Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The JBHuskers NCAA Conference Realignment Plan

• Facebook
  • Display

The JBHuskers NCAA Conference Realignment Plan

Here's what I think the landscape is going to look like after the smoke settles.

Big 14 (Formally Big 10)

West
    Nebraska
    Missouri
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Illinois
    Northwestern

East
    Michigan
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Rutgers
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Michigan State

Pac 16 (Formally Pac 10)

West
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    USC
    California
    Stanford
    UCLA
    Washington State

East
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Texas A&M
    Colorado
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State

Mountain West

North
    Utah
    BYU
    Iowa State
    Air Force
    Wyoming
    Colorado State
    Boise State

South
    San Diego State
    New Mexico
    TCU
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    UNLV
    Baylor

I think to fill the void that Rutgers leaves in the Big East, Memphis would move from Conference USA. I think the WAC would just go from 9 to 8 teams and leave it at that. There could be a school to emerge from D-II to fill the void in Conference USA with Memphis moving, or someone from the Sun Belt like a Middle Tennessee State would move, and the Sun Belt would drop from 9 to 8 teams just like the WAC.

So what are your thoughts?
    Last edited by JBHuskers; 06-11-2010 at 10:38 AM.

sagnaw valley or iup could be the division two schools actually they could bring in mulitple dII schools to get other conferences to 16 teams. also they would have to make all confernces BCS eligible and and limit them to at least 2 per conference

- I think Rutgers will join the Big 10 if/when Notre Dame does and IMO Mizzou is on the outside looking in.

- Kansas is really interesting. They want that BCS conference TV deal money and rep, but they also want KU basketball in a top bball conference. The Mountain West appears to become a full-fledged BCS conference if the Big 12 collapses, but the MWC isn't a power conference in basketball. They could go Big East, but they have to wait and see if the Big East gets purged later on as well. If Rutgers goes Big 10 or some Big East schools move to a purged ACC (FSU/Miami/VT go to SEC), that could lead to the entire conference changing.

- There is some talk that the Pac-10 would NOT have a conference championship game and would get TWO automatic BCS berths. IIRC, Texas is/was pushing for that if/when they join.

I think (hope) you're right about the Pac-16. There's been talk in the last couple days about A&M wanting to join the SEC. It'd be a shame to split them and Texas.

Assuming the Big Ten is as desperate to get Notre Dame as everyone says they are, I could see Missouri getting left out, with the Big Ten adding Nebraska and then raiding three teams from the Big East to force Notre Dame's hand. I'm not sure who else besides Rutgers they might add though. I'm curious, as Huskers fans, how do guys feel about losing 100 years of tradition with the other (former) Big 8 schools?

I actually really like the idea of merging the Mountain West and the Big 12 leftovers. It's not a good fit for Kansas basketball, but from a football perspective, it make a lot of sense.

If the Pac-16 and Big 14 become a reality, I'd be really surprised if the SEC didn't also expand, most likely by raiding the ACC. In that case, whoever is left from the ACC and Big East would almost certainly have to merge.

Quote Originally Posted by ebin View Post
    I think (hope) you're right about the Pac-16. There's been talk in the last couple days about A&M wanting to join the SEC. It'd be a shame to split them and Texas.

Assuming the Big Ten is as desperate to get Notre Dame as everyone says they are, I could see Missouri getting left out, with the Big Ten adding Nebraska and then raiding three teams from the Big East to force Notre Dame's hand. I'm not sure who else besides Rutgers they might add though. I'm curious, as Huskers fans, how do guys feel about losing 100 years of tradition with the other (former) Big 8 schools?

I actually really like the idea of merging the Mountain West and the Big 12 leftovers. It's not a good fit for Kansas basketball, but from a football perspective, it make a lot of sense.

If the Pac-16 and Big 14 become a reality, I'd be really surprised if the SEC didn't also expand, most likely by raiding the ACC. In that case, whoever is left from the ACC and Big East would almost certainly have to merge.
    The last SEC expansion rumor I read/heard was A&M joining and then getting Virginia Tech out of the ACC.

As a Nebraska fan, it felt like we lost our Big 8 relationships and ties when the Big 8 ended. Oklahoma decided they wanted to play Texas each year and Nebraska twice every four years, the Kansas schools and Missouri have always held their own bond, the Texas schools (out of SWC) were all tied at the hip, and throughout the Big 12, the Big 8 schools and conference began to go along with whatever the Texas schools wanted. Not to mention, all Big 8 records were thrown out at the start of the Big 12.

