Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1694

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Marko Ramius Leaves Tulsa

By Staff Reports on March 7, 2020, at 6:00 PM

TULSA – A shock wave was sent through the Tulsa program and its fans today, as Marko Ramius announced he was leaving the program after turning down an extension of his contract at the end of the 2019 season.

"After the last 6 years coaching hundreds of great young men during many successful seasons in Conference USA and the Big East, I have decided it is time to take that next big step in my coaching career and open the door for new blood to take the reigns of the Tulsa offense." said Ramius. "I want to thank the administration here at Tulsa, the players and most importantly the fans, who came out week after week, season after season to watch our boys win games."

Ramius leaves after a 6 year stretch with the Golden Hurricane, coaching them to a 60-21 record and a 42-7 conference mark between Conference USA and the Big East. Along the way, Ramius collected three C-USA championships, bowl victories over UAB, Louisville and Georgia Tech, an O'Brien award winner and a plethora of All-Americans.

Heading into the off-season, Ramius' name had been linked to potential position openings at Akron, Army, Boise State, Northwestern, Oregon State, South Carolina, Stanford, Washington and Washington State.

A number of names ended up falling by the wayside as expected job openings failed to develop.

"I was keeping my options open going into the off-season, waiting to see what offers would come my way. South Carolina had me on their short list, but ended up going a different direction, while Northwestern, a school my name kept popping up next to in papers in recent months, an open position never materialized as the Wildcats chose to stick with the status quo for another season." stated Ramius.

Ramius continued, "While the offers were slow going early on, eventually they started pouring in from all over, head coaching offers from Akron, Ball State, Miami University, Minnesota, even Ole Miss, UCLA and Washington got in touch about their head coach openings. While I was honored to receive head coach offers from some of the big teams in the college football world, I couldn't in good faith take the position. Having been an offensive coordinator my entire career, jumping from OC at mid-major programs to head coach of a major program was a bit bigger of a jump than I was willing to make. I preferred to get my head coaching feet wet in the mid-major ranks so I wouldn't end up in over my head if I eventually call a major program home in the future."

But still, despite declining the head coaching offer, Washington wouldn't go away.

"I was surprised, after declining the contract offer on the head coach position at Washington, they came right back two days later offering me the offensive coordinator position. It was an offer that I sat on until my final decision." said Ramius.

"Of course, I had many more offensive coordinator offers than I had even received for head coach positions. Teams from across the nation were banging down my door with hopes of signing me. North Carolina spent two days in town, Stanford was right on their heels, Army, Boise State, Indiana and even Penn State gave me a call in regards to their job openings. I suppose as a testament to our offenses we produced at Tulsa that ran over opponents week after week, our conference opponents Connecticut, East Carolina, Houston and SMU all came calling to see about hiring me."

Ultimately, Ramius would whittle down the list of offers to just three.

"While the offers and phone calls kept flooding in, eventually three openings stood out to me. I had the offer from Washington to be their offensive coordinator, as well as an OC offer from Boise State. Boise State made it a difficult choice just because of the chance to go and coach on one of the hottest teams in the last decade and be able to take in that rich history firsthand. Washington, again, was one that instantly stood out as Washington is a school that I have long wanted to coach at some day, be it head coach or offensive coordinator."

But while mulling over the offers from Boise State and Washington, a third name came into the mix at the very end that shook up the entire decision process.

"I was sitting there stuck in the middle of a tough decision between Boise State and Washington, when the phone rang. It was another job offer, one from a school that wasn't even expected to make a change this season. At the very end of the cycle, Utah State had finished reviewing the season prior and despite good performances when it came to his contract, the administration decided an 0-12 season was too much and fired head coach George O'Leary. With most teams already settled down with their coaching staffs for the 2020 season, Utah State immediately threw up a hail mary to me to try and lure me in."

The addition of a head coach position at Utah State made an already difficult decision that much harder.

"Oh, the addition of Utah State completely threw everything out of balance. I had felt I was getting close to a decision between Boise State and Washington, but then to have the Utah State offer come it, it was back to square one. While Utah State, coming off an 0-12 season, definitely wasn't an ideal landing spot, the fact that it was head coaching position, one with most likely low expectations, it would be the perfect place to dip the feet into the head coaching pool, whereas I'd be instantly thrown into the fire as OC at Boise State and Washington and have to live up to regularly high expectations."

Eventually, after much additional consideration, Ramius came to his decision.

"Well, all three offers had their own positives and negatives to offer. Eventually, after much hard thought, I declined the Boise State offer. If I was going to remain an offensive coordinator, I wanted to do it with Washington and get a taste of west coast football in the Pac-12. So then it was down to just two offers. Offensive Coordinator at Washington or Head Coach at Utah State. After much more intense thought and decision making, I figured if my coaching career was ever going to be able to go up, I was going to have to take the leap. So I decided to make a hell of a splash with that leap, and accepted the head coach opening at Utah State."

With the decision made, Ramius shared his final thoughts as the 2020 season loomed on the horizon.

"It's certainly not going to be an easy job. The Aggies have a lot of holes that we'll need to get filled and a lot of ground to make up to be a competitive team. It doesn't help matters that we'll be going up against the likes of Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, Frenso State, Hawaii and San Diego State in conference play. It's going to be a true battle week after week to pull off wins and improve the program. But I'm looking forward to the challenge."

So it's official. Marko Ramius, after six years at the helm of the offense at Tulsa, declines an extension at the end of his contract, steps down and, spurning offers the likes of Boise State, North Carolina, UCLA and Washington, decides to become the next head coach of Utah State, a team coming off an 0-12 season last year.

Utah State will get their 2020 season underway with a trip to take on rival Utah on August 29th.
    Honestly, this may be one of the best write-ups I have read all year. Awesome work Smooth! Funny enough, Utah St. is one of the teams on my shortlist for NCAA 14. I don't know if I want to start as a coordinator this year because I really want to try out the coach skills but I will probably decide tonight. Utah St., Idaho, ASU, Marshall, Texas St. are all candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Honestly, this may be one of the best write-ups I have read all year. Awesome work Smooth! Funny enough, Utah St. is one of the teams on my shortlist for NCAA 14. I don't know if I want to start as a coordinator this year because I really want to try out the coach skills but I will probably decide tonight. Utah St., Idaho, ASU, Marshall, Texas St. are all candidates.
    I appreciate it Jaymo.

I wasn't quite sure where I was going to go with that write-up when I started it. I first started it as sort of a press release about me leaving Tulsa with a quick blurb or two of quotes, but as I kept typing, it sort of grew into a full story and interview and I just kept it going from there on the details as I worked my way through the decision process. I'm definitely happy with how it ultimately turned out.

Now that is funny. Yeah, Utah State was never even on my radar of consideration until Jayrah posted some pictures of "possible" new helmets for them last Wednesday in the Wishlist & Feedback forum. Ever since that post, it just sort of stuck in my mind, Utah State. I should go to Utah State. I wasn't completely sure on the move because they had just gone 0-12 in the 2019 season, so it was gonna be a hell of a challenge, but when the job offer popped up in the coaching carousel, I just instantly knew it was the move I want to make. I knew it was the right place for me.

Man, that's a tough choice of teams. Utah State and Idaho would both be fun and a challenge with them not directly in any recruiting hotbeds. Texas State seems like a fun team, from my two games played against them and from how they've done in my '13 dynasty, plus you have the Texas hotbed to recruit from. Marshall would be in the boat, a fun team and a fun offense. ASU, I knew that would be on the list.

Looking forward to hearing which team you choose.

I appreciate it Jaymo.

I wasn't quite sure where I was going to go with that write-up when I started it. I first started it as sort of a press release about me leaving Tulsa with a quick blurb or two of quotes, but as I kept typing, it sort of grew into a full story and interview and I just kept it going from there on the details as I worked my way through the decision process. I'm definitely happy with how it ultimately turned out.

Now that is funny. Yeah, Utah State was never even on my radar of consideration until Jayrah posted some pictures of "possible" new helmets for them last Wednesday in the Wishlist & Feedback forum. Ever since that post, it just sort of stuck in my mind, Utah State. I should go to Utah State. I wasn't completely sure on the move because they had just gone 0-12 in the 2019 season, so it was gonna be a hell of a challenge, but when the job offer popped up in the coaching carousel, I just instantly knew it was the move I want to make. I knew it was the right place for me.

Man, that's a tough choice of teams. Utah State and Idaho would both be fun and a challenge with them not directly in any recruiting hotbeds. Texas State seems like a fun team, from my two games played against them and from how they've done in my '13 dynasty, plus you have the Texas hotbed to recruit from. Marshall would be in the boat, a fun team and a fun offense. ASU, I knew that would be on the list.

Looking forward to hearing which team you choose.
    Pastapadre has a video link in NCAA 14 of Utah vs Utah St. State got owned pretty bad. You have your work cut out for you. I must say though... I do love the new Utah St. jerseys!

So have you decided if you will now use the playbooks of your "NEW" coordinators? Last year after I got my first HC gig at BYU I sopped using my custom book and took on the books of my coordinators. In my first year I had a Pistol/4-3 but since we won the NC both coaches left and I got a new pistol book and a 3-4 D... which I dislike greatly. It made dynasty a lot more fun. When you have to change up and move away from what works it can be a unique experience.

Pastapadre has a video link in NCAA 14 of Utah vs Utah St. State got owned pretty bad. You have your work cut out for you. I must say though... I do love the new Utah St. jerseys!

So have you decided if you will now use the playbooks of your "NEW" coordinators? Last year after I got my first HC gig at BYU I sopped using my custom book and took on the books of my coordinators. In my first year I had a Pistol/4-3 but since we won the NC both coaches left and I got a new pistol book and a 3-4 D... which I dislike greatly. It made dynasty a lot more fun. When you have to change up and move away from what works it can be a unique experience.
    Yeah, I just pulled up Utah State in Teambuilder. They have, mostly, good starters and some decent second-stringers, but then it just goes straight off a cliff from there. Their starting FB is 58 OVR. Cornerbacks, one 84 and then the rest 66 or worse. A couple positions that the best player is 68 or 69. Yeah, this could be rough.

You know, I haven't really given too much thought on playbooks yet. I haven't even fired up NCAA '14 for the first time yet.

I may have to give that way a whirl. It would be nice to actually have the coordinators play a part in the game now that I'm head coach. Since EA still hasn't really found a way to have coordinators be a meaningful part of the game other than just names in the coaching carousel, I may go that route. It does get a bit annoying having to keep recreating a custom playbook every single edition of the game.

And thinking about it now for the first time, ugh, I am going to suck on defense this year. I have literally not play a single down of defense since NCAA '11. I was an offensive coordinator at FIU (the only games I played were my dynasty games) in NCAA '12, same with Tulsa in NCAA '13. So it's been a good 2 years plus since I last played a defensive down in the NCAA series. This could be rough.

Yeah, I just pulled up Utah State in Teambuilder. They have, mostly, good starters and some decent second-stringers, but then it just goes straight off a cliff from there. Their starting FB is 58 OVR. Cornerbacks, one 84 and then the rest 66 or worse. A couple positions that the best player is 68 or 69. Yeah, this could be rough.

You know, I haven't really given too much thought on playbooks yet. I haven't even fired up NCAA '14 for the first time yet.

I may have to give that way a whirl. It would be nice to actually have the coordinators play a part in the game now that I'm head coach. Since EA still hasn't really found a way to have coordinators be a meaningful part of the game other than just names in the coaching carousel, I may go that route. It does get a bit annoying having to keep recreating a custom playbook every single edition of the game.

And thinking about it now for the first time, ugh, I am going to suck on defense this year. I have literally not play a single down of defense since NCAA '11. I was an offensive coordinator at FIU (the only games I played were my dynasty games) in NCAA '12, same with Tulsa in NCAA '13. So it's been a good 2 years plus since I last played a defensive down in the NCAA series. This could be rough.

