Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gameplay

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by pistonica View Post
    Can we get an officiall response about the ps3 retail version graphics...are thay much improved from the demo version?...I want an answer from a person that played the demo and the retail version...
    I'll be honest, I didn't see the big fuss about the PS3 demo graphics so I might not be the best person to ask. That said, what are the specific complaints? Would static comparison images work (from demo to retail) or would it require video? Is it screen hitches, tears, etc. or just general quality?

Quote Originally Posted by fsuprime View Post
    Hey G have you noticed a difference between high THP QBs and low THP QBs? Same with THA?
    Haven't really done much testing. To be comfortable with answering that definitively, I'll want to do a fair amount of more testing.

Freshman
    Only difference I see is the PS3 colors looked washed out a little and don't pop like the 360 retail version videos. That is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by gschwendt View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't see the big fuss about the PS3 demo graphics so I might not be the best person to ask. That said, what are the specific complaints? Would static comparison images work (from demo to retail) or would it require video? Is it screen hitches, tears, etc. or just general quality?
    In my opinion the whole quality...the contour,the outlines of the players are interrupted...and with a lot of glimpse...my only problem are the players..they look rough

In my opinion the whole quality...the contour,the outlines of the players are interrupted...and with a lot of glimpse...my only problem are the players..they look rough
    As Guru mentioned, watch some of the videos that we've posted and see if that helps you decide.

As Guru mentioned, watch some of the videos that we've posted and see if that helps you decide.
    I've seen them...and they look good..but on youtube...things can be misleading...so i was wondering if any of you PLAYED the retail version on ps3.

EA never seems to get kickoffs right. They are either overpowered or non-existent. That said I'd rather have the kickoffs how they are now than what we had last year. Those were ZERO fun and extremely unrealistic. I had to super-sim them they were so bad.

I've seen them...and they look good..but on youtube...things can be misleading...so i was wondering if any of you PLAYED the retail version on ps3.
    Yes. Those videos that are embedded on the homepage are uploaded by members of this site, including myself. But like I said, I didn't see much problem with the demo version so I'm not the best to judge.

Yes. Those videos that are embedded on the homepage are uploaded by members of this site, including myself. But like I said, I didn't see much problem with the demo version so I'm not the best to judge.
    It could be from me this problem with the graphics....the display or games settings on my ps3 might be messed up...or..can it be like this because i am from europe...? I don't know...i am thinking at anything right now...i just want that the full game to be the same as yours

if the graphics look "good" over youtube after being processed and sqaushed, then im pretty sure you will be fine with them on retail disc... i mentioned that the people from this site have played the games i linked you to...

"E"

A couple gameplay bugs in the demo, wanted to know if they were fixed in the retail version. Apologies if this was already answered somewhere.

1. In the demo, you cannot flip an offensive play or audible to a different play until all players are finished lining up and are set. In NCAA 11 and past versions of the game, you can flip or audible immediately after breaking the huddle (or, in no-huddle, immediately after you've called a play).

2. Couldn't get an intentional grounding flag in the demo, no matter how hard I tried to trigger one.

Lets have a nice civil discussion about gameplay issues, since this is the gameplay thread.

First Video:

4:38 - first play from scrimmage illustrates EA's fundamental misunderstanding of the shotgun running game. This is a clear example of the "BD-Veer." (can I say broke-di*K?) In the play art in the huddle, it shows the QB's path going toward the right side of the formation. When you get to the line, however, the QB's path follows the RBs path off to the left. On other formations where the RB's path is more to the outside, the backfield action resembles an inverted veer, which Nebraska got a lot of mileage out of last year in real life... could be cool, except for the fact that THE BLOCKING IS WRONG. For some reason, EA left the blocking so that the backside DE is the option read (also note that the pre-snap play blockign art seems to be broken this year as it shows him being double teamed... odd, and also frustrating*) This results in a fully BROKEN play. If a backside DE is allowed to crash with this backfield action, he can play both the dive and the QB, as is seen in the video (gschwendt sees the DE crash on the HB so keeps it, but the DE still tackles him for a loss). I'm not sure if EA messed up the backfield action or the blocking scheme, but there are a lot of formations where the "read option" will be fundamentally broken for the same reason. From the demo, we see the same thing in shotgun formations with the HB on the weak side (Shotgun y-trips hb wk). First play, not off to an auspicious start, but I'm glad you covered it so that I could address it. This is not a matter of opinion and it is not nit-picking, EA has really dropped the ball by breaking the zone read from many of these formations.

*On the busted play art note, I think there is something funky/broken about the blocking shown before the snap this year. Another example can be seen when you run the triple option at 6:30 and the blocking art flickers a couple of times but then right before the play shows the optioned DE being blocked. This could be very confusing for someone who doesn't understand who is being optioned.

As "community representatives," I think that the community expects you guys to be able to see and recognize these types of problems. I mean, isn't that the point of the whole community interaction thing in the first place? When I see a video in which the very first play contains a perfect example of a broken play, I have to ask: are you not noticing that sort of thing, or do you notice it and just choose not to bring it up? Am I expecting too much from my community representatives?

