Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 Discussion

• Facebook
  • Display
    That could be it, too. That never even crossed my mind, but it would make a lot of sense. That just makes the deal even sweeter.

I'm loving the new photo & video features. I was already a pretty big Picasa user (another way Google owns my life) so adding that is pretty big for me. As well, with a quick tinkering with the video editor, it's actually kinda nice. I edited a quick video that I captured from my HDPVR and it handled the M2TS video file natively with ease (a rare feat for video editors). Not sure if I'll actually use it or not but there's a possibility that I could end up using this for highlight videos... just have to see how bad it is for doing hour long videos instead of 10 min videos.

Here's the video I edited. All in all, really quite painless if you are at all familiar with video editing. Granted I didn't do a whole lot to it, I just cut out some footage before & after this clip. As well, you can add music, which I did with one of the built-in tracks. I assume you could select music that's on your HDD but I didn't have any so I didn't bother.

One thing of note is that the video is supposed to be 720p. Not sure if it's because it's still processing or what but currently it only offers up to 480p.

Hopefully this encourages more developers to use ability to capture clips of gameplay, but I doubt it.

What did you do, Tommy? Record to CPU HD, move to PS3, then edit and upload?

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    What did you do, Tommy? Record to CPU HD, move to PS3, then edit and upload?
    Yeah. I recorded it earlier today (testing out my HDPVR) and just copied over the video clip from a thumb-drive. Then went through the edit process and uploaded it.

Sweet. It looks pretty sharp to me so I may have to try it out.

Wow, I wish the 360 offered that. I might get a PS3 and call it my capture card/bluray player..

This basically gives Sony a perfect opportunity to one up themselves over the 360 and the Wii when it comes to being a complete multimedia machine. Where you see none of this technology on those systems, the PS3 basically has the opportunity here to allow EVERYONE(with or without a PVR) to record, edit, and upload gameplay without any special equipment or even a computer. If only they would make it mandatory for developers to include video capture like you see in games like Just Cause 2. You could record the gameplay to your PS3 using the in game feature, edit it with the new video editor, and then upload it straight to youtube. Unfortunately, I don't see many developers utilizing that feature before the update, nor do I see them utilizing it in the future, and I definitely don't see Sony making it a requirement.

The Photo Gallery tie-in with Facebook is pretty cool, IMO. You can not only upload pics from your PS3, but can also browse all of your friends pics and see & leave comments as well.

I like how it shows your trophy rating on your player card now. It was pretty cumbersome to call up trophies just to see that before.

Tommy - Can you see yourself using the new video editor in lieu your current editing software? Do you think this will replace your current recording setup? You know I ask because my setup is pretty similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    Tommy - Can you see yourself using the new video editor in lieu your current editing software? Do you think this will replace your current recording setup? You know I ask because my setup is pretty similar to yours.
    Right off the bat, I can say no. The only reason I know it won't replace it is because apparently you can't upload video higher than 480p. With that said though, I doubt I would use it as my everyday editor anyway. I could see using it occasionally for short clips but for a full highlight video, I don't think it would be worth it. I might tinker with it on a highlight video eventually to see if I change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by spiker View Post
    I like how it shows your trophy rating on your player card now. It was pretty cumbersome to call up trophies just to see that before.
    I saw that right away and was glad they did that as well. However, it could be better. Slap the number of trophies for bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and total right below the trophy level and it'll be 100% perfect. It'll still be neat, but it wont look so bare bones and will be a lot easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I saw that right away and was glad they did that as well. However, it could be better. Slap the number of trophies for bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and total right below the trophy level and it'll be 100% perfect. It'll still be neat, but it wont look so bare bones and will be a lot easier to use.
    Yep eventually they'll get there probably, step-by-step so it doesn't totally fuck things up

Sony has been coy on whether Hulu Plus would be available only to PlayStation Plus subscribers. There may be a reason for that. A $170 reason.

The guys at Technologizer have found that in the source code for Hulu Plus' "devices" page, you can find the following point:

"The instructions below will help you install Hulu Plus on your PS3. Note: you must be a subscriber of the Playstation Plus Network."

It's not displayed on the actual page, but as you can see below, it's definitely in the code (or at least was at time of publishing).

While this isn't official confirmation from either Sony or Hulu, it doesn't look like a typo or slip of the tongue, either. Assuming this is true, if Hulu on your TV was a driving force behind you subscribing to PlayStation Plus, it would cost you $170 a year for the privilege ($50 for PS+, $10 a month for twelve months of Hulu Plus).

That's crazy. If you were signing up to PlayStation Plus anyways, knock yourself out, but this is hardly an enticing way to "build value".

Course, this craziness isn't specific to Sony's console. It's bound to be repeated all over again next year when the service becomes available on the Xbox 360, as it will definitely require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.
    Kotaku

If this turns out to be true, it sucks.

Yeah, I saw that in the source code yesterday. I might have actually scooped Kotaku!!!

I was presuming that a PSN+ subscription would give you a Hulu Plus subscription. If you have to get both, that's horribly stupid. Not that I really care (won't use it anyway), but there's almost no value in making us pay for both.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

When Hulu comes to the Xbox 360, you're going to need to be a Gold member so I don't see what the big deal is. At least Netflix is part of the basic PSN plan.

By the way, it was confirmed yesterday that in order to get this, you will need to pay for XBL Gold/PSN + AND the $10 a month for Hulu+ by itself, which means no go for IOU.