Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it cheese? DB at WR or WR at TE

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    well,..yeah, ..thats definitely cheese...could be processed though ..?

I'm all for being creative with coaching and moving players around but only if the player ratings support it. Last year I was running a dynasty and had multiple QB injuries that wiped out the position. I searched my team for help and found a TE with a higher passer rating [pass power/pass acc] than all my QB's but the starter [who was now out for the year]. So I moved him to QB.

So, unless the ratings support the position change I don't do it because I can make any player play way better than their ratings when I am controlling them. Just give me the fastest player and I can make him a record setting option QB instantly.

Same thing goes with recruits...I always put them in the position where they are rated the highest rather than putting them where their speed can be used to my advantage. I'm shooting for realism not cheesy victory.

All this being said there are plenty of legitimate formations like Wildcat that give coaches the freedom to use whoever they want at key positions normally reserved for special players like the QB. There are also teams that use a two QB system with 1 guy thats a better runner and 1 guy who is a better passer.

In the end as long as the coach has legitimate creativity in mind and is not just using speed sub abuse I'm cool with it.

In fact I saw a story not long ago about an Arkansas high school team that basically NEVER punts, period...and they always onside kick.... and they have won state championships! Statistics back up his methodology.... maybe I'll ru that this year in NCAA?

Man that is Cheese all the way !!!!!!
    Using a WR at TE - would depend. Is his hand down or is he standing up. If he is standing up then it's not cheese. That's just a sub. We do that all the time in our offensive scheme. If it's a lightweight guy and you are putting his hand down, that is cheese.
    CB/WR - Just do a position change if that's where you like the guy.
    CB at QB - Str8 cheese. You can have plenty of other guys run your offense out of the Wildcat. Use a 3rd string RB or WR. Also, what are you trying to accomplish from the Wildcat? 2 yards. Get a 3rd down back. Score a TD? Use a speedster.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    It's really simple logic if you ask me:

Outside of a dynasty game, absolutely cheese.

Dynasty game, why the hell wasn't he position changed to begin with? Lack of quality players for that position because of injuries? Then that's one thing, but just to play a DB at QB for solely running the ball out of the option is just dumb as shit. Recruit a QB worth a damn and stop being a lame ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach Vonner View Post
    Man that is Cheese all the way !!!!!!
    Using a WR at TE - would depend. Is his hand down or is he standing up. If he is standing up then it's not cheese. That's just a sub. We do that all the time in our offensive scheme. If it's a lightweight guy and you are putting his hand down, that is cheese.
    I did this in '11. I had a shotgun formation that used 3 WR and a TE but I never ran out of it so I subbed a WR into the TE spot and he did put his hand down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rhombic21 View Post
    Just for clarification purposes, there have been instances of this. Reggie Smith was a CB/FS at OU, and they were planning on playing him at WR in a few packages (and did in an early game), but then he got a hairline fracture so they decided to restrict him to defense and special teams only.

Chris Gamble played a significant amount at WR and CB at Ohio State.

Also, Patrick Peterson was a Corner, not a safety.

I think you're overstating this one too. Eric Weddle (Safety at Utah) played in a wildcat package quite a bit during his senior season, and I'm sure there have been other instances. It's really not all that uncommon to have guys at DB who played QB in high school, and are therefore good wildcat type players.

I don't really see the problem with CB at QB. Most everybody agrees that it's legitimate to play HB's at QB, and HB's often have even better running attributes than CBs do. Same thing goes for WRs. There are even packages in some formations that put your WR in at QB.
    I was attending OU when reggie was there. He was by absolutely no means an offensive player. In fact, he struggled in the secondary. He was loved/drafted because he had potential as a superstar special teams player, which he also underperformed at.

Subbing players without switching positions is pure cheese. The computer plays, doesn't coach. It's basically been summed up in previous posts, but the cpu doesn't react to these changes by matching a defender that can cover, also CB at QB is just silly, these are people who want to outrun the defense rather than outcoach it.
    Last edited by Colossal28; 05-24-2011 at 02:00 PM.

historically, there have been plenty of multi position players in college football history. we should be able to have some fun emulating that ! Tebow is considered one of the greatest players in college history but he was more of a running back than a QB. I wouldnt mind getting a Jim Thorpe type in the video game !

I vote cheese, especially on the WR at TE and FS at DE. I can see dropping a DB at WR and at QB now and then, but NOT for a majority of the plays. And a WR at TE really only happens when that WR is huge and can create that matchup problem on the real field, but still possesses the possibility of being able to block........a sub-220lb WR isn't all that effective taking on DEs and LBs on the real grass.........

My feelings are that he is just lining up his fastest players and trying to exploit their speed. He user catches everything and he threw multiple bombs to the CB.
    Cheeeeeeeese.
    Stick skills are one thing, but when someone has better stick skills than another person, it overcomes the ability to play the game intelligently as stick-skill user-catch guy has always taken advantage of it. Even if they don't cheese other things, they'll always throw a lob or two downfield that a real QB would never chance and then chase it with their user-catch, especially if they know their opponent isn't all that good on the sticks because the CPU has historically sucked at high-pointing the ball.
    Anytime someone is throwing multiple lobs downfield........cheese. Real teams only take those chances now and then, not every series.