Just so you don't think I'm a negative nancy here, lets talk about some good things... I noticed a shotgun counter at about the 6:00 mark. Shotgun counters were woeful in the past, and this actually looks really nice. I love the way the left tackle starts by taking a pass block stance, letting the DE come up field before blocking him out, which allows the guard to pull through the hole. The hand off animation is also sped up enough to work. This is the type of little "correct" detail that I love. The broken shotgun counters were something that I harped on constantly for the last few years, so it was awesome to see an example of it well executed.

Another gameplay note: I'd also like to know if you guys have noticed any issues with streaks run by outside WRs running right past deep zones. It is VERY easy to see in the demo, and I'd like to know if it is that way in the retail version. I only had time to watch the first video and didn't notice any streak routes run against zone coverage.

As "community representatives," I think that the community expects you guys to be able to see and recognize these types of problems. I mean, isn't that the point of the whole community interaction thing in the first place? When I see a video in which the very first play contains a perfect example of a broken play, I have to ask: are you not noticing that sort of thing, or do you notice it and just choose not to bring it up? Am I expecting too much from my community representatives?
    Pretty sure they bring these things up plus collect feedback on sites like this one to consolidate and share with the NCAA team.

I doubt each and every one of them is a football expert on every formation, play concept and execution, and philosophy out there. Even sites like Smartfootball, which has lots of good info, comes across new tweaks and such all the time found on the real field.
    Last edited by AustinWolv; 06-30-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator3guy View Post
    EA never seems to get kickoffs right. They are either overpowered or non-existent. That said I'd rather have the kickoffs how they are now than what we had last year. Those were ZERO fun and extremely unrealistic. I had to super-sim them they were so bad.

Agreed. In the Illinois video on I think the first kickoff the return man takes it up the middle and it looked like the blockers held their blocks perfectly. In the demo basically what happens is everyone just runs in a blob towards the middle and you have no choice but to run into everyone. Looks better in the retail version.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinWolv View Post
    Pretty sure they bring these things up plus collect feedback on sites like this one to consolidate and share with the NCAA team.

I doubt each and every one of them is a football expert on every formation, play concept and execution, and philosophy out there. Even sites like Smartfootball, which has lots of good info, comes across new tweaks and such all the time found on the real field.
    It wasn't an insult, it was an honest question. No need to get defensive. As you so astutely noticed, perhaps tact isn't my strong suit.

The bottom half of your response seems to indicate that you believe I'm simply expecting too much. Perhaps you are right.
    Last edited by THE Travis; 06-30-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I love the fact that the grill on the gamingtailgate logo smokes when you open up the YouTube page.
    I laughed when I saw that for the first time last night. Guys are getting fancy

The bottom half of your response seems to indicate that you believe I'm simply expecting too much. Perhaps you are right.
    You termed it 'representatives' yourself, right? They represent all of the football gamers that choose to comment. They are not called 'X&O experts'.

That's just my opinion.

Here's my take... you're welcome to dissect it however you choose.

For the first play in that video, I'm not sure that the DE commits either way to the HB or QB, certainly not a dedicated, hard commit like we mostly saw last year. It was hard to read but I'm honestly curious what would have happened had I handed it off to the HB, would the DE have been able to make a play? As for the playart, I agree that it seems odd on the field with the QB angled to 11 o'clock... in the playcall and in the actual execution, everything carries to 3 o'clock as you'd expect. With the pre-play blocking logic that's shown, this is the first time I believe I'm seeing the "fluid" blocking art, I don't recall seeing it in previous community events and obviously in '11 it was less dynamic.

For both though... at the community events, I don't specifically recall seeing the wrong QB arrow nor the blocking art technically saying it's picking up the DE (even though it doesn't). It may have been there and I just overlooked it but it didn't stick out to me. I think the blocking is due to the new fluid blocking art and just a bug in the programming for that.

All of that said, we're certainly capable of missing things whether at community events or even months after owning the game, but I promise that we do give tons of feedback in an attempt to get as much correct as we can possibly influence.

For the deep zones, I'm still trying to put my finger on it but something does seem to be wrong. There's a play in one of my gameplay videos I posted earlier (I think the second one) where I throw a streak to the outside WR. The SS is playing deep zone doesn't bail out in time and as a result gets beat deep. I don't know if that's the same issue you're seeing but I have seen it happen... not sure if it's happening 50% of the time and should only happen 5% or if it's happening more or less or anything. However, we have forwarded that on to the developers in our discussion since just yesterday as a talking point.

Cool, I appreciate the response. From what I've seen on the read options (at least in the demo) if the DE takes the dive, he will also get the QB for a loss if he keeps it (on the BDV plays). If the DE stays home, the play works overly well whether you keep or give. Simply put, the blocking does not match the backfield action on those "read option" plays from hb weak formations. The problem is more readily apparent on the shotgun weak formations where the hb takes an outside path and the QB will run to the same side as the HB.

I'm glad someone else is noticing the deep zone problem, as I thought I was taking crazy pills there for a minute. Might want to check out the pistol read options as well, as it is impossible to give to the HB on the "read option" from some of the formations (though some claim to be able to do it, so who knows... I tried it 20+ times and was never able to give, no matter what I tried).

Travis, do you know this forum is for the retail version of the game?