Page 12 of 85 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    It was a heck of a week this week in the Top 25. First, in the game of the week, #1 LSU keeps their perfect record intact with a 34-22 win over #4 Mississippi State. #2 Oklahoma State barely avoids becoming the third straight #2 team to lose, as they manage to hold on for a 28-21 win over Missouri. #7 TCU pulled out a 31-24 win over Connecticut. #8 Michigan State held on to get a 38-31 win over Indiana. #9 Wisconsin escapes an upset bid by Florida, 35-28.

#13 Nevada sees their perfect record go down the drain, as their lose their first ever Mountain West game, 24-17 to San Diego State. #17 South Carolina avoids being upset by Vanderbilt, hanging on to win 27-20. #20 Ole Miss got a 41-29 win over #24 Arkansas. #22 Michigan, for the second week in a row, gets a 10-0 win against a rival, this time over Minnesota. Things got even worse for #23 Nebraska, as Big Red falls for the second week in a row, this time to Penn State, 35-27. And #25 Maryland makes a one week visit to the Top 25, and will drop right back out after losing to Duke 29-21.

Alright, this dynasty is officially on a full, dead stop hold until further notice. Due to the changes made in the upgrade to a new board software version (link for details), I have dozens and dozens and dozens of posts that I have to go through and upgrade to the new format now.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Yeah man, same here. So many freakin' tables to update because of the forum update. Yikes...

I guess Tommy is going to look for an add-on, so hold off on updating for now.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Yeah man, same here. So many freakin' tables to update because of the forum update. Yikes...
    Yeah, it was quite the surprise when I woke up this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    I guess Tommy is going to look for an add-on, so hold off on updating for now.
    Well, I've already got all the tables for my coaching history stuff, my dynasty history, the contracts, the season 1 schedule, and the first two games from season 1 already switched to the new format. I'll probably go through and continue switching the game results over to the new format. The only thing I am not going to touch right now, because it would takes hour and hours and hours to do, are my posts containing the bowl games rundown, bowl games results, the end of season conference standings, all-americans, coaching carousel, etc.

Trying to upgrade those to the new format would take forever to do. So at least in regards to those posts, I hope Tommy can find an add-on for the old style tables, just so I don't have to try and go through the hassle of trying to update those specific posts. Everything else, the individual games, the season schedules, etc, I have no problem going through and updating.

Yeah, the real headache for me is gonna be the posts I have that have the team logos in them. Taking those emoticons off this website into a text editor results in complete garbage or missing logos completely upon reentry.

Definitely gonna be a pain in the ass to fix those.

I believe I have updated most if not all of your tables... if I missed any, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I believe I have updated most if not all of your tables... if I missed any, let me know.
    Wow, that's awesome! You really didn't have to, but thank you so much for being willing to take the time. I appreciate it man. It looks great!

Finally caught up! That was a lot of reading. Good season so far, 5-2? Can't get any better than that. Clemson's Dabo is currently at 9% or something like that in my OD, not sure how he survived.

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyReign View Post
    Finally caught up! That was a lot of reading. Good season so far, 5-2? Can't get any better than that. Clemson's Dabo is currently at 9% or something like that in my OD, not sure how he survived.
    Yeah, I had been going on a fairly good roll there with getting games played and results posted. Yeah, we've had a heck of a year so far. Still can't figure out UCF or Louisville, but I have them on our schedule through at least 2014, so I'll have a couple more cracks at them, especially after I get Storm Johnson eligible next year and put him in my backfield. Still some games left this year that can ruin it though.

We're getting into the tough part of the conference schedule. Troy was the toughest, and we got partly lucky, and partly had an effective gameplan since I had already played Troy earlier in the morning in the 360 TGT Coach Mode OD, in which I am also playing as FIU. We still have Arkansas State, Louisiana-Lafayette (may not be the greatest, but they gave me tons of problems last year), Florida Atlantic, UL Monroe (the win looked easy from the score, but they were a tough one last year as well). Lots of possible speed bumps along the way.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going to be seeing quite a few high prestige jobs coming up on the CC market, and some high profile names getting sent out into the cold.

