagen pulled off another perfect day for the season. He made his only field goal attempt of the day, kicking it perfectly down the middle from 40 yards out and made all six extra point attempts.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    0 3 0 0 3
    14 17 7 7 45

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    Touchdown D. Mallary, 1 yard run (Y. Hagen kick) 7-0
    Touchdown W. Wright, 7 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 14-0
    Second Quarter
    Touchdown W. Times, 78 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 21-0
    Touchdown S. Johnson, 8 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 28-0
    Field Goal Y. Hagen, 40 yard field goal 31-0
    Field Goal O. Sellers, 30 yard field goal 31-3
    Third Quarter
    Touchdown W. Times, 22 yard pass from J. Medlock (Y. Hagen kick) 38-3
    Fourth Quarter
    Touchdown A. Clark, 4 yard pass from L. Hammonds (Y. Hagen kick) 45-3

Game Stats

Mid Tennessee State Stat Florida International
    3 Score 45
    10 First Downs 20
    190 Total Offense 604
    16 - 22 - 0 Rushes - Yards - TD 39 - 181 - 1
    17 - 50 - 0 Comp - Att - TD 21 - 35 - 5
    168 Passing Yards 423
    2 Times Sacked 0
    5 - 20 (25%) 3rd Down Conversion 6 - 14 (42%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 1 - 1 (100%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    5 - 0 - 1 (20%) Red Zone - TD - FG 7 - 4 - 0 (57%)
    0 Turnovers 2
    0 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 2
    16 Punt Return Yards 43
    164 Kick Return Yards 19
    370 Total Yards 666
    14 – 46.8 Punts - Average 5 - 44.2
    3 - 35 Penalties 4 - 32
    12:43 Time of Possession 23:17

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season
    Win 8 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 31 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

96%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-24-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Holy crap, our defense finally showed up. With the exception of the series right before halftime and a couple big plays here and there, our defense completely shut down the Mid Tennessee State offense.

Our offense meanwhile had another great day. The running game was good, though it kept getting shut down at times by the MTSU defense. But our passing game more than made up for it, with some great passes, some great plays, and some huge mistakes by the MTSU defense on coverage. Medlock still makes me shake my head, being able to go from throwing pinpoint perfect passes to throwing interceptions perfectly into the hands of the defense almost back to back.

There is promise for the future. While it was just one game, Hammonds came in and did a great job with 4-4 passing, 90 yards and 1 touchdown. Hopefully we get a chance to have him get some more action later this season so I can get a better look at his skills and see what all he can do in a game, especially as it appears he'll be my starter next year, if I decide to stay around FIU a little longer.

Now to go slaughter some Owls.

Oh yeah, that picture of the BCS standings I post above. It looks exactly the same at the moment, just Alabama is the current BCS #1, Ohio State #2 and Mississippi State #3, all 8-0 and all tied for first with 0.994 points. Penn State comes in at #4 with 0.983 and Oklahoma is #5 with 0.978. Some mid major love as Boise State is ranked #6 and TCU #7, both tied with 0.967 points. There's still a chance Boise State or TCU could get to the title game if Armageddon happens, with Penn State beating Ohio State, Wisconsin beating Penn State, and the winner of Alabama-Mississippi State either losing at some point before the end of the regular season or in the SEC Championship game.

Taking a look at action on the national scene... In the game of the week, for a second straight week in the Big Ten, the #3 Ohio State Buckeyes remain perfect at 9-0 as they defeat #4 Penn State (8-1) 38-21. While it may seem like it was a decent game, this game was a blowout. Ohio State had a 31-0 lead at halftime and a 38-0 lead after the third quarter. Penn State didn't score until the fourth quarter, with touchdowns at 11:02, 6:00 and the third to make it seem close with 1:15 left in the game. The funny thing, Penn State had 435 yards of total offense, Ohio State only 288. But, Penn State also had 3 interceptions while Ohio State had no turnovers.

Elsewhere, #1 Mississippi State (9-0) beat Georgia (4-5) 38-17, while #2 Alabama (9-0) beat #16 LSU (5-4) 41-23, setting up the #1 vs. #2 showdown in the SEC next week! It's amazing how things can change so suddenly. Three weeks ago, LSU was 5-1 and ranked #7, just on the outside of the national title picture, and three weeks later, has been whooped 33-0 by #1 Mississippi State, 31-16 by #10 Auburn and 41-23 by #2 Alabama, dropping to 5-4 for the season, 3-3 in the SEC, and will either be ranked in the 20s or could be completely dropped out of the rankings by next week.

#8 Boise State (7-1) barely avoids being upset as they hold on to beat South Florida (4-4) on the road 35-31, outscoring USF 14-7 in the third quarter, with the game winning touchdown coming with 27 seconds left to play in the third quarter. #9 Arkansas (9-1) barely escapes with a 20-17 win on the road against South Carolina (6-4), scoring 10 fourth quarter points, including the game winning field goal with 4:41 left to play. Another Top 10 team loses as Mississippi (5-4) scores 14 points in the fourth quarter to knock off #10 Auburn (7-3) with a 24-14 road win.

#25 Nebraska (6-3) gets a 42-21 win at home against #13 Northwestern (6-3). In a cross country battle, #14 Washington (8-2) scores 14 points in the fourth quarter to beat #22 Virginia (7-2) 42-35, scoring the game winning touchdown with 2:20 remaining. #15 Stanford (6-3) suffers their third loss of the season, falling at home to Oregon (6-3) in a 31-14 loss. Michigan (5-4) goes on the road and knocks off #17 Iowa (6-3) 25-13. Syracuse (1-9) gets their first win of the season, breaking open a 31-31 tie at the end of 3, to knock off #18 Connecticut (5-3) with a 41-34 win. #21 Baylor (5-3) escapes Missouri (2-7) with a 24-17 win.

