Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Carousel - NCAA Football 13 Wish List & Feedback

• Facebook
  • Display

Coaching Carousel - NCAA Football 13 Wish List & Feedback

Coaching Carousel

Use this thread for wish list & feedback items relating to Coaching Carousel changes or improvements you would like to see in NCAA Football 13.

Be clear, but concise in making your wishes. Any off-topic posts will be deleted.

Ability to import retired madden players in as coaches.

Ability to import your RTG player as a coach.

To be frank, coaching carousel will not be "done", or at least the coaches will not be as fleshed out as they need to be, until there is some differentiation between the virtual equivalents of Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Meyer and Will Muschamp. I don't mean to equate those coaches with the virtual coaches in the game, I'm just using them as examples. I acknowledge that there are items like playbook and team style that differentiate between coaches and teams. But, for all intents and purposes, if I take Coach A and swap him with Coach B, but change the playbooks and styles to match, they are the same coach. Even if Luke Fickell calls the exact same gameplan as Jim Tressel, and uses the exact same playbook, they are not the same coach. And coaches should be similar differentiated in the game.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    To be frank, coaching carousel will not be "done", or at least the coaches will not be as fleshed out as they need to be, until there is some differentiation between the virtual equivalents of Steve Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Meyer and Will Muschamp. I don't mean to equate those coaches with the virtual coaches in the game, I'm just using them as examples. I acknowledge that there are items like playbook and team style that differentiate between coaches and teams. But, for all intents and purposes, if I take Coach A and swap him with Coach B, but change the playbooks and styles to match, they are the same coach. Even if Luke Fickell calls the exact same gameplan as Jim Tressel, and uses the exact same playbook, they are not the same coach. And coaches should be similar differentiated in the game.
    I completely agree. Thus the need for more coach ratings that have a greater effect on the team they are coaching.

Each coach (be they HC, OC, or DC) could have all the ratings necessary to be any of the positions but the game only uses the ones that effect their specific position (HC would have ratings that affected recruiting, coach integrity, team chemistry, etc while the DC would have ratings that affected defensive progression in various ways). Thus, you could have a DC or OC that is great as a DC or OC but is terrible as a HC because of their attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    I completely agree. Thus the need for more coach ratings that have a greater effect on the team they are coaching.

Each coach (be they HC, OC, or DC) could have all the ratings necessary to be any of the positions but the game only uses the ones that effect their specific position (HC would have ratings that affected recruiting, coach integrity, team chemistry, etc while the DC would have ratings that affected defensive progression in various ways). Thus, you could have a DC or OC that is great as a DC or OC but is terrible as a HC because of their attributes.
    I completely, entirely agree with both you gentlemen. The things EA could do with that that would make Coaching Carousel so much better tenfold, I really hope we can get ideas like this along to them for 13 or other versions down the road for ways they can flesh out and improve CC. Coaching Carousel has so much potential. Tons of potential. It's just sitting there waiting for someone to tap into it and run with it. Same thing with Custom Conferences (more customization options, create new conferences, delete conferences). Same thing with BCS Bowl Tie-Ins (expanding it out to all bowls, create bowls, delete bowls, etc). All these new additions have SO MUCH potential that EA needs to take and expand upon it as much as physically possible.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Each coach (be they HC, OC, or DC) could have all the ratings necessary to be any of the positions
    I don't disagree with you, but I also think it's worth saying that there's such a thing as overcomplication. I don't think you did that in any way, but I also purposefully kept my post simple. I want a way to differentiate between them. What that is ... well, it could be about six dozen different permutations, and I'm not sure I care to say one is better than the other. I just want something to separate coaches
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    I completely, entirely agree with both you gentlemen. The things EA could do with that that would make Coaching Carousel so much better tenfold, I really hope we can get ideas like this along to them for 13 or other versions down the road for ways they can flesh out and improve CC. Coaching Carousel has so much potential. Tons of potential. It's just sitting there waiting for someone to tap into it and run with it. Same thing with Custom Conferences (more customization options, create new conferences, delete conferences). Same thing with BCS Bowl Tie-Ins (expanding it out to all bowls, create bowls, delete bowls, etc). All these new additions have SO MUCH potential that EA needs to take and expand upon it as much as physically possible.
    I completely agree. I really hope that they expand on them both quite a bit. Custom Conferences, Custom Playbooks, and Coach Carousel is why I bought this game. Any other improvements or additions were completely secondary to those additions, though, now, my interest in Coach Mode is greatly increased and I hope to see more done with it as well (as I said in the section for that).

I don't disagree with you, but I also think it's worth saying that there's such a thing as overcomplication. I don't think you did that in any way, but I also purposefully kept my post simple. I want a way to differentiate between them. What that is ... well, it could be about six dozen different permutations, and I'm not sure I care to say one is better than the other. I just want something to separate coaches
    Oh, I definitely agree. There's no need to make it over complicated, but I think giving coaches say, 6 more attributes to help really define them would be plenty. That way you have the generalized attribute in Coach Prestige and Coach Integrity that every coach is going to be affected by and then you have two specific attributes that define how good they are at the three positions.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything for the attributes that wouldn't involve revamping the recruiting process as it currently is, but I definitely think there's something to be had in fleshing out the coach attributes to more than just Prestige and Integrity at the moment.

Need more options to customize your coach appearance. With the in-depth character creation tools that exist in modern games what we got in NCAA is a joke.

