Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Custom Playbook Setup (Pure Speculation)

• Facebook
  • Display

Your Custom Playbook Setup (Pure Speculation)

With the addition of Custom Playbooks let's hear some possible playbook setups. Now I know this is pure speculation at this point, but why not talk about it anyway.

I think I am going with A couple of Ace formations, Couple of Offsets, Pistol, and some Shotgun.

I loved the pistol in last years game, but I didn't like the entire playbooks, so now I can pick and choose.

Maybe I can call it the "Pistol Balanced Offense"

I ran across this article online so I figured it would give more insight possibly on the NCAA custom playbooks even though its referring to madden.

Jon Robinson: Custom playbooks have also finally been added to the game this year. How big can my playbook get?

Phil Frazier: You can have up to 400 plays and up to 75 individual sets in your custom playbook. You can also have up to eight custom playbooks saved. And with 400 plays, I don't think our fans and our community are going to have any problem filling out a playbook.

Jon Robinson: What's the coolest playbook you've created so far?

Phil Frazier: I'm a Redskins guy who has always been intrigued by the Wildcat. So I built a Wildcat playbook for the Redskins and tried it out. It didn't really work with their personnel, but it was still a lot of fun to give it a try. Mike is more of a competitive "Madden" gamer, so he is more likely to choose three or four plays for his playbook and call them all game long. He is that kind of guy.

Mike Scantlebury: I wouldn't say that I only run three or four plays the whole game. I'm more of a formation guy. I'm a 5-wide bunch guy and a guy who likes to have Full House in the same playbook. Usually you don't find those two formations in the same playbook. A lot of those teams who have multiple receiver shotgun formations are limited when it comes to running formations. So if I can create a playbook that has some strong running formations and pair them with some exotic 5-wide sets, that's awesome for me.

Jon Robinson: Again, though, this is something people have wanted for years. Why did it take so long to implement?

Phil Frazier: One of the important things to know is that when you're creating your custom playbook, you can pick literally any play in the game. Historically, we couldn't load up every play like that due to memory restrictions. So when you start to scroll through the playbooks and you start scrolling through the formations, you have every single play, every single formation from every single playbook in the game, and that's really what makes this feature a success.
    HTML Code:
    http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6440846/madden-nfl-12-gameplay-qa?readmore=fullstory
    So lets hear it fellas.

If this is already posted somewhere oops.

This is REALLY going to be interesting.

I'll probably try to use a playbook of: 1/3 Spread Formations; 1/3 "Traditional" Formations (Standard I Form; Ace; etc...); 1/3 Power running and possibly Flexbone formations.

Basically, I'd like to create a playbook where I can literally run any type of offense depending on matchups and my personnell. Hopefully, the defense can also create custom playbooks so that a TRUE Chess Match can develop between OD coaches.

aww I didnt think about Defensive custom playbooks.

This is going to get interesting. I already have about three setups swirling through my head.

As I employ the 5- wide full time... I play 99% off-line dynasty, I will use some of Wyoming's 5- wide set, UTEP because they have 5- wide under center and shot-gun and some from SMU/Hawaii.

I will also have some 4- wide under center for running if/when I am up big late.

One defense, I love the 46, so I will combine Multiple D and 4-2-5, because they each have 46 schemes and I hate having to choose between one or the other.

I absolutely loved the 46 out of the multi d setup. The inside blitz ( I cant think of the exact name of the play) was an absolute beats with two good LB's. I have made plenty of Goal line stands with that play.

