Page 9 of 85 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    A couple updates. First, thanks to cdj adding the logos/icons of all the bowl games, as well as the ACC, Big 10, MAC, and SEC Championships, I have gone back through and updated my Conference Championship and Bowl Game posts with the new logos.

Second, I made one change to my scheduling rules. "Contracts" with teams, and the games associated with it, no longer necessarily need to be played in consecutive years. Looking at FIU's real life schedules, they have a home and home with Duke (H - 2011/A - 2012), Pittsburgh (A - 2010/H - 2014) and Texas A&M (A - 2010/H - 2013).

There was a series with Akron, with FIU travelling to Akron in 2011 and a home date for FIU TBD. However, it looks like Akron might be a one and done unless I decide to schedule them in the future, as it was a series that was scheduled under a former AD. Going out to 2015 in future schedules, Akron and FIU don't show up on each other's schedules, so it appears the series is just a one time game for now unless the two schools agree to the return trip to FIU sometime.

So with there being a 3 year gap between games with Texas A&M, and 4 year gap between the games with Pittsburgh (Florida International has a 4 game home and home series with Louisville and UCF through 2014), I'm going to follow the real life schedules out to 2015 and have changed my scheduling rules accordingly to allow those schedules.

Holy crap I just had a hell of a scare! I got home from work a little before 9pm. I get something to drink, come and sit down, and the light on my power brick is red. Unplugged everything and left it unplugged for about 15 minutes while I did some other stuff, just plugged it all back in, and thank God my Xbox turns on again. Dear God I thought my power brick had just become a paper weight.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Holy crap I just had a hell of a scare! I got home from work a little before 9pm. I get something to drink, come and sit down, and the light on my power brick is red. Unplugged everything and left it unplugged for about 15 minutes while I did some other stuff, just plugged it all back in, and thank God my Xbox turns on again. Dear God I thought my power brick had just become a paper weight.
    Nah, just a simple overload of power. Did you have a major storm in the area that made the power flicker for a moment? If not, you may want to think about checking your electrical outlet as it could have a short. Maybe think about plugging in the Xbox somewhere else (if it wasn't a simple power flicker).

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Nah, just a simple overload of power. Did you have a major storm in the area that made the power flicker for a moment? If not, you may want to think about checking your electrical outlet as it could have a short. Maybe think about plugging in the Xbox somewhere else (if it wasn't a simple power flicker).
    No, we haven't even had so much as a second or two of rain since Tuesday, much less a storm. It could possibly be a short somewhere I suppose, though I don't know how long the power brick light was red. I hadn't turned my Xbox on at all since Thursday morning when I made my off-season post, so it could have been the pain in the ass cats screwing something up with a loose cord or something. I got home from work Thursday night, and I was pissed off.

They had pissed in my recliner, they had knocked over some stuff I had sitting next to my laptop, spread all over and trashed some magazines I had sitting on a shelf. I ran off all of them from the room and slammed the door shut. They are never getting access to this room again. So for all I know, it could have been them doing something to cause one of the cables to come loose or get moved just so that it caused the power brick to turn red sometime Thursday evening.

Either way, thankfully it still works and some wasn't seriously wrong with it. This Xbox (and the power brick) have been out of warranty for years, so I'm just going day by day hoping nothing goes wrong with any of it.

Or become a man and get a PS3

Quote Originally Posted by JerzeyReign View Post
    Or become a man and get a PS3
    Oh, I'm good. While I have no opposition to the PS3 and even still own and occasionally play my old PS2 slim, pretty much 99% of my real life friends that I went to school with in high school or college, and other various friends from places like former jobs and whatnot, are all on 360. I probably have maybe 2 or 3 friends, maybe, who are on PS3, so 360 was pretty much my #1 choice regardless when it came to upgrading from my PS2 and original Xbox.

Bowling Green, Florida International Agree to Home and Home Series

Due to differences by the current athletic departments, the Akron series, that was started by the former athletic director of Florida International, has been suspended, with no date for Akron's trip to FIU scheduled in the near future. To make up for the loss of the home swing by Akron, Florida International announced today that they have agreed to a home and home series with the Bowling Green Falcons.

Head coach Mario Cristobal stated that he was excited to play Bowling Green and the level of talent that they have on their team, who went 6-6 last season, but was ultimately snubbed from a bowl game.

