Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: (Online) Dynasty, DynastyWire, & StoryBuilder - NCAA Football 13 Wish List & Feedback

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Why not? It goes to the "let people run their dynasty how they want" opinion. It also acknowledges that while many of us here want more in-depth recruiting, others don't.
    i misunderstood what he said and thought that the different levels of involvement would be tied to the 4 recruiting difficulties, and not be listed as its own option.

Y'know, TIM, until this discussion tonight, I had completely forgotten how utterly different the "Gameplan" design was in NFL Head Coach 09 versus NCAA. In Head Coach 09, you could have up to three gameplans ready for a game. Each of those gameplans were chosen during the week, during an individual day's practice. Now, since there's really no day-to-day practice in NCAA, that would have to be changed somehow. But the overall mechanic is applicable.

This is a terribly small image, but it's the only one I can find:

It says "Blitz the QB", "Coaches work with WR" and "Improve Blitz Plays" are the three choices shown in this case. I can't see the details in that image, but in general each "Gameplan" gave you ~5 instances to give a certain part of your team a "bonus". Maybe you wanted a bonus to your QB on passing plays, or your HB on running plays, or your DBs versus passing plays.

In theory, they could take the idea behind the current Gameplan system and adapt some of what Head Coach 09 had ... "Conservative" for "Big Run" becomes 3X per game that you can "encourage the HB to hold onto the ball".

This could combine with TIM's ideas and what others have said on the last page ... that it should be a natural extension of attributes, as much as possible. But the "bonus" could be used to "emphasize" that natural tendency. Or maybe you tell some fumblitis-prone Freshman to hold onto the ball for dear life.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    i misunderstood what he said and thought that the different levels of involvement would be tied to the 4 recruiting difficulties, and not be listed as its own option.
    Yeah, I did the same early on.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

since its the colt's game vs new england, the options read as follow:

blitz the qb - put more pressure on tom brady while blitzing
    coaches work with wr - focus on something something something....cant read it very well.
    improve blitz plays - increase the effectiveness of your top 5 blitz plays

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Y'know, TIM, until this discussion tonight, I had completely forgotten how utterly different the "Gameplan" design was in NFL Head Coach 09 versus NCAA. In Head Coach 09, you could have up to three gameplans ready for a game. Each of those gameplans were chosen during the week, during an individual day's practice. Now, since there's really no day-to-day practice in NCAA, that would have to be changed somehow. But the overall mechanic is applicable.

This is a terribly small image, but it's the only one I can find:

It says "Blitz the QB", "Coaches work with WR" and "Improve Blitz Plays" are the three choices shown in this case. I can't see the details in that image, but in general each "Gameplan" gave you ~5 instances to give a certain part of your team a "bonus". Maybe you wanted a bonus to your QB on passing plays, or your HB on running plays, or your DBs versus passing plays.

In theory, they could take the idea behind the current Gameplan system and adapt some of what Head Coach 09 had ... "Conservative" for "Big Run" becomes 3X per game that you can "encourage the HB to hold onto the ball".

This could combine with TIM's ideas and what others have said on the last page ... that it should be a natural extension of attributes, as much as possible. But the "bonus" could be used to "emphasize" that natural tendency. Or maybe you tell some fumblitis-prone Freshman to hold onto the ball for dear life.

Yeah, I did the same early on.
    I don't really like the idea of bonuses or boosts to begin with, which is why I don't like the current gameplan adjustments. I think the adjustments right now could be embedded under a player's tendency within a certain degree of the awareness, discipline, and position specific skill ratings. My suggestion for a gameplan overhaul is for the game to simply condense your playbook accordingly to the specificity of your coach philosophy sliders. And your gameplan is available under the "Ask Coach" option in-game. The result: an A+ coach rating would be very beneficial in calling the best plays given the situation, whereas a lower graded coach will be more vanilla.

As far as in-game adjustments, as has been discussed, tempo and strip ball are okay, but the others need to be rolled within player tendencies and coach philosophies, therefore additional/new adjustments need to be created. Remember, a gameplan is the focus of "your scheme vs your opponent's scheme" (playbook vs playbook). An in-game adjustment would be an adjustment to counter a weakness being exploited by the opponent, such as a pass rusher dominating your OT, so you adjust to have him double-teamed.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMB0B View Post
    Those examples are simply coaching a player up after they make mistakes, not a gameplan. This is why I brought up the creation of a discipline attribute. Penalties are a discipline issue i.e. holding blocks, clipping, jumping snap, late hits, etc. Awareness would play a factor in the case of a player going for the INT/swatting it away, or a receiver continuing deep or coming back to the QB after he completes the route and a RB protecting the football upon contact (to prevent fumbles). Again, ideally coaches would love for their players to always go for the pick. You wouldn't gameplan to just swat every pass away and never attempt an INT. It's an instinctual decision on the player given the situation. Turnovers are an integral part of the game, and every coach welcomes them 99% of the time (that 1% when they don't is during 4th down or a hail mary when a swat is more beneficial).