Is was pretty tame out of hte 4-2-5 and wasn't it in the 4-3 book also? As I never really ran the 4-3.

going off the names from the formations in NCAA 11(and the ones we know will be in NCAA 12), mine will probably look something like:

Ace - Normal
    Ace - Slots
    Ace - Y-Trips
    I-Form - Normal
    I-Form - Twins
    I-Form - Slot Flex
    Pistol - Full House
    Shotgun - Spread Flex
    Shotgun - Spread Flex WK
    Shotgun - 4WR Trio
    Shotgun - 4WR Trio Str
    Shotgun - Slot F Wing
    Shotgun - Split Offset
    Shotgun - Wing Offset
    Shotgun - Normal Flex Wing
    Shotgun - Normal
    Shotgun - Ace
    Shotgun - Wildcat Spread
    Goalline
    Special Teams

for Defense, I've been using the Multiple D most of my time with NCAA 11 and loved it. So it'll likely be similar to that. couple of 3-4 and 4-3 formations. I'll probably add the new 4-2-5 Okie and 3-4 Predator formations and try to fit in the 4-4 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Death View Post
    As I employ the 5- wide full time... I play 99% off-line dynasty, I will use some of Wyoming's 5- wide set, UTEP because they have 5- wide under center and shot-gun and some from SMU/Hawaii.
    I read your post and immediately thought of my Golden "O" (simply 5 WR sets with runs by qb's and WR). In an NCAA 11 offline Dynasty, I used Missouri's playbook since it had the most 5 wide and empty sets.

This year with custom playbooks I will use the following playbook (based off of formations in NCAA 11):
    Empty- Flex Trey, Trips
    Shotgun -5WR, 5WR Bunch, 5WR Flex, 5WR Flex Trey, 5WR Flex Trio, 5WR Tight, 5WR Trey, 5WR Trey Flex, 5WR Trio, 5WR Trips, Bunch Quads, Empty Quads, Empty Spread, Empty Trey, Empty Trey Flex

I'm not sure how many duplicate plays, other than QB and WR runs, I will have in all those formations probably very few. I run a few different offensive styles in my different Dynasties, but my pass happy mind just loves the Golden "O", lol. I will add in a couple power running sets either from goal-line or from I-form to help with chewing the clock and with short yardage and goal-line situations.
    Last edited by WolverineJay; 04-28-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WolverineJay View Post
    I read your post and immediately thought of my Golden "O" (simply 5 WR sets with runs by qb's and WR). In an NCAA 11 offline Dynasty, I used Missouri's playbook since it had the most 5 wide and empty sets.

This year with custom playbooks I will use the following playbook (based off of formations in NCAA 11):
    Empty- Flex Trey, Trips
    Shotgun -5WR, 5WR Bunch, 5WR Flex, 5WR Flex Trey, 5WR Flex Trio, 5WR Tight, 5WR Trey, 5WR Trey Flex, 5WR Trio, 5WR Trips, Bunch Quads, Empty Quads, Empty Spread, Empty Trey, Empty Trey Flex

I'm not sure how many duplicate plays, other than QB and WR runs, I will have in all those formations probably very few. I run a few different offensive styles in my different Dynasties, but my pass happy mind just loves the Golden "O", lol.
    Offenses have all these fancy names... you have the West Coast, the Run & Shoot, the Air Raid... you have your Golden O... mine is simply called: Raider. The Raider offense is a combination of the R&S and Air Raid, w/ some West Coast principles in it. So why Raider? Because it was the 2002 Oakland Raiders and Rich Gannon that gave me the idea for this offense.

In week two that year, Oakland played at Pittsburgh and Gannon threw nearly every down... hitting 43 of 64 including 9 completions to Jerry Rice in the first quarter alone! That year, whenever Oakland went 5- wide... w/ guys like Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Jerry Porter, Charlie Garner and Doug Jolley... Gannon was probably somewhere around 90% completion percentage.

They didn't go 5- wide that often, but when they did they were unstoppable. And so... my offense was born! The Raider Offense baby!

Offenses have all these fancy names... you have the West Coast, the Run & Shoot, the Air Raid... you have your Golden O... mine is simply called: Raider. The Raider offense is a combination of the R&S and Air Raid, w/ some West Coast principles in it. So why Raider? Because it was the 2002 Oakland Raiders and Rich Gannon that gave me the idea for this offense.

