Page 28 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth Pancakes' Coaching Carousel Career

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Damn you, I've been waiting all day to post that here.

Smooth, you are now my enemy.

Bill, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
    *shakes Jeff's hand*
    *glares at Pancakes*

Damn you, I've been waiting all day to post that here.

Smooth, you are now my enemy.

Bill, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

You almost got what you wanted. I was originally gonna wait to post anything about the Ohio State/Toledo additions, as well as the future non-conference schedules, until sometime Sunday. But, I ended up deciding to go ahead and post that stuff yesterday so I could hopefully get around to finishing out the schedule for 2014, getting depth charts and stuff posted and getting ready to start the season.

Alright, here are the conference alignments as I have them right now.

Took a while, between running down the list of teams moving, checking divisional alignments, checking for protected rivalries, etc. But for the most part they should be correct. I did make a couple changes. Instead of leaving Texas State and UTSA in the WAC (thus screwing the C-USA and Sun Belt in the process), I went ahead and put Texas State in the Sun Belt (to get them to 8 teams) and UTSA in C-USA to have even divisions.

Due to the whole 4 teams minimum in a conference crap with the WAC, I went ahead and grabbed New Mexico and Wyoming from the Mountain West, as they make the natural rivalries for Idaho and New Mexico State.

When Navy moves to the Big East in 2015, I may shift Air Force over as well (since most of the talk these days is Air Force being invited to be the 14th team when Navy joins up) and move BYU from Independent back to the Mountain West to fill Air Force's spot.

As for the Big East divisions, there was a story sent out in the sports and football emails by the Navy Sports Information Department last week. A part of the story specifically discussed Big East alignment.

As opposed to an East-West Divisional format, momentum in the Big East is for a "zipper concept" splitting natural rivals like Boise State and San Diego State and Houston and SMU, who would then play each year in a potential 6-1-1 format, sources said.

The eight-game conference format would include six divisional games, one crossover game and one rotating crossover opponent.

Officials from schools soon to join the conference like Boise State, San Diego State and Houston are in attendance in Newport.

Most notably, the Big East will have a championship game next season, he said. The game will be played at the site of the higher seeded team.

“We will have a championship game next year,” Carparelli said. “It will be at the campus site or home venue of the highest ranked or best division leader.”
    So I tried to follow that zipper format with "natural rivals" as best as I could, as well as rivals from current existing Big East teams. I have no clue what I'm going to name the Big East divisions though. Sort of at a loss with that as they don't follow a geographical or directional layout. If anyone has any ideas for names, feel free to share.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post

You almost got what you wanted.
    Hmm ... enemies again. It's like old times!
    If anyone has any ideas for names, feel free to share.
    Leaders and Legends? Who Gives and A Fuck? East and Least? Black and Blue? Up and Down?
    Last edited by JeffHCross; 08-19-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Hmm ... enemies again. It's like old times!
    Leaders and Legends? Who Gives and A Fuck? East and Least? Black and Blue? Up and Down?

Hmm, well I think Leaders and Legends is out due to the Big Ten already using it. Who Gives and A Fuck probably wouldn't work since I doubt EA would let me name a division 'A Fuck'. East and Least, for a 12 (soon to be 14) team conference, doesn't work too well. Black and Blue, maybe, it would fit with a suggestion read online of going with a Civil War type theme of Blue and Grey. Up and Down, wouldn't work due to layout of teams.

There were a couple I came across through searching for division names. Liberty/Centennial, Liberty/Colonial and Colonial/Frontier. Unfortunately, there's not much from the press or random college football fans regarding decent division names for the Big East that don't end up North/South, East/West, etc.

Hmm, well I think Leaders and Legends is out due to the Big Ten already using it. Who Gives and A Fuck probably wouldn't work since I doubt EA would let me name a division 'A Fuck'. East and Least, for a 12 (soon to be 14) team conference, doesn't work too well. Black and Blue, maybe, it would fit with a suggestion read online of going with a Civil War type theme of Blue and Grey. Up and Down, wouldn't work due to layout of teams.

There were a couple I came across through searching for division names. Liberty/Centennial, Liberty/Colonial and Colonial/Frontier. Unfortunately, there's not much from the press or random college football fans regarding decent division names for the Big East that don't end up North/South, East/West, etc.
    I don't think the naming still applies but when C-USA was a bigger basketball conference, the divisions were called American and National.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I don't think the naming still applies but when C-USA was a bigger basketball conference, the divisions were called American and National.
    That's also a good suggestion and would work well. I may roll with that for now unless something else comes along that just shouts out "YES!" when you see it.

I'm gonna try to get this thing created later today. I'm still trying to round out my schedule. Already have Colorado State and Oklahoma on the schedule for the 2014 season. Last word was that Tulsa and Utah are close to agreeing to a home and home for 2014 and 2015, so I'll add Utah as well for the next two years. Now just gotta figure out who I want to set up a home and home with for that fourth game this season and next season.

