Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Football 11 Blog: Play Calling

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    You can all thank Rudy when this comes out as DLC.
    Only $4.99 for a 6 screen play editor! Too hefty for OSU fans but UM fans won't have a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    But I haven't seen % by them... is that removed and we just know that one leads to another. I'm not at all clear on how they are used in 11...
    I was confused about this as well. I figured they were probably "linked" but how do we know that we have sucessfully set a play up?

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I was confused about this as well. I figured they were probably "linked" but how do we know that we have sucessfully set a play up?
    It will say SET UP! like last year, but it looks like the % is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Also, isn't the link red when it isn't set up and green when it is? Or is it link or no link? I can't remember.

After reading the playcalling blog & getting a couple more games in yesterday, the playcall screen is becoming a little easier to use. I don't really like that I have to be in the "play" view to access my gameplan & supersim but I'm sure i'll get used to it with time. I do like the special teams & goalline quick keys though. I'm going to try to get used to using the "Bluff" mode so I can scroll faster through the plays.

One of our biggest feedbacks in the playcall screen for the advanced was getting rid of defaulting to Ask Coach on 4th Down and giving us a button to access special teams, which will highlight yellow on 4th.

Yeah those are both good additions, though I have to get used to paying more attention to down. I was used to the playcalling screen defaulting on 4th down & reminding me!

I like the ST quick button. However, I would prefer that once you hit it that it defaults to the most likely ST play.

A small detail, but I also like that changed to 'PAT attempt' for a......wait for it.....'PAT attempt' instead of calling it FG in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    I like the ST quick button. However, I would prefer that once you hit it that it defaults to the most likely ST play.

A small detail, but I also like that changed to 'PAT attempt' for a......wait for it.....'PAT attempt' instead of calling it FG in the past.
    We suggested that it defaulted to the most likely special teams play, but it appears that they were unable to get that programmed in on time, at least for the demo.

When there are, say 28, plays in a formation it gets cumbersome if you need to flip to play 17. I know Madden has made some efforts to get the casual player to call a larger variety of plays. This system seems counter-intuitive to that thought process. I can see many players (not us) rarely making it past play #9 with this setup.

Overall, it's not a big deal and we'll all get used to it in due time. I do hope the lag and "most likely special teams play" things are fixed in retai.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Also, isn't the link red when it isn't set up and green when it is? Or is it link or no link? I can't remember.
    I've seen a green link in the demo but I haven't seen "Set UP" on the play.

haha me too, I almost kicked a 96 yards FG because FG attempt was highlighted automatically. If it hadn't been for the slight lag I would have selected that.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    When there are, say 28, plays in a formation it gets cumbersome if you need to flip to play 17. I know Madden has made some efforts to get the casual player to call a larger variety of plays. This system seems counter-intuitive to that thought process. I can see many players (not us) rarely making it past play #9 with this setup.

Overall, it's not a big deal and we'll all get used to it in due time. I do hope the lag and "most likely special teams play" things are fixed in retai.
    I agree. I would have rather seen the original style with 3 plays available at a time.

If you hold the LT/L2 button down it's called "bluff" mode & it gives you the option to scroll 3 at a time & select using 3 different buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    If you hold the LT/L2 button down it's called "bluff" mode & it gives you the option to scroll 3 at a time & select using 3 different buttons.
    I hope they can make that a default action in the game, or at least when you're playing multiplayer.

I've seen a green link in the demo but I haven't seen "Set UP" on the play.
    I swear I've seen it, as it caught me off-guard as I was scrolling through plays.

I swear I've seen it, as it caught me off-guard as I was scrolling through plays.
    I have seen it once.

It's entirely possible I just haven't used a single play enough to "Set Up" its counter. With 2 minute quarters it is pretty hard to set something up in the playbook without actually making a concerted effort to do so. I may try that tonight.

It's entirely possible I just haven't used a single play enough to "Set Up" its counter. With 2 minute quarters it is pretty hard to set something up in the playbook without actually making a concerted effort to do so. I may try that tonight.
    An easy way to do it is to get a big gain on a Jet Sweep and look at the PA Jet Sweep play.

It is quite entertaining that those plays are fairly worth a damn now. The middle screens and bubbles are pretty to watch.