In week two that year, Oakland played at Pittsburgh and Gannon threw nearly every down... hitting 43 of 64 including 9 completions to Jerry Rice in the first quarter alone! That year, whenever Oakland went 5- wide... w/ guys like Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, Jerry Porter, Charlie Garner and Doug Jolley... Gannon was probably somewhere around 90% completion percentage.

They didn't go 5- wide that often, but when they did they were unstoppable. And so... my offense was born! The Raider Offense baby!
    Nice! I like hearing all the names people come up with for their offenses or defenses for that matter, it makes them feel more alive or personal.

I remember when I was younger I was absolutely fascinated with the R&S (Houston Gamblers, Univ. of Houston, Detroit Lions, and Houston Oilers), but the best football video game of the time Tecmo SuperBowl really failed to replicate the R&S in fact today's games do a pretty poor job as well of replicating the true R&S. I loved watching the old under center R&S more than the June Jones Red Gun but both utilize the same basic concepts so I can appreciate both. It seemed back in the day that Jim Kelly, Andre Ware, David Klingler, and Warren Moon could pick apart a defense with ease and constantly have them confused throughout the entire game with the passing game of the R&S and that was always entertaining to me. I remember that Steeler/Raider matchup and was just amazed how precise and unstoppable their passing attack was that game. Rich Gannon might have had a weak arm, but he was accurate and knew how to throw a catchable pass. Plus having that receiving corps sure made his job easier, even though Rice and Brown were older they still were top notch players at that time.

I Pistol hybrid Hurry-up... now that sounds exciting.

I, Heavy Ace, Strong I, Shotgun

Flexbone is all I need. I'll probably just continue to run with Georgia Tech's playbook.

We naming our playbooks now look out cause the Pony Express will employ shotgun 4 wide 99 percent of the time and some type of shotgun with a TE 1 percent of the time.

Defensively I dont know yet hopefully can get back to a mix of 4-3 and 3-4

Quote Originally Posted by whitepony99 View Post
    We naming our playbooks now look out cause the Pony Express will employ shotgun 4 wide 99 percent of the time and some type of shotgun with a TE 1 percent of the time.

Defensively I dont know yet hopefully can get back to a mix of 4-3 and 3-4
    Pony Express? Then you have to play as

Pony Express? Then you have to play as
    Just the name of the offense in no way shape or form does this mean I will be playing as SMU lol.

But I cant rule them out Kyle Padron is a good QB

Solidice that seems like a Playbook set that is already in the game. Lol

The pistol hybrid setup seems very interesting, before my game broke I still owned all the rushing records just by running the pistil, though having a qb wwith a 95 speed and a 90 acceleration didn't hurt either.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oweb26; 04-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Run heavy offense with a big bruising fullback pounding the line... let's call it donkey punch lol

I don't know yet. I'll probably have the Pistol as my base and go from there.

for all of my teambuilder teams in online dynasty.....my offense will be all 4 and 5 wr pistol sets, replicating hawaii's run and shoot.

defensively, i hope to include a lot of exotic looks. i pray that custom packages and at least a play editor will be in, but if they arent, i guess i'll get over it.

i'll probably go with the multiple base playbook with very few traditional looks from the 43/34. i wanna show the 44 look out of the 425 as well as the 353 stacked look from the 335. hopefully they bring back the 155 look, then i can formation sub a couple of safeties/cb's in, for situational 3rd down looks.
    Last edited by baseballplyrmvp; 04-30-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballplyrmvp View Post
    for all of my teambuilder teams in online dynasty.....my offense will be all 4 and 5 wr pistol sets, replicating hawaii's run and shoot.
    Sounds like that might just be Hawai'i's base playbook, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post

Pistol Spread RNS Switch Smash – Hawaii’s run and shoot offense can now be run from the Pistol formation. The traditional staples such as RNS Switch Smash can now be found in the new Pistol Spread formation. Hawaii and SMU’s playbook also features the run and shoot version of Pistol 4WR Trips.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud