8 14.04%
  • Love it, but want more next year

42 73.68%
  • Don't like it

1 1.75%
  • Haven't tried it

6 10.53%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel: Love It or Hate It?

• Facebook
  • Display
    Another issue has arisen... HOW DO YOU CHALLENGE PLAYS if you fumble the ball? I go to the chaallenge screen and the game will NOT let me challenge. I wait for the HC to challenge and he doesn't. I was dismantled by WVU 43-20 and two of their scores came from calls that were NOT challenged but would have been overturned if they were. What's the secret to challening??? Help

I am enjoying the mode and i like the lack of control. It brings you back to those times when your coach did things you didnt want to do. Like punting on 4th and 2 inches ect.. If i wanted more control i would be the head coach. I do agree that if there are no ST coaches they could have wrapped those duties in the two coordinators.

4th downs- I think that on 4th down in future versions of this, it would be cool to see a pop up with 3 pitches from the OC that is a strong go for it, a mild go for it and a dont go for it pitch. The relation ship between your oc rating and the HC rating determines if it works. if your offense has a great percentage of conversions, the trust to go for it on 4th down increases.

As a note while i was playing as Troy's OC vs my rival So miss. I lost the game when i was tackled inside the one yd line with nine seconds left in a tie game. i was tryin to let the clock run down when i lost control the screen flashed and the next thing i know its in overtime. I thought the Kicker must have missed the kick but after the game the kicker never attempted it. It was 4th down so a bad snap would have done the same thing but i dont know if its a glitch. we had two TO left.

recruiting- Im fine with how it is
    but my two improves would be Senior coordinator take pipeline and the jr guy recruits all the other states. Cpu / head coach fills the initial Big board based on needs. The big board lists who is the recruiter for that recruit.

But once we are in the regular season, the coordinator can add or remove any guy on his board as long as the goal of the target players are signed. However you can only over sign one more than your open scholarships. Recruiting hours and signing requirements would be dynamic. Each week the CPU would assign you guys you must try to get and you can also go after anyone else you have room for as a team.

Whoever has the highest interested recruit we need in his region is responsible for that position. If the highest guy was outside the pipeline and he signed elsewhere.and the next highest target is in the pipe, then the recruiter for that spot changes. after needs its a best avail until we are done.

The big change would be holding scholarships for needs.
    Give each a percentage of the 10 hours based on the board. If we are recruiting 9 guys in the pipeline and 2 outside the pipeline. The pipe gets 8.5 and outside gets 1.5 hours for example. of course the cpu is which ever coordinator you are not. Not perfect, but that setup would be a nice challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    As to your last point I'm not sure how that's possible since nobody else who has posted can play special teams. How did you accomplish that exactly... Are you playing as DC? As to the rest of your argument, I appreciate your commentary though it's a little too oversimplified based on my primary thesis regarding connection to the mode itself as compared to previous iterations. Yes I get that being an OC I don't have the same connection to the D but that's not really my point. The mode itself still has further to go regarding the immersion experience. As to your point of waiting till the offseason, yes that is what I am most looking forward to (which I also stated in my original post). Wait until after one season to judge... no need. I am already on record in my OP as stating I enjoy the mode and it adds a ton of depth to the game. My thread is more about discussion rather than dealing with absolutes.
    First off, I am not trying to form an argument. You posted an interesting thread with an interesting topic and I am trying to be a part of that discussion. If my tone was argumentative in my last post I apologize as it was not my intent.

You have posted a lot of pros and cons to the on field experience that this mode has opened up, however, what I want to know is what you expected in the first place or what your (or the other community members) thoughts are on improving it to meet the desires you have expressed. My point is that the in game experience has met my expectations thus far and I am having an issue coming up with realistic expectations for improvement, particularly in what you are referring to as "immersion." I mentioned that maybe you would feel more connected to the on game experience as a whole if you were able to watch the defense. Other than that and having some input in major game decisions I am drawing a blank. I also mentioned that it seems as though (from my brief experience as an OC) I do have the ability to go for it in certain situations as the offense is still on the field on 4th down. I just take that as the vote of confidence to go for it.