You make a valid point with the Bears/Cards game. I can see the validation for the strip ball adjustment staying in the game, but the reward currently outweighs the risk. However, there are some players out there that go for the strip even when their team is blowing out the opponent. It's their play style.

I think there's a difference between an actual "gameplan" and play style. A gameplan focuses on the Xs and Os strategy going into the game. Play style is instinctual. Now, I could see the in-game "adjustments" not being removed, but they need to be just that: adjustments. Tempo and Strip Ball would be applicable, but also these...

- Making a defensive adjustment to double cover the star receiver. Two DBs go man-to-man, or a safety rolls his coverage to that receiver's side.

- Or on offense, making an adjustment to double-team block the star pass rusher. Two OL double-team, or a TE or HB stay home to help the OT.

This also makes me think of additional or reworked audibles offensively and defensively. I'll post ideas on those later.
    Completely agree on the "adjustments vs the "gameplan" I think EA does a poor job of naming things. From the get go I didn't like the Gameplan notation as it is truly in game adjustments, which I think is a great concept but done poorly. The problem is that it's to rigid and people just turn it on all the time instead of allowing to actually make adjustments based off of what is happening. This is why I don't think you can add it simply to an attribute as it doesn't allow for adjustments, even great players with high awareness sometimes need coaching.

I agree and disagree with you on the coaches wanting their players to always go for the pick. Yes, a coach would love to see an interception on every play, but not necessarily want a player to attempt an INT ever play. Awareness and skill ratings would definitely play a part here but adjustments could be used as well.

simply put- game plan isnt needed at all, its just an arcadey joke to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post

I agree and disagree with you on the coaches wanting their players to always go for the pick. Yes, a coach would love to see an interception on every play, but not necessarily want a player to attempt an INT ever play. Awareness and skill ratings would definitely play a part here but adjustments could be used as well.
    And herein lies the problem with the current gameplan adjustments. When you set it to "aggressive" or "conservative" all of your players go for the INT, or conversely, go for the swat. It's universal, and has nothing to do with Xs and Os but boosting your players' ratings in that respect. That blurs the line between impact players and role players. Therefore, most of these adjustments should be replaced with more applicable ones to a gameplan.

This discussion has spawned an idea I could see the current adjustments being utilized, keeping with the suggestion they should be embedded into player tendencies. Perhaps there should be an additional coach philosophy slider (ranging from aggressive to conservative) that impacts off-season training. The attributes that are boosted with the current gameplan adjustments could be the ones most affected in the off-season according to your coach's aggressive/conservative slider.

Spoiler: show
    Let's take a look at the current adjustments (excluding Tempo, Strip Ball, Zone Coverage, and Option Defense), and how they could be embedded into player tendencies along with coaching style affecting the off-season training. I'm just spitballing here:

OFFENSE

Get Open (Comeback/Run Deep)
    Conservative coach - Catch
    Aggressive coach - Route Running

Holding Blocks (Avoid Holding/Block Longer)
    Conservative coach - Run/Pass Block Strength
    Aggressive coach - Run/Pass Block Footwork

Impact Blocks (Avoid Clipping/Bigger Blocks)
    Conservative coach - Run/Pass Block
    Aggressive coach - Impact Block

Catching (Focus on Catch/Make a Big Play)
    Conservative coach - Catch in Traffic
    Aggressive coach - Spectacular Catch

Big Run (Protect the Ball/Break More Tackles)
    Conservative coach - Carry
    Aggressive coach - Trucking

DEFENSE

Big Hits (Sure Tackle/Big Hit)
    Conservative coach - Tackle
    Aggressive coach - Hit Power

Defensive Line (Avoid Offsides/Jump Snap)
    Conservative coach - Power Move
    Aggressive coach - Finesse Move

Pass Defense (Swat/Pick)
    Conservative coach - Play Recognition
    Aggressive coach - Man Coverage

QB Contain (Play Pass/Play QB)
    Conservative coach - Zone Coverage
    Aggressive coach - Pursuit

These attributes all have to do with the focus of off-season training, depending on your coach's conservative/aggressive style. A balanced coach would affect both ratings.