This is an awesome read. I love doing things like this too, just not as in-depth as you did. One of the best I've seen, keep up the good work.

This is a fun cc to read through. I may have to steal some ideas for year 2 of my NIU cc.

I liked how you set up rules to follow, as well as scheduling contracts. I fins that as I progress through a couple seasons, I get bored quick because I don't have any limitations or guidelines to follow. I may start using some if your stuff in mine to make it more fun and worthwhile to play.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more updates.

Quote Originally Posted by arodtwlv View Post
    This is an awesome read. I love doing things like this too, just not as in-depth as you did. One of the best I've seen, keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by lildude39 View Post
    This is a fun cc to read through. I may have to steal some ideas for year 2 of my NIU cc.

I liked how you set up rules to follow, as well as scheduling contracts. I fins that as I progress through a couple seasons, I get bored quick because I don't have any limitations or guidelines to follow. I may start using some if your stuff in mine to make it more fun and worthwhile to play.

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to more updates.
    Hey guys, just realized I never replied to your comments. Thanks for reading and hopefully this baby will be getting revived in due time. For the past month and a half, it has been pure chaos here at work and other stuff going on that has killed my video game time altogether, as well as what time I do have being spent on some new games that have recently come out in the past month or two.

Not sure it'll be before the end of October, but this thing will be reviving, as the future looks promising and fun with the FIU Golden Panthers (as long as that godforsaken defense and defensive coordinator don't screw us over).

lildude39, feel free to use whatever you'd like to for your dynasty. I have no problem at all with people using my formats or layouts for stats and history stuff or game summaries. Feel free to use anything that catches your eye. And thanks for reading. Hopefully I'll have some updates in the near future to make your looking forward to more updates worthwhile.

FIU shall live again! I need to get some rotation going on with my games, as I pretty much have been playing on Halo Reach and MW3 with some of my friends, and playing a random other game off and on for a day or two. Nothing really keeping my interest for very long and every time I think about it, NCAA 12 has been calling my name. So time to pop NCAA 12 back in the tray and bring the Golden Panthers back to life. I'm gonna try to get my first game back and update posted sometime tomorrow, but with work getting busy these next three days, it might get postponed until Sunday.

Oh shit, FIU is on the prowl again.

Yep! Time to revive the Golden Panthers. I was having a great season when this went on hiatus and I'm looking forward to continuing it. Plus, with those two transfers from Miami (FL) that I had in the offseason, I was looking forward to getting them on the field in season 3 and having a beast of a HB and LB on my team.

Game Eight

Game Notes

--- Well, this ought to be interesting. Coming off a multiple month hiatus, the first game back, while thankfully against an underperforming Louisiana-Monroe squad, it is also a dangerous squad. Louisiana-Monroe comes into this game with a 2-4 record for the year, 1-1 in the Sun Belt. We’re 5-2 overall and 3-0 in conference play, leading the conference ahead of 2-0 Arkansas State. It was a sunny and mild day in Louisiana, with weather looking to have little to no effect on this game. We won the coin toss to start the game and elected to kick.

Louisiana-Monroe tried to get something going after a 23 yard kickoff return, but they quickly stalled out against our tough defensive unit, resulting in a punt, giving us the ball to start the day on our 21 yard line. A failed pitch to the right resulting in a three yard loss, followed by a sack that lost an additional 7 yards, quickly showed the rust our offense had accumulated. An incomplete pass later, and our offense trotted off the field as we punted on 4th and 21 from our own 10 yard line. After a short punt gave the Warhawks the ball back at their own 47, their offense found some life, as a 35 yard pass advanced them down inside the 15 yard line. Our defense however finally toughened up and stopped them on 3rd and 5 from our 8 yard line, forcing them to settle for a 25 yard field goal.