Since I'm going to already be playing Oklahoma and Utah both this year and next year, and Colorado State isn't a pushover either, I'm thinking maybe a mid to upper tier MAC team. Either that, or pick up a second Mountain West team to play alongside Colorado State. I would consider the Sun Belt, but seeing as I just left the Sun Belt, after playing 24 games over 3 years against Sun Belt teams, I wouldn't mind a bit of a break from the conference and some fresh faces instead of going right back to them with non-conference games.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    You should play Akron. Easy game and gets you some exposure in the Ohio valley area.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    You should play Akron. Easy game and gets you some exposure in the Ohio valley area.
    That's a good point. If I wanted to go a bit tougher of an opponent, I could even go Ohio or Miami University. I'll have to see who all is available. I have to make sure I can get Oklahoma, Colorado State and Utah all scheduled in-game and then see who else is available.

I love that you answered those seriously. By the end of it I was just thinking "Black is white, up is down, etc, etc". Lol.

I love that you answered those seriously. By the end of it I was just thinking "Black is white, up is down, etc, etc". Lol.
    Well, it was 6 in the morning after all.

Tulsa adds home-and-home series with Utah, Akron for 2014 and '15

TULSA — The Golden Hurricane rounded out their non-conference schedules for the 2014 and 2015 seasons, with the announcement of home-and-home series with Utah and Akron

Tulsa will be visiting Salt Lake City to play the Utes in 2014, with the Utes scheduled to make the return trip to Tulsa during the 2015 season.

The addition of Utah adds to an already highly competitive list of non-conference opponents in the coming seasons. Over the next four seasons, the Golden Hurricane will also face off with Oklahoma twice, Oklahoma State, Colorado State, Fresno State and Ohio State.

In addition to Utah, Director of Athletics Ross Parmley announced that a home-and-home series with Akron out of the Mid-American Conference. The Golden Hurricane will travel to Akron in 2014, while the Zips will head west to Tulsa in 2015. The addition of the Zips expands on the growing list of Ohio teams making an appearance on Tulsa schedules. After previously playing Bowling Green in 2013, the Golden Hurricane have future dates with Ohio State in 2016 and Toledo in 2016 and 2017, making it five consecutive years that Tulsa will face an opponent from Ohio.

With the addition of Utah and Akron, the Golden Hurricane have filled out their 2014 and 2015 non-conference schedules. Listed below are the upcoming and future non-conference schedules for Tulsa:

Colorado State
    Oklahoma
    at Utah
    at Akron

at Oklahoma
    at New Mexico
    Utah
    Akron

at Fresno State
    at Ohio State
    Toledo

New Mexico
    at Oklahoma State
    at Toledo
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 08-26-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Alright souljahbill, I'm offering you a chance to make a decision regarding my dynasty. When I try to make any changes to C-USA to reflect the 2014 season with conference moves, it disables the 8 game conference schedule without protected rivals that C-USA has by default. I instead end up with 9 conference games.

Thanks to a link back to the blog that EA released last year regarding custom conferences and schedules, if I want to make any changes to C-USA teams to reflect the 2014 season, I have no choice but to enable protected rivalries if I want to still have 8 conference games and 4 non-con games.

So since I'm forced to go with protected rivalries, you get a choice. For the protected rivalry for Southern Miss, which would you prefer to have? Tulane, to have the Battle for the Bell rivalry (last played in 2010) get played every season, or Tulsa, so we can have a guaranteed head to head between me and Southern Miss every season for bragging rights and a C-USA championship (or at least preview of the C-USA championship)?

I was going to match Louisiana Tech and Tulane up for the interstate rivalry and Southern Miss and Tulsa for a yearly showdown in this dynasty, but with Southern Miss and Tulane having an official rivalry, I figured I'd see which one you might prefer to have.

Alright souljahbill, I'm offering you a chance to make a decision regarding my dynasty. When I try to make any changes to C-USA to reflect the 2014 season with conference moves, it disables the 8 game conference schedule without protected rivals that C-USA has by default. I instead end up with 9 conference games.

Thanks to a link back to the blog that EA released last year regarding custom conferences and schedules, if I want to make any changes to C-USA teams to reflect the 2014 season, I have no choice but to enable protected rivalries if I want to still have 8 conference games and 4 non-con games.

So since I'm forced to go with protected rivalries, you get a choice. For the protected rivalry for Southern Miss, which would you prefer to have? Tulane, to have the Battle for the Bell rivalry (last played in 2010) get played every season, or Tulsa, so we can have a guaranteed head to head between me and Southern Miss every season for bragging rights and a C-USA championship (or at least preview of the C-USA championship)?

I was going to match Louisiana Tech and Tulane up for the interstate rivalry and Southern Miss and Tulsa for a yearly showdown in this dynasty, but with Southern Miss and Tulane having an official rivalry, I figured I'd see which one you might prefer to have.
    Considering that our rivalry with Tulane will last well beyond your stint at Tulsa, I'd go with Tulane. Hattiesburg is about an hour and a half from New Orleans and fans/students/alumni would much rather take a road trip to New Orleans then Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Also, Tulane and LA Tech are on opposite sides of the state. They're so far away that even if they played every year, I doubt a rivalry would ever really exist between the schools. The only real intrastate college football rivalries here in LA are the Southern/Grambling, UL-Lafayette/UL-Monroe, and Southeastern/Nicholls St. LSU/Tulane was one way back in the day when Tulane was actually a part of the SEC but that rivalry doesn't really exist anymore. UL-Lafayette has "little brother" syndrome with LSU. True Cajun fans typically hate LSU (because LSU gets whatever they want and UL-Lafayette is the 2nd biggest school in the state) but LSU fans could care less about Cajun fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering that our rivalry with Tulane will last well beyond your stint at Tulsa, I'd go with Tulane. Hattiesburg is about an hour and a half from New Orleans and fans/students/alumni would much rather take a road trip to New Orleans then Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Also, Tulane and LA Tech are on opposite sides of the state. They're so far away that even if they played every year, I doubt a rivalry would ever really exist between the schools. The only real intrastate college football rivalries here in LA are the Southern/Grambling, UL-Lafayette/UL-Monroe, and Southeastern/Nicholls St. LSU/Tulane was one way back in the day when Tulane was actually a part of the SEC but that rivalry doesn't really exist anymore. UL-Lafayette has "little brother" syndrome with LSU. True Cajun fans typically hate LSU (because LSU gets whatever they want and UL-Lafayette is the 2nd biggest school in the state) but LSU fans could care less about Cajun fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alright, that works for me. I figured I'd check with you and see which you preferred. I already have FIU and North Texas set as rivals since they both come from the Sun Belt, give them a familiar opponent each year. I'll have to figure out what to do with the rest, since it's half east coast schools left, while 3/4ths Texas schools in the west division. Someone's gonna be making some long trips for their protected rivals, ala South Carolina/Texas A&M.

And nice, I didn't know all of that. I wish there was someone who would compile all sorts of stuff like that, conference to conference, state to state, region to region, see the relationships of the various schools, any rivalries, cases of "little brother" syndrome, etc. Give you a more complete view on the state of teams, conferences and areas of the country when it comes to college football.

And the ink is on the paper.

I signed a two year contract with Tulsa to be their offensive coordinator in the second stop on my coaching career. Here is a look at what is expected of me...

Tulsa Two Year OC Contract Goals - Year One

Fail Impact Goal Progress Pass Impact
    Win 8 games in one season
    13+ passing TD in one season
    14+ points per game in each season 1/2 Passed
    7+ rushing TD in one season
    2400+ total offensive yards in one season
    2400+ total offensive yards in each season 1/2 Passed
    Win 4 games in one season
    2000+ total offensive yards in one season

Job Security Status

100%

--- Contract goal numbers and job security updated through Season 4, Off-season.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 12-20-2012 at 03:54 AM.

2014 Tulsa Football Schedule

Week Home/Away Team Result Score Record Game Notes
    1 Away Win 38-10 1-0 Season Opener
    2 Home (5) Win 65-56 OT 2-0 Home Opener
    3 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    4 Away Win 27-14 3-0 (1-0) Conference Opener
    5 Away Loss 52-61 3-1 (1-0)
    6 Home Win 42-25 4-1 (2-0) Homecoming
    7 Home Win 34-20 5-1 (3-0)
    8 Home Win 42-13 6-1 (4-0)
    9 Home Win 42-14 7-1 (5-0)
    10 Away Win 24-17 8-1 (6-0)
    11 Home Win 31-24 9-1 (6-0) Senior Night
    12 Away Win 58-28 10-1 (7-0)
    13 Away Win 62-16 11-1 (8-0)
    14 --- Bye Week --- --- ---
    CCG Win 30-17 12-1 (9-0) C-USA Championship Game
    Bowl Game Win 20-17 13-1 (9-0) AutoZone Liberty Bowl

--- The scores are hyperlinks to the posted game report of that game. Just click on the score/link to be taken to that game's posted report.
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 01-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Ever putting on the schedule?
    Looks like we won't have to wait long for a showdown against the former team. I've got a C-USA showdown with Florida International in Miami come week 4. Better start mass producing that popcorn.

Smooth, check out my reply in that thread before you actually start playing. I'll be curious if it fixes your issue.

2014 Preseason Top 25

Rank Team 2013 Record Overall Offense Defense Special Teams
    1 12-1 A+ (97) A- (92) A (95) B
    2 10-2 A+ (99) A+ (99) B+ (91) A
    3 13-1 A+ (99) A- (92) A+ (97) A+
    4 12-2 A+ (99) A (94) A (95) A
    5 10-3 A+ (97) A (95) A- (93) A
    6 10-4 A+ (97) A (95) B+ (91) C+
    7 11-2 A (95) A (95) B (87) B
    8 9-4 A+ (97) A- (92) A (95) B
    9 11-2 A+ (97) A (94) B+ (91) B