Bowling Green will play at Florida International this year (2012), with the Golden Panthers scheduled to make the second leg of the series in 2014.

2012 Florida International Football Schedule

Week Home/Away Team Result Score Record Game Notes
    1 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    2 Away Win 34-31 1-0 (0-0) Season Opener
    3 Away Loss 19-29 1-1 (0-0)
    4 Home Win 42-3 2-1 (0-0) Home Opener
    5 Home Loss 23-49 2-2 (0-0) Parent's Night
    6 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    7 Away Win 48-31 3-2 (1-0)
    8 Home Win 45-10 4-2 (2-0) Homecoming
    9 Home Win 43-35 5-2 (3-0)
    10 Away Win 28-16 6-2 (4-0)
    11 Away Win 30-13 7-2 (5-0)
    12 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    13 Home Loss 35-58 7-3 (5-1)
    14 Home Win 41-38 8-3 (6-1) Senior Night
    15 Away Win 30-0 9-3 (7-1)
    CCG --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    Bowl Win 44-31 10-3 (7-1) R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl

--- The scores are hyperlinks to the posted game report of that game. Just click on the score/link to be taken to that game's posted report.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 01-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Florida International 3 Year OC Contract Goals - Year 2

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    500+ rushing yards in each season 2/3 Passed
    Win 8 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season 2/3 Passed
    7+ passing TD in one season
    10+ points per game in each season 35 PPG
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

69%

--- Contract goal numbers and job security updated through Season 2, Off-season.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 01-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Preseason Top 25

Rank Team 2011 Record
    1 11-2
    2 12-2
    3 12-2
    4 13-1
    5 11-3
    6 10-3
    7 13-0
    8 11-2
    9 10-3
    10 12-2
    11 11-2
    12 11-2
    13 10-4
    14 11-2
    15 9-4
    16 9-4
    17 10-3
    18 10-4
    19 9-4
    20 8-5
    21 10-3
    22 10-3
    23 10-3
    24 11-2
    25 8-5

Sun Belt Teams and 2012 Opponents

Rank Team 2011 Record
    42 8-5
    55 10-3
    62 9-4
    64 7-6
    84 5-7
    91 6-7
    92 6-6
    101 5-7
    103 5-7
    104 4-8
    105 2-10
    107 4-8
    112 4-8
    Last edited by gschwendt; 08-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.

2012 Florida International Two Deep Roster

Offense

Spoiler: show
    Position Rank Name Year Overall
    QB 1 Jake Medlock Junior 73
    QB 2 Lorenzo Hammonds Freshman (RS) 60
    HB 1 Darrian Mallary Junior (RS) 77
    HB 2 Jeremiah Harden Senior (RS) 74
    FB 1 Lee Robinson Freshman 56
    FB 2 Joseph Green Freshman 40
    WR 1 Jacob Younger Senior (RS) 74
    WR 2 Junior Mertile Senior (RS) 72
    WR 3 Glenn Coleman Sophomore (RS) 68
    WR 4 Elijah Maxey Sophomore 67
    TE 1 Dominique Rhymes Sophomore 65
    TE 2 Yakeem Griner Sophomore 57
    LT 1 Calvin Hauptmann Senior 79
    LT 2 N/A --- ---
    LG 1 Ceedrick Davis Junior 73
    LG 2 Kevin Van Kirk Senoir 72
    C 1 Giancarlo Revilla Senior 74
    C 2 Kenneth White Senior (RS) 62
    RG 1 David Istanich Senior 62
    RG 2 Austin Tottle Junior (RS) 54
    RT 1 Rupert Bryan Senior 77
    RT 2 Derrick Wimberly Junior (RS) 66