After a 24 yard kickoff return set our offense up with the ball on our 33 yard line, the offense was itching to go. A quick 14 yard strike to Darrian Mallary showed the offense was ready to go this time. Unfortunately, the offense wasn’t as ready as they thought, as the drive stalled out and we were forced to punt 3 plays later. After allowing the Warhawks offense 15 yards, the defense buckled down and shut them down, forcing a punt on 4th and 5 from their 27 yard line, giving us the ball back and giving our offense great field position. Exactly like our last possession, another quick strike from Jake Medlock, this time for 19 yards to Glenn Coleman, and we had another new set of downs, also getting us across midfield for the first time of the game. However, another three and out, and we would punt the ball right back to ULM.

Their drive however came to a sudden end as a pair of dropped passes left them facing 3rd and long, of which they could only get 6 yards on a 3rd down rush, forcing yet another punt. After an incomplete pass on 1st down, Medlock started to find his rhythm and quickly led the Golden Panthers down the field, including a 31 yard pass to Coleman to give us 1st and 10 on the ULM 24 yard line, the farthest we had advanced the ball all game. A pair of big gains on the ground by Lee Robinson, followed by a great run off the left side by Dominique Rhymes, and we had the ball first and goal on the Warhawks 8 yard line. Medlock would only need one play, a strike to Jacob Younger in the back left corner of the end zone, and we claimed the lead 7-3 with 21 seconds left in the first quarter. A 4 yard rush followed by a 15 yard pass interference penalty on the defense, and the first quarter would come to a close.

The beginning of the second quarter found ULM on their 39 yard line, with a new set of downs thanks to our defense. However, the drive would stall there as three straight incomplete passes would bring them screeching to a halt. Our offense would quickly pick right back up where it left off, as Robinson would pick up a first down on 2nd and 5 by break loose and scampering for a 24 yard gain to give us a new set of downs at midfield. A 12 yard pass to Junior Mertile on 3rd and 4, and the Golden Panthers had new life on the ULM 30 yard line. Mertile came through for us again three plays later on 3rd and 8, as he hauled in a 16 yard pass to give us a first down on the ULM 13 yard line, but not without some drama as the Warhawks defense proceeded to strip the ball from him, before our left guard Ceedrick Davis managed to jump on it. Two rushes later gave us 1st and goal on the 2 yard line, before Rhymes managed to take in it for the touchdown with 4:33 left to play.

Things would only get worse for the ULM offense, as a 10 yard sack on 1st down put them into an immediate hole. While they were able to connect on a pass for 20 yards, they still came up inches short from a first down, one that they would fail to get as an incomplete pass on 3rd and inches would doom them to another punt. Our offense however proved to not be up to the task, as they quickly went three and out and punted the ball right back. After ULM punted the ball back, our offense finally got things clicking, as they were able to advance the ball down the field, getting to the ULM 36 yard line, before three straight incomplete passes doomed our drive. Jack Griffin would trot out to attempt a 53 yard field goal, however it was no good as it went wide left. A 32 yard pass by ULM would get them as far as our own 29 yard line before they went three and out. However, instead of attempting the field goal, they were able to convert on 4th and 10 and connect on a 23 yard pass, setting them up with 1st and goal on our 7 yard line with 30 seconds left in the half. Two passes later, ULM found the end zone on a 1 yard pass to tighten the score to 14-10 with 18 seconds left to play in the half. Three straight incomplete passes and that would be the end of the quarter as the first half came to a close.

Our offense came out ready to start the second half and build our lead back up, as Medlock found Jeremiah Harden open on 1st down for a 20 yard gain to get the half started off on the right foot. A sick move by Mertile to get separated from a defender, and our offense quickly got deep into ULM territory as Mertile hauled in a pass then scampered for a 58 yard gain before being tackled at the Warhawks 6 yard line. Our left guard Davis once again proved a savior, as Robinson nearly screwed our offense on the first play as he fumbled the ball backwards, where there was no one to tackle a ULM defender if they had picked it up. Thankfully, Davis was able to fall on top of it and keep the ball in our possession. After that fumble caused us to get pushed back to the ULM 8 yard line, it was decided to abandon the run for the rest of that drive, which turned out to be a good call, as Medlock found tight end Yakeem Griner in the back of the end zone for an 8 yard touchdown pass on the very next play. An extra point later, and we had extended our lead out to 21-10.