I believe that the situation with special teams is as follows: there are instances where the offense is left on the field on 4th down as I mentioned in the previous paragraph. In these situations, I believe I have chosen to punt and kick FGs when perhaps the CPU had assumed I was just going to go for it. This could have been in a situation where the ball was inside the opponent's 40 yard line for example and I chose to punt. I also distinctly remember kicking FGs. This may have been the iffy territory around the 30-35 yard line. You are able to access special teams while you are the OC. If you go to where you normally find special teams in the playbook you will only see the option to punt I believe, however, you can also hit triangle on PS3 or Y on 360 and it should bring you to the full special teams playbook.

And my main point, which I wanted to clarify, is that when I think of carousel, I don't even think about these things we are talking about (the in game experience) as part of it. I can see that they are, now, which is the most interesting part of this discussion, however, we'll really see what happens in the offseason. It's quite possible the mode with suck or be awesome depending on how that all goes down and so of course we need to reserve judgment until then. I know you understand that, as well, and was not insinuating that you do not.

I have a question if anyone can answer it... I am doing an Off-line dynasty just waiting for roster's to drop, and I am the OC at Every time the defense is on the field I have to hit RB to see the play actually play out. Is there a way to set it so that you don't have to do this and can just watch the game until the offense gets the ball back?

One other note... We were playing and killing them, and late in the game I had a 4th and 5 and the coach allowed me to go for it. We picked it up too. We were winning 44-0 at the time. But it seems the better you do, the more the HC may "trust" you in certain situations. I hadn't heard anyone talk about that before. I was kind of shocked. I also love the fact that SS isn't sitting there "warning" me every time I do something. You just get a score at the end of the game. Thank you EA for taking those annoying warning signs out!

My -70 was well earned!

Quote Originally Posted by OptionMasta View Post
    First off, I am not trying to form an argument. You posted an interesting thread with an interesting topic and I am trying to be a part of that discussion. If my tone was argumentative in my last post I apologize as it was not my intent.

You have posted a lot of pros and cons to the on field experience that this mode has opened up, however, what I want to know is what you expected in the first place or what your (or the other community members) thoughts are on improving it to meet the desires you have expressed. My point is that the in game experience has met my expectations thus far and I am having an issue coming up with realistic expectations for improvement, particularly in what you are referring to as "immersion." I mentioned that maybe you would feel more connected to the on game experience as a whole if you were able to watch the defense. Other than that and having some input in major game decisions I am drawing a blank. I also mentioned that it seems as though (from my brief experience as an OC) I do have the ability to go for it in certain situations as the offense is still on the field on 4th down. I just take that as the vote of confidence to go for it.

I believe that the situation with special teams is as follows: there are instances where the offense is left on the field on 4th down as I mentioned in the previous paragraph. In these situations, I believe I have chosen to punt and kick FGs when perhaps the CPU had assumed I was just going to go for it. This could have been in a situation where the ball was inside the opponent's 40 yard line for example and I chose to punt. I also distinctly remember kicking FGs. This may have been the iffy territory around the 30-35 yard line. You are able to access special teams while you are the OC. If you go to where you normally find special teams in the playbook you will only see the option to punt I believe, however, you can also hit triangle on PS3 or Y on 360 and it should bring you to the full special teams playbook.

And my main point, which I wanted to clarify, is that when I think of carousel, I don't even think about these things we are talking about (the in game experience) as part of it. I can see that they are, now, which is the most interesting part of this discussion, however, we'll really see what happens in the offseason. It's quite possible the mode with suck or be awesome depending on how that all goes down and so of course we need to reserve judgment until then. I know you understand that, as well, and was not insinuating that you do not.
    No worries brother. I missunderstood what you were trying to say. That's a unique way to look at it re: 4th down/special teams. I acutally did that last night. Rather than go for the two point I called in the special teams and kicked the single.

So I made it through my first offseason. I'm still not sure how I feel about this feature...