I feel bad for the schools who are likely going to find themselves on the outside looking in (at least temporarily) and also for likely lost rivalries with Kansas, Missouri, K-State, Iowa State but as soon as the Big 12/Texas issued the "ultimatum" to NU, we had to go. We were likely out the door anyways, but that sealed it.

Historically, we had a rivalry with Minnesota decades ago and used to play Iowa routinely. We've also had some great battles with Penn State and there's history with Michigan (1997 season, 2005 Alamo Bowl). I'm confident we will establish new rivalries.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I'm confident we will establish new rivalries.
    We easily will I think. Especially Iowa and Michigan.

Pretty good guesses JB. I'd rather the Big 10 stay at 12 teams for now. Adding Rutgers and Missouri just to get to 14 doesn't thrill me. Not bad but I say stay at 12 and add a conference championship. No matter what happens I want these changes in for 2011, not 2012. It would suck to have to wait two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Pretty good guesses JB. I'd rather the Big 10 stay at 12 teams for now. Adding Rutgers and Missouri just to get to 14 doesn't thrill me. Not bad but I say stay at 12 and add a conference championship. No matter what happens I want these changes in for 2011, not 2012. It would suck to have to wait two years.
    Nebraska will definitely happen in 2011....July 1, 2011 to be exact.

I just don't like anything about the PAC 10 to PAC 16.... way too big and if there's not a championship game that is one step forward and two steps backwards.

So when UT, TTU, OU, and OSU all go to the Pac-10, will it take effect in 2011 or 2012?

Joe Schad on ESPN said that Jim Delany called Dan Beebe and said "we're not interested in any other Big 12 schools". Doesn't bode well for Missouri.

How can the PAC 16 not have a conference championship game? Heck, the conference will be so big you will only play someone from the other division every four years or so.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    How can the PAC 16 not have a conference championship game? Heck, the conference will be so big you will only play someone from the other division every four years or so.
    With two automatic BCS births, and the fact that it will be a 16 team conference (and as you pointed out, some teams will only play each other once every 4 years), not having a championship game, though terrible for BCS Bowls (can't wait until a playoff gets rid of this bullshit), makes logical sense for the teams involved.

Personally, I think any conference without a championship game needs to do whatever possible to get large enough to have two divisions and have a championship game (Big East, Big 10, and Pac 10) or dissolve into these 4 Power Conferences and be done with it. Whatever it takes to get a playoff and WVU isn't left out is fine with me.

I think the only way the New Big 12 goes to 14 is if ND joins, then Rutgers would probably get the invite. Otherwise that conference is set and would add a conference championship to the docket, which a lot of coaches (namely Paterno) have asked for. KU/KSU/Missouri/Iowa st. would be the best 4some for the MWC. It would only make sense to add those Missouri vs Kansas rivalries to the conference if at all possible. Those are some of the better rivalries in football really.

JB and cdj are right about Nebraska. I can see some very good rivalries in that conference involving the Huskers. If ND joins, that conference is going to have even more dynamite matchups every weekend.

The Pac has never liked the idea of a championship game, and of course scooping up (arguably) the better half of a power conference (which will make 1 less conference now), wouldn't want to lose a spot for any of those schools. With USC down I still foresee a very strong North division, and someone will step up and make a worthy BCS team. The real argument though for the Pac 16 is that a team from each division could come out undefeated and potentially make a Nat'l Championship caliber matchup. If that happens they don't want to lose the extra money because of a conference championship.

For my money, I hope they go to Automatic BCS Berths period. I hate the system currently of 'qualifying record'. If there is no playoff (and I personally like the bowl system), this is the way to go imo. Also, under this setup, it would force everyone to join a league, which I think is the best way to go. If you don't win the conference you don't get in.

2 - Pac 16 *1 each division*
    2 - SEC (especially if/when they expand) *1 each division*
    1 - New Big 12(14) *Conference Championship*
    1 - Big east *Conference Championship*
    1 - MWC *Conference Championship*
    1 - ACC *Outright Champion (assuming the 3 big schools head to the SEC. Unless the ACC re-expands to 12 teams with Army, Navy, and another school, in which case a Championship game would still be the setup)*
    1 - MAC/CUSA *BCS qualifying Championship game*
    1 - WAC/Sunbelt *BCS qualifying Championship game*
    Last edited by Jayrah; 06-12-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Well TCU would be stopping Baylor's entrance into the Mountain West. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5279018

This means Conference USA for Baylor and Mizzou? I'm going to work on an updated "guess" now.

Update #2

Big 10

West
    Nebraska
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Illinois
    Notre Dame
    Northwestern

East
    Michigan
    Rutgers
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Michigan State

Pac 10

West
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Washington
    USC
    California
    Stanford
    UCLA
    Washington State

South
    Arizona
    Arizona State
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Colorado
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State

Mountain West

North
    Utah
    BYU
    Air Force
    Wyoming
    Colorado State
    Boise State

South
    San Diego State
    New Mexico
    TCU
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Missouri
    UNLV

SEC

East
    Florida
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    South Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    Auburn
    Alabama

West
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Arkansas
    Kentucky
    Mississippi State
    Texas A&M
    Southern Miss

Conference USA

East
    Tulane
    East Carolina
    UCF
    Marshall
    UAB
    Iowa State

West
    Houston
    SMU
    Tulsa
    UTEP
    Rice
    Baylor

Update notes: I'm actually convinced for the first time that Notre Dame is going to the Big Ten. I'm dropping Missouri out in favor of them. I will put Notre Dame in the east, and move Michigan to the west (which would be awesome that we'd get to play them every year....I think the Big Ten almost has to make this matchup EVERY year). I have a feeling that Rutgers is still #3 on their "power list" behind Notre Dame and Nebraska.

I'm moving A&M out of the Pac 10 now and putting them in the SEC. I really can't find another team that would join the Pac 10 to make 16 teams, with A&M supposedly going to the SEC, so I'm going to just leave that conference at 15 teams with the "North Division" consisting of original Pac 10 members, and a seven-team "South Division". I'm also keeping an odd number of teams in the Mountain West. So maybe Utah could bolt for the Pac 10 to even things out, but it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.

I'm moving Iowa State and Baylor out of the Mountain West after reports that TCU would block Baylor's move to that conference (which I'm not totally understanding right now). I'm still moving Memphis to the Big East (which will be a beast in basketball). I'm going to go out on a limb and move Southern Miss to the SEC to give them three Mississippi teams. Going to move the two Alabama teams to the East to keep them together, and move Kentucky to the West.

I'm moving Iowa State and Baylor into Conference USA to fill the spots left by Memphis and Southern Miss, as I'm keeping Memphis replacing Rutgers in the Big East.
    Last edited by JBHuskers; 06-13-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Flip flopped Michigan and Notre Dame in Big 10

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    I can't believe the thought that the inroad to New York/New Jersey is so damn important that they're willing to forget the absolutely ATROCIOUS play of Rutgers and invite them into the Big 10. Talk about watering down the league even more...

Quote Originally Posted by HWill View Post
    Joe Schad on ESPN said that Jim Delany called Dan Beebe and said "we're not interested in any other Big 12 schools". Doesn't bode well for Missouri.
    Yes and no. Schad's statement included something along the lines of "right now". There's been reporting that has suggested that the Big Ten is concerned with gaining a reputation as the harbinger that brought about the destruction of the Big 12 and everything else. Personally, I think that ship has sailed and we're going to be blamed anyway.

I think they're just waiting for two things: Notre Dame and the death of the Big 12. If Notre Dame says yes, the Big Ten would need a 14th school. I think Missouri would be the quickest (and most likely) addition then. If Notre Dame doesn't join, then either the Big Ten keeps at 12 or adds two. If the Big 12 dies (with the ship-jumping of the entire Big 12 South), then its even easier to add Missouri.

I still think Missouri and Notre Dame being conference members is inevitable at this point.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

If one thing is for certain...the Big Ten is not even close to blame for the demise of the Big XII. From the sounds of things, the writing was on the wall from day one in the Big XII. Everything was done to accommodate Texas, and finally teams (like us and Colorado) stood up to it before it really imploded.

Everything was done to accommodate Texas
    Especially since word is out, albeit not sure how accurate, that an UT faction was wanting that demise of the B12 and is in favor of jumping to the B10 since this started, while the other faction is just plain mad that at the B10 for taking Nebraska.

In order to keep The Game, I don't see how they split OSU and UM into separate divisions. It forces PSU and Nebraska into the other division, really.......with the current 12 at least, those are the 4 powers, although Wisconsin and Iowa would be butt-hurt to not be included as considerations as conf powers.