Defense

Spoiler: show
    Position Rank Name Year Overall
    LE 1 Tourek Williams Senior 77
    LE 2 Chris Nasiff Junior (RS) 64
    RE 1 Isame Faciane Junior 68
    RE 2 James Jones Senior (RS) 58
    DT 1 Jerrico Lee Junior 72
    DT 2 Andre Pound Senior (RS) 70
    DT 3 Kasey Smith Senior (RS) 66
    DT 4 Andrew Mattok Junior (RS) 64
    LOLB 1 Caleb Vincent Junior 64
    LOLB 2 Bubba Brown Freshman 61
    MLB 1 Winston Fraser Senior (RS) 72
    MLB 2 Markeith Russell Senior 63
    ROLB 1 Kenneth Dillard Senior 70
    ROLB 2 Andrew Muhammad Freshman 54
    CB 1 Jose Cheeseborough Junior (RS) 75
    CB 2 Emmanuel Souarin Senior (RS) 74
    CB 3 Terrance Taylor Junior (RS) 69
    CB 4 Derrick Jones Junior (RS) 69
    FS 1 Jonathan Cyprien Senior 83
    FS 2 Antwoine Bell Senior 67
    SS 1 Cain Elliot Junior (RS) 70
    SS 2 Randy Williams Junior 62
    K 1 Jack Griffin Senior 82
    K 2 N/A --- ---
    P 1 Josh Brisk Senior (RS) 80
    P 2 Casey Wilson Freshman 61
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-26-2011 at 09:42 PM.

And it will not be a second straight year undefeated for Boise State. Just simmed through week 1 since I had a bye, and Michigan State knocks off the defending champion Broncos, 38-20. And the new season for the defending Big 10 champions starts off poorly, as Nevada mows down Nebraska 41-28. Nebraska falls to #13 in this week's poll, Boise drops to #15, and just like that, two of the top 7 teams in the preseason top 25 lose and are knocked out of the top 10.

Game One

Game Notes

--- Time to open up another season at Florida International. This is a season full of questions. Will our offense be able to perform without Wesley Carroll at quarterback? Without Darriet Perry at halfback? Without T.Y. Hilton at WR and returner? Will our defense remain tough even with a couple key losses scattered throughout? We were going to find out the answers to those questions quickly as we headed on the road to take on Duke, who we had pulled the miraculous upset against last year. Time to see if we could make it two in a row. Duke enters the contest 0-1 on the season, losing 31-28 to Notre Dame in week 1. Weather was calm, skies partly cloudy as the sun started it’s slow descent behind the press box. We lost the coin toss, Duke elected to kick.

Apparently, Duke forgot what we did to them last year, as they did not seem even remotely ready on defense. A couple of quick audibles at the line after Duke showed blitz, leading to a couple big gains through the air, followed by a couple of rushes by Darrian Mallary and Jeremiah Harden to get us down to the Duke 5 yard line, resulted in Mallary finding the end zone for a 5 yard touchdown run the very next play. Could history be repeating itself? I suppose we’d find out when our defense took the field for their first time of the season. For a moment, it appeared this was nothing but a dream. A facemask penalty on the defense, followed by consecutive passes for 21 and 25 yards, and Duke was inside our 20 yard line with only 20 seconds ticked off the clock. Fortunately for us, a fumble by a Duke wide receiver would be pounced on by DT Jerrico Lee, giving us the ball back on our 10 yard line.

Despite starting off slowly, no thanks to a horribly thrown pass by Jake Medlock on 2nd down that missed the WR by a mile, our offense eventually found a rhythm of passing and rushing that enabled us to move down the field seemingly at will, as well as being able to convert 5 third downs along the way. In the end, we once again found our way inside the Duke 10 yard line after going on a 17 play drive that ate over 5 minutes off the clock. We would convert our final 3rd down on the drive, as Medlock found Lee Robinson open on 3rd and 5 for a 6 yard touchdown pass to put us up 14-0 with 57 seconds left in the first quarter. Duke’s offense this time would respond, thanks yet once again to our defense for a facemask penalty, as well as a 35 yard pass that get them inside our 25 yard line. 5 rushes later by Josh Snead, and our lead was cut in half just one minute into the second quarter. That successful drive by the Blue Devil offense apparently awakened their defense, as our running and passing game suddenly faceplanted into concrete, going 3 and out, while going backwards 9 yards thanks to a sack, forcing our first punt of the game and season. Just to make things a little worse for us, our punt team false started, putting the ball on our 5 yard line and the punter up against the back of the end zone.