My experience was that I started with Arkansas State () as the OC. I played through the first season and the team won 10 games and won the GoDaddy.com bowl vs. Temple. I surpassed almost all expectations as the OC. I had like 6x the amount of rushing yards required and 3x the amount of passing yards I believe. I believe I had a top 5 offense in the country.

In the offseason, I was a little disappointed by the carousel. I was expecting a screen that would dynamically show me who took what job and then move onto the next one. I used to play CH2k8 and if anyone else on here has played that this was what I was expecting from the carousel. Instead, when I selected "coaching carousel" it took me right to my job offers. In future versions, I would like to see it more like CH2k8 where you hit a button to advance through the next job, etc. That kind of builds up anticipation as to when you get your job offer.

The second point I have in regards to the offseason is that I was offered the Pitt OC job. I thought this was a little early. I guess maybe because Pitt () is only a 3* prestige school I had a better chance at getting to my destination early than some of the other people who will have 6* prestige jobs as their alma mater. I just hope that this game is different than in years past that it actually takes you a while to get to where you want to be. My other offer was the HC job at San Jose State () which I didn't even want to throw my name into the hat for because their roster didn't fit my offense. I guess it would have been interesting to see if I would have gotten that job because I had other candidates with better credentials competing for it.

The third thing I want to note is that my coach prestige has not increased from D+ yet despite having a great offensive season. I don't know if maybe it increases when the new season begins or not.

So I made it through my first offseason. I'm still not sure how I feel about this feature...

My experience was that I started with Arkansas State () as the OC. I played through the first season and the team won 10 games and won the GoDaddy.com bowl vs. Temple. I surpassed almost all expectations as the OC. I had like 6x the amount of rushing yards required and 3x the amount of passing yards I believe. I believe I had a top 5 offense in the country.

In the offseason, I was a little disappointed by the carousel. I was expecting a screen that would dynamically show me who took what job and then move onto the next one. I used to play CH2k8 and if anyone else on here has played that this was what I was expecting from the carousel. Instead, when I selected "coaching carousel" it took me right to my job offers. In future versions, I would like to see it more like CH2k8 where you hit a button to advance through the next job, etc. That kind of builds up anticipation as to when you get your job offer.

The second point I have in regards to the offseason is that I was offered the Pitt OC job. I thought this was a little early. I guess maybe because Pitt () is only a 3* prestige school I had a better chance at getting to my destination early than some of the other people who will have 6* prestige jobs as their alma mater. I just hope that this game is different than in years past that it actually takes you a while to get to where you want to be. My other offer was the HC job at San Jose State () which I didn't even want to throw my name into the hat for because their roster didn't fit my offense. I guess it would have been interesting to see if I would have gotten that job because I had other candidates with better credentials competing for it.

The third thing I want to note is that my coach prestige has not increased from D+ yet despite having a great offensive season. I don't know if maybe it increases when the new season begins or not.
    I will be finished in the next few hours... after the kids have their nap. I don't understand why your prestige hasn't increased. You would think it would have increased significantly based on the stats you are reporting. What is your % apporval rating? I just looked at mine and I am at 66% and a C rating. However, I know I had a huge upset win versus Conneticut and gained a lot of boost. Did youi have any major upset wins? Also, did you co-coaches improve? My HC is at 70% approval and the DC is at 58% approval. We (Syracuse) have had a great season thus far (7-4) with one game to go.

You aren't required to skip to your job offers. If you just go into "Coaching Carousel" at the end of the year, you can press to go job-by-job until your offers come in; then you can even keep going job-by-job after your offers are done coming in.

I forget what button does it, but if you push the button to skip to your offers then you'll miss out on the other jobs, yes.

There should have been a tab within the Carousel where you see who is 'up next' making moves (Next Hire). On that menu, just sit back and hit / for each school and see the moves take place. Do not use the 'Skip to,' press / to go hire by hire.

