Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Tressel Has Resigned

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerBlitz View Post
    What is it about the timing that is strange?
    The AD coming out saying he's behind Tressel gave the impression they were going to ride this out.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The AD coming out saying he's behind Tressel gave the impression they were going to ride this out.
    Meh that's the dreaded "vote of confidence" which always comes out before the ax comes down. Hell Pearl even got several of those during his fiasco.

There were rumors last year that when he decided to retire he would take over the AD job.

Guess not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Meh that's the dreaded "vote of confidence" which always comes out before the ax comes down. Hell Pearl even got several of those during his fiasco.
    Yeah but he didn't call it a "vote of confidence" .... something in what the AD said didn't strike me as that.

I figured he would have got axed after the hearing.

Glad he had enough pride/dignity to resign.

But if you look at what has happened in the press since that time, I don't think the timing is all that off. It gave Gee the weekend to consult with officials and time to bring Tressel in for a meeting to solidify things. Honestly, I was expecting this to happen at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    The writing was on the wall on this one for a LONG time. You simply CANNOT lie to the NCAA during an investigation and survive. NO coach even K or Joe Pa would be able to survive a scandal like that.

ESPN Insider lists the following as possible replacements:

1. Urban Meyer My #1 guess.

2. Bo Pelini Not at this time. Especially with looming sanctions.

3. Gary Patterson Pending move to the Big East, I think he could get TCU to a title game...so I don't think so. But $ talks.

4. Jon Gruden He always shows up on a list. I just don't see him coaching college for some reason. Plus he seems to be set on finishing his MNF contract.

5. Mark Dantonio Don't think so at all.

6. Mark Stoops Definitely could see this.

7. Gary Pinkel IMO a step up from Mizzou, I could see this too.
    How bout a name that isn't in here.....

How bout a guy that screwed up in the past, but has resurrected himself? George O'Leary....

It's been 10 years since the Notre Dame debacle.

No. The tint of his resume flap will not go with Ohio State's image of cleaning stuff up. Just won't happen.

Just some names?:

Llyod Carr- Former Michigan HC
    Charlie Weis
    Peterson-Boise HC

Just some names

From someone on Twitter

So does aOSU hire RichRod now? His record of Michigan defeats is impeccable.

WOW .... watching The Herd on ESPNU and I guess an SI article was coming out and Tressel had to pull a Kyle Busch and drive 120 mph home to announce his resignation.

Memorial Day isn't the day I'd expect to see announcements about college football coaches resigning. Plus, there hasn't really been any more news this month. Would've expected this news in March or April. Or in August when the NCAA hearing occurs. Choosing today seems strange.

Unless, of course, something else is about to hit the fan, and soon. That's what I'm fearing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Llyod Carr- Former Michigan HC
    Dude ... you're a Buckeye. Don't you know how badly our fan base would turn on itself if we even thought about that? Plus, Tressel owned Carr ... the vast majority of the Ohio State fan base has no respect for Carr what-so-ever.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Memorial Day isn't the day I'd expect to see announcements about college football coaches resigning. Plus, there hasn't really been any more news this month. Would've expected this news in March or April. Or in August when the NCAA hearing occurs. Choosing today seems strange.

Unless, of course, something else is about to hit the fan, and soon. That's what I'm fearing at this point.
    This.

WOW .... watching The Herd on ESPNU and I guess an SI article was coming out and Tressel had to pull a Kyle Busch and drive 120 mph home to announce his resignation.
    As soon as Tressel knew about what was in the SI story, he had nothing else that he had to do more than resign ASAP.

So he was vacationing in FL, and took a flight immediately.

Talk about pub for this week's Sports Illustrated....sales of that to non-subscribers are going to go through the roof.

As soon as Tressel knew about what was in the SI story, he had nothing else that he had to do more than resign ASAP.
    Maybe. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Lots of people are suggesting that President Gee's "special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program" was basically a group dedicated to figuring out a way to settle on Tressel's resignation. So people are thinking it has been in the works for some number of weeks. The timing may not be anything more than that.
    Talk about pub for this week's Sports Illustrated....sales of that to non-subscribers are going to go through the roof.
    Meh. It's going to be posted online tonight. I'll go with the free version, lol.

Former Ohio State receiver Ray Small: Lol what y'all gone do 2 me that man resigned his self if u don't like me [bleep] u!!

What a joke.

someone just called into The Herd and said "if there is any time for Nebraska to join the Big Ten, this is it"....is it September yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post

What a joke.

That guy is a joke.

From SportsPickle

This is new Ohio State coach Luke Fickell: http://bit.ly/lzoPFk. "The Sleeveless Windbreaker" isn't a very good nickname.
    The new age of Ohio State! "The Windbreaker Vest!"