Duke’s offense got great field position, starting their drive at our 47 yard line, which they promptly acted on, as Sean Renfree connected on a pass for 27 yards to get down to our 20 yard line. Snead would pick up 9 yards on two rushes, and Renfree would complete a pass for one yard, but it wasn’t enough as Duke faced a 4th and inches situation. Rather than risk failing to convert, they settled for the 28 yard field goal. Things would get even worse for us. On the kickoff return, Jonathan Cyprien proceeded to fumble the ball on our 36 yard line, which Duke promptly recovered, setting the Blue Devils offense with yet another very short distance field position. Duke only needed three plays to find the end zone and take the lead. Our offense came out ready to respond, and after picking up a pair of first downs on the ground and through the air, found themselves facing 3rd and inches. We came out ready to pass. Duke came out ready to bring the house on a blitz. Medlock found Glenn Coleman open on a post route along the left hash. Medlock barely got the ball out before the blitz got to him, Coleman was able to haul the ball in, and raced 56 yards down the left side of the field before being brought down from behind at the Duke 1 yard line. One quick dive later by Mallary, and we had regained the lead with 3 minutes left in the half.

Duke, despite starting on their own 20 yard line for a change, was not ready to go down. Renfree hit passes of 20, 14 (on 3rd and 12) and 7 yards, Snead added multiple rushes of 4 and 5 yards, one 10 yard rush, and then finally an 11 yard rush to find the end zone with 1;10 left in the 1st half. Taking over with only 59 seconds left in the 2nd quarter and the ball on our 28 yard line, we abandoned the run game and focused entirely on the pass. Unfortunately, we learned the hard way that Medlock does NOT perform under pressure. Two incomplete passes and a 12 yard sack, and we were punting the ball away after taking only 15 seconds off the clock. Renfree would manage to hit passes of 16 and 15 yards to get the ball down to our 20 yard line, but Duke’s kicker, Rodney Coley, would miss the 37 yard field goal as time expired on the half.

Start of the third quarter, we would have to hope our defense could hold together as Duke got the ball first, already with a 3 point lead. Our defense would manage to do exactly that, giving up only 4 yards on a Snead rush before forcing two incomplete passes. The resulting punt and punt return gave us our best field position all game, as we took over on offense at our own 42 yard line. We unfortunately would only make it to the Duke 37 yard line before being forced to punt. Duke’s offense was able to find some quick success on the ground, advancing the ball 19 yards on 6 straight rushes by Snead, they would fail to convert on 3rd down however, and were forced to punt the ball back. Our offense was able to take advantage of some mistakes in coverage by the Duke secondary, and were able to work our way down the field, ending our drive with a touchdown as Medlock connected with Dominique Rhymes on a 25 yard pass. Unfortunately, Sir Shanks-a-lot made an appearance one again this season, missing the extra point to leave our lead at only 3 instead of 4. Duke tried to find an answer, but a sack on 3rd and 4 would quickly bring their drive to an end.

Our offense was able to finally start finding success again on the ground, as Mallary was able to start gaining some positive yards, coupled with a few key 2nd and 3rd down passes. We were able to move the ball 71 yards down the field over 12 plays, transitioning into the 4th quarter along the way, before Harden punched it in from the 1 yard line to give us a 10 point lead with 6:30 left to play in the game. Duke would waste little time answering. A 5 yard pass and a 5 yard scramble by Renfree gave the Blue Devils an early 1st down. Then they gave the ball to Snead. A couple jukes, two spins, a sidestep, and a stiff arm, and Snead was gone for a 65 yard touchdown rush in a 3 play, 45 second drive. Just like that, Duke was back within 3. We tried to keep it on the ground and chew up some clock, however, an incomplete pass on 3rd and 4, thanks to a heavy blitz, quickly ended our drive and gave Duke plenty of time to take back the lead. Despite giving up a 19 yard pass on 2nd down, our defense eventually buckled down at midfield, sacking Renfree for a 1 yard loss and forcing two incomplete passes to force the Blue Devils to punt the ball away with a little over 3 minutes left to play.

Hoping our offense would be able to drive the ball and either run out the clock or score another touchdown to put the game away, Medlock sure picked a great time to make his boneheaded play of the day, throwing his first interception of the day on 2nd and 9, giving Duke the ball at our 21 yard line. Thankfully for Medlock, who seemed destined to the bench after that play, the defense was able to force a fumble on the Blue Devils first play from scrimmage, which Kenneth Dillard pounced on, giving us the ball back on our 10 yard line with 2:15 remaining in the game. With Duke having three times out, we knew they’d be keying on the run game and would be ready to stop the clock in an instant. Also, being so deep in our territory, we couldn’t risk going three and out on the ground. It was time for Medlock to redeem himself and give us a much needed first down or two to seal the game. Medlock was ready to do just that, attacking the flats, which Duke left completely exposed, allowing us to pick up two quick first downs, and causing two Duke time outs, before hitting Mallary over the middle for an 8 yard gain, forcing Duke to burn their 3rd and final time out with 1:58 left in the game. A couple rushes and one more first down, and we would pull off a huge upset over the much favored Duke Blue Devils for the second year in a row.