So, hypothetically, if you recruit a player with a certain tendency, your coach's style could affect his training where he changes to balanced, and eventually the opposite tendency by the time he's a senior (the rate of change would depend on your coach's rating i.e. letter grade, and player's potential). Ex. run stopping DL progressing to a pass rusher fitting your coach's style.

The other adjustments (Tempo, Strip Ball, Zone Coverage, and Option Defense) could remain as is. However, some more offensive adjustments need to be added to balance it out. Suggestions?
    Last edited by TIMB0B; 06-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMB0B View Post

The other adjustments (Tempo, Strip Ball, Zone Coverage, and Option Defense) could remain as is. However, some more offensive adjustments need to be added to balance it out. Suggestions?
    If "Strip Ball" stays in, then "Big Run" (Protect the Ball) needs to stay to counter the adjustment.

OFFENSE
    Big Run CONSERVATIVE: PROTECT THE BALL
    (+) Lower Fumble Chance
    (-) Less Broken Tackles
    AGGRESSIVE: BREAK MORE TACKLES
    (+) Higher Broken Tackle Chance
    (-) Fumble the ball more often
    Tempo CONSERVATIVE: CHEW CLOCK
    (+) Accelerated Game Clock
    (-) Less Time to Snap the Ball
    AGGRESSIVE: HURRY-UP
    (+) Get Set Quickly
    (-) Fatigue Faster
    *Cadence CONSERVATIVE: SILENT COUNT
    (+) No False Starts
    (-) Lower Offensive Jump Snap Chance
    AGGRESSIVE: HARD COUNT
    (+) Higher Offensive Jump Snap Chance
    (-) More False Starts
    *Offensive Line Splits CONSERVATIVE: NARROW SPLITS
    (+) Prevent Inside Blitzes
    (-) Smaller Running Lanes
    AGGRESSIVE: WIDE SPLITS
    (+) Bigger Running Lanes
    (-) Susceptible to Inside Blitzes
    *Run Blocking Scheme CONSERVATIVE: MAN BLOCKING
    (+) Block Assigned Man
    (-) Minimal upfield progression
    AGGRESSIVE: ZONE BLOCKING
    (+) Base, Backer, to Safety Progression
    (-) Backside Defenders unblocked
    *Passing Offense CONSERVATIVE: QUICK ROUTES
    (+) Receivers Look for Pass Immediately
    (-) Shorter Route Depth
    AGGRESSIVE: STRETCH THE FIELD
    (+) Deeper Route Depth
    (-) Receivers Look for Pass Later
    DEFENSE
    Strip Ball CONSERVATIVE: WRAP UP
    (+) Less Broken Tackles
    (-) Lower Strip Ball Chance
    AGGRESSIVE: STRIP BALL
    (+) Higher Strip Ball Chance
    (-) More Broken Tackles
    Zone Defense CONSERVATIVE: LOOSE ZONES
    (+) Zone Depth is Deeper
    (-) Higher Chance to Get Beat Short
    AGGRESSIVE: TIGHT ZONES
    (+) Zone Depth is Shorter
    (-) Higher Chance to Get Beat Deep
    Option Defense CONSERVATIVE: PLAY PITCH MAN
    (+) Focus on Pitch Man
    (-) Leave Quarterback
    AGGRESSIVE: PLAY QB
    (+) Focus on Quarterback
    (-) Leave Pitch Man
    *Defensive Line Techniques CONSERVATIVE: 2-GAP
    (+) Occupy Blockers to Free Up Linebackers
    (-) Less Chance of Making a Play in the Backfield
    AGGRESSIVE: 1-GAP
    (+) Higher Chance of Backfield Disruption
    (-) Susceptible to Screens and Playaction Pass
    *Linebackers CONSERVATIVE: READ PASS
    (+) Initial Step toward Coverage Assignment
    (-) Susceptible to Screens and Draws
    AGGRESSIVE: GAP READ
    (+) Initial Step toward Run Gap Assignment
    (-) Susceptible to Playaction and Intermediate Pass
    *Safety Support CONSERVATIVE: ROLL COVERAGE
    (+) Cloud Cover Keyed Receiver
    (-) Susceptible to Run
    AGGRESSIVE: LOAD BOX
    (+) Run Support
    (-) Susceptible to Playaction and Deep Pass
    * Denotes NEW Adjustment
    Last edited by TIMB0B; 07-08-2012 at 07:40 PM.