It isn't what it should be but coordinators make some difference this year. In my Texas State sim dynasty, in like 2018 both of my coordinators left for new jobs. We brought in a young OC, who only had one point to spend in his coaching tree and he needed to be built up. On the other hand, they hired Al Golden as DC, who was two levels from maxing out on his tree (LvL 25) which was really nice to have, especially as many of the higher upgrades are pretty strong.

Since last night I have rethought things. I have played about 10 games with Arizona St to test sliders. I find I am pretty attached to some of the players right now so I decided to start a dynasty as the OC for ASU with a lowly 1 coach skill. I'm not sure if this will be a test dynasty only but if I do stay with it I will be jumping ship to any HC job as soon as I can because I really want to build a programme and coach skills.

Since last night I have rethought things. I have played about 10 games with Arizona St to test sliders. I find I am pretty attached to some of the players right now so I decided to start a dynasty as the OC for ASU with a lowly 1 coach skill. I'm not sure if this will be a test dynasty only but if I do stay with it I will be jumping ship to any HC job as soon as I can because I really want to build a programme and coach skills.
    Best of luck man. Coach skills are definitely going to play a huge role this year, I've already discovered that.

2019-20 Off-Season

Conference Changes

Team Old Conference New Conference
    Mountain Division

West Division
    DECEASED
    Mountain Division
    Independent
    Mountain Division
    Independent
    Mountain Division
    West Division
    West Division
    East Division West Division
    West Division
    Mountain Division
    East Division
    West Division
    West Division
    FCS Independent
    East Division
    West Division
    Mountain Division
    Mountain Division

BCS Bowl Tie Ins

Slots Conference Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Any Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Orange Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Rose Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Fiesta Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Any Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Rose Bowl
    Automatic Qualifier Sugar Bowl
    Open Slot At Large Any Bowl

Smooth I don't recall, did you move NAVY to the AAC? I thought you did but I could not remember.

Also, are you using your test dynasty results or are you going to start up at a later date once you have your sliders down???

Smooth I don't recall, did you move NAVY to the AAC? I thought you did but I could not remember.

Also, are you using your test dynasty results or are you going to start up at a later date once you have your sliders down???
    Yeah, I moved Navy into the Big East/AAC back when they were supposed to in the 2015 season, so my second year at Tulsa.

As for my test dynasty, no,I'll be starting up fresh soon.

I played the first couple games working on sliders, then I simmed the rest of the season, putting full focus on only recruiting so I can get a full exposure to the recruiting for this year and see what I have ahead of me.

I'm actually in the process of creating a new dynasty right now that will serve as my actual dynasty for this thread, so I can get the schedule and all the preseason stuff posted. But I probably won't start actual games for a few days, probably not until at least the weekend, if not later.

2020 Utah State Football Schedule

Week Home/Away Team Result Score Record Game Notes
    1 Away Loss 27-42 0-1 (0-0) Season Opener
    Battle of the Brothers
    Beehive Boot
    2 Away Win 35-21 1-1 (1-0) Conference Opener
    3 Home Win 31-28 2-1 (1-0) Home Opener
    4 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    5 Away Win 16-10 3-1 (2-0)
    6 Away Loss 23-24 3-2 (2-0)
    7 Home #7 Loss 28-49 3-3 (2-1) Homecoming
    8 Away Win 42-0 4-3 (3-1)
    9 Home Win 35-17 5-3 (3-1) The Old Wagon Wheel
    Beehive Boot
    10 Home Win 31-23 6-3 (4-1)
    11 Away Win 49-24 7-3 (5-1)
    12 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    13 Home Win 31-21 8-3 (6-1)
    14 Home Loss 48-47 OT 8-4 (6-2) Senior Night
    Bridger's Battle
    15 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    CCG Bye Week --- --- --- Mountain West Championship Game
    Bowl Game Win 27-26 9-4 (6-2) Hawaii Bowl

--- The scores are hyperlinks to the posted game report of that game. Just click on the score/link to be taken to that game's posted report.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 12-01-2013 at 06:53 PM.

The following players have been redshirted for the 2020 season.