Despite coming out in a goal line defense, Duke was unable to get to Mallary in time before he crossed the first down line, giving us a new set of downs with less than two minutes to play, virtually guaranteeing us the victory unless someone screwed up between now and the final 1:54 in the game. A 16 yard gain for a first down on 3rd and 6 with 10 seconds left, clinched the victory, and the upset for the second year in a row, once and for all for us, 34-31.

With the win, we improve to 1-0 on the season, getting a great victory to hopefully propel us into a successful season (if our defense doesn’t screw us over). With the loss, Duke falls to 0-2 to start their 2012 season. Next up for Florida International, UCF, who comes into the game 1-0 on the season following a 38-3 win over Akron.

Final Score
    34, 31

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Despite mistakes and bad passes by Medlock, was able to gain 371 yards through the air. A perfect 4 for 4 in the Duke red zone.

FIU Quarterback Jake Medlock – Did good overall for his first start, but the interception in the 4th quarter, that never should have happened, almost cost us the game.

FIU Running – While we finished with 87 yards for the game on 37 carries, at one point only had 33 yards on 24 carries.

FIU Defense – Made some great plays to force turnovers, but gave up way too many big plays that ended in touchdowns.

FIU Returners – Set us up with some good field position throughout the day, but CANNOT be fumbling the ball on kickoff returns.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    7:10 Touchdown D. Mallary, 5 yard run (J. Griffin kick) 7-0
    0:57 Touchdown L. Robinson, 6 yard pass from J. Medlock (J. Griffin kick) 14-0
    Second Quarter
    8:08 Touchdown J. Snead, 5 yard run (R. Coley kick) 14-7
    6:06 Field Goal R. Coley, 27 yard field goal 14-10
    5:14 Touchdown J. Snead, 9 yard run (R. Coley kick) 17-14
    3:21 Touchdown D. Mallary, 1 yard run (J. Griffin kick) 21-17
    1:10 Touchdown C. Vernon, 9 yard pass from S. Renfree (R. Coley kick) 24-21
    Third Quarter
    4:14 Touchdown D. Rhymes, 25 yard pass from J. Medlock (missed kick) 27-24
    Fourth Quarter
    6:42 Touchdown J. Harden, 1 yard run (J. Griffin kick) 34-24
    5:44 Touchdown J. Snead, 65 yard run (R. Coley kick) 34-31

Game Stats

Florida International Stat Duke
    34 Score 31
    21 First Downs 17
    458 Total Offense 457
    37-87-3 Rushes - Yards - TD 32-199-3
    22-29-2 Comp - Att - TD 17-24-1
    371 Passing Yards 258
    3 Times Sacked 1
    9-13 (69%) 3rd Down Conv 6-11 (54%)
    0-0 (0%) 4th Down Conv 0-0 (0%)
    0-0 (0%) 2-Point Conv 0-0 (0%)
    4-4-0 (100%) Red Zone - TD - FG 8-3-1 (50%)
    2 Turnovers 2
    1 Fumbles Losts 2
    1 Intercepted 0
    18 Punt Return Yards 12
    127 Kick Return Yards 65
    603 Total Yards 534
    4 - 42.3 Punts - Average 4 - 41.8
    4 - 47 Penalties 3 - 20
    21:03 Time of Possession 14:57

Florida International Contract Goals Update

500+ rushing yards in each season 87
    Win 8 games in one season 1
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season 458
    10+ points per game in each season 34 PPG
    Bonus Goal
    Beat a higher ranked team

Job Security Status

69%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-26-2011 at 09:25 PM.

So apparently I just plain have Duke's number when it comes to football. Two years in a row I knock them off, oddly enough, by the same margin. Two years where we jumped out to a quick and early lead, only to watch them come storming back to make it a contest. With two upsets in two years over them, I'm rather sad to see our contract with them end after this season.

As for the game itself, the offense did good for the most part. Medlock is clearly not a championship QB. Horrible lame duck passes, multiple receivers overthrown by a mile, and that stupid as hell interception in the 4th quarter that never should have happened.