After our defense was able to force ULM three and out, our offense quickly started advanced thanks to passes of 17 and 7 yards to Harden, moving us from our own 38 yard line to the ULM 38. However, the drive would come to an immediate halt as Robinson, in his third fumble of the day, lost the ball on the ULM 25 yard line as he was tackled in the open field after breaking loose on a rush up the middle, giving the ball right back to the Warhawks. Thankfully, our defense was able to hold Louisiana-Monroe to another three and out, giving us the ball back without any damage. After Robinson went out with an injury, we decided to open up the running game again, giving Rhymes a chance to do his stuff. While it went well for a while, as Rhymes singlehandedly got our offense all the way to the ULM 29 yard line, Rhymes eventually went down with a sprained wrist, forcing him out for the rest of the contest. As our only other backup at fullback was our tight end Griner, we were essentially limited to only our passing game for the rest of the day. We were able to advance the ball as far as the ULM 13 yard line, before our worst fears came true.

On 3rd and 11, Medlock dropped back to pass and just as he was about to start throwing the ball to an open receiver in the end zone, ULM’s safety, Henry Mitchell, broke loose from his blocker, hit Medlock, forcing the ball to come loose, and with no one back there with him, except for Medlock lying on his back, Mitchell picked the ball up and essentially moon walked the fumble recovery 79 yards for a touchdown with 6 seconds left to play in the third quarter. We would get one small victory however, as the extra point attempt was no good, leaving us with a 21-16 lead as we entered the fourth quarter.

Things were worrying at first as Medlock’s confidence appeared to be shaken, with two horribly thrown passes that had no chance of being completed. The ULM home crowd also roaring with renewed hope probably didn’t help much either. However, Medlock would finally show he was still capable of leading us to a win as he connected with Mertile on a 63 yard strike on 3rd and 10, that quickly quieted down the crowd and gave our offense new life at the ULM 16 yard line. Thanks to a couple of big rushes by Harden, we were able to advance the ball all the way to the ULM 1 yard line with first and goal. However, two stuffed runs and we were facing 3rd and goal from the 5 yard line. An attempted outside run on 3rd and goal, and once again the fumble bug bit us, as Kevin Van Kirk fumbled the ball, which ULM promptly pounced on at the 8 yard line, leaving us with no points and only a 5 point lead on the scoreboard with five minutes left in the game. Our defense however would again save us, forcing a three and out, followed by a 14 yard punt return by Mallary to give us the ball on the ULM 39 yard line with 4:36 left to play. And just like that, ULM got the ball right back as Robinson somehow found his way back into the game, and immediately fumbled the ball and gave it right back to the Warhawks on their own 41 yard line. They were able to advance the ball as far as our 25 yard line, before a couple busted runs and a false start penalty forced the Warhawks into a 4th and 17 situation from our own 32 yard line. With only 3 minutes left to play, instead of kicking the field goal, they went for it, with the pass falling incomplete, and turning it over on downs.

Unfortunately, we were only able to advance the ball 9 yards and were unable to get the first down. A pair of timeouts by ULM, and we punted the ball back to the Warhawks with 2:09 left to play. Things, however, could not have gotten worse for ULM. Taking over on their 12 yard line, a rush for a loss of 1 yard, followed by an incomplete pass, followed by a 10 yard holding penalty, setting up 3rd and 21 on their own one yard line, followed by two more incomplete passes, gave our offense the ball back on the ULM 1 yard line with 1:30 left to play. While we could have just gone the safe route and kneeled it three times and left the clock run out, we wanted blood. And first and goal on the one yard line is too good an opportunity to pass up. Two plays later, Robinson at least slightly redeemed his multiple fumbles, as he plowed into the end zone with 1:24 left to play. The extra point by Griffin, and we extended our lead to a game clinching 28-16. That touchdown did come with a cost however as Robinson ended up injuring himself on that play, ending up out for the next two weeks with turf toe.

ULM meanwhile showed they weren’t ready to go down without a fight, despite insurmountable odds, as they quickly moved downfield behind passes of 35 and 12 yards, even converting on 4th and 6 with an 18 yard pass. However, they would run out of time, as the clock hit zero with them only at our 9 yard line.