2020 Redshirt Players

Player Position Depth Chart Rank Year Overall
    Ross Brown QB 3rd Junior 70
    Dante May HB 3rd Senior 69
    Travis Munoz WR 2nd Senior 73
    Brian Johnson LG 1st Senior 70
    Kevin Tolbert RE 1st Senior 84
    Kevin Moore CB 1st Senior 84
    William Hudson CB 3rd Junior 58
    Sam Richwalski SS 2nd Junior 71

2020 Preseason Top 25

Rank Team 2019 Record Overall Offense Defense Special Teams
    1 9-4 A+ (99) A+ (99) A+ (99) A
    2 11-3 A (95) A+ (97) A- (92) B-
    3 6-7 B+ (91) B+ (91) A- (93) B+
    4 5-7 B+ (91) A (95) B+ (88) B-
    5 8-5 B+ (91) A (95) B+ (88) B+
    6 9-5 A (95) A+ (99) A- (92) B
    7 12-1 A- (93) A- (93) A- (93) A-
    8 7-6 B+ (88) B (86) B+ (90) B-
    9 6-7 A- (93) A (95) B+ (90) B
    10 5-7 B+ (90) B+ (90) A- (92) A-
    11 7-6 B+ (90) A- (93) B+ (88) C+
    12 9-4 A- (93) A- (93) A- (92) C+
    13 9-4 B+ (91) A+ (97) B+ (88) B
    14 6-6 B+ (91) A- (93) A- (92) B-
    15 10-3 A- (93) A (95) A- (93) B+
    16 8-5 B+ (91) A- (93) A- (92) B-
    17 9-4 B (84) B (86) B (85) B
    18 9-4 B (86) B+ (90) B- (82) B
    19 8-5 B+ (91) B+ (91) A- (92) A
    20 3-9 B (86) B (86) B (87) B-
    21 2-10 B (86) B+ (91) B- (83) B+
    22 13-1 B+ (88) B+ (91) B (85) B
    23 6-6 B (84) B (86) B- (83) C+
    24 8-5 C+ (79) B- (83) C+ (78) C+
    25 2-10 B- (83) B (84) B- (82) D

Mountain West Teams and 2020 Opponents

18 9-4 B (86) B+ (90) B- (82) B
    40 11-2 B (86) B (84) B (87) C+
    42 7-6 B- (83) B (84) B- (83) C+
    54 0-12 C (72) C (75) D+ (68) D+
    56 10-3 B- (81) B (84) C+ (78) C+
    64 10-3 B (84) B (84) B- (83) C+
    65 8-5 C- (70) D+ (68) C- (71) C-
    76 8-5 C (75) C+ (77) C (73) C+
    79 5-7 C+ (77) B- (81) C+ (76) C
    83 7-6 C (72) C (74) C (73) C
    89 11-2 C+ (79) B (84) C (75) C+
    91 6-6 C+ (77) C+ (77) C+ (76) C
    96 11-2 C (75) C+ (77) C (75) C
    103 5-7 C (72) C (75) C- (70) D+
    115 5-7 D (65) D+ (67) D+ (66) B-
    125 11-2 C- (70) C (74) D+ (68) D

"For Our Readers" Teams

2 11-3 A (95) A+ (97) A- (92) B-
    8 7-6 B+ (88) B (86) B+ (90) B-
    26 4-8 B (84) B (86) B- (83) C+
    38 7-6 B (84) B- (83) B (87) D+
    43 11-2 B+ (88) B+ (88) B+ (90) A+
    57 8-5 C+ (77) C+ (79) C+ (76) C+
    111 11-3 C (74) C (72) C (75) D+