My defense scares the hell out of me. They could be the reason I lose a number of games this year, and not my failures on offense like I had last season.

We're going to find out if this was a fluke victory or not, and whether not my defense is at all dependable this season, as we play at UCF next game, the same UCF who whooped my ass 58-9 last year.

And down goes more teams. Ole Miss knocks off #23 Pitt in overtime 46-38. Kansas State shoots down #4 Miami (FL) 24-20. And #7 Oklahoma, who is by far the highest rated and best team in 2012, gets taken to the woodshed by #12 TCU, 42-17.

I am also now worried about this year, after seeing how the other Sun Belt teams did. While they lost, Florida Atlantic hung around with Vanderbilt, only losing 27-18 and UL Monroe only lost 34-26 to #9 Florida State. Troy whipped UAB 54-24 and Arkansas State beat Memphis 45-35. North Texas got whooped by LSU, Alabama smacked around Western Kentucky, Georgia Tech gutted Mid Tennessee State, and Lafayette played FCS East.

And wow what a difference an off-season and two weeks make. There really weren't any coaches in danger of being fired after going through coaching carousel during the off-season.

But now at the end of week 2 in 2012, boy oh boy is the coaching hot seat heating up.

Coach Position Team Job Security 2012 Record 2011 Record
    Dana Holgorsen Head Coach 10% 0-1 5-7
    Dabo Swinney Head Coach 12% 0-0 4-8
    Butch Davis Head Coach 19% 0-0 5-7
    Larry Porter Head Coach 20% 0-1 1-11
    Paul Wulff Head Coach 20% 0-0 2-10
    Bronco Mendenhall Head Coach 21% 0-0 5-7
    Dennis Erickson Head Coach 27% 0-0 4-8
    Will Muschamp Head Coach 29% 1-0 6-7
    Other Notables
    Charlie Strong Head Coach 32% 0-0 5-7
    Mark Richt Head Coach 33% 0-0 5-7
    Mack Brown Head Coach 36% 0-0 (7-6)
    Derek Dooley Head Coach 42% 0-1 6-7
    Joe Paterno Head Coach 45% 1-0 8-5
    Jeff Tedford Head Coach 46% 1-0 5-7
    Lane Kiffin Head Coach 46% 1-0 9-4
    Last edited by gschwendt; 08-20-2011 at 07:44 PM.

EA hates WVU now... I've yet to have a dynasty where Holgorsen hasn't been fired after, at the most, 2 seasons.

Yeah, I was shocked to see Holgorsen drop that far. He was only in the 30s or 40s at the end of last season. This year, with only one game play (granted, a loss), and he's the leading candidate for getting a boot up his ass at 10%. Really surprised me.

I'm going to keep an eye on the numbers, probably post updates of the hot seat every 3-4 weeks.

Now that I finally got that piece of shit DSL working for the first time since 10am this morning, I can finally get back to my dynasty and get bent over by UCF.

Man, I've been so busy with worth and shit, I haven't even had time to turn my Xbox on, and, today, when I finally do, I wasn't feelin' like playing NCAA. Probably won't get a chance to play for a while now, which sucks, but I also needed a break anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Man, I've been so busy with worth and shit, I haven't even had time to turn my Xbox on, and, today, when I finally do, I wasn't feelin' like playing NCAA. Probably won't get a chance to play for a while now, which sucks, but I also needed a break anyway.
    Yeah, a break definitely can be nice. Being busy with work Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and then the stupid ass DSL not working for almost all of today, I got a pretty good break from gaming this weekend, and it was definitely refreshing.

Game Two

Game Notes

--- After scoring an upset over Duke for the second year in a row, and actually getting our season started off on the right foot this year, our boys were fired up and ready to go for our game against UCF. After the 58-9 whooping they put on us last year, we wanted nothing more than to return the favor. We lost the coin toss, UCF elected to kick.