Also it would be great if coaches had traits. There could be categories like Tackling, Block Shedding, Blocking, Throw Power, etc that would affect your players ratings. Each coach would have maybe 1-3 traits depending on the prestige of the coach. Also coaches should have a Mentor rating that determines how much in game / post season progression players got. Finally, coaches should have a specialty. Coordinators could have a position type like Linebacker, Quarterback, or Receivers and Head Coaches would have Offensive Coordinator or Defensive Coordinator.

During online play I'd like it if the OC only played offensive and the DC only defensive, even in user v user games.

Final area I'd like improved upon is how recruiting happens. Offensive Coordinators should have some say in recruiting offensive players but not defensive players and vice versa.

as a coach be able to have 7 on 7 scrimmage on campus and other campuses, be able to watch to see potential recruits, be able to offer on last day.

if coordinator make coaching more realistic when calling timeouts for would like see more timeouts called cuz coach might feel he losing his team to the crowd or they called wrong play and had wrong people on field

Recruiting areas for a OC and DC. I am curently doing this in my CC. Something along the lines of how coaches actually only recruit certian areas and only have players from those areas.

Also just give me a select few schools to choose from. Dont let me start with who ever I want, make me start from the bottom and move up.

Quote Originally Posted by texacotea View Post
    Recruiting areas for a OC and DC. I am curently doing this in my CC. Something along the lines of how coaches actually only recruit certian areas and only have players from those areas.

Also just give me a select few schools to choose from. Dont let me start with who ever I want, make me start from the bottom and move up.
    What kind of idea did you have in mind for this? Something like where you can only select one star school? Or maybe have you set your restrictions, say only coordinator positions and only 1 star schools allowed, and then have the game randomly generate a list of something like 5 schools that you have to choose from, based on those restrictions that you set up.

That would be a pretty fun idea, thinking about it. Just as an example, say I'd set my restrictions to only coordinator positions and 1 star teams, then maybe the game would generate me a list of 5 teams, say Florida Atlantic, New Mexico, Western Kentucky, Akron, and San Jose State. I think have to make my decision from only those 5 teams. Or even taking a step even further, have the game generate those teams, but only with specific offers from them. So say I'd get only OC offers from Florida Atlantic, Akron, and San Jose State, and offers for only DC from New Mexico and Western Kentucky.

So not only would you have to choose between some of the worst teams in the game, but then taking it a step further, you can choose what you want to be at those schools, you are limited to choosing between what they offer you. So if San Jose State offers you the OC position, but you want to be DC, you can't go there. You're then further limited to choosing between New Mexico or Western Kentucky if you want to be DC. Or you have to choose between being the OC at a team that maybe has the worst defense in the game, or DC at a team that has the worst offense in the game. It'd really make you sit down and truly consider which offer to accept.

That would be a nice little set up, have it as an option, during dynasty set up of course as most people probably wouldn't care for something like that, but have it as an option for us hardcore type of guys who want to have the limitations on us and have to make the tough, or impossible in some situations, choice. The fun factor levels on something like that would shoot through the roof for me. You'll really get that "strap in and go along for the ride" feeling at the beginning of each dynasty instead of choosing exactly where you start and under what conditions like now.

Yes, something along those lines. Say when you start CC you choose which side of the ball you want to start on or HC. Then when you choose that you get 5-7 schools lowly ranked that is "in need" of you. Pretty much what you said except you choose OC or DC or HC and then jobs are open accordianlly.

I would have the choice of a couple programs or as OC or DC but if I chose HC then all I would get is the bottom of the barrell. Something that restricts me.

Allow the HC to hire coordinators.

Let me start at xx age and as I get older I get less desirable for certian jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by texacotea View Post
    Let me start at xx age and as I get older I get less desirable for certian jobs.
    Likewise, starting at xx age, if you start on the very young side of the scale, you hardly receive interest from big time programs in regards to head coach positions. Almost every big time program will rather go with an aged and experienced current or former head coach, than with a 28 year old coordinator with only a couple years of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Allow the HC to hire coordinators.
    Exactly. The next big feature- the one still totally absent from this game - is the role of the assistants. As texacotea pointed out in his post above, the assistants are the ones doing recruiting in certain areas. The assistants should bring with them a bonus or penalty in regions, and a bonus or penalty with certain positions.

Additionally, assistants are responsible for development of young talent, so some should come with bonuses or penalties for the off-season advancement.

If any of you have ever played the soccer sim, Championship/Football Manager, I envision something similar as an option for NCAA 12. You'd be able to turn it off, but having it on would make dynasties more realistic and more interesting/challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Likewise, starting at xx age, if you start on the very young side of the scale, you hardly receive interest from big time programs in regards to head coach positions. Almost every big time program will rather go with an aged and experienced current or former head coach, than with a 28 year old coordinator with only a couple years of experience.
    yes. that too

It'd be cool if we could establish (edit or create) some of the 'pool' of new coaches that come in to Carousel in the offseason. For example, instead of it being the random 'EA SPORTS' John Doe, we could edit the pool to include guys like Urban Meyer, Mike Leach, Dan Hawkins, Philip Fulmer, Mark Mangino, or even add in a bunch of top position coaches around the country. IMHO, that would add some spice into Coaching Carousel to see some big name coaches return to the coaching ranks. They would have the full editing options regular coaches have.

I would enjoy it if they allowed me to start as the Special Teams coach. I really enjoy this 'work my way up' aspect of the game.