For our readers, West Virginia still out of action for one more week, returning in week 12 to take on Cincinnati. This may be West Virginia's best chance at win #3, as Cincinnati enters the game 1-7 on the year, 0-6 in the Big East, fresh off a 29-2 ass whooping from 3-5 Louisville. Cincinnati managed a whole 9 first downs and 171 yards of offense in the game, only 59 yards on 7-30 passing, and gave up 26 first downs and 463 yards of offense to Louisville.

Meanwhile, Jaymo, Arizona State ALMOST pulled it out. The Sun Devils drop to 1-8 (1-5 in the Pac-12) with a 28-25 loss to 6-3 UCLA. Arizona State did have to outscore UCLA 14-7 in the fourth quarter to pull within 3, the last touchdown coming with 2:45 left to play, but they were close and had a chance. It was a pretty even game, UCLA winning the first down battle 25-19, Arizona State winning the total offense battle 364-326. The thing that killed Arizona State was 2-11 on third down conversions for 18%.

As for my conference title hopes (sitting 5-0 in the Sun Belt Conference right now), no real upsets this week. UL Monroe evened up their conference record at 2-2 with a 39-20 win over Florida Atlantic, dropping the Owls to 2-3 and eliminating them from the conference title. Arkansas State improved to 3-1 in conference play with a 27-6 win over North Texas, dropping the Mean Green to 2-2 in conference and essentially eliminating them. Troy remains right on my ass with a 24-12 win over UL Lafayette to improve to 4-1 in the Sun Belt Conference, UL Lafayette drops to 2-2, essentially eliminating them as well.

It's still going to be very tough the rest of the season. I either have to go a perfect 8-0 in conference, or hope that Troy loses another game to either North Texas (2-6, 2-2), UL Monroe (4-4, 2-2) or Western Kentucky (1-8, 1-5). I also need to either actually beat Arkansas State for my first time in week 13 or hope that they lose a second game to either Mid Tennessee State (1-8, 0-5), UL Lafayette (4-4, 2-2) or Florida Atlantic (3-6, 2-3). Pretty horrendous, impossible odds for any of those chances (8-0 in conference, Troy losing a second time or Arkansas State losing a second time) to happen and come true. Fuck.

As of this point of the post, I have now advanced to week 12 in-game...

As for the popcorn eating games still to come, obviously, the biggest game of the season, #2 Alabama (9-0, 6-0) at #1 Mississippi State (9-0, 6-0). Get the popcorn ready. Ohio State (9-0, 5-0) remains stuck at #3, but is in good shape to go undefeated after surviving the Wisconsin/Penn State gauntlet. They just have games at 4-5 Indiana, against 6-2 #13 Illinois and at 5-4 Michigan. Penn State (8-1, 4-1) was able to hang up to their top 10 ranking, dropping to #9 for their game this week with #5 Wisconsin (8-1, 4-1). With Penn State's drop to #9, TCU (6-2, 4-2) moves up to #6 with a game against 4-4 (3-3) Texas this week. And Boise State (7-1, 5-0) is now #7, hosting Rutgers (7-1, 5-0) in what will essentially be the Big East championship game.

Looking at the Top 25 this week, Mississippi State remains #1, Alabama #2 and Ohio State #3. Oklahoma starts a trend from 4-8 by bumping up one to #4, Wisconsin #5, TCU #6, Boise State #7, Arkansas #8, Penn State down to #9 (from #4) and Oklahoma State up one to #10. UCF is up one to #11, Washington jumps up two to #12 (following their win over #22 Virginia), Illinois, Nevada and Baylor all make the second biggest jumps, moving up 6 from 19-20-21 to 13-14-15. Auburn drops down 6 to #16. Nebraska makes the biggest jump of the week, moving up 8 from 25 to 17 after their win over previously #13 Northwestern. That same Northwestern team drops 5 spots to #18. Oregon State is up 4 to #19, Northern Illinois up 4 to #20, Stanford drops 6 spots to #21. Georgia Tech makes their first appearance at #22 (with 6-3 record), Virginia (despite losing to #11 Washington) only drops one down to #23. Oregon makes their first appearance at #24 (with 6-3 record), and despite their 3 game slide, LSU holds on, dropping 9 spots down to #25.

Iowa (#17, lost 25-13 to Michigan (5-4) and Connecticut (#18, lost 41-34 to Syracuse (1-9) both drop out of the poll this week. Others getting votes, Miami (FL) is ranked 26th, followed by Florida State, Iowa, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Troy, NC State and Virginia Tech.

Looking at the new BCS... Alabama is still ranking #1, Mississippi State (#2) and Ohio State (#3) trade spots, all tied with 0.994 points. Oklahoma is up one to #4 with 0.983. Boise State jumps up one to #5 and TCU is up one to #6, both tied with 0.972. Wisconsin (0.968), Penn State (0.956), Arkansas (0.954) and Oklahoma State (0.948) all around out the top 10.

Looking at Awards and the semifinalists lists, Storm Johnson is currently ranked #8 for the Maxwell, #3 for the Walter Camp, and #4 for the Doak Walker awards.

And something I completely forgot to mention, Florida International swept the NCAA Players of the Week awards for Week 10. Storm Johnson was national offensive player of the week with 37 carries, 292 yards, 5 rushing touchdowns, 4 receptions, 75 yards and a receiving touchdown against UL Monroe. Redshirt senior defensive tackle Joshua Forney was the national defensive player of the week with 2 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss, an assisted tackle, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery against UL Monroe.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 02-24-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Nice ass beating against MTSU. Always feels good to get one of those. Hopefully the same next week.

LOTS of interesting things happening in the national title picture.