This was clearly going to be a tough game as UCF started bringing heavy blitz immediately on the first play of the game, and didn’t let up. We had a scare on our 3rd play of the game, as Darrian Mallary didn’t get up after converting the 3rd down for us. Fortunately, our training staff told us he was only suffering from back spasms and it was nothing major. Not wanting to take a risk of further injury, even with a low re-injury risk, we decided to pull Mallary from the game for the time being in an abundance of caution, and Jeremiah Harden to keep us moving on the ground. A couple of key runs kept our drive alive, even overcoming a few passes from Jake Medlock that went sailing way over our receivers heads. Unfortunately, we would leave the field after getting down to the UCF 36 yard line, as facing a 4th and inches situation, coach Cristobal decided not to try and go for it. Instead, he put his faith in Jack Griffin to get us on the board, and by God, he did exactly that, nailing a 53 yard field goal, the longest of his career, to give us the early lead.

Our defense at first seemed to have forgotten it was time to play, quickly giving up a 10 yard rush and 14 yard pass, but they got settled down shortly after and stuffed UCF the next three plays to force the first punt of the game. Seeing blitz by the defense, Medlock called an audible, changing from the previously called run to a pass, which the defense failed to adjust to, allowing Medlock to connect with Elijah Maxey for a 27 yard gain to get us out to midfield. Things would go downhill from there, as a failed pass ended in another injury for Darrian Mallary, who would leave the game for two quarters after suffering an abdominal strain. Coach Cristobal decided to take Mallary out permanently for the rest of the game, and bumped Harden up the depth chart for the remainder of the day. One play later, we were able to convert on 3rd and 9 and keep our drive alive, reaching all the way down to the UCF 6 yard line before we were unable to continue any farther, once again turning the ball over to our kicking team, as Griffin connected on his second field goal of the day from 23 yards out to extend our lead with only 16 seconds left to play in the first quarter.

The start of second quarter made our team wish we could have stayed in the first, as our defense collapsed like a fallen soufflé, as UCF marched right down the field on us thanks to multiple 9 yard runs by Brynn Harvey, and passes of 11, 22, and 16 yards, making for a very easy touchdown drive. Our offense didn’t fare much better, going backwards thanks to a pair of sacks. Our defense once again proved incompetent, giving up a 20 yard pass on 3rd and 15 to let UCF keep their drive alive. Somehow by Jove, our defense managed to eventually stop them to force 4th and 1, to which UCF sent out their punt team. After a very nice 8 yard scramble by Medlock to escape a collapsing pocket, Harden failed to do anything on 2nd and 3rd downs, gaining only a single yard before forcing us to punt the ball back to UCF. Our defense, while buckling and giving up multiple first downs, were eventually able to stop UCF at our 33 yard line. A pass attempt on 4th and 1 would fall incomplete, forcing the turnover on downs. We however would go 3 and out. UCF only needed 6 plays to drive the ball 65 yards, thanks in part to passes of 17 and 35 yards, finding the end zone a second time with only 31 seconds left in the half.

With only mere seconds left in the half, we were able to get all the way down to the UCF 32 thanks to a 47 yard pass. Unfortunately, as has been becoming the case with Medlock, a successful play was quickly following by a “bang your head on the wall” as Medlock tried to force a throw into coverage, where it was promptly picked off by the defense with 7 seconds left in the half. UCF would run out the clock to take the 14-6 halftime lead, knowing they would get the ball right back after the half.

Our defense appeared to still be incompetent, giving up multiple first downs on the ground, before being burned on a 27 yard pass. But they eventually settled down and held UCF at our 39 yard line. UCF would try to go for it on 4th and 11, but a 5 yard sack quickly killed their hopes of a conversion. Taking over at our own 44 yard line, the offense had hopes of their own, taking advantage of the very generous field position, and driving down for a touchdown to close the gap. Our drive however would end just three plays later, as Harden once again failed to convert a 3rd and inches attempt, and coach Cristobal once again refused to attempt to gain the conversion on 4th down. Despite a fantastic punt by Josh Brisk that trapped UCF at their own 2 yard line, our defense once again folded like a paper sack, letting UCF advance the ball clear out to our 47 yard line before finally bringing the potent offense to a halt.

Starting our new drive on our 10 yard line, we were once again met with a very familiar site, a blitz heavy defense, ready to stop our rush attempt. An audible to a pass however failed to help as it was quickly batted down incomplete. Knowing that UCF was more than ready to blitz the house when we came out showing run, we decided it was time to take to the air, and hard. A couple of great passes, including a WR Screen that picked up 13 yards, thanks in part to a sick juke by Jacob Younger, and we were able to get the ball deep into UCF territory. It take 3rd and goal from the 4 yard line before we were finally able to find the end zone. Coach Cristobal gave us the green light for the two point conversion. Unfortunately one of our receivers didn’t run his route correctly, resulting in the pass being knocked incomplete, when it should have been an easy completion. That apparently pissed off UCF, as they slammed the ball down the throats of our defense, even choosing to go for it on 4th and 7 from our 30 yard line just before the end of the third quarter, just so they could score a touchdown rather than settle for only a field goal.

