Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gaming Tailgate: NCAA Football 12 Preview

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneback View Post
    I tried out all of the new defenses and let me tell you things are looking good. There will be a lot of people early on thinking the passing game is broken because the defense now takes away a lot of those cheap throws and you actually have to read the defense or an underneath defender will come away with the ball. I really liked the half field concepts.
    How about the pass rush in the 3-4? I enjoyed using it in powerhouse but it is tough to get pressure even with All-American OLB's.

Quote Originally Posted by psusnoop View Post
    How many of you guys "tried" out the new plays. How well were they executed and implemented into the game both on Offense and Defense?
    While I was there I paid more attention to the defense and gave a lot of feedback on certian areas. The new defensive plays work as they should, the biggest thing I wanted to see was proper coverage assignments and the ability to generate a pass rush and I liked what I saw.

Given that all you (saying bad things under my breath about you lucky SOB's) got to be part of this and help shape NCAA 12 what from the play now games stuck out to you guys the most? What was "your" wow factor within the Presentation and the Play Now? And please everyone chime in, I love different takes on it all.
    The new wipes--which are conference-specific instead of generic "ESPN" if you play as conference rivals--are really cool to see. The overall presentation package is much closer to the actual ESPN TV package than NCAA 11 was, so it's really great to see that level of connection between real-life and the game. There are also some cool highlight packages after quarters and at halftime which help to "mask" the loading of progressive lighting, which I know was a bit of a bummer to people in NCAA 11.

It's also awesome to see all of the new "tradition" elements that have been added this year, even for really small schools that you wouldn't expect to see that level of focus on. NCAA 12 is going to be a great tool for people to use to find out about the history and gameday experience of a lot of the schools in Division I football.

How many of you guys "tried" out the new plays. How well were they executed and implemented into the game both on Offense and Defense?
    I ran Kwizzy's Spinner play on 3rd and long and it got my D off the field. I also confused JeffHCross with a play that had a lot of pre-snap movement and looked like 7 or 8 were rushing, but only 3 or 4 actually blitzed (in overload fashion). I don't remember the play though.

I definitely tried out a few of the plays they have posted... The one that stood out to me was the one I sent in to be added "Spinner Buck Dog 1" out of Nebraska's playbook. I called this play against Steeler in a 3rd and long situation & took the pick he handed to my FS 50 yds to the house. Very cool. Perhaps you have a specific play or two you were really interested in hearing about?

Given that all you (saying bad things under my breath about you lucky SOB's) got to be part of this and help shape NCAA 12 what from the play now games stuck out to you guys the most? What was "your" wow factor within the Presentation and the Play Now? And please everyone chime in, I love different takes on it all.
    This seems like a good place to post something I wrote about presentation but wasn't sure where to post it.

As a gameplay first guy, I have often overlooked presentation in NCAA as fluff. Having attended the NCAA ’12 community events for the first time this year, and seeing firsthand the tremendous improvements made to the game this year in recreating the realistic sights and sounds of college football, I can say that no longer will I overlook the impact these details can have on the game. Simply put, the additions to the presentation in NCAA ’12 are a game changer.

In addition to the new lighting system that has already been discussed, things as simple as 3D grass, improved crowd models, and bands in the stands increase the immersion factor ten-fold; making you feel even more like you’re actually watching a real game of college football. It honestly took me a half a game or so to quit staring at the crowd instead of the plays on the field. Pre-Game entrances, warm-ups, team touchdown celebrations, and other various cut scenes have all been improved upon and are a very nice touch. Also, the crowd sounds are brand new and sound more realistic and immersive than they ever have before. Finally, though I’m sure I am forgetting about something, the authentic ESPN presentation has been taken to a completely new level complete with authentic telecast wipes, animations, and style.

All of this, combined with the enhanced gameplay and other little details make this the most vivid NCAA Football Game to date IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    Some of the builds of the game that we played were more complete than others; I did notice that quarterbacks with lower speed and awareness would tend to stay in the pocket longer, while a quicker QB would give up the pass if the receivers were covered more quickly than in the past. But it was hard to get a full read on this at the stages that we saw the game.
    I can agree with that. It's impossible to know what we'll see in July, but the devs got PLENTY of feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ryby6969 View Post
    How about the pass rush in the 3-4? I enjoyed using it in powerhouse but it is tough to get pressure even with All-American OLB's.
    I mainly played with the 3-4 defense just for that reason and was able to get after the quarterback. I think the first game I played (remember we were all adjusting to the new zone coverages) I was able to generate 10 sacks. Now, everyone will gasp at that number but we were all used to spot dropping zone defense and a slow developing pass rush. Once we got used to the new coverages the number of sacks fell inline with what would seem reasonable.