With the victory, we are officially bowl eligible as we improve our record for the season to 6-2, and remain perfect in the Sun Belt at 4-0. With the loss, UL Monroe drops to 2-5 for the year, 1-2 in conference play. Up next, we hit the home stretch of our two game road trip, as we travel to Mid Tennessee State. The Blue Raiders come into the game at 2-5 on the year, 2-2 in the Sun Belt. The Bleu Raiders opened up their season with a 52-13 loss at Georgia Tech and a 25-0 loss at home to Illinois. They would find the win column the following week as they defeated Western Kentucky on the road 31-13, but would quickly return to their losing ways with beatdowns of 69-3 at North Carolina and 44-14 at Troy. They would get back in the win column with a 14-7 edging of Lousiana-Lafayette, before falling to Florida Atlantic 29-12.

Meanwhile, our chances at winning the Sun Belt Conference title just got a big boost, as we are now the lone unbeaten team in conference play, with Arkansas State dropping to 2-1 in conference after getting whooped by Troy this week, 45-14.

Final Score
    28, 16

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Medlock was so-so, with some horrible passes, but also some great throws. Rushing game was horrible and they all deserve to be shot. 5 fumbles, 4 of them lost.

FIU Defense – We lose without the defense. Game ball goes to the entire defensive unit.

FIU Kicking – Made all his extra points today, however still missed a field goal, even if it was from 50+ yards out.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score
    7 7 7 7 28
    3 7 6 0 16

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    6:00 Field Goal C. Grant, 25 yard field goal 3-0
    0:21 Field Goal J. Younger, 8 yard pass from J. Medlock (J. Griffin kick) 7-3
    Second Quarter
    4:33 Touchdown D. Rhymes, 2 yard run (J. Griffin kick) 14-3
    0:18 Touchdown J. Edwards, 1 yard pass from K. Browning (C. Grant kick) 14-10
    Third Quarter
    7:31 Touchdown Y. Griner, 8 yard pass from J. Medlock (J. Griffin kick) 21-10
    0:18 Touchdown H. Mitchell, returned fumble 79 yards (missed kick) 21-16
    Fourth Quarter
    1:24 Touchdown L. Robinson, 1 yard run (J. Griffin kick) 28-16

Game Stats

Florida International Stat Louisiana-Monroe
    28 Score 16
    19 First Downs 10
    470 Total Offense 290
    35 - 113 - 2 Rushes - Yards - TD 18 - 58 - 0
    18 - 39 - 2 Comp - Att - TD 15 - 47 - 1
    357 Passing Yards 232
    2 Times Sacked 1
    6 - 15 (40%) 3rd Down Conversion 3 - 18 (16%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 4th Down Conversion 2 - 4 (50%)
    0 - 0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0 - 0 (0%)
    9 - 4 - 0 (44%) Red Zone - TD - FG 3 - 1 - 1 (66%)
    4 Turnovers 0
    4 Fumbles Lost 0
    0 Intercepted 0
    27 Punt Return Yards 3
    55 Kick Return Yards 42
    552 Total Yards 335
    5 – 45.2 Punts - Average 9 - 43.4
    3 - 38 Penalties 6 - 41
    24:59 Time of Possession 10:58

Florida International Contract Goals Update

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season 2/3 Passed
    Win 8 games in one season 6
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season 2/3 Passed
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 35 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

65%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 01-12-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Good win man. Must have been tough to get adjusted back to it after being away for so long.

Yes it was. That first half, the first quarter especially was rough. I also think I need to rework my playbook, because I couldn't find jack for plays that I remember using before. I have no shotgun, no HB plays (all FB or pitch), a lot of stuff missing. So I'm gonna have to go through and redo my offensive playbook before my next game, so I can get everything pieced back together and get all my formations and play types that I want back in there.

Oh yeah man, having a poor playbook is always a bad thing. Sounds like, when the fix for the playbook happened, it ripped most of your stuff out. Fix it back to the way it was and I'm sure your running game will be back to domination in no time.