Our offense had no answer, quickly going 3 and out. As if we weren’t already in a deep enough hole, down 9 with only 6 minutes left to play, and a defense you couldn’t depend on for anything, our dumbass defense decided to help UCF out, giving them 15 free yards thanks to a facemask on 1st down. Couple that with a 22 yard pass, and UCF suddenly found themselves inside our 35 yard line. UCF would score a couple plays later, as our worthless as hell defense let them twice convert on 3rd down inside our 30. Then just to smack us like a red-headed step child even more, they went for, and converted, the two point conversion. Our offense never got anything going, as Medlock started overthrowing every receiver left and right. Despite failing to convert the 4th down attempt, our defense came through and forced a fumble, giving our offense new life. A couple quick passes, and we were down inside the UCF 15 yard line with 3 minutes left to play. This time we were not going to be denied, as Harden found a hole and sprinted into the end zone from 8 yards out to pull us within 10 points with 2:30 left in the game.

The onside kick failed, and UCF systematically marched down the field, getting as close as our 2 yard line before kneeling the ball and running out the last 25 seconds of the game. With the loss, we drop to 1-1 on the season. With the victory, UCF improves to 2-0 for the year. Up next for the Golden Panthers, we welcome Bowling Green to town for our home opener. The Falcons enter the contest at 1-1 on the season, losing their season opener at Florida, 26-9, before picking up a win in their home opener over Idaho, 14-9.

Final Score
    29, 19

Stat(s) of the Game:
    FIU Offense – Running game sucked, Jake Medlock’s passes sucked.

FIU Defense – Absolutely awful. 542 yards total offense given up. 238 rushing yards given up. These guys wouldn’t even start for a damn high school team they suck so bad.

FIU Kicking – Jack Griffin actually went perfect for a change, hitting both field goals and his lone PAT attempt.

Scoring Summary

Team 1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final Score

Time Team Result Play Score
    First Quarter
    5:44 Field Goal J. Griffin, 53 yard field goal 3-0
    0:19 Field Goal J. Griffin, 23 yard field goal 6-0
    Second Quarter
    6:58 Touchdown B. Harvey, 7 yard run (L. Paul kick) 7-6
    0:31 Touchdown L. Murray, 5 yard pass from J. Godfrey (L. Paul kick) 14-6
    Third Quarter
    1:52 Touchdown G. Coleman, 4 yard pass from J. Medlock (2-point failed) 14-12
    Fourth Quarter
    8:21 Touchdown B. Harvey, 2 yard run (L. Paul kick) 21-12
    4:49 Touchdown Q. McDuffie, 18 yard pass from J. Godfrey (2-point conversion) 29-12
    2:36 Touchdown J. Harden, 8 yard run (J. Griffin kick) 29-19

Game Stats

Florida International Stat Duke
    19 Score 29
    17 First Downs 26
    377 Total Offense 542
    25-63-1 Rushes - Yards - TD 52-238-2
    22-42-1 Comp - Att - TD 20-31-2
    314 Passing Yards 304
    1 Times Sacked 3
    8-16 (50%) 3rd Down Conv 10-16 (62%)
    0-1 (0%) 4th Down Conv 1-3 (33%)
    0-1 (0%) 2-Point Conv 1-1 (100%)
    5-2-1 (60%) Red Zone - TD - FG 8-4-0 (50%)
    1 Turnovers 1
    0 Fumbles Losts 1
    1 Intercepted 0
    6 Punt Return Yards 13
    67 Kick Return Yards 58
    450 Total Yards 613
    5 - 43.0 Punts - Average 3 - 39.7
    2 - 20 Penalties 4 - 29
    18:03 Time of Possession 17:57

Florida International Contract Goals Update

500+ rushing yards in each season 150
    Win 8 games in one season 1
    2000+ total offensive yards in each season 835
    10+ points per game in each season 26 PPG

Job Security Status

69%
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-26-2011 at 09:26 PM.