2020 Utah State Two Deep Roster

Offense

Spoiler: show

Position Rank Name Year Overall
    QB 1 Adam Powers Junior 83
    QB 2 Jason Barnes Freshman (RS) 73
    HB 1 Preston Roberson Junior (RS) 79
    HB 2 Brian Paris Sophomore 75
    FB 1 Brian James Senior 58
    FB 2 --- --- ---
    WR 1 Eric McGuire Junior 79
    WR 2 Dre Martin Junior 75
    WR 3 David Douglas Sophomore 73
    WR 4 Ryan Conley Junior (RS) 71
    WR 5 Michael Smith Senior (RS) 71
    TE 1 Tim Fields Senior (RS) 76
    TE 2 Maurice Martin Junior (RS) 64
    LT 1 Paul Huffman Senior (RS) 76
    LT 2 Derek Lee Freshman (RS) 70
    LG 1 Tim Peterson Junior 66
    LG 2 --- --- ---
    C 1 Brad Edwards Senior (RS) 87
    C 2 Adam Jefferson Junior (RS) 68
    RG 1 Jason Oliver Junior (RS) 70
    RG 2 Chaz Sanders Senior (RS) 62
    RT 1 Johnny Henderson Senior (RS) 77
    RT 2 Jake Lee Sophomore (RS) 69

Defense

LE 1 Caleb McBride Sophomore (RS) 69
    LE 2 Erik Clark Senior 62
    RE 1 Pat Ashley Senior (RS) 70
    RE 2 Leroy Fuqua Freshman (RS) 63
    DT 1 Marcus Garrett Senior (RS) 78
    DT 2 Adam Grant Junior (RS) 75
    DT 3 Ernest Sims Sophomore (RS) 73
    DT 4 Scott Flanagan Freshman 62
    LOLB 1 Al Washington Junior (RS) 76
    LOLB 2 Perry Johnson Junior 73
    MLB 1 Lee Bradley Senior (RS) 76
    MLB 2 Thomas Harris Senior (RS) 75
    ROLB 1 Casey Hunter Sophomore (RS) 74
    ROLB 2 Arthur Lee Junior (RS) 71
    CB 1 Buck Castillo Junior 66
    CB 2 Jeremy Thurman Junior (RS) 65
    CB 3 Mike Moses Freshman (RS) 65
    CB 4 Lawrence Coker Sophomore 58
    FS 1 Carlton Herring Senior (RS) 75
    FS 2 Dustin Parker Freshman 62
    SS 1 Sam Vinson Junior (RS) 73
    SS 2 Charles Noble Sophomore (RS) 68
    K 1 Richard Burnette Senior (RS) 81
    K 2 Ed Allen Sophomore 69
    P 1 Ed Allen Sophomore 69
    P 2 Richard Burnette Senior (RS) 81
    KR 1 Eric McGuire Junior 94
    KR 2 Preston Roberson Junior (RS) 93
    PR 1 Eric McGuire Junior 94

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 07-09-2013 at 09:43 PM.

And, that should take care of all the preseason stuff.

While I fired up the dynasty and saw Utah State's schedule, Utah and BYU were already on because of rivalries, and I'll be treating them, for the time being, like permanently scheduled games, showing up on the schedule every year. The other two non-conference games were Old Dominion and FCS West.

I decided to keep Old Dominion. They're a softie, but also rated semi-decent so that they'll give me a good game, but I'll still have a chance at a win. So they'll be on the schedule the next two years.

Then to replace FCS West, since Florida International ended up on my schedule my first week at Tulsa (granted, not by decision as C-USA conference scheduling forced them upon me), I'll go ahead and keep up the whole "previous team on the schedule first year" thing and replaced FCS West with Tulsa for the next two seasons.

Looking at the overall schedule, including Tulsa, this is my biggest schedule overhaul to date. 7 new teams show up as opponents this year. Air Force, BYU, Hawaii, Old Dominion, San Jose State, Tulsa and Wyoming.

Looking at the 5 teams I've played before, I've only played Colorado State once (back in 2014) and UNLV once (in 2017), winning both games by 7 points and 3 points. Played Boise State twice (1-1), New Mexico twice (2-0) and Utah twice (1-1).

So 7 new teams, 2 teams I've got very limited experience with, and 3 teams I've got some experience with. This is gonna be a hell of a test this year. And it'll really be a test based on ratings, as the only teams that can really truly be considered worse than me are Air Force, New Mexico and Old Dominion. Every other team on my schedule is at the very least even with me, or else better than me.