Jaymo: I didn't really have any upset wins. Still, a 10 win season should up my prestige level. The % you are talking about, though, did increase for me. I started with like 40% job security and at the end of the season I was up to about 66%.

cdj and paakaa: Thanks for the responses. I guess I just missed this/missed the boat on it somehow. I'm glad it works that way. Now I need to play through another season to get back and watch it again!

Jaymo: I didn't really have any upset wins. Still, a 10 win season should up my prestige level. The % you are talking about, though, did increase for me. I started with like 40% job security and at the end of the season I was up to about 66%.

cdj and paakaa: Thanks for the responses. I guess I just missed this/missed the boat on it somehow. I'm glad it works that way. Now I need to play through another season to get back and watch it again!
    At least on the bright side if when you play as a coordinator games go so quickly. Seasons can be finished in 2-3 days. I have never finished a season this quickly.

I want to think, based on simulations for coach prestige numbers that JeffHCross did in the Q&A threads, that coach prestige ratings don't change until the start of the next season.

I'll have to check on that later. I didn't take notice to whether or by how much it changed.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I want to think, based on simulations for coach prestige numbers that JeffHCross did in the Q&A threads, that coach prestige ratings don't change until the start of the next season.
    Nope, I know for a fact they do. I moved to a C from a D+ AFTER my upset win over Conneticut. You % changes throughout the year as well. I ended with 68% approval. Starting season two I am 68% and C rated.

Okay so I finished my first season as OC at Syracuse.
    * went 8-4 in the regular season
    * upset Conneticut 36-30 in OT (int ret for a TD) #1 RANKED GAMESCORE
    * LOST to SMU 33-28 BEEF O'BRADY'S BOWL (man that sounds so stupid...lol)

Then I started the coaching carousel. Things went slow at first. NO MAJOR COACHES WERE FIRED OR RETIRED. The vast majority of coaches were rehired. When I looked at the hirings at least 85% of all contracts were renewed. (Marrone~ Syracuse HC rode my coat tails to a 4 year extension (with an 80% approval rating).

Some observations:

-Tulsa fired the HC/OC/DC
    -Conneticut fired the OC/DC and brought in PITT's OC & DC ???
    -toughest NON-BCS contract by far went to FAU... 8 WIN SEASONS OVER THE NEXT THREE YEARS etc.
    -all of the best jobs go early~ the longer you wait the worse they get
    -a lot of team OC's/DC's were hired to replace their own HC (eg, HAWAII, UCLA, SDSU, etc.)
    -ZERO ALMA MATER HIRES... interesting observation
    -most unique change... ARMY adopts a SPREAD OFFENSE
    -OKLAHOMA ST. won the NC... both coordinators were hired as HEAD COACHES.

For me personally I was IN THE RUNNING FOR 11 JOBS (10OC's and 1 HC)
    * I was offered EIGHT JOBS
    ** most tempting... HEAD COACH AT VANDY
    ** IDAHO, EAST MICHIGAN, ULL least tempting

*** I decided to STAY with Syracuse and continue to gain prestige so I can get a better offer

I was really interested in the TULSA HC job but I didnt get a sniff. They said they were going in another direction. One thing that sucks... you know if you got the job or not when you pre-emptively look at the contract when the team is on the clock. Overall, the mode was a blast. My wife told me a had the biggest grin when I would get offers and look chocked when I didn't. So looking forward to season two later tonight.

Awesome man. Glad to hear it worked out that way. Hopefully now that I am the OC at Pitt I will land better/more offers. One interesting thing of note is that when I signed my contract with Pitt I got a message that essentially said I would not get another contract until the duration of this one had run. That was interesting to me seeing as my first contract was a 2 year deal but I went to a different school after only 1 season.

Also I wonder if you didn't even get a sniff from Tulsa because your offensive philosophy is pro (this is an assumption because you were Syracuse).

Nope, I know for a fact they do. I moved to a C from a D+ AFTER my upset win over Conneticut. You % changes throughout the year as well. I ended with 68% approval. Starting season two I am 68% and C rated.
    Sweet, thanks for the correction. JHC must have just been only looking at the numbers at the end/beginning of each season and that was why I thought that. Good to know though. I actually prefer this way, since you can see instant feedback in your prestige and approval rating after big wins or bad losses. Makes it better that way.