Things are definitely looking good from what I've read here and have seen.

A few questions:

-How is man-coverage? Is it still flawed, in the sense that the defense knows the routes of the receivers?

-Is the new double-hit tackle system properly implemented? Do they rarely occur, or do they happen as they should (basically every play when a ball-carrier is in traffic)?

-How are the player models? Do players look properly proportioned?

-Is the offensive line and defensive line interaction improved? Is there an occasional bull-rush, and not the traditional, "patty-cake, patty-cake, patty-cake - swim move", instant pressure? Do defensive linemen actually use leverage, and not a "quick" move to get off a block?

Thanks in advance fellas.
    Last edited by vertigho; 04-21-2011 at 10:31 AM.

On that second tackle image, I can tell you that the defender falling by himself was probably holding up the ball carrier and the actual tackler came through and knocked him off his feet. That's part of the new enhanced tackling engine.

-Gameplay wise the thing that really stood out to me was the new animations. There are so many new animations that just look fantastic (sideline hits, blow up shots, normal tackles...) I had a blow up shot where I cleaned up a WR who was about to break a tackle that everyone within 20 ft, including the devs, was like "OHHHH!!!!!". Very good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigho View Post
    Things are definitely looking good from what I've read here and have seen.

A few questions:

-How is man-coverage? Is it still flawed, in the sense that the defense knows the routes of the receivers?

-Is the new double-hit tackle system properly implemented? Do they rarely occur, or do they happen as they should (basically every play when a ball-carrier is in traffic)?

-How are the player models? Do players look properly proportioned?

Thanks in advance fellas.
    Man coverage is definitely improved/fixed in that respect. That was my single biggest problem with defense in '11 (defenders breaking before WRs) so I watched that closely and did not notice it happening. Comebacks and outs are definitely an option now though not in any way overpowered.

See my last post about the double hit tackles. They are great, plain & simple. Don't happen in unrealistic situations either from my experiences with it.

Player models looked good to me. Did you have a specific complaint in the past?

The Presentation is very nice. More was added in what I saw last week than I had anticipated based on what we were told in January. Obviously, there are more important things than grass and such, but wow - the game looks good! The pre-game is a little longer, there is more going on now. There are some cool "wipes" that show highlights between quarters and sort of a recap of the first half's highlights right after the second half starts. Some of the entrances (not sure if it's all or some, but definitely some) have variations based on the opponent being a rival. Very cool.

If you played 11 though, zone defense and the new tackling are impossible to miss. I really like what I've saw in those areas and I'm very excited to play defense in 12!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwizzy View Post
    Man coverage is definitely improved/fixed in that respect. That was my single biggest problem with defense in '11 (defenders breaking before WRs) so I watched that closely and did not notice it happening. Comebacks and outs are definitely an option now though not in any way overpowered.

See my last post about the double hit tackles. They are great, plain & simple. Don't happen in unrealistic situations either from my experiences with it.

Player models looked good to me. Did you have a specific complaint in the past?
    Awesome, awesome news.

No complaints about player models in the past. I had issues with the Madden player models, but not the NCAA ones.

One thing I noticed in the new video G posted, the defenders seem to move laterally a tad bit quick when trying to get in position to make a play. The one that stood out was the Oregon(I think) defender who makes the pick as the QB threw into like triple coverage. It seems like he is moving laterally rather quickly in that play.

I edited my previous post, but I believe that the question was missed. I'll re-post it below:

-Is the offensive line and defensive line interaction improved? Is there an occasional bull-rush, and not the traditional, "patty-cake, patty-cake, patty-cake - swim move", instant pressure? Do defensive linemen actually use leverage, and not a "quick" move to get off a block?

For the record, Kwizzy and I went out of our way in January to replicate "psychic" Man Coverage and we could not do it. I did not see on example of it in 40 or so hours on the sicks between the trip I made in January and the trip last week. I feel safe saying it is GONE.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigho View Post
    I edited my previous post, but I believe that the question was missed. I'll re-post it below:

I definitely saw a really nice bull rush animation once or twice. The OL/DL play is very much a work in progress right now but, as I said, I definitely noticed more varied animations. I'm pretty confident that OL/DL play will be much improved from '11 to '12.

I really like that tackle animation in the first vid, where the defender kinda rolls over the HB after making the play. The continued motion was really cool to see there.