Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Madden NFL 12 Cover Athlete Voted on by the Fans - Winner: Peyton Hillis

• Facebook
  • Display
    Led by an online campaign that includes front-page treatment on ClevelandBrowns.com, as well as ongoing Twitter and Facebook campaigns by his team, Peyton Hillis has jumped out to a shockingly large lead over Aaron Rodgers in the "Madden NFL 12" cover vote.

This would be the biggest upset of the tournament by far, as we have a running back who not too long ago was unwanted by the Denver Broncos (a team in desperate need of a back), going up against the reigning Super Bowl MVP.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Awesome! Go Browns fans!

EA did make a smart move by making Agusta its main draw which couldn't have hurt sales

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Wow. It will actually save you more than $60. To actually live by your word, you won't be able to buy NCAA or any other EA product either.
    Thats a good point. I might have to consider bowing out of NCAA 12 too. I just really have a hard time understanding EA's logic with continuing with TW and allowing for the potential for Vick to be on the cover. Just not smart PR.

Hillis is a no name- this is just wrong ..

answer (B) People in Ohio have computers ?

I would love to see Hillis take the cover. He's a great story and I wish him the best of luck.

ok....I voted for Hillis. Purely so the Clevelnd helmet and uniform will be on the cover- pseudo old school style

ya' know..I am a little upset that the champion Packers- - Rodgers, wont be on the cover

Hillis. I will NOT even consider buying Madden with that SOB on the cover.

From an IGN op/ed piece today:
    EA made a fatal error in preparation of the Madden cover vote. The person voted to be on the cover only hurts or helps EA. It doesn't impact a Madden fan's sponsorship opportunities. It doesn't affect a gamer's promotion plans. No one voting stops and thinks, "Man, I better not let Vick win or EA will have a tough time doing a media tour." Don't think for a moment that EA ever would willingly put Peyton Hillis or Mike Vick on the cover of Madden. They expected the voters to do the right thing for EA. That's not how popularity contests work.

The lesson here: never, ever, give people the option to affect your product unless it's something you can live with. The 32 players in the Madden voting bracket needed to be 32 players EA would gladly have on the cover. Because, as we can see with the final round in this contest, online voters aren't predictable. Never assume they have the same priorities or business sensibilities of a publicly traded corporation. The public loses nothing by turning on EA and biting them in the ass.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I dont think the IGN op/ed piece is that valid, just an angle he took.

Most who like football and football gaming wont give a damn who is on the cover. The cover athlete wont hurt sales.

and if you want to take the Vick (his past) angle into it. Football fans vastly outnumber animal rights activists and animal rights activists dont care about the game anyway. Heck, put a Redskin on the cover so we can hear about the whole Indian mascot thing again haha.

hey, Vick did his time, his jersey sells big, people are stupid when it comes to voting. Aside from the fact that the majority of votes are from the internet and the people who are constantly on the internet are the minority of the total of people who buy the game.
    ...but when you let people vote, you end up with things like...Arnold Schwarzenegger as a Governor...

that being said, the possible winner of the NCAA cover has a father in prison....just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    Football fans vastly outnumber animal rights activists and animal rights activists dont care about the game anyway. Heck, put a Redskin on the cover so we can hear about the whole Indian mascot thing again haha.
    Doesn't matter at all. It's a PR nightmare for EA if they have to go head-to-head with PETA. Numbers don't matter ... vocality does. And PETA, and similar groups, have very vocal supporters. Besides, to say that it's just "animal rights activists" is missing the point. Vick has the potential to be polarizing to every dog owner or dog lover in America. And there are a lot of those.

And getting back to the central point anyway ... giving the public the power to negatively impact your product is a very, very bad idea. No matter what, they should have made sure that all 32 choices were ones that they could live with. Maybe EA's fine with Peyton Hillis. If so, good for them if he wins. I can't imagine they're fine with Vick though.

On the upside, Hillis definitely has the advantage going into the final round. There were ~335k votes cast for him against Rodgers, and only ~225k for Vick against Peterson.

i'm thinking of getting an Asian knock off, Vick jersey.. it'll upset two sects of people at the
    same time

Hillis better win or EA is going to see a MAJOR backlash from animal rights activists and pretty much anyone that was outraged by what Vick did/allowed to happen.

Not that I was going to buy the game anyway, but I definitely wouldn't buy it with that criminal on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Hillis better win or EA is going to see a MAJOR backlash from animal rights activists and pretty much anyone that was outraged by what Vick did/allowed to happen.

Not that I was going to buy the game anyway, but I definitely wouldn't buy it with that criminal on the cover.
    Oh please, please, please... Hillis. Honestly, based on principle I cannot buy Madden 12 if Vick is on the cover. Everytime I look at the family pets... I just can't do it. Vote Hillis!

Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    ya' know..I am a little upset that the champion Packers- - Rodgers, wont be on the cover
    Serisouly Rodgers should have made it. Thats who I kept voting for.

My vote is for Vick and I'm buying the game regardless. I always said he was my wildcard to win it if Rodgers didn't win it outright. Plus I based my vote on his play... Very shocked Hillis made it
    Last edited by skipwondah33; 04-18-2011 at 09:38 PM.

On Vick's play? :rolleyes:

You've got to be kidding me.

His stats were absolutely nothing special compared to Rogers, and Hillis most definitely deserves to be in the race.

His stats?

His 1177 yards is only the second most by a Cleveland Brown in a season since 2007 when Jamal Lewis had that ridiculous 1304 yard season but he's the 3rd most by a Brown RB since 1983 when Mike Pruitt had 1184 yards.

His 11 TDs is the most by a Cleveland Brown RB in a season since Leroy Kelly has 16 in 1968. Yup, you read that right, first Cleveland Brown RB to have more than 10 rushing TDs in a season in 43 years. I'd say that's a means for celebrating his abilities, don't you?

Sure Hillis numbers look good compared to those of other Browns. Hillis being here is a joke. So is Vick being here. At least this gives the Cleveland sports fan a reason to think one of their team's is good at something.

Yay Cleveland! You don't even get the fact that all non-Browns fans that are voting for this meatball are doing so as a mockery.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Sure Hillis numbers look good compared to those of other Browns. Hillis being here is a joke. So is Vick being here. At least this gives the Cleveland sports fan a reason to think one of their team's is good at something.

Yay Cleveland! You don't even get the fact that all non-Browns fans that are voting for this meatball are doing so as a mockery.
    My thoughts exactly. Yes, Hillis has done good compared to other/past Browns players. But he is in no way deserving of being on the Madden cover. There were a bunch of players in this hack of a "tournament" that were much more deserving. One of the worst decisions EA has ever made concerning covers of their games.