Okay so I finished my first season as OC at Syracuse.
    * went 8-4 in the regular season
    * upset Conneticut 36-30 in OT (int ret for a TD) #1 RANKED GAMESCORE
    * LOST to SMU 33-28 BEEF O'BRADY'S BOWL (man that sounds so stupid...lol)

Then I started the coaching carousel. Things went slow at first. NO MAJOR COACHES WERE FIRED OR RETIRED. The vast majority of coaches were rehired. When I looked at the hirings at least 85% of all contracts were renewed. (Marrone~ Syracuse HC rode my coat tails to a 4 year extension (with an 80% approval rating).

Some observations:

-Tulsa fired the HC/OC/DC
    -Conneticut fired the OC/DC and brought in PITT's OC & DC ???
    -toughest NON-BCS contract by far went to FAU... 8 WIN SEASONS OVER THE NEXT THREE YEARS etc.
    -all of the best jobs go early~ the longer you wait the worse they get
    -a lot of team OC's/DC's were hired to replace their own HC (eg, HAWAII, UCLA, SDSU, etc.)
    -ZERO ALMA MATER HIRES... interesting observation
    -most unique change... ARMY adopts a SPREAD OFFENSE
    -OKLAHOMA ST. won the NC... both coordinators were hired as HEAD COACHES.

For me personally I was IN THE RUNNING FOR 11 JOBS (10OC's and 1 HC)
    * I was offered EIGHT JOBS
    ** most tempting... HEAD COACH AT VANDY
    ** IDAHO, EAST MICHIGAN, ULL least tempting

*** I decided to STAY with Syracuse and continue to gain prestige so I can get a better offer

I was really interested in the TULSA HC job but I didnt get a sniff. They said they were going in another direction. One thing that sucks... you know if you got the job or not when you pre-emptively look at the contract when the team is on the clock. Overall, the mode was a blast. My wife told me a had the biggest grin when I would get offers and look chocked when I didn't. So looking forward to season two later tonight.
    That's awesome to read man! I can't wait for FK to get the 360 rosters done either tonight or sometime tomorrow so I can start up my own dynasty and get to enjoy CC for myself. Great stuff man!

Now this is interesting: I am three games in to season two and I am checking out the contracts of other coaches. Currently the LOWEST % COACH is at a whopping 19% approval rating. He has outright failed 8 of 11 goals and this is only year two of four. Who is that coach you ask? MACK BROWN OF THE TEXAS LONGHORNS! Second lowest approval is at 20% held by Paul Wulff of of WSU.

On another note, (Maronne), Syracuse HC re-upped his contract and WOW a winning season sure adds a lot of pressure to perform. His goals are a lot harder. For example he is required too make a final top 25 appearance before the end of his contract.

I went with the majority here. Love it, but want more next year. I want a lot of intrigue added to the mode. It seems like that is lacking.

I started a dynasty with a created coach and took a 2 year contract as the OC for Ohio University (a 2* school in the MAC). I used default AA difficulty and AA recruiting difficulty. I played the first 2 games of the first season, let the CPU handle recruiting and then simulated the rest of the year. We went 9-4 with a loss in a bowl game and I ended up with 0 goals failed, 4 passed, and 5 in progress. I watched some of the coaching carousel and got no job offers, then simulated the rest of the offseason and the next season as well. In season 2 we went 10-3 with a loss in the MAC title game but a bowl game win. We signed more 3* recruits then the first year, and even signed one 4* guard. I passed 8 goals, 2 of which had 6 >, failed 1 which had 4 <, and was fired. My coach is still a D+ prestige and I accepted a job as OC at Louisiana Tech.
    I am surprised I got fired after 2 fairly successful seasons, and passing 8 out 9 goals, but am overall pretty happy with how the carousel worked. Has anyone else had any firings that they were surprised by? Do you have to pass all your goals to get a contract extension? What are the fewest amount of goals anyone has passed and still kept their job?