2020 Utah State Two Deep Roster

Offense

QB 1 Adam Powers Junior 83
    QB 2 Jason Barnes Freshman (RS) 73
    HB 1 Preston Roberson Junior (RS) 79
    HB 2 Brian Paris Sophomore 75
    FB 1 Brian James Senior 58
    FB 2 --- --- ---
    WR 1 Eric McGuire Junior 79
    WR 2 Dre Martin Junior 75
    WR 3 David Douglas Sophomore 73
    WR 4 Ryan Conley Junior (RS) 71
    WR 5 Michael Smith Senior (RS) 71
    TE 1 Tim Fields Senior (RS) 76
    TE 2 Maurice Martin Junior (RS) 64
    LT 1 Paul Huffman Senior (RS) 76
    LT 2 Derek Lee Freshman (RS) 70
    LG 1 Tim Peterson Junior 66
    LG 2 --- --- ---
    C 1 Brad Edwards Senior (RS) 87
    C 2 Adam Jefferson Junior (RS) 68
    RG 1 Jason Oliver Junior (RS) 70
    RG 2 Chaz Sanders Senior (RS) 62
    RT 1 Johnny Henderson Senior (RS) 77
    RT 2 Jake Lee Sophomore (RS) 69

Defense

LE 1 Caleb McBride Sophomore (RS) 69
    LE 2 Erik Clark Senior 62
    RE 1 Pat Ashley Senior (RS) 70
    RE 2 Leroy Fuqua Freshman (RS) 63
    DT 1 Marcus Garrett Senior (RS) 78
    DT 2 Adam Grant Junior (RS) 75
    DT 3 Ernest Sims Sophomore (RS) 73
    DT 4 Scott Flanagan Freshman 62
    LOLB 1 Al Washington Junior (RS) 76
    LOLB 2 Perry Johnson Junior 73
    MLB 1 Lee Bradley Senior (RS) 76
    MLB 2 Thomas Harris Senior (RS) 75
    ROLB 1 Casey Hunter Sophomore (RS) 74
    ROLB 2 Arthur Lee Junior (RS) 71
    CB 1 Buck Castillo Junior 66
    CB 2 Jeremy Thurman Junior (RS) 65
    CB 3 Mike Moses Freshman (RS) 65
    CB 4 Lawrence Coker Sophomore 58
    FS 1 Carlton Herring Senior (RS) 75
    FS 2 Dustin Parker Freshman 62
    SS 1 Sam Vinson Junior (RS) 73
    SS 2 Charles Noble Sophomore (RS) 68
    K 1 Richard Burnette Senior (RS) 81
    K 2 Ed Allen Sophomore 69
    P 1 Ed Allen Sophomore 69
    P 2 Richard Burnette Senior (RS) 81
    KR 1 Eric McGuire Junior 94
    PR 1 Eric McGuire Junior 94

Wow! Your defensive ends are pretty low rated and your cb's look absolutely brutal. If I were you I would be looking for a stud DE and a stud CB during recruiting. If you cannot get pressure combined with the poor zone d this year, it could be a long season. Are you running a 4-3???

Wow! Your defensive ends are pretty low rated and your cb's look absolutely brutal. If I were you I would be looking for a stud DE and a stud CB during recruiting. If you cannot get pressure combined with the poor zone d this year, it could be a long season. Are you running a 4-3???
    Pretty low rated? That's being generous.

Half of my entire defensive players on the roster are mid 60s and lower. Recruiting better be kind to me or I'm screwed.

As for defense, yes, 4-3. My OC is running the Utah State/Spread playbook and my defensive coordinator is running 4-3, so those are what I'm gonna use this season.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Dude, this season is gonna be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Dude, this season is gonna be brutal.
    Yep.

I pretty much expected it to be when I signed with Utah State. Coming off an 0-12 season my last year at Tulsa, and even with the ratings in '14, still not that great, and absolutely atrocious on defense, it is gonna be a hell of a challenge. It's also going to be a bigger challenge in recruiting. While I have California to tap into for recruits, I've left behind the hotbeds of Florida, Texas and Oklahoma, so I'm have my work cut out for me.

My advice... run lots of slants, read options and hb draws so that your offense is on the field the majority of the time. You will need a ball control offense in order to help out your D as I don't picture them making